Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my moka pot is stainless, ~15 years old, and I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it on an induction cooktop and it worked

remember back when people thought aluminum cookware might cause alzheimers? lmao :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Yup! Aren't most moka pots aluminum, so not compatible anyhow? I would test mine, but I gave it away a while back after realizing that the Flair + French press covered all my bases.

I got a cast iron heat spreader to use my moka pot on a crappy gas range--i guess you could use that with induction??

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

my moka pot is stainless, ~15 years old, and I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it on an induction cooktop and it worked

remember back when people thought aluminum cookware might cause alzheimers? lmao :corsair:

Does it not? Like aluminum layers in a pan of course not but I always thought the aluminum mokapots were actually pretty bad for you in terms of aluminum intake.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

VelociBacon posted:

Does it not? Like aluminum layers in a pan of course not but I always thought the aluminum mokapots were actually pretty bad for you in terms of aluminum intake.

It's pretty small. One study showed it's about 4% of "tolerable weekly intake" for an average-size adult, even if you're drinking three liters of coffee a week, under the worst possible treatment of the pot.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Is this a good thread to ask about grills? I searched and couldn't find a better a place to ask. I am looking to buy a grill to do grilly things on. I haven't lived in a place that allowed propane or outdoor cooking in like 2 decades. Right now, I am looking at this grill here. I like it because it has a sear burner and comes with a built in smoking box. I would mainly use it for searing steaks and such after sous vide, burgers and/or chicken, and some light smoking (ribs, an hour or two smoke on something after a sous vide, etc). I do plan on getting a smoker next year, so that's not important, just nice to fill in until spring. I know cheap grills fall apart, don't start well, etc. I am just looking for something decent that I would use maybe once a week when weather is nice. I don't need to grill daily or for 30 people at a time. Any other recommendations, or at the very least an ominous warning about the one I linked?

swickles fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 1, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

swickles posted:

Is this a good thread to ask about grills? I searched and couldn't find a better a place to ask. I am looking to buy a grill to do grilly things on. I haven't lived in a place that allowed propane or outdoor cooking in like 2 decades. Right now, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-4-Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Matte-Black-with-TriVantage-Multifunctional-Cooking-System-DGH450CRP/314031070 I like it because it has a sear burner and comes with a built in smoking box. I would mainly use it for searing steaks and such after sous vide, burgers and/or chicken, and some light smoking (ribs, an hour or two smoke on something after a sous vide, etc). I do plan on getting a smoker next year, so that's not important, just nice to fill in until spring. I know cheap grills fall apart, don't start well, etc. I am just looking for something decent that I would use maybe once a week when weather is nice. I don't need to grill daily or for 30 people at a time. Any other recommendations, or at the very least an ominous warning about the one I linked?

Why does my browser say this is an unsafe link

edit: your link tag is bungled and goes to url=i

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Why does my browser say this is an unsafe link

edit: your link tag is bungled and goes to url=i

Fixed it! Thanks!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My air fryer failed me today… got some Aldi frozen fried fish filets and I guess they were more oily than usual. Dripped into the tray and turned into big clouds of smoke.

Didn’t know that was even a thing!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

swickles posted:

Is this a good thread to ask about grills? I searched and couldn't find a better a place to ask. I am looking to buy a grill to do grilly things on. I haven't lived in a place that allowed propane or outdoor cooking in like 2 decades. Right now, I am looking at this grill here. I like it because it has a sear burner and comes with a built in smoking box. I would mainly use it for searing steaks and such after sous vide, burgers and/or chicken, and some light smoking (ribs, an hour or two smoke on something after a sous vide, etc). I do plan on getting a smoker next year, so that's not important, just nice to fill in until spring. I know cheap grills fall apart, don't start well, etc. I am just looking for something decent that I would use maybe once a week when weather is nice. I don't need to grill daily or for 30 people at a time. Any other recommendations, or at the very least an ominous warning about the one I linked?

