Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My interpretation of the psi-idoctrinator was that it was built to break conditioning. Kerrigan makes a big deal about stealing the Dominion's files to break her own psychic power limiter and loyalty programming in Starcraft 1, and I figured that Tosh's indoctrinator was built to do the same thing for the spectres, erasing the Dominion's conditioning and limiters and giving them fully free will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The thing is, I have zero faith in Blizzard's ability to comprehend that "indoctrinate" can have multiple meanings that aren't just related to brainwashing.

Y'all are giving them too much credit in these interpretations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Plot twist: in the next Starcraft game, all Tosh's spectres will be trying to hasten the return of the Reapers because they spent time with the Psi-Indoctrinator. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

Plot twist: in the next Starcraft game, all Tosh's spectres will be trying to hasten the return of the Reapers because they spent time with the Psi-Indoctrinator. :v:
We already have the Reapers since the first mission we did for Tosh. :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Intermission 13

Cinematic: Nova

Like with Breakout, this side also ends with a cinematic.

Didn't take long for him to gloat, patch him through.

And how does the Space Jamaican plan to get revenge on Raynor?

A loving voodoo doll.

Of course it is.

*thunk*

Raynor is unamused.

Because Tosh managed to attune it to Tychus instead.

This means that, in the universe of Starcraft, actual straight-up voodoo exists.

The ending of Breakout had some actually touching writing, albeit writing that'll never get built upon because it was in an optional scene.

Siding with Nova gets you haha funny slapstick.

And in case you were wondering if the voodoo was just some Spectre psychic bullshit, I'm pretty sure you'd have to be a Kerrigan-level psionic to work from light years away. So yes, it is actually voodoo.

*thunk*

I think she can cover her tracks. That's what Ghosts do, right?

That, and cut people's throats.

Right.

Good news: Nova actually came through with the Ghost plans!

Bad news: All those political criminals Mengsk locked up get to rot!

As you might expect, Tosh being betrayed and killed means he's out of the Hyperion for the rest of the game.

>Examine Spectre Killer.

You actually get a New Folsom sign in this spot after Breakout, but that doesn't get marked.

>Watch news.

Um, no, Donny, they didn't, but I imagine they're quite happy?

Wait, what? Dominion Security didn't say anything about Rayno-

Surprisingly on the mark, this time.

>Talk to Tychus.

That wasn't no answer. All these missed opportunities... There's something very wrong with you, man.

Ghosts are too cool to hang around with the others, so all we see in the Armory are their rifles.

>Examine Ghost Rifle.

>Talk to Swann.

She ain't 'my girl', Swann.

Hmm... scary female assassin type that's gonna wind up tryin' to kill you someday? I dunno, hotshot - she sure seems like your type.

*grumbles*

>Use Armory Console.

Unlike the Spectre who got a new ability from the Armory, Ghosts instead get a big range bonus. They both get perma-cloak.

Naturally, you don't get Hanson's 'Nova lied to us!' talk on this side.

And Matt also has nothing to say.

So let's ditch the Non-Canon Zone and go back to what we were doing.

Much better.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 6, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

NUKE THE TRAINS

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Doing nuke trains as late as possible is most funny

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Having recently replayed this quest line, I'm actually really looking forward to Trains. Let's hit it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Nah, doing Haven as late as possible is most funny. It also keeps the doc around to talk about other missions.

Still aboard the train train. Wanna see those diamondbacks and how much less revolutionary firing while moving is than they thought it'd be.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
Nuke the Trains

Now we have THE THUNDER we can use it in the two missions it's most fun to use in.

I'm mostly looking forward to the nitty gritty takes on the Diamondbacks, actually. It is a very weird example of a unit gimmick that seems perfectly fine and usable, but somehow those situations where it might be usable never actually happen.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Nova's "not today" response to the question of whether she's about to betray and murder Raynor is very reassuring. Oh good, she's not going to immediately hunt us, excellent. I mean, given that Mengsk is undoubtedly giving Nova the "deal with this rear end in a top hat" order soon, but sure, that's technically not today.

I do like the crew's reactions here though. Horner, Tychus, and Swann all making the Kerrigan connection (each in their own way) seems pretty on-point.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
NUKES ON A TRAIN

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nuke the trains.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

in the spirit of the false timeline where raynor was distracted by the pretty lady, we must endeavor to keep hanson around for as long as possible

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Matt's been very patient with us, so let's go rob some trains.

By the way, for those curious what Hanson does say after Nova's mission? She doesn't get a big cinematic conversation... all she simply says is that she doesn't like Nova, and wonders how many people she's killed.

Hanson, it turns out, has good instincts about Nova. If we side with Tosh, Hanson attempts to verify Nova's claims, and uncovers her lie. If we side with her, she has no real reason to verify said claims since we're killing Tosh anyway... but she still doesn't trust the Dominion Assassin.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, it is worth noting that everyone's dialogue DOES usually change after missions, at least late on -- just sometimes they don't get cinematics because they're not conversations, just statements.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Let's go save the lone survivor in Haven.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Redeye Flight posted:

Yeah, it is worth noting that everyone's dialogue DOES usually change after missions, at least late on -- just sometimes they don't get cinematics because they're not conversations, just statements.

Except for Stetman

Also:
Huh. I could have sworn ghosts got dt style always cloaked while specters needed to hit the button. But no, it looks like literally the same upgrade.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

It's worth noting that that Ghost range upgrade is actually a BIG deal. When you combine it with putting them in a Bunker with the Mag-Rail, it gives them 10 Range, which is the same as a Siege Tank in Siege mode, but, y'know, with the fire rate of a Ghost and inside a Bunker.

It's a pretty strong recommended pick if you're doing Hard or Brutal (though I wouldn't know myself, as I am a wimp-rear end who doesn't play on Brutal), and it's just a shame that the only way to get it is to make your overall run worse by betraying Tosh.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Do Ghosts take 1 slot or 2 in a bunker?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Redeye Flight posted:

It's worth noting that that Ghost range upgrade is actually a BIG deal. When you combine it with putting them in a Bunker with the Mag-Rail, it gives them 10 Range, which is the same as a Siege Tank in Siege mode, but, y'know, with the fire rate of a Ghost and inside a Bunker.

Sieged Tanks have 13 range. It's still an important breakpoint for reasons I'll cover in the spotlight.

Kith posted:

Do Ghosts take 1 slot or 2 in a bunker?

2 slots.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yeah, I don't think I'm too terribly impressed by that. I mean, I'm sure it's useful in certain situations, but I'm not screwing over my buddy Tosh to shove two Ghosts in a bunker just because they can shoot real far for less DPS than a Marine.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Hmm... scary female assassin type that's gonna wind up tryin' to kill you someday? I dunno, hotshot - she sure seems like your type.

... Rude, but also not wrong.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Kith posted:

Yeah, I don't think I'm too terribly impressed by that. I mean, I'm sure it's useful in certain situations, but I'm not screwing over my buddy Tosh to shove two Ghosts in a bunker just because they can shoot real far for less DPS than a Marine.

It has one very specific use case that makes it incredibly good, but again... gotta betray Tosh.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
One thing to note is that there's actually a small "secret" with the Ghost gear in the Armory, if you look at it long enough a thing happens.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Kith posted:

NUKE THE TRAINS

:haibrower:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TRASH A BANK TRAIN IF YOU’VE GOT REAL BALLS

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007

Tychus posted:

That wasn't no answer. All these missed opportunities... There's something very wrong with you, man.

Tychus is right. Jimmy isn't hitting on Hanson either. Is Raynor :gay: ?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Koorisch posted:

One thing to note is that there's actually a small "secret" with the Ghost gear in the Armory, if you look at it long enough a thing happens.

Nova was full of poo poo on more than a few counts...

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Gleisdreieck posted:

Tychus is right. Jimmy isn't hitting on Hanson either. Is Raynor :gay: ?
No, Raynor's heart is just so focused on saving his true love Kerrigan from the Swarm that he doesn't even notice other women.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
i mean,
Jim not pursuing someone doesn't really say anything other than 'not interested' (in universe) or 'not the story we want' (out of it)

but also,

This is one of the structural problems I have with WOL: because mission chains can be done in any order you have to pass point of no return plot gates for any big plot progression. And WOL hasn't really had one of those yet. For the story WOL is trying to tell, it's a bad fit to do it this way in my opinion.

Tosh vs Nova introduces another part of the issue: when you can't rely on a character being there it's hard (not impossible, but hard) to use them to carry weight in the narrative so we end up with ... well, Raynor's done how many missions and what exactly has he accomplished, you know? Unlocking units is cool and all, but in terms of plot progression, uh. We can't rely on characters and we can't rely on world state progression. It's just this giant period of treading water.

tl;dr yes I was frustrated around this point in my WOL run :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 3, 2023

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
HotS improves this quite a bit. Shame about the gameplay being poo poo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The thing that gets me is that they actually had the setup for some legitimately unnerving psychological horror elements with this version of the chain, but did nothing with it.

I’m bringing this up because I vaguely remember that there was a short manga series (and a tie-in book?) :blizz: released that served as Nova’s backstory after SC Ghost fell through, which featured her and a small class of fellow Ghosts, including a young Tosh. IIRC, they wound up having a brief romantic fling, HQ noticed, and decided to mind-wipe them both to keep them on-task… which was how Tosh found out that he had a resistance to it, and led to him defecting and starting up his Spectres, while Nova’s memory was successfully wiped.

The really dark thought that just crossed my mind: assuming Nova snuck onto Tosh’s ship without the luxury of already having her own ready to pick her up immediately after… how long would she have spent waiting for her ride with only his corpse for company? How many hours or days could she have been on there with a nagging, inexplicable feeling of intimate familiarity with the man she just coldly killed, in the deepest subconscious parts of her mind that the memory wipe couldn’t scrub?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have exactly one opinion on trains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr5a7icvhXw&t=64s

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm going with the majority and saying nuke those trains.

And I appreciate Swann's dig on Jim.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Here's a vote for TRAINS, the unit might not be very good but I love it's concept.

Wait, isn't the Raven supposed to be a robot? What exactly was Nova mind controlling in there?... Eww, does the Raven have bottled brains?!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

stryth posted:

Here's a vote for TRAINS, the unit might not be very good but I love it's concept.

Wait, isn't the Raven supposed to be a robot? What exactly was Nova mind controlling in there?... Eww, does the Raven have bottled brains?!

That's so Raven.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The unit portrait for the Raven is a drone pilot back at base so she just brainjacked that guy through the internet.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Which raises even more questions - none of which should be answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smdvogrin
Mar 8, 2019

Chillgamesh posted:

The unit portrait for the Raven is a drone pilot back at base so she just brainjacked that guy through the internet.

I mean, having the ability to mind control someone through a video-link WOULD explain a lot about how she got Raynor to agree to betray Tosh, wouldn't it?