Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Interesting tweet, from the start it seemed the game was more optimized for amd gpus than nvidia's (expected), but it's even more notable than I thought at first, nvidia gpus are literally running with 100w less than usual while running the game

https://twitter.com/CapFrameX/status/1698043738000425355

No wonder my GPU isn't running quite as hot as normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

It's kind of lol to get caught criming early on... You basically are force-hired as undercover agent to take down the Crimson Fleet. Like, here I am, dumb level 6 lowlife thug become miner and somehow they feel like I'm the one they should hedge their multi-million only-one-chance operation. Not to mention I fly the one ship the Crimson Fleet is apparently after. Like, I appreciate the whole undercover op thing, but surely it could have been gated by some level/reputation?

One of the dumbest/funniest things about this quest is that the evidence items you can pick up aren't marked as owned so you can lift them up right in front of the people they belong to

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Yeah we desperately need a new driver for nvidia.

^^well, thanks for trying it out for us!

Wait, did you try the free DLSS2 or paid DLSS3?

Yeah Steve from GN said a driver might not fix it but I’m hopeful.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Oh ok I just can’t land anywhere in the main Jemison city areas or it crashes on both systems every single time. Guess I just can’t do *checks notes* any story advancement at all.

Cool game

This happened to me because some of the files were corrupted, assuming you're on steam, verify the game files. (basically a couple of the ba2 archives that contained assets for the target planet, were hosed. Once I reloaded them, poo poo started loading in again.)

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
It's weird how every single vaguely office-ish environment:
- Needs to email Claire
- Is out of half and half
- Has an inspection comming up

Also they are all working on the same molecule, this seems to be a very competetive market!

I usually don't even notice reused assets like this but in Starfield it really stands out to me for some reason.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lollerich posted:

I doesn't seem to work on the Steam version. Reshade version straight up crashes the game at the start. The version without reshade didn't do anything and the menu didn't come up when I press "End". The new version without reshade prevents the game from even loading.

And yes, I did read the instructions, I did install that other mod that is required as well as the dlss file. I did in fact install it exactly as required. It either does nothing or crashes the game.

I hope that either Bethesda will provide a DLSS patch or that there will at some point be better mod that actually works.

Also this game runs like rear end, or a pregnant cow stuck in molasses. It looks incredible and runs well, unless I move my mouse for some reason. Weirdly the game is a lot smoother when I move around using an XBOX controller, but gently caress using a controller in shooter game.

(yes, yes my PC exceeds the recommeded specs of course)

Worked for me. I’m using the Steam version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Popelmon posted:

It's weird how every single vaguely office-ish environment:
- Needs to email Claire
- Is out of half and half
- Has an inspection comming up

Also they are all working on the same molecule, this seems to be a very competetive market!

I usually don't even notice reused assets like this but in Starfield it really stands out to me for some reason.

For me the one that bothers me is the lost earring one. I'm not sure why but it is so specific that it bugs the hell out of me it is everywhere.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

queeb posted:

dlss mod doesnt seem to do much for me, with it on or off i hover at like 55 fps

Did you change the resolution scale

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4zRowjQjMs

tl:dr Starfield performance seems to heavily dependent on memory bandwidth.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Some 15ish hours in, I’m having a lot of fun with this game. I like both Bethesda’s formula and space sci-fi content and overall it’s better than I expected on both counts.

The writing is above Skyrim and FO4 quality, in my opinion. It’s the AAA formula, so choices don’t lock you out of content and the stories so far aren’t that deep and don’t interact. But that’s what I expected and so I’m not particularly disappointed.

I’m focusing on the crafted content. The loop of finding quests and things to do is fun and satisfying to me. The game runs fine and looks good at 1080p on my 4 year old gaming laptop with reasonable setting tweaks. (An RTX 2060, so fairly low end.)

The setting is vanilla, but like real vanilla and not that fake poo poo they put in soft serve. I honestly like the nasapunk aesthetic.

I kinda wish the came up with a different system for space travel / combat though. I’m generally not into the flight sim thing. I’d like something that could capture the feeling of space combat from the Expanse. But I would not expect Bethesda to be the right group to develop it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Splorange posted:

This happened to me because some of the files were corrupted, assuming you're on steam, verify the game files. (basically a couple of the ba2 archives that contained assets for the target planet, were hosed. Once I reloaded them, poo poo started loading in again.)

It’s happening on both my Xbox and PC, the pc game loading through the Xbox store for cross save reasons

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's absolutely worth doing the procgen missions. I've done 3 and gotten 2 legendary weapons and 1 legendary suit.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Not sure how common this is, but I had a bug where the game could no longer save.
It would just say something like save not possible. Turns out it has to do with One Drive renaming your desktop folders. There were alot of fixes posted that worked for people but the easiest was to disable one drive then go into My Pc and in properties/locations hit set back to default. Then restart.

Fixed it for me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think after being a dozen or so hours into the game, my big complaint now is the space travel.

It just doesn't feel like it serves as a necessary gameplay layer for the game. The random encounters are cool, and boarding enemy ships is a cool gameplay touch and creative way to generate mini-dungeons of a sort, but all of it being fundamentally layers of teleporting between rooms makes it feel too underwhelming to justify spending time on any systems like ship building or whatnot.

