Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mrfart posted:

But to insinuate that THE STATE MEDIA will just do whatever the people in power on the other end of the line tell them no questions asked was a bit much.

lol

furthermore lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

mrfart posted:

I listened to the these for a while until I listened to the first episodes. Where they peddled conspiracy theories (literally satanist sex scandal stuff).
If it's just ghost stories, it doesn't matter, but with that kinda content you have some responsibilities, otherwise you become some sort of qanon.

hate to break it to you man but unlike qanon all that stuff is real

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Season 3 of The Silt Verses is just a few days from release! From the makers of I Am in Eskew, The Silt Verses delivers a powerful horror audio drama with the perfect blend of vibrant cast, endearing characters, and compelling narrative. They've put out a few teasers in the lead up to the release: a proper teaser, a season 2 recap (a fun re-telling by near the whole cast, not just a dry summary), and, for Patrons, an early release of the season's first episode.

It, I Am In Eskew, and The Magnus Archives are probably the only podcast series that I ever find myself queuing up for a re-listen.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Looking for two possible recs. One, I'm looking for a new history podcast. I've listened to all of Mike Duncan's Revolutions and am an avid listener of Radio War Nerd and Age of Napoleon. I try to listen to Blowback but it's really depressing. Any others on the level of these fine programs? About any world history from any period. Not American, and maybe especially East/Southeast/South Asian history because I'm just not that familiar with it.

Two, a podcast about spooky stuff that happens in the woods. The new Otherworld podcast is all over the place, but the episodes about Bigfoot and another mysterious woods monster were really good. I know there's a lot of dumb stuff out there about BIGFOOT IS REAL! THIS IS PROOF! from obsessive hunters who know what they want to find before they start. I"m more interested in people's first hand accounts and strange experiences - people who weren't looking for anything, but they found/saw/heard/experienced something unexplainable in the forest.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for two possible recs. One, I'm looking for a new history podcast. I've listened to all of Mike Duncan's Revolutions and am an avid listener of Radio War Nerd and Age of Napoleon. I try to listen to Blowback but it's really depressing. Any others on the level of these fine programs? About any world history from any period. Not American, and maybe especially East/Southeast/South Asian history because I'm just not that familiar with it.

There's a history podcast thread but I'd absolutely recommend one of the thread's favorites, Fall of Civilizations, which is generally not focused on North Atlantic states (the closest it's come are the Norse settlements on Greenland and the Byzantine Empire).

Possibly depressing as well but for more existential reasons and less "all of the people who did bad things died comfortably in their beds in their 90s" like Blowback.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Season 3 of The Silt Verses is just a few days from release! From the makers of I Am in Eskew, The Silt Verses delivers a powerful horror audio drama with the perfect blend of vibrant cast, endearing characters, and compelling narrative. They've put out a few teasers in the lead up to the release: a proper teaser, a season 2 recap (a fun re-telling by near the whole cast, not just a dry summary), and, for Patrons, an early release of the season's first episode.

It, I Am In Eskew, and The Magnus Archives are probably the only podcast series that I ever find myself queuing up for a re-listen.

A positive comparison to The Magnus Archives definitely deserves a listen! Thanks for this rec!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah I'm going to check that one out.

I'll put another shout out to Knifepoint Horror. It's been a couple months since they put an episode out but looking at their release history that is not that uncommon.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Cockblocktopus posted:

There's a history podcast thread but I'd absolutely recommend one of the thread's favorites, Fall of Civilizations, which is generally not focused on North Atlantic states (the closest it's come are the Norse settlements on Greenland and the Byzantine Empire).

Possibly depressing as well but for more existential reasons and less "all of the people who did bad things died comfortably in their beds in their 90s" like Blowback.

Thanks! Interesting format, it's like every "episode" is a mini-season

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Any good comedic horror podcasts/audio dramas?

Open to Actual Play podcasts, but they often rub me the wrong way. I can easily find a group of friends playing a game to be obnoxious if and when the players get too "cute" or have an "inside joke" dynamic. So that avenue might be trickier.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Two, a podcast about spooky stuff that happens in the woods. The new Otherworld podcast is all over the place, but the episodes about Bigfoot and another mysterious woods monster were really good. I know there's a lot of dumb stuff out there about BIGFOOT IS REAL! THIS IS PROOF! from obsessive hunters who know what they want to find before they start. I"m more interested in people's first hand accounts and strange experiences - people who weren't looking for anything, but they found/saw/heard/experienced something unexplainable in the forest.

