Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man Neon feels just like the Citadel from Mass Effect. Mind you, Mass Effect was released in 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

drat I’ve got to set my actual desktop resolution to get a lower res in the game? Well gently caress me for having a good monitor with which I do other things, lmao

You can thank dx12 for that

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SHISHKABOB posted:

Oh I hit the Scan button on a landmark icon I hadn't visited yet, and it changed to what it actually is lol. I mean, they changed to 'structure' but that 's better than nothing I guess.

Feel like we need a running log of important poo poo not really explained by the game:

-Press scan on an unknown planet POI while on the surface and it will tell you what it is
-You have to scan all of the plants/animals/minerals multiple times to fully scan a planet, it tells you the percentage on the side
-Planets with special attributes are found by walking around on the surface and going to POIs
-Fully scanning a planet will give you a survey data item as a book. Youll meet the places to sell survey data for extra during the main campaign, or you can just hock it anywhere for less
-Planets have multiple physical biomes, it tells you what the biome is when in orbit around the planet when you look at a landing sit. Different biomes might have different stuff
-Lots of the required advanced crafting materials come from scanning/killing plants and animals on planets
-There are also resource fields that need an outpost extractor. Press R in orbit to be shown the resource map in the landing area.
-When you place an outpost beacon, it will show you what things you can mine in that beacons area.
-Dont put a beacon near your landing site or POI, you wont be able to build in a box around it
-You can remove a beacon by going up to it with scan off and holding R
-You need to jumpstart helium production+generator pipeline with a solar generator
-You cant access some doors/chests/heal while in the scanner screen. Its dumb
-You press O to heal the ship in space, not 0. Its dumb
-Hold right mouse and then tap left mouse with the miner to insta mine nodes/do big damage
-You dont have to fast travel around New Atlantis
-There are fun random events in space, dont always jump straight to locations
-The faction side quests are fun and generally dont lock you out of other ones
-To level up a skill, you have to complete a challenge/achievement by using that skill a bit.
-There is a jet pack, and sneak meter, and other crucial things locked behind tier 1 skills
-The planet POIs can be huge and have big rewards
-You can grav jump out of space combat, but you have to charge your drive by shifting power to it
-Big ship need big engine
-Dont hoover trash, its trash and youll get comically more money from doing anything else
-You can disable your space suit and space helmet in the menu when in settlements
-Star systems display a level number on the upper left when highlighting them. There is NO level scaling, look at it!
-There are sometimes more than 1 place to visit on a single "star" in the map. Click the star, then the name.
-You can remove many starting traits, including wanted, during the game
-Wanted rocks as it gives you lots of easy stuff to kill early in the game
-You can manage your crew in your ship and your outposts. Different ships have more slots, and you can build slots in the outposts
-Missiles work against both shields and hull
-Theres no HDR. Turn auto HDR off in win 11 and all HDR off in win 10
-There are spacestations, you can dock to them
-Food does heal you, but no very well. There is healthbar visable on the right in the AID screen that will show you immediate and pending effects (in green)
-Contraband has a yellow icon on it. It will get scanned in certain systems and places. Stolen (red) goods will NOT. If caught with contraband, you will lose BOTH however.
-You can access your cargo hold while in the ship with a panel behind the captains chair. There is also a separate small captains locker.
-You can access your cargo hold while close to the ship from the Tab menu as well
-To collect from fluid gas+gas nodes, you have to scan them once and then turn your scanner off. its dumb.

Semi related:
-The DLSS2 mod will not increase performance over the FSR2 built in in all likelihood, but it will look better
-You need a 20 series Nvidia card or above for DLSS2
-FSR2 needs to be on in the menu with the DLSS2 mod, read the instructions
-The paid DLSS3/frame generation mod will only work on 40 series Nvidia cards and WILL increase performance

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 3, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
how do you grav jump to a quest objective without going into a menu again?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As an RTX 4070 haver, I’m definitely buying that paid mod once I get up from this nap.

Cyberpunk feels and looks great with frame-gen and using gsync/No vsync means no discernible input lag.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Floppychop posted:

Bethesda followers in small spaceship corridors is not a good mix. Especially the wide load that is Vasco.

I love him and his chatter but I can't take him anywhere. Literally. He gets hung up on all of the geometry.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

how do you grav jump to a quest objective without going into a menu again?

If you're tracking the quest, you should see the waypoint on your HUD, center it and you can hit/hold X to grav jump to it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quote:

-Hold right mouse and then tap left mouse with the miner to insta mine nodes/do big damage

my life is a lie

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Oh, overencumbered drops your o2 even just walking.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
not while walking. Its for jogging or sprinting.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Wiltsghost posted:

Oh, overencumbered drops your o2 even just walking.

It does not, Unless you mean running vs sprinting.

hit capslock(or slightly tilt the controller stick)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Man Neon feels just like the Citadel from Mass Effect. Mind you, Mass Effect was released in 2007.

I've never played Star Citizen but walking around this big empty city with empty storefronts with one worker at a kiosk and having to take a tram and long pointless bridges to get anywhere I really feel like I'm playing Star Citizen except I haven't fallen through any floors

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

anyone know a place to get both iron and aluminum from one outpost?

e: tau ceti viii-b has both, but they don't seem to spawn in the same biome.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 3, 2023

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Popelmon posted:

It's weird how every single vaguely office-ish environment:
- Needs to email Claire
- Is out of half and half
- Has an inspection comming up

Also they are all working on the same molecule, this seems to be a very competetive market!

I usually don't even notice reused assets like this but in Starfield it really stands out to me for some reason.

let it all end 😭

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
These dialogue options are wild. You always have the choice between just being normal, or being one specific flavor of insane seemingly tailored to the questline you're on. For the constellation you can act like some self-serious science nerd who takes offense at any slight against the good name of science - or you can be normal. For the Freestar Rangers you can act like a batshit murder-cop - or you can be normal.

Completely disconnected from one another.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Is the $5 mod to fix the frame rate issue in the game's mod store, or a nexus site or whatever?

Either way, it's a really bad look to have to pay a third party to fix the new game you just bought.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Khanstant posted:

On top of feeling like exploring Fallout 4 buildings again, it on the surface looks like games with much better level design, Im looking around for vents and alternate routes and things and when they do sorta try it, it's not worth the effort or extra distance and doesn't feel like you did something extra or clever. I keep feeling like, that's it's? Did I miss something? Was there a theme or gimmick here or point here? Do I just leave now?

The world isn't very reactive either, overall it's like they took what overall worked as a package and then added a bunch of menus and loading screens to separate the stuff, not expand on it, and remove the quirks and oddities and fantasy of the worldthat made them funky interesting sorts of places to be.

Very much in agreement with you

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Dobbs_Head posted:

I kinda wish the came up with a different system for space travel / combat though. I’m generally not into the flight sim thing. I’d like something that could capture the feeling of space combat from the Expanse. But I would not expect Bethesda to be the right group to develop it.

Extremely destructive weapons targeted by computers at far beyond visual range wouldn't make for a great gameplay experience. :v:

Any AAA game is just going to be Planes In Space forever because that's what people can grok. Putting Elite's stuff into a AAA game would tank it as people slammed into stations and failed repeatedly to land then screamed about it. Best you can pray for is the modding scene decides to go after it instead of putting tits on all the spaceships.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mailer posted:

Extremely destructive weapons targeted by computers at far beyond visual range wouldn't make for a great gameplay experience. :v:

Tell that to Terra Invicta :colbert:

Dobbs_Head posted:

I’d like something that could capture the feeling of space combat from the Expanse.

Play Terra Invicta :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 3, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ImpAtom posted:

For me the one that bothers me is the lost earring one. I'm not sure why but it is so specific that it bugs the hell out of me it is everywhere.

don't call it a recession

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Father Wendigo posted:

Is the $5 mod to fix the frame rate issue in the game's mod store, or a nexus site or whatever?

Either way, it's a really bad look to have to pay a third party to fix the new game you just bought.

no, it rules. I hope that guy gets to have one wild ride before he fucks off with the cash when Bethesda gets around to fixing the issue and/or issues a C&D to personally spite him.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cygni posted:

Feel like we need a running log of important poo poo not really explained by the game:

-Press scan on an unknown planet POI while on the surface and it will tell you what it is
-You have to scan all of the plants/animals/minerals multiple times to fully scan a planet, it tells you the percentage on the side
-Planets with special attributes are found by walking around on the surface and going to POIs
-Fully scanning a planet will give you a survey data item as a book. Youll meet the places to sell survey data for extra during the main campaign, or you can just hock it anywhere for less
-Planets have multiple physical biomes, it tells you what the biome is when in orbit around the planet when you look at a landing sit. Different biomes might have different stuff
-Lots of the required advanced crafting materials come from scanning/killing plants and animals on planets
-There are also resource fields that need an outpost extractor. Press R in orbit to be shown the resource map in the landing area.
-When you place an outpost beacon, it will show you what things you can mine in that beacons area.
-Dont put a beacon near your landing site or POI, you wont be able to build in a box around it
-You can remove a beacon by going up to it with scan off and holding R
-You need to jumpstart helium production+generator pipeline with a solar generator
-You cant access some doors/chests/heal while in the scanner screen. Its dumb
-You dont have to fast travel around New Atlantis
-There are fun random events in space, dont always jump straight to locations
-The faction side quests are fun and generally dont lock you out of other ones
-To level up a skill, you have to complete a challenge/achievement by using that skill a bit.
-There is a jet pack, and sneak meter, and other crucial things locked behind tier 1 skills
-The planet POIs can be huge and have big rewards
-You can grav jump out of space combat, but you have to charge your drive by shifting power to it
-Big ship need big engine
-Dont hoover trash, its trash and youll get comically more money from doing anything else
-You can disable your space suit and space helmet in the menu when in settlements
-Star systems display a level number on the upper left when highlighting them. There is NO level scaling, look at it!
-There are sometimes more than 1 place to visit on a single "star" in the map. Click the star, then the name.
-You can remove many starting traits, including wanted, during the game
-Wanted rocks as it gives you lots of easy stuff to kill early in the game
-You can manage your crew in your ship and your outposts. Different ships have more slots, and you can build slots in the outposts
-Missiles work against both shields and hull
-Theres no HDR. Turn auto HDR off in win 11 and all HDR off in win 10
-There are spacestations, you can dock to them
-Food does heal you, but no very well. There is healthbar visable on the right in the AID screen that will show you immediate and pending effects (in green)
-Contraband has a yellow icon on it. It will get scanned in certain systems and places. Stolen (red) goods will NOT. If caught with contraband, you will lose BOTH however.
-You can access your cargo hold while in the ship with a panel behind the captains chair. There is also a separate small captains locker.
-You can access your cargo hold while close to the ship from the Tab menu as well
-To collect from fluid gas+gas nodes, you have to scan them once and then turn your scanner off. its dumb.

Semi related:
-The DLSS2 mod will not increase performance over the FSR2 built in in all likelihood, but it will look better
-You need a 20 series Nvidia card or above for DLSS2
-FSR2 needs to be on in the menu with the DLSS2 mod, read the instructions
-The paid DLSS3/frame generation mod will only work on 40 series Nvidia cards and WILL increase performance

This should go in the OP.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Found a "Bounty Hunter Spacesuit". Looks cool, great resistance stats, but holy gently caress it's 21 kilos.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Anyone figured out what "use up all available oxygen" for the oxygen perk challenge means because it does not mean consume your entire stamina bar. Do I have to inhale the universe

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Phoix posted:

Anyone figured out what "use up all available oxygen" for the oxygen perk challenge means because it does not mean consume your entire stamina bar. Do I have to inhale the universe

It seemed to just randomly go up as i was running around doing other stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Phoix posted:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Wow, Hopetown scifines is amazing.

Alien powers:

I have unlocked 4 powers. Two absolutelly useless fush-ro-dah variations. And two usefull 99% of the time.
I wonder whats more they have...

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Phoix posted:

You need to keep going until the red bar fills up, then let it recover completely.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The paid DLSS mod with frame generation works great. Like +40 fps in cities. On a 4080.

wizard2 posted:

no, it rules. I hope that guy gets to have one wild ride before he fucks off with the cash when Bethesda gets around to fixing the issue and/or issues a C&D to personally spite him.

They actually have mods for quite a few games besides Starfield.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mailer posted:

Best you can pray for is the modding scene decides to go after it instead of putting tits on all the spaceships.

It seems like the sort of thing that would be heavily hardcoded.

That said as a fan of the X series the planes in space thing doesn't bother me too much, so far the space combat feels decent.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
I think space combat feels pretty great using a mouse and keyboard which is always a challenge.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Cygni posted:

This is the biggest key binding troll I have ever encountered in video games. It has to be intentional, right? They're just loving with us

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you can rebind the medkit to some other numeric key.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Kaddish posted:

The paid DLSS mod with frame generation works great. Like +40 fps in cities. On a 4080.

They actually have mods for quite a few games besides Starfield.

i figured! to be clear: I legitimately support them and I hope they are getting a nice payday :)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Basic Chunnel posted:

drat I’ve got to set my actual desktop resolution to get a lower res in the game? Well gently caress me for having a good monitor with which I do other things, lmao

Wait, so if you have eg a 4k monitor but have it set to 200% scaling on the desktop the game won't under-render correctly?

I know some older games struggle with that desktop multiplier in Windows...

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Is the Starmap completely useless, or am I am an idiot. Both may be true.

No Search I can find, no Bookmark? How the gently caress do you find a specific planet other than clickzoom everything?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

This is the biggest key binding troll I have ever encountered in video games. It has to be intentional, right? They're just loving with us

That got me so bad lol

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Man, I am loving this so far. Great photo mode too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Even non-framegen DLSS is worth it to get rid of a quite a few ghosting and shimmering artifacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Literal first non-white gun I've found. 10/10, would kill a pirate captain's goons again