Like it doesn't have to be space sim-y in that you can seamlessly fly between stuff, but just the sheer number of loading screens, especially if you have to make 2 or 3 grav jumps to your destination, really wears on me.

I have done a handful of the procgen missions, mostly the "kill the bad dudes" sort, and they're definitely fun and a good source of loot.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
You can skip the space stuff almost entirely, especially when you are going between visited locations. It's possible to fast travel instantly from one city to another without touching your ship. You only need to do the ship stuff when visiting new locations.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

AccountSupervisor posted:

That sidequest from the Secret Outpost! notes absolutely sealed the deal for me for this game.

I Am Space Batman. I absolutely lost my mind getting to the end of that Mantis dungeon and discovering the Space Batcave and Batsuit and Batship. What a loving adventure that now will completely shape my playthrough.

Game Good.

theres even some reactivity later on if you do that quest: i defended some merchant ship from attacking pirates, and when i lowered the pirate ships hp they were like "oh poo poo we cant beat the mantis lets get outta here!" and gravjumped away. the merchants then went on about how cool it was to be saved by space batman :v:

there might be more, but thats what i got so far. that whole interaction put a smile on my face :)

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Hate giving a dude 5 bucks for a mod, but that frame gen mod is legit if you have a 4000 series gpu holy poo poo.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Wiltsghost posted:

Hate giving a dude 5 bucks for a mod, but that frame gen mod is legit if you have a 4000 series gpu holy poo poo.

I hate more that Nvidia decided that all prior generations don't deserve the extra DLSS goodness, but that's not Bethesda or Starfield's fault so

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

i am so tired of fast travelling.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

this is so catastrophically stupid it should be the big clickbait stories not the boring 7/10 reviews

like what the gently caress, how did we get here

(also again where the gently caress is my hdr Todd)

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

victrix posted:

this is so catastrophically stupid it should be the big clickbait stories not the boring 7/10 reviews

like what the gently caress, how did we get here

(also again where the gently caress is my hdr Todd)

He's been charging for his dlss mod for a year at this point. It should be in the base game though for sure.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

It definitely sucks that they opted not to do dlss when it's obvious how vastly superior it is to fsr, but also I don't blame the guy for getting a couple bucks for his work when he's the only one doing it

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I am very disappointed with the ship customization in that you can do gently caress all with the interiors. Want a weapons workbench? Get a whole rear end workshop module or get hosed. Can't replace a wall section Subnautica style. No interior designing besides dropping junk items.

UI for buying ships doesn't give a list of included modules anywhere so I don't actually know what I'm buying. "Inspect" just hides the UI while you rotate the camera, absolutely worthless. That goes for basic equipment too, in FO4 inspecting gear would let you see what each individual mod on the item does.

Has anyone seen any mechanical differences between the manufacturers for ship modules, or are all simply cosmetic? I'm leaning towards the latter because that would fit Bethesda's laziness so far.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

netizen posted:

I took UC Native. So far it just gives you some flavor text.

It gives more than that even in the first building in the first town. You get a unique quest from the bartender there. I assume there’s more!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Your parents give you a ship too. That was nice of them. Has lots of cargo space.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hyzenth1ay posted:

It gives more than that even in the first building in the first town. You get a unique quest from the bartender there. I assume there’s more!

The get ingredients out of impound quest? I got that without being a native, maybe you get unique dialogue response lines though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

queeb posted:

It definitely sucks that they opted not to do dlss when it's obvious how vastly superior it is to fsr, but also I don't blame the guy for getting a couple bucks for his work when he's the only one doing it

I'm not mad at the dude, I'm just flabbergasted at the lunacy of a fan made DLSS3 patch for one of the biggest games of the year

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Cydonia is my favorite city to run around in ever because it’s like .30 G and you can just super jump all over the place, lol.

Constantly jumping from the top deck all the way down to these miners who are begging for my help

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wiltsghost posted:

It is absolutely insane I can’t believe it loving doubled my frame rate

What’s even more insane is Bethesda didn’t ship the game with this

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 2, 2023

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh I hit the Scan button on a landmark icon I hadn't visited yet, and it changed to what it actually is lol. I mean, they changed to 'structure' but that 's better than nothing I guess.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

The paid one? Might buy it when I get home

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Why is there no brightness slider? Am I just not finding it where it usually is??

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MrMidnight posted:

Why is there no brightness slider? Am I just not finding it where it usually is??

There isn’t one I don’t think. I thought the gamma was all hosed up/too bright when I started playing - couldn’t find a setting for it

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Note it's the frame generation on the paid mod that gives the insane framerate boost so if you're not on a 40XX card it's not going to do anything the free version wont.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Kaddish posted:

Just be aware that you will probably not see doubled frame rates with a 3000s card. Frame generation is some powerful magicks.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Bethesda followers in small spaceship corridors is not a good mix. Especially the wide load that is Vasco.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MrMidnight posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a DX12 thing because the game is running in a full screen window and not exclusive anymore.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Just be aware that you will probably not see doubled frame rates with a 3000s card. Frame generation is some powerful magicks.

Apparently frame generation is coming in the next version of FSR and it will work on all cards, so that's something to look forward to.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kaddish posted:

Yeah, with Frame Generation turned on. Once you activate it you don't need to subscribe anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

drat I’ve got to set my actual desktop resolution to get a lower res in the game? Well gently caress me for having a good monitor with which I do other things, lmao