If you liked Revolutions, definitely check out History of Byzantium, the host took over when Duncan closed out History of Rome with the disintegration of the western empire, and after a dozen episodes or so it's honestly better than than Rome was.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Actually looking for a recommendation for a new platform, got the email that Google is killing another thing in its podcast platform. If there is a good platform that connects across an android, and web client all the better.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Pocket Casts has worked for me for a decade :shrug:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I also find myself looking for a Google Podcasts replacement.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Pocket Casts has worked for me for a decade :shrug:

Looks good, but the web version is locked behind a paid subscription which is annoying.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Can i get some recommendations for single person podcasts, like Dan Carlin?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Looks good, but the web version is locked behind a paid subscription which is annoying.
Unless I got grandfathered in with my one-time payment for the premium version of the app a decade ago, the web version shouldn't be subscription-only. Their website doesn't make it very clear, though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Mr Interweb posted:

Like Revolutions with Mike Duncan?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's a dollar a month for something I use for hundreds of hours and I assume they do have some costs to cover

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mr Interweb posted:

Even podcasts with one host reflect the metabolized voices many people. No podcast is an island.

You're going to want to watch Aphmau. Yes, it's a youtube channel, and yes it's about minecraft, but it most purely channels the various primordial voices of society.

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

As others have said, The History of Rome and Revolutions by Mike Duncan are the gold standard.

The History of Philosophy (without any gaps) is mostly one dude talking with occasional interviews every ten or twenty episodes, explicitly inspired by Mike Duncan.

The History of the Crusades is entirely one woman speaking. The first 10 or 20 episodes are terribly recorded, but she gets a better mic.

And finally The Constant: A History of Getting Things Wrong, one of my favorites that everyone should listen to, is one dude talking with only very occasional interviews and guest voices. It's probably the most reminiscent of Dan Carlin on this list in terms of delivery and breadth of subjects. I believe he's referenced boxing at some points, but no boxing analogies.

euler
Oct 14, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Unless I got grandfathered in with my one-time payment for the premium version of the app a decade ago, the web version shouldn't be subscription-only. Their website doesn't make it very clear, though.

You did get grandfathered in. They changed to a subscription model about 5 years ago.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

whydirt posted:

Like Revolutions with Mike Duncan?

yes!

pangstrom posted:

Even podcasts with one host reflect the metabolized voices many people. No podcast is an island.

You're going to want to watch Aphmau. Yes, it's a youtube channel, and yes it's about minecraft, but it most purely channels the various primordial voices of society.

Mug of Glop posted:

As others have said, The History of Rome and Revolutions by Mike Duncan are the gold standard.

The History of Philosophy (without any gaps) is mostly one dude talking with occasional interviews every ten or twenty episodes, explicitly inspired by Mike Duncan.

The History of the Crusades is entirely one woman speaking. The first 10 or 20 episodes are terribly recorded, but she gets a better mic.

And finally The Constant: A History of Getting Things Wrong, one of my favorites that everyone should listen to, is one dude talking with only very occasional interviews and guest voices. It's probably the most reminiscent of Dan Carlin on this list in terms of delivery and breadth of subjects. I believe he's referenced boxing at some points, but no boxing analogies.

thanks!

oh i also should have clarified i didn't just need history specific podcasts. i was just using dan carlin as an example, but any genre of podcast with a similar single host is welcome. i'm needing them both to find interesting stuff to listen to but for my own research purposes

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I'm looking for a new RPG podcast to listen to. I've listened to Neoscum and Not another D&D Podcast in the past, but Neoscum is defunct and NADDP seems too cute for me now. Any big hitters in that genre currently going on? Maybe with a less "tea and cookie" and more like "coffee and sniffing glue" vibe.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

I'm looking for a new RPG podcast to listen to. I've listened to Neoscum and Not another D&D Podcast in the past, but Neoscum is defunct and NADDP seems too cute for me now. Any big hitters in that genre currently going on? Maybe with a less "tea and cookie" and more like "coffee and sniffing glue" vibe.

Dimension 20, critical role, brian posehn’s nerd poker…

https://bookriot.com/best-dnd-podcasts/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

busalover posted:

"coffee and sniffing glue" vibe.

I could use a d&d podcast like this too

Season one of Dungeons and Daddies is definitely worth checking out, season two is a little iffy but has its moments

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have an actual-play podcast to recommend that has little to no metagaming? Just focused on immersion in the story, world, and characters?