I’m not familiar with propane grills other than my Weber Q, but I would think that if you’re not bbqing for big parties the smaller 3 burner version of that might be better since it won’t require as much fuel to heat up

I think it was goon Gravity who suggested dividing the BTU’s by square inch grilling area and comparing different grills that way to find the one with the most heat/area

Also I don’t remember if we have a grilling thread but we have a smoking thread, might want to ask there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&pagenumber=2

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

smackfu posted:

My air fryer failed me today… got some Aldi frozen fried fish filets and I guess they were more oily than usual. Dripped into the tray and turned into big clouds of smoke.

Didn’t know that was even a thing!

RIP your air fryer.

I recently got one (an air fry/convection/toaster combo) and I love it. It'll roast about 3-4 servings of veggies very well, in less time and less power than my big stove.

I've been occasionally making smores in it too, it can roast the marshmallows pretty well. Not as good as the real thing but not bad for a minute of work.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eeyo posted:

Not as good as the real thing but not bad for a minute of work.

Yeah we all make that compromise sometimes I guess.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm looking for a new Belgian waffle iron. Do people have strong preferences on round vs square? Is there a recommended model/style?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Rectangular is bigger than round but assumes you’re going to only eat one fourth of it as a serving so round if you want to make the waffle your meal or rectangular if you want a smaller piece to be a part of your complete breakfast or if you have a family to feed

Used to be Waring Pro was an easy recommendation but cuisinart bought their consumer waffle maker rights and reportedly the quality isn’t as good as it used to be

If you want to take a chance on America’s Test Kitchen’s latest recommendation, there’s this new Presto
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TYBWIG

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Bought a Krups rectangular Belgium waffle maker 5 months ago. It makes 4 waffles at a time. Works great. Two waffles are enough for me, so the other two get re-heated the next morning.

The "waffles are ready" alarm tone it makes sounds exactly like my smoke alarm. Just an observation.

The reason I picked this one is because the waffle touching bits can be removed from the electrical iron parts and washed in the sink. Other waffle irons I've had in the past were difficult to clean because the plates could not be removed.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We have one with removable plates which stores standing vertically which is good but also comes with an extra set of griddle plates and it’s a bit silly since where do you store them?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
THE ROBOSTIR IS BACK TO JUDGE THE UNWORTHY

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7274376215153233195

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 4, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

https://www.moley.com/moley-kitchen/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1GVwbYURuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95jXEcDYcW4

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm looking for a new Belgian waffle iron. Do people have strong preferences on round vs square? Is there a recommended model/style?

get one that has removable plates; being flippable is nice but tends to make them bulky if you have value kitchen space. this is only model I found that has removable plates, can flip, and still not take up a lot of room

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

halokiller posted:

get one that has removable plates; being flippable is nice but tends to make them bulky if you have value kitchen space. this is only model I found that has removable plates, can flip, and still not take up a lot of room

I picked up this item last time it was mentioned in the thread. It has mostly been good except that the colored plastic light covers melted some the very first time it was used and these little metal washers/discs seem to fall off it and I'm unsure where they are coming from.

Still works though and makes a good waffle.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If, and only if, you also want a panini press, I recommend the Griddler with the waffle plates. There seem to be knock off plates for a bit cheaper too.

Saves storage space over owning two separate ones, and it's good enough on its highest setting vs some of the flipper style ones I've used. It uses Teflon which can be a deal breaker for some.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Steve Yun posted:

THE ROBOSTIR IS BACK TO JUDGE THE UNWORTHY

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7274376215153233195
God, does that meal look unenticing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BrianBoitano posted:

If, and only if, you also want a panini press, I recommend the Griddler with the waffle plates. There seem to be knock off plates for a bit cheaper too.

Saves storage space over owning two separate ones, and it's good enough on its highest setting vs some of the flipper style ones I've used. It uses Teflon which can be a deal breaker for some.

I actually have one of these (someone didn't want it and gave it to me) and I had no idea there were waffle plates for it. This is the best option so far.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nice! Looks like they might have a new model line so check which model in case the plates aren't the same shape.

