Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is that a 1/100 Acguy? chonky

One of the best gunpla kits ever released, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1697459288531427353?t=KjFzxjVXBfWjafKLumbM8w&s=19

drat. If it's not releasing until November I'm probably not gonna be able to bag one before before new year.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I hadn't tried using Bandai waterslide decals til the last model I did and they were awful, not quite to the level of the Eva/Mechagodzilla I did but very difficult to try and get stuck even with setter/softer. If I didn't have a set of third party decals for it I might have just gone with the stickers over them. Not looking forward to putting decals on the RX-78-2 Cucuruz Doan version I'm finishing today.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The head turned up! It got swept up with some spare parts and wound up in my parts bag.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Pierson posted:

Edit: Also yeah Bandai decals are just not good. Super-thick so they don't contour well and lovely sticking power when they're on.

this explains a lot with my experience re the in-box decals for the psycho zaku. I'm definitely getting one of those holders

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

there were several that flapped off sometimes days later (one after I top coated even) and I had to carefully reapply. I thought I was just doing bad job of it but the delpis I got for the sazabi went on great so maybe the official ones are just shittier

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
I've never had a particular problem with official Bandai ones - either in-kit or bought separately. Beyond me messing up and tearing bigger ones, but I manage that with every brand...

It's worth checking the instructions as Bandai decals seem to use a different type of wet-release adhesive from everyone else. If you follow the instructions and dunk them for 3-5 seconds then wait for 10-15 seconds for them to activate they work just fine. Dunk them for too long, like the 30 seconds requested by other manufacturers, and they tear, bubble, and disintegrate really easily along with washing away most of the adhesive.

That MechaGaikotsu chap used to HATE waterslides for years because he was used to the (I'm guessing Games Workshop) ones and was ruining the Bandai ones by accident.

I admit I have always used Mr Mark Setter Neo underneath followed by Softer Neo over the top with mine and never really touched the things afterwards.

(Neo being the less-effective, less-toxic versions for the EU market)

As an exercise, I've just been trying to do the small color-correction details on the MG Zeta 2.0 using a tiny wet palette because stickers suck and I kind of want to build up to painting kits by hand instead of airbrushing. Hand painting *does* still require a tiny dab of primer first, but once that's down it's amazingly effective for small details.

I originally tried to do the corrections with soft-tipped acrylic markers, but the tips just don't give even coverage and after some mild usage there are always dry spots in the bristles no matter what I do. Plus even the dspiae/hobby mio markers cost about as much as actual pots of acrylic paint.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I had to get something to justify the shipping on a restock buy so I got the synduality daisy ogre. seemed like something different. grabbed the new delpi decals for the high mobility zaku when it arrives in November.

should be getting the backpack on the psycho zaku topcoated tomorrow then it's on to the boosters. home stretch, this has been a demanding one and I'm looking forward to working on something simpler after

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:hmmyes: thanks! Good stuff

Will look into that moist box thingie I hadn't considered that. I might make a temporary bootleg sponge box or something haha. I do already have helper hands lying around. Maybe thats good enough.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Backlogust final is a matter of interpretation

No, really, like this might actually come down to a matter of interpretation. Backlogust finished about an hour and a half ago as I’m posting this, so nippers down, everyone.

Wdarkk and Tergaso, definitely review everything.

Thank you to everyone who participated, to our prize boosters Spectral Elvis and Nerobro, and of course to CjayC.

This is a really close one this year, so we’re basically going to a recount here. I’m going to kill whichever one of you built Pat Buchanan. Final stat post to come once we sort some things out.

El Burbo posted:

oops i didnt manage much this month

well 2 kits in a month is still more than i usually do, so mission accomplished

1 point.

Moai Ou posted:

Done! A simple little kit, but I love that there's a barely-visible sprue on the mold inside the machine:

And with that, I'm done. Made a decent dent in my backlog with 10 kits done. But the Sisyphean task continues since two P-Bandai kits arrived this month, I picked up the RG Hi-Nu and ordered the Moderoid Big O.

1 point.

chrome line posted:

You have the EG Nu Gundam on there but not the half point for it

Good save, fixed.

mllaneza posted:

Spreadsheet question. You called out 2 points for my Pharact, but the sheet has HGs at one point. It's got more parts than the average HG, but it's an HG. Should there be a point in the Misc. column?

Also, I would support a half point for the Haro. because Haro.

According to my notes, and definitely double-check my math, you get one for the Pharact, one for the Hindtree, and one for the Lfrith. Three total.

Are you perhaps thinking of the post above yours where Asteroid Alert racked up two points for an FM Aerial?

wdarkk posted:

Complete. Beautiful kit, might have to nail polish or something to make the crotch clear piece stay in better but otherwise it's perfect. You'll note from the sticker sheet that I took "never use a sticker when you can use a marker" seriously. Also note that I went and did color accurate paint for the broom thrusters.

I would be done now but I think I'm tied for first place, so let's try and get in a cheeky little tiebreaker.

Gundam Base Haro.
EDIT: Gundam Side F Haro, mislabeled it.

1 point, possible .5 points for the Haro.

Tergaso posted:

I think you gave me credit for an extra HG kit. I only completed 7, the Zeta was a partial build. Unless you're already counting the Turn A.

I've got you as having 8 HGs prior to this post: a Mk II, a Zowort, .5 for the Zeta and .5 for the weapons kit, a Zudah, a Gyan, a GM, a Barzam, and the Heavy at the moment. Eight, right?

And after that, 1 point for the Turn A. God, I covet the MG Turn A. I just have to click my heels three times and wish hard enough, right?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

grassy gnoll posted:

And after that, 1 point for the Turn A. God, I covet the MG Turn A. I just have to click my heels three times and wish hard enough, right?

I just recently finished the P-Bandai one I got some months ago. The one that came with the Moonlight Butterfly Wings and also with glittery plastic throughout the kit. I won't be home to take pictures of it for like two weeks, though.

It's a really lovely kit. The back of the legs just constantly amaze and intrigue me. The neck is sadly really floppy. :(

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

grassy gnoll posted:

Backlogust final is a matter of interpretation

I've got you as having 8 HGs prior to this post: a Mk II, a Zowort, .5 for the Zeta and .5 for the weapons kit, a Zudah, a Gyan, a GM, a Barzam, and the Heavy at the moment. Eight, right?

I think the issue is that you counted the zeta/weapon kit as both an HG and a misc 1 point. That's what my count shows at least.
And yes, I now really want to build a MG Turn A.

Edit: I want to thank you for running this, it was really fun to build within a structured contest. I appreciate you taking all this time to do the work this year.

Tergaso fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 2, 2023

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

chrome line posted:

As far as I can tell your only option is the HGUC from 2000. There's also the prototype from the Origin line but that's very different from the White Base one and probably not what you're looking for

It's a drat shame they didn't do a Revive of it at the same time as the other White Base suits. The 2000 HG definitely shows its age during the build, and it was the first kit I didn't really have fun building.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How is the Kotobukiya Frame Arms (The mecha not the Frame Arms Girls) line? I saw a picture of the Greifen model and it looks sick, are they similar in build quality to an HG Gunpla?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

How is the Kotobukiya Frame Arms (The mecha not the Frame Arms Girls) line? I saw a picture of the Greifen model and it looks sick, are they similar in build quality to an HG Gunpla?

It's more like a 30 minute mission (or rather, 30MM is inspired by frame arms). A frame that you build armor onto that has lots of modularity and ports for customization. Theyre bigger than standard HG size, but their construction is still relatively simple. Plastic is nice and everything fits together well, but you might get nubs and seams in ugly places since Koto doesn't focus on stuff like that as much

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Arc Hammer posted:

I think a lot of them are great but you sorta need to investigate what you're buying. The FA line has a lot of entries, updates to older releases and a specific line for modelers that's just certain parts of a kit in a single color, a lone inner frame or extra weapons and gear. I'll explain in some detail further below.

El Burbo posted:

It's more like a 30 minute mission (or rather, 30MM is inspired by frame arms). A frame that you build armor onto that has lots of modularity and ports for customization. Theyre bigger than standard HG size, but their construction is still relatively simple. Plastic is nice and everything fits together well, but you might get nubs and seams in ugly places since Koto doesn't focus on stuff like that as much
No offense but some of this isn't really true anymore. What you're describing are the old releases which indeed had an inner frame (usually pre-built iirc) that you just stuck parts to. However there have been two waves of updates to the line. The first had an update to certain parts of the frame but the second wave did away with the full inner frame. These are full model kits like you'd expect them to be and the frame parts are for the inner structure and joints. But you don't build a full frame that can stand on its own. I mean you could do it with the parts provided but the build works differently now. The frame parts form the inner part of a layered design and you don't just stick armor parts on it anymore. These releases are marked as RE2 on the box and I would recommend those over the old ones.

Imo they are more complex and time consuming than HG and 30MM by a fair bit but they also come in different sizes. I'm going to show the RE2 Greifen later but this chonker came in a huge box and took me multiple days to make. Kotobukiya is expensive but they mostly deliver quality design and plastic for the cost. I haven't seen ill fitting parts or gaps yet and the detailing and jointing is very good overall imo. Yes there are seams and some nubs in awkward spots but there are also awesome parts where the nubs and seams are hidden under the layered design so it's hard to generalize that. Though I guess you can say that you're pretty likely to find at least one seam on a detailed surface with corners/greebles that will test your patience and sanding skills.

I'm a fan so I'm probably biased but I have not been disappointed by the Koto kits I've built so far. I still would recommend to hunt for cheapo prices though because RRP is kinda harsh for a lot of the kits.

On to the Greifen RE2

This is built without the clear plastic parts for the head since it will get some paint in the far future. You can also see some of the most noticeable seams on this kit on the shins, forearms and the middle of the head (hate that!). One nice detail is that the eye sensor is pre-painted. The build itself is mostly stable but the waist is a little bit weak imo. Lots of articulation on all limbs and parts though. I guess I should also mention that the kit comes with a few holes to plug in extra parts/weapons from the accessory kits line (M.S.G.).

The main gimmick are four manipulator arms with little grabby claws that fold out of the forearms and shins. Fun fact: Greifen actually means "grabbing" or "to grab something" in German. My pic makes the lower arms hard to see but they fold out towards the front like the others do. Also lots of joints and articulation here.

The missile pods appear sorta plain but you actually have a few options here. The articulated handle gives you a few different holding poses and you can remove it to attach the pods to the forearms or to the small module on the back. The side of the pods also has one of the harder seams to deal with if you want that level of clean finish.

As an aside, there is an old parts set to make the Greifen into a heavy boi and I'm willing to pay a lot of money if I ever find it through a safe source.

Lastly here's a glimpse into the scope of the build. It comes with 15 main runners +1 one for the clear parts. So yeah it will keep you busy for a little bit at least.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 3, 2023

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Backlogust Stats

Having asked several people to check my math as a grown-rear end adult, it is my pleasure to announce that the winner of Backlogust 2023 is Tergaso!

Wdarkk came in second, neck and neck with Tergaso right at that final run