I love the idea of listening to games unfold, but I have zero interest in hearing a group of friends I don't know goof around with each other in that context.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have an actual-play podcast to recommend that has little to no metagaming? Just focused on immersion in the story, world, and characters?

I love the idea of listening to games unfold, but I have zero interest in hearing a group of friends I don't know goof around with each other in that context.

I think you are looking for audiobooks, homie

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, what I really want is radio dramas with a full cast, yeah, but there aren't enough of those out there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Snowy posted:

I could use a d&d podcast like this too

the best dumb D&D podcast are the Dungeons & Deagles miniseries E1 does. They're quick 4 episode series, which lets them try weird things and prevents them from getting bogged down in lore or in-jokes. They're all behind the paywall, unfortunately.

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, what I really want is radio dramas with a full cast, yeah, but there aren't enough of those out there.

may I recommend E1's audio movies, such as The Real Story of the Terre Haute Bathroom Club, Saints of Soulard, and The Chosen Boy?

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

The Real Story of the Terre Haute Bathroom Club is one of the most deranged and wonderful things I've ever heard. Dogcatcher Inutaro also.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

busalover posted:

Neoscum is defunct

This looks cool. Is it defunct because it just reached its conclusion, or drama, or...?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

busalover posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743698&perpage=40&pagenumber=37&noseen=1

There is a whole thread here in trad games that might help.

I’m not 100% sure what you mean but Friends at the Table can be a pretty heavy show. It can be pretty funny and cute, too, but it definitely takes its fiction serious and because it’s usually about dealing with oppressive systems it can be very bleak at times (but to me, in a good way).

euler
Oct 14, 2008

busalover posted:

"coffee and sniffing glue" vibe.

feedmyleg posted:

Me, Myself and Die fits both. I watch it on YouTube and the production is great (especially season 2 onwards) but I'm sure it'd be great as audio only too.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm a big fan of podcasts like Extra Credit, Arms Control Wonk, Nonsense Bazaar, Behind the Bastards, etc. But I'd like to expand to podcasts where things get better because. Like, here's how a group of people got a peace treaty worked out. Or, decades of hard work and a happy accident cured a disease.

I don't need the episodes to end with a Pollyanna utopian everything's perfect at the end. Just something that can give me hope for the future based on what people have done in the past and are doing in the present. Do any podcasts stand out for that sort of content?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
BtB has a sibling podcast, Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff. The episodes I've listened to (so far) have been good.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

RandomPauI posted:

I'm a big fan of podcasts like Extra Credit, Arms Control Wonk, Nonsense Bazaar, Behind the Bastards, etc. But I'd like to expand to podcasts where things get better because. Like, here's how a group of people got a peace treaty worked out. Or, decades of hard work and a happy accident cured a disease.

I don't need the episodes to end with a Pollyanna utopian everything's perfect at the end. Just something that can give me hope for the future based on what people have done in the past and are doing in the present. Do any podcasts stand out for that sort of content?

https://apostrophepodcasts.ca/rejection/

quote:

The fascinating stories of successful people who triumphed over debilitating career rejection.
And the insights those rejections provide.

Haven't listened to it yet, but it's by the people who make Under the Influence, an award-winning show about marketing and advertising.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
The new FITP features VoidBurger as a special guest!

The same VoidBurger who is part of the upcoming actual play podcast called Skulltenders, also featuring KC Green, Amber Carr, and Cohen Edenfield. Which is probably going to be pretty good!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The best actual play podcasts are Rude Tales of Magic and Oh These, Those Stars of Space.

I’m currently doing my annual relisten/catch-up of Knifepoint Horror. Good stuff

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Are there any good running podcasts about disasters, manmade or natural? There used to be one called thepodcastofdoom years ago by a guy who was a risk analysis expert that was fascinating and great but it's not running anymore. I really love Swindled so I'm looking for something similar in tone to those.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hallo spacedog posted:

Are there any good running podcasts about disasters, manmade or natural? There used to be one called thepodcastofdoom years ago by a guy who was a risk analysis expert that was fascinating and great but it's not running anymore. I really love Swindled so I'm looking for something similar in tone to those.

Causality on the Engineered Network is a good podcast by an engineer about engineering fuckups. There are 51 episodes and new ones drop from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

Well There's your Problem is an excellent podcast about engineering disasters. Audio quality is a little rough to start but it's really funny and well done, also it can be pretty left wing as well.