Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Please refer to it as “sportsball” in a scoffing manner

Hand egg :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Superb Owl :smugbird:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Grillfiend posted:

Superb Owl :smugbird:

That one's about scoffing at IP law rather than at sports though.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

People who refer to companies by their stock symbol outside of actual stock context. MSFT, NVDA, TSLA, AAPL. It doesn't make you look cool and savvy.

People who write HIPPA violation. I'm not even American and I know it's HIPAA.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

lobsterminator posted:

People who refer to companies by their stock symbol outside of actual stock context. MSFT, NVDA, TSLA, AAPL. It doesn't make you look cool and savvy.

People who write HIPPA violation. I'm not even American and I know it's HIPAA.

People who refer to cities by their airport codes. SFO LAX YYZ

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who are all "I" and "me" when it comes to something they took responsibility for but all "we" and "us" when they completely dropped the ball.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Take the credit and share the blame. That’s how I run my team.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Success has many fathers, failure is an orphan.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There's no "We'" in "Team"

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Brawnfire posted:

People who are all "I" and "me" when it comes to something they took responsibility for but all "we" and "us" when they completely dropped the ball.

My coworker who told me "We did the math wrong" after he rejected my method and did the work himself.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The type of people (not all of them are techbros) who think that ChatGPT is a magic solution to everything. Need help studying? ChatGPT! Want to get advice about something? ChatGPT! poo poo like that is a nice toy to play around with for a little while, but the trust some people have for these tech toys, I think, is extremely weird and unhealthy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The type of people (not all of them are techbros) who think that ChatGPT is a magic solution to everything. Need help studying? ChatGPT! Want to get advice about something? ChatGPT! poo poo like that is a nice toy to play around with for a little while, but the trust some people have for these tech toys, I think, is extremely weird and unhealthy.

Yeah, I'm sure clever people will find real uses for ChatGPT but first they're going to find 99 things that ChatGPT is hilariously inappropriate for.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The flip side is people who blame ChatGPT for all potential problems. I'm also so glad that all I had to deal with in school was lovely plagiarism software without tye added layer of AI detection that doesn't even work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, I'm sure clever people will find real uses for ChatGPT but first they're going to find 99 things that ChatGPT is hilariously inappropriate for.

I've found a use for it: You know how sometimes you know a word but you can't think of it? Ask ChatGPT.

quote:

Me: What's that word that means like enough of something but it could be more but doesn't need to be?
ChatGPT: The word you're looking for is "sufficient." Sufficient means that there is enough of something to meet a particular need or requirement, but it doesn't imply excess or more than what is necessary. It indicates an adequate or satisfactory amount without any surplus.
Works great because you know the answer is correct when you hear it, and can use a dictionary to double-check if you're not certain. More convenient and reliable than asking another person.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Welp, I had a nice time off but the horrible high-pitched tone is back. Guess it's time to send politely irritated emails until someone does their job and fixes it, again.

My daughter's piano teacher came in looking utterly haunted by it. Nice to have someone else who isn't like "oh yeah I guess there is a high-frequency sound constantly blasting, never noticed"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

why is all the furniture for sale right now so goddamn boring

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The hot weather is bringing out more and more spiders in my apartment and now they are starting to get in inconvenient places. There's one on my bathroom floor that I'm hoping will just gently caress off on it's own back under the bath overnight so that I can have a shower in the morning without causing it to panic, or getting on my towel. Generally if they are out of the way enough to not interfere with my routines I'm fine with them, but this one's a particularly large one with a thick body (UK large, so still rather small but relative to other spiders in the room. Also it's the only one not hanging out on a cobweb so it's the most likely to freak out if disturbed)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I guess :decorum: has dictated that the news should now refer to Twitter as "X" or "X, formerly known as Twitter".

