Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Randalor posted:

"I bid you dark greetings" is a pretty badass way to greet someone, you have to admit. I could see someone used to being the bearer of bad news using that as their way of saying hello.

I can only read it as Laszlo/Matt Berry in What We Do in the Shadows.

"I bid you, DARK GREETINGS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Hey, I'm fuckin' bicycle kickin' over heeah!

I just had to hop into say how much I appreciated this.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Sally posted:

also was that the book with the jedi called Jorus (Joruus?) C'Boath? how do you even pronounce that? kuh-bow-ath?

It's supposed to be a play on Sabaoth.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MajorBonnet posted:

I can only read it as Laszlo/Matt Berry in What We Do in the Shadows.

"I bid you, DARK GREETINGS!"

Exactly. Though TBH there are a lot of phrases in life that are that now. He's kinda infectious.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
They had a Mofference in the latest season of Mando, right? Did nobody offer DARK GREETINGS there?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's supposed to be a play on Sabaoth.

i wasnt expecting a soft c...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Sally posted:

i wasnt expecting a soft c...

I've heard that before :(

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

credburn posted:

I've heard that before :(

"sredburn"!?

:goofy:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How did the boy and girl not massively overdose on coke in Cocaine Bear? They eat a goddamn mouthful of blow, because they're dumb kids and don't know how people normally consume Cocaine. Sure they spit it out because it probsbly tastes awful but...that's probably still a LOT of Cocaine they would have absorbed. It's like doing the goddamn cinnamon challenge with Cocaine! I was expecting them to get seizures and die before the bear even got to them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phy posted:

They had a Mofference in the latest season of Mando, right? Did nobody offer DARK GREETINGS there?

It's only a Mofference if it takes place in the Mofference room on the Moffship. Otherwise it's just a sparkling meeting.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Phy posted:

The meeting had already started by the time Gideon was fashionably late, hadn't it? The moff in the quilted jacket seems like the kind that would go all-in on the "warlord" cosplay and declare "I bid you all DARK GREETINGS" after being 5 minutes late.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Panfilo posted:

How did the boy and girl not massively overdose on coke in Cocaine Bear? They eat a goddamn mouthful of blow, because they're dumb kids and don't know how people normally consume Cocaine. Sure they spit it out because it probsbly tastes awful but...that's probably still a LOT of Cocaine they would have absorbed. It's like doing the goddamn cinnamon challenge with Cocaine! I was expecting them to get seizures and die before the bear even got to them.

havent seen the movie, did they ingest it all?

a random website i found says the ld50 for cocaine is 0.96mg per kg bodyweight, so a 10 year old (say 30 kg) should be able to do .3 grams of pure cocaine with only a 50/50 chance of dying

e: this was funnier before i realized i hosed up the comma and thought that children could do 3 fat lines easy. alas, i have fixed my error

still, the woods coke might be stepped on, so they could probably handle a couple grams of whatever it was

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Sep 1, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

on a lighter note, edge of tomorrow when part of the final plan involves emily blunt (who is an excellent fighter who is aware of the importance of what tom cruise tells her about what to pay attention to), right after he says "make sure to disconnect the caravan", she does not disconnect the caravan, so we can have a "kids in the backseat, mom and dad arguing" moment

aside from the ending thats the worst part of that movie

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Sep 1, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Carthag Tuek posted:

on a lighter note, edge of tomorrow when part of the final plan involves emily blunt (who is an excellent fighter who is aware of the importance of what tom cruise tells her about what to pay attention to), right after he says "make sure to disconnect the caravan", she does not disconnect the caravan, so we can have a "kids in the backseat, mom and dad arguing" moment

aside from the ending thats the worst part of that movie

The fun thing is that he knows that. He has gone through it umpteenth times, and he knows that she won't unhook the drat thing no matter what he does. It's one of the universal constants of that universe that she doesn't unhook the trailer, just like the naked tank guy getting splatted on the beach. All he can do is be ready when the monsters in the back burst out.

Don't ask me why he doesn't just waste the trailer with rockets as he gets in the car. He has probably tried that. It's one of the more horrific aspects of the premise; everything we see him do, he has probably done a hundred times already.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Grendels Dad posted:

The fun thing is that he knows that. He has gone through it umpteenth times, and he knows that she won't unhook the drat thing no matter what he does. It's one of the universal constants of that universe that she doesn't unhook the trailer, just like the naked tank guy getting splatted on the beach. All he can do is be ready when the monsters in the back burst out.

Don't ask me why he doesn't just waste the trailer with rockets as he gets in the car. He has probably tried that. It's one of the more horrific aspects of the premise; everything we see him do, he has probably done a hundred times already.

you know what thats a good point, he does that smug tom cruise "heh i got this" in several situations that are life and death-emotional for her. hell yea she likes coffeee :😎: .i know hes been through a lot but that smirk implies enjoyment and thats weird

i think hes into her dying and feeling bad about it, big time time traveling munchausen by proxy groundhog day stalker vibe

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Specifically about Indiana Jones but applies to a bunch of other stuff as well.

You're chasing the McGuffin. You know the bad guys are also chasing the McGuffin. And yet, at no point in your pursuit of the McGuffin do you prepare for the possibility that you will encounter the bad guys. Like, you don't even tell the people who are helping you find it that "Oh yeah, there are bad guys after it as well, so maybe you want to get some guns and shoot at whoever shows up while we're looking for it."

Multiple times in the same film.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah but how else are you gonna smugly save them, if they could save themselves?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Carthag Tuek posted:

you know what thats a good point, he does that smug tom cruise "heh i got this" in several situations that are life and death-emotional for her. hell yea she likes coffeee :😎: .i know hes been through a lot but that smirk implies enjoyment and thats weird

i think hes into her dying and feeling bad about it, big time time traveling munchausen by proxy groundhog day stalker vibe

That scene in the cabin where he tries to persuade her to stay for the night absolutely reads as creepy stalker horror poo poo. We see him from her perspective and he is being weirdly and inappropriately accommodating, always prepared for anything she might want and she knows what that means. The tragic thing is that it means he doesn't want her to die, which she inevitably does whenever she comes along.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Carthag Tuek posted:

ah but how else are you gonna smugly save them, if they could save themselves?

Liberalism in a nut shell

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Carthag Tuek posted:

This is a psycho post, it’s just a Hollywood ending they tacked on.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Enderzero posted:

This is a psycho post, it’s just a Hollywood ending they tacked on.

i dont even mention the ending in that post

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
In the show Foundation, there's a massive ring built around the planet Trantor, where people live and whatnot. In a shot thats tight enough that you can see individual homes,you can see the curvature of the ring, which is absurd because a ring big enough to go all the way around an earth-ish-sized planet would be straight as a god drat arrow from any perspective that wasn't backed way the gently caress up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just saw it happening in a clip of My Adventures with Superman as a recent example, I know they didn't invent it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v19Z31pI3M

But I'm kinda done with 'blue light' holograms, gimme full color ones again

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Morpheus posted:

Well that's not the same as a void. Imagine being underwater and seeing a bubble. It doesn't contain any water, it's air, but it's quite visible to you and you can feel it when it brushes against you. That's stuff like droids.

Now imagine that instead of the bubble of air, there was simply nothing there. A void of water that didn't contain anything else in it, and that you couldn't even tell was there, you could just put your hand in it and you wouldn't feel water, but you wouldn't feel air on your skin. Like a vacuum, but without the collapse of everything into it.

That's how I always interpreted it (mind you I haven't actually read any of the books, just read about them).

It's much stupider than that from what i remember of them

It's just a dumb plot point altogether IMHO. A jedi that can't throw someone really hard with the force could still throw a rock really really hard at them I bet.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's much stupider than that from what i remember of them

It's just a dumb plot point altogether IMHO. A jedi that can't throw someone really hard with the force could still throw a rock really really hard at them I bet.

But how do you predict their movements to throw it at the right place?! It's impossible!
:goonsay:

without the force it's impossible to hit people, this is why I fail at dodgeball. Those kids who hit me every time was just blind luck

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

But how do you predict their movements to throw it at the right place?! It's impossible!

That's what thermal detonators are for. You don't have to throw it at 'the right place' if you blow up everything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

RareAcumen posted:

I just saw it happening in a clip of My Adventures with Superman as a recent example, I know they didn't invent it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v19Z31pI3M

But I'm kinda done with 'blue light' holograms, gimme full color ones again

Pretty sure it was Star Wars which did that with the 'help me obi wobi kenobi' hologram. But that was still colour with a blue tint.

At least I can't think of anything earlies than that.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Shippuden Episode 81: Don't dismiss Deidara's motivation as a mere whim. He is a dedicated practitioner of the arts and joining the supervillain team gives him a place where his talents are appreciated (except for Itachi, the too cool for u bloke).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

maybealabia posted:

Eh, some droids are also free agents. IG-88, for instance.

A free droid is only free until someone slaps a restraining bolt on it and erases it's memory, right?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Panfilo posted:

It may have been terrible cocaine. The bear eats and snorts several kilos. It's a big bear, but still. That bear should have been dead (like the real one).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

A free droid is only free until someone slaps a restraining bolt on it and erases it's memory, right?

How are they different from humans when jedi exist?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Watched the first episode of One Piece and it was enjoyable enough in a goofy way, but three things stood out.

There were a number of moments obviously lifted directly from the comic and cartoon and they were just poorly done. All the action would grind to a halt and the actor would literally look directly into the camera as they struck the pose.

All they needed was a big! "Hey kids, remember this moment?" in letters of fire across the screen.

The second was one character whose gimmick was having three swords and he'd fight with one in each hand and the third one in his mouth.

Now this probably looks great on the page or when animated. But in live action, not so much. The hilt of the sword was way too big for the guy's mouth and you could practically see the drool coming out the sides of his mouth.

At one point, while fighting a bad guy, he managed to get his mouth sword up against the guy's throat in another of those 'iconic moments' and it was tragic how dumb it looked. It was about as threatening as a limp dishrag.

The third one relates to drooly boy, too. The main character fights by punching people. The second main character fights by hitting people with a stick. Sword boy stabs them.

Shows like the Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers always dealt with the disparity between characters who punched, kicked or thumped their opponents and sword characters by pretending it's a glorified stick.

One Piece, not so much. You have two characters doing PG level violence, leaving the bad guys alive on the ground.

Then there's the other one, literally cutting people in half.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's pretty much just absolutely inevitable stuff when adapting One Piece. If you don't have Zoro and his three swords you're basically making Dragon Ball Evolution.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I only know One Piece because the protagonist constantly looks like a methed out monkey about to go full gonzo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

credburn posted:

I only know One Piece because the protagonist constantly looks like a methed out monkey about to go full gonzo

That's because he is

He is literally named Monkey

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Watched the first episode of One Piece and it was enjoyable enough in a goofy way, but three things stood out.
zoro's rationale of "I can't beat my childhood friend with even two swords, so clearly I need to wield THREE swords, that's the answer" is a perfect encapsulation of the wonderful goofiness of one piece. and because it's so cartoony, it works. it might not work as good in live action, but they still pulled it off well enough imo.

and yeah he's the only guy on the crew who uses swords, at least for a long time. everyone on the crew has different weapons; luffy punches, zoro cuts, sanji kicks, usopp slingshots, nami has her baton(and later weather powers), chopper is a transformer powered by homemade drugs, robin spawns half a dozen arms on your back and snaps your neck, franky shoots his fists off like a robot made of meat, etc. it's all very normal

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

His name is Zolo he's like a samurai

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Len posted:

His name is Zolo he's like a samurai

Wow, you racist

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I look forward to more sight unseen takes on the One Piece show from people unfamiliar with the manga or anime and realising how much of the goofy and insane poo poo is inherent to the show and utterly non-negotiable to any remotely worthwhile adaptation, changing or omitting it would be like Superman not being allowed to be an alien from Krypton or Hellboy not being a demon from Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Watched the first three episode now and they've stopped with the "hey remember this" posing and it is a LOT better and a hell of a lot of fun.

Let's call if first episode jitters. Loving all the goofy poo poo.