Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I spoke with them on the phone and based on his symptoms (the fact he's not dying), they gave me the number for a tele-vet service. We just had our appointment a couple of hours ago. I basically sent them some forms and sent them some pictures of and videos of him and then we had a zoom call where we discussed his symptoms in detail and watched him in him cage. We're going to try out a round of antibiotics in case he did pick up something from the pigeons outside... The only red flag she said, is that Dijon is not currently symptomatic but that might just be because he's about a year old and might have a stronger immune system.

I feel like an absolute mess. It feels like I've been crying non stop since Saturday night. He's just a tiny little bird and I need him so much. :(

oh man, my sympathies. they're so fragile and wonderful.

really glad you're going to try some antibiotics, hopefully we'll see a quick turnaround like i was blessed with in the situation with grace. fwiw, she was ultimately sick with a chronic infection that alex never got, and alex is older than grace is. fingers crossed, bird friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

thinking of you and Pesto, Plant. We all are :love:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Thank you everyone. I took today off, I just can't deal with a public facing job. UPS didn't bother contacting me and just left a note saying I can pick up the medicine tomorrow which is like... Ack.

I called the avian telemedicine line and the vet I spoke with yesterday came and hand delivered medicine to me directly and I'm just very grateful for these kind people. This service is new, about just a month old but I think they will be a great help to people living in Ontario. I put together some paper and dried bouquets for both the vet and the technician who've just been incredible so far.

Pesto had his first dose 2 and a half hours ago. He doesn't enjoy having a syringe in his face but I managed to get him to take most of it. He's still sleeping a lot but will occasionally spring to life. I'll take hot showers and bring him with me so he can warm up in the steamy room. Dijon is following him everywhere but isn't acting hyper around Pesto, instead he's just bowed slightly and singing quietly always.

I'm trying to remain hopeful. All I can do is encourage him to keep fighting. The more I just see him sleeping away his back puffed out, all I can do is cry and cry.

Please do the trick medicine. I hope this isn't your liver or kidneys shutting down, little guy.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pull through, Pesto. You have to.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in re temps one of the things our vet had me do with grace was keep the room no cooler than 75f at least. probably not a problem at the moment but something to keep in mind.

c’mon pesto

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Please be well little bird. <3

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Wishing the little one well <3

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Update: this morning Pesto seemed willing to travel between his favorite roosting spots instead of sticking to one.

He's not singing but he is starting to "talk" quietly when he wants to. He complained while receiving medicine today which is better than just listlessly accepting it.

Big yawn!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Update: this morning Pesto seemed willing to travel between his favorite roosting spots instead of sticking to one.

He's not singing but he is starting to "talk" quietly when he wants to. He complained while receiving medicine today which is better than just listlessly accepting it.

Big yawn!

what a trooper. an insanely adorable trooper.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Go little buddy go

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

The fight continues on. It's another sleepy day for Pesto.

Did anyone with a sick or dying budgie still see them stretch their wings and preen? He still wants to eat millet and will do his kissy trick still to receive some. I'm trying to focus on positives.

Edit- he's doing some minor exploring :)

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 26, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Prayers for Pesto. Reviving energy is a good sign.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

He's definitely on the mend. He did a bit of soft singing today, a bit of beak grinding, his stance is perkier with his feet closer together instead of spread out, he's not sticking to the same spot for hours at a time and he's starting to get real greedy when offered millet. Dijon was so happy to have a little singing session.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

He's definitely on the mend. He did a bit of soft singing today, a bit of beak grinding, his stance is perkier with his feet closer together instead of spread out, he's not sticking to the same spot for hours at a time and he's starting to get real greedy when offered millet. Dijon was so happy to have a little singing session.

i'm so happy to hear it! it sounds like he might have had an infection, grace came around pretty quick, too. how many days will you give him the rx?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Heck yeah :buddy:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

mediaphage posted:

i'm so happy to hear it! it sounds like he might have had an infection, grace came around pretty quick, too. how many days will you give him the rx?

She gave me two weeks worth but said if he were to perk up to what I would call 95% during that period then to resume for 2 more days after that.

I'm so excited to hear the sound of budgie music burbling from every corner again

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

She gave me two weeks worth but said if he were to perk up to what I would call 95% during that period then to resume for 2 more days after that.

I'm so excited to hear the sound of budgie music burbling from every corner again

im obv not a vet but i would be cautious about stopping before a week is up. again a different situation, but grace perked up after a couple of days and we ran out the prescription length (i want to say ten days)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Yeah she said a week at the mininum, I should have mentioned that. I'm also to watch Dijon really closely as well but so far he's fine and clearly insane. 9 month old budgie energy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yeah she said a week at the mininum, I should have mentioned that. I'm also to watch Dijon really closely as well but so far he's fine and clearly insane. 9 month old budgie energy.

:lovebird:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

yay Pesto :kimchi: good, good boodge. keep getting better, small friend. You are so dearly loved.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Thanks everyone!

Dijon is looking forward to having his dance partner in tip-top shape. He's always like this

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Thanks everyone!

Dijon is looking forward to having his dance partner in tip-top shape. He's always like this

lmao :kimchi:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Thanks everyone!

Full of dem budgie beans :3:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I know it means little, but I think Pesto is going to be just fine.

It's always heartwarming to see people take such good care of their little Borbins.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

incidentally my spouse (who absolutely is not on the forums lol) yesterday:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Yeah, every day it's like a different part of him returns. Today he started resuming some of his cheekier behavior, like tossing pebbles out of the cactus dish. He's still napping a lot but there's such a remarkable difference compared to how he was this time last week.

mediaphage posted:

incidentally my spouse (who absolutely is not on the forums lol) yesterday:

Aww!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/qu984WS.mp4

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
lost in the sauce

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I cant see that grain as anything but couscous and I worry so much about that hungry little finch :ohdear: What if they drink a big glass of water?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm so happy Pesto is feeling better

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Well, we're definitely not out of hot water yet. It seems at some point Monday afternoon he became a bit more tired and hasn't quite recouped much from that point. He's also going through a molt so he's probably extremely pooped from that. His droppings are starting to become quite moist and bright green again as well...

Still he's trucking on. I also accidentally squirted some medicine on his cheeks. I wish these little syringes required less force to plunge.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 30, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Well, we're definitely not out of hot water yet. It seems at some point Monday afternoon he became a bit more tired and hasn't quite recouped much from that point. He's also going through a molt so he's probably extremely pooped from that. His droppings are starting to become quite moist and bright green again as well...

Still he's trucking on. I also accidentally squirted some medicine on his cheeks. I wish these little syringes required less force to plunge.

ugh sorry to hear. you may consider getting some Thrive, it’s a little birdy supplement powder you can mix into their food. i mix it into the fruit and veg mix i prepare. the vet likes it.

we like to feed a little egg during heavy molts. if he’s willing to eat a little egg with you you can also apply the meds to it if it becomes a struggle.

:sympathy:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pookah posted:

I cant see that grain as anything but couscous and I worry so much about that hungry little finch :ohdear: What if they drink a big glass of water?

Yeah I don't want anybody getting hurt making videos either. That's a hell of a stuffing for a little bird.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Adolescent birds as I understand have the metabolism of a forest fire.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Adolescent birds as I understand have the metabolism of a forest fire.

Oh god do they ever. Now that their eggs have hatched, my local magpies Freckles and Pancake have gone from collecting one breakfast each to making 5 or 6 visits every morning, and even after that they spend all day finding worms and beetles to stuff into those little bottomless pits.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This strikes me as incredibly unsafe, but birds are gonna be weird, I guess.

https://i.imgur.com/CZ0e849.mp4

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Sometimes you get a cat with a weird-shaped predator drive I guess? Clearly it’s a thing long-standing enough that they have bonded, but the cuteness barely outweighs how alarmed I am to see them together.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I may have said it before and I'll say it again no promise of a cute moment is going to convince me to ever put a bird near a cat. I think those video-makers are all some kind of reckless and/or lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/F0Qd3dH.mp4