Zumo
May 1, 2003

.278 And Rising
I saw someone today using their kitchenaid motor to rock their baby's stroller. Anything to make the baby nap, I suppose.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zumo posted:

I saw someone today using their kitchenaid motor to rock their baby's stroller. Anything to make the baby nap, I suppose.

Lmao this sounds horribly unsafe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Got gifted a griswold 10. What’s the best way to strip it? I don’t have electrolysis tools

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Before you strip it, have you considered just reseasoning it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Would that be okay with that amount of rust?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I can't be sure from a picture how deep the rust goes, but I have cleaned more than that apparent amount of rust from a griddle by hand. As long as you prevent it from going any further, you do not care about the rust on the bottom.

e: See this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr-7Qz1_iHQ

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There's a cast iron thread! Also I use Easy Off oven cleaner spray but I've not compared it to other methods. Just works for me.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Recommend a large griddle, induction-compatible, 24 to 28 inches wide.

In my house we make a lot of tortillas. We use a 12-inch stainless steel skillet, which only holds one tortilla at a time*. Sometime we make them with the stainless steel skillet on one burner and the cast iron on another. But the cooking time is a little different on each, so it's hard to get into the rhythm of cranking out the tortillas.

We're looking at large griddles like this one from Made In. It's 17.5 inches wide. We could make tortillas 3 at a time. Could we go bigger?

Our standard US-sized stove is 30 inches wide. A 24- or 28-inch wide griddle would cover two burners and let us crank out 5 or 6 tortillas at once. Do they make griddles that big?

We have induction, so we'd need a cast iron, carbon steel, or stainless steel griddle. Preferably carbon or stainless, cuz I can't imagine how much a 2-foot wide slab of cast iron would weigh.

*You could fit 2 5-inch tortillas in the skillet, and that works for warming/frying tortillas. But for making tortillas from masa, you need a little space for flipping.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It trying to be a jerk, but with induction, I think you’re going to have a bad time. Any part of the griddle that is not directly over the heating coils is not going to be even close to hot enough to cook tortillas.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

It trying to be a jerk, but with induction, I think you’re going to have a bad time. Any part of the griddle that is not directly over the heating coils is not going to be even close to hot enough to cook tortillas.

That's a consideration for sure. I'm tempted to just buy 2 identical griddles and run them on two burners.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bagheera posted:

That's a consideration for sure. I'm tempted to just buy 2 identical griddles and run them on two burners.
that probably honestly makes the most sense

I think otherwise you would have to buy a massive 25 pound cast iron griddle or something and preheat it a really long time to get anything approximating even heat

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I had the same issue with the Duxtop - some pans whined. Nuwave gold worked great for me, and has finer controls to boot. I love mine!

Downloaded a spectrum analyzer since I'm 36 and my decrepit ears might have been hiding something. Nope, looks good!

Grey shows the highest level measured when trying 4 different pans at different heat levels. You can ignore the red - that's just what the sound was the exact second I stopped recording.

For comparison, here's the beeps from microwave, timer, and air fryer control beeps

And for shiggles:

update: nuwave gold also worked well for me. It's not completely silent but it's close, and (to my ear) the noise is in the "annoying" range and not the "drive young people to madness" range. It has some weird quirks and it's not as fully featured but I like it for the price. The temperature control is fairly accurate too, I used it with a small japanese deep fryer pot to make tonkatsu and it held the temperature setpoints. I do wish it had a more configurable PID controller for ramping the power up/down to hit a temperature setpoint quicker and recover faster after changes, but its still great for the price.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7276893974122482987

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Continuing on the topic of my taco addiction...

Would it be insane to purchase taco holders?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FBNFPHG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z38S86S

I can't think of any reason to get stainless steel unless I planned to bake/broil. Can anyone think of a reason to do that with tacos? Or can anyone Alton Brown up some additional uses for these unitaskers?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its 15 bucks, and you like tacos. Go for it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The steel one is nice for if you want to bake hard shells to crisp them but not collapse them on their sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I have a set of taco truck taco holders and they are far, far, far from the worst money I've spent in my kitchen. Go nuts.