gently caress that. Elon has no respect for trans individuals, so people should feel free to misname his stupid hellsite. It'll always be Twitter for me because gently caress Elmo.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Grocery store where i work just got self checkouts this week and multiple customers have yelled at me about it. I'm not a manager I'm just a cashier and they're yelling at me. "How DARE you? People will lose their jobs!" yelled one lady, at the loving cashier, aka the very person who would be in position to lose their job. "I don't want that self check poo poo, i want a loving cashier!" yelled one man, at the loving cashier who was already loving cashiering his poo poo so he literally had nothing to complain about. Don't fuckin complain to the loving cashier about any store policy or corporate decision, ever, because the cashier is loving helpless and trying to make out like it is the cashier's problem makes you a dipshit fucko. If you don't like a corporate decision then write a loving email and leave the loving cashiers the gently caress alone.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
My "favorite" anti-self-checkout argument is "I'm not getting paid to do YOUR job for you!"

Yeah buddy, are you doing to stand there at the checkout and scan everyone else's groceries for 10 hours too? No? Well then I guess you're not doing the cashier's job, are you. Get the gently caress out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Parasol Prophet posted:

My "favorite" anti-self-checkout argument is "I'm not getting paid to do YOUR job for you!"

Yeah buddy, are you doing to stand there at the checkout and scan everyone else's groceries for 10 hours too? No? Well then I guess you're not doing the cashier's job, are you. Get the gently caress out.

Getting the customers to do the work (for free) that an employee previously had to do (and be paid for) is entirely the point though? That's literally why they exist?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

Getting the customers to do the work (for free) that an employee previously had to do (and be paid for) is entirely the point though? That's literally why they exist?

Who's using the self service registers for free? Stealing from large corporations is surely the most basic praxis.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Who's using the self service registers for free? Stealing from large corporations is surely the most basic praxis.

You can do that at staffed checkouts too. Put an avocado in your pocket. No one will know.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
It's easier to get bigger poo poo at the self service. Also, handing off small expensive things to the toddler on the cart allows plausible deniability.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Once upon a time, shopping lists were a thing you handed to an employee/proprietor to fetch it all for you.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

InediblePenguin posted:

Grocery store where i work just got self checkouts this week and multiple customers have yelled at me about it. I'm not a manager I'm just a cashier and they're yelling at me. "How DARE you? People will lose their jobs!" yelled one lady, at the loving cashier, aka the very person who would be in position to lose their job. "I don't want that self check poo poo, i want a loving cashier!" yelled one man, at the loving cashier who was already loving cashiering his poo poo so he literally had nothing to complain about. Don't fuckin complain to the loving cashier about any store policy or corporate decision, ever, because the cashier is loving helpless and trying to make out like it is the cashier's problem makes you a dipshit fucko. If you don't like a corporate decision then write a loving email and leave the loving cashiers the gently caress alone.

They already know corporate won't give a poo poo, so they go for the lowest people on the ladder who can't do/say anything. It's how all these assholes operate & why they're so mad - if you replace the "stupid teenager" with a machine, how are they gonna yell & berate it to tears for simply existing? Same reason they all got mad when people 'didn't want to work' any more & their favorite shithole fast food places shut down so they didn't have anyone to take their aggression out on. COVID broke a lot of brains but was especially bad on the 50+ boomer crowd, I guess diaper & Ensure shortages can really gently caress a person up.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tiggum posted:

FYI loss prevention definitely knows. They do know. The odds you're getting over on them is very slim. They are keeping a tally and waiting to act until you've breached a threshold - usually about $1,000 in total goods stolen.

So make sure you're hitting up multiple locations and chains!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I pretty much always use the self-checkout if it's available. It's no more work for me. Instead of putting my groceries onto the conveyor belt I swipe them over the scanner and put them in my bag. And we don't have baggers here, so we always bag our own stuff anyway.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I pretty strongly prefer self-checkout, especially when I'm getting one or two things. Having to wait on line behind multiple people with full shopping carts to buy like two 4-packs of cat food sucks rear end.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

lobsterminator posted:

I pretty much always use the self-checkout if it's available. It's no more work for me. Instead of putting my groceries onto the conveyor belt I swipe them over the scanner and put them in my bag. And we don't have baggers here, so we always bag our own stuff anyway.

Yeah, same. I used to work as a cashier, with a specialization in self-checkout, so I am VERY quick. I lay out all my bags ahead of time, scan all my poo poo, bing bang boom, out in 5 minutes. I'm quicker than the cashiers.

Except when the machine takes exception to something I have done or something doesn't scan, then I get to feel foolish while the checkout assistant comes over.

But seriously I've watched people when the machines are busy and I actually have to wait to use the self-checkout and it's unbelievable how long people take. I was just there yesterday to buy bananas and baking soda, and there was this dude with one package of meat. That's all he had. He just stood there with the machine beeping at him. No idea what he did, but I got in on the next available machine, scanned my poo poo, and walked out while he was still standing there gormless.

I dunno what people do, but the self-checkout machines rarely give me any issues.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Tiggum posted:

Well yeah, sure, from the business's standpoint.

From the customer's perspective, spending 3 minutes waving your own stuff over a scanner and putting it in a bag does not constitute "doing a cashier's job" in such a way that you should get paid for it. Which is the part I was responding to.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

They already know corporate won't give a poo poo, so they go for the lowest people on the ladder who can't do/say anything. It's how all these assholes operate & why they're so mad - if you replace the "stupid teenager" with a machine, how are they gonna yell & berate it to tears for simply existing? Same reason they all got mad when people 'didn't want to work' any more & their favorite shithole fast food places shut down so they didn't have anyone to take their aggression out on. COVID broke a lot of brains but was especially bad on the 50+ boomer crowd, I guess diaper & Ensure shortages can really gently caress a person up.
The "how dare you, people will lose their jobs" lady was a very special moron because obviously she thought her own intention was noble to defend low wage workers jobs but she was literally raising her voice and yelling at the actual exact real life individual human being she thought she was defending, i.e., the cashier

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love self check outs. I love talking to people but sometimes I just want a drink or a single item and just wanna snag it and be on my way.

No small talk. No interaction. Bliss.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Someone once asked me for help finding something in a hardware store, I pointed out the shelf down at the end of aisle that had it, then they loudly berated me for working on a Sunday. At the store they were shopping at on a Sunday.

Also, I didn't work there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That happens to me so much and I don’t know why. I’ll wear a black shirt that has horror movies on it and mf old ladies will think I work at target

I truly don’t know what I’m doing to make people think I work there

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

i haven’t been mistaken for an employee somewhere in awhile but when it does happen i sometimes catch myself automatically slipping into my Customer Service Voice and it is deeply unsettling

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think I've ever been mistaken for an employee but I have been asked, as a pretty tall person, to get things off high shelves for strangers. I'm usually happy to do it though I've had to gently tell people that my bus was coming before.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's happened to me three times, and each time it's happened has been at a different college bookstore

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CelticPredator posted:

That happens to me so much and I don’t know why. I’ll wear a black shirt that has horror movies on it and mf old ladies will think I work at target

I truly don’t know what I’m doing to make people think I work there

It happened to me once while I was at Kohl's after work with some coworkers. This lady came up to me and started asking me where stuff was and poo poo. I said "I dunno, they can probably tell you at the front?" She asked me a couple more times, I gave the same response, and finally she busted out with "WELL, do you work here?" To which I responded, "No?" and walked away.

I realized afterward I was still wearing my namebadge from work, but still. Just cuz I have a namebadge on doesn't mean I work THERE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I and everyone I work with got an e-mail from my boss “hey. I’m ordering a thing. If you do have this thing please let me know.” I’m assuming he did this so he would get a couple e-mails max because most of us don’t have the thing.

Steady stream of e-mails of “Please order one for me, I need one.”

That is not what he asked! Please get some reading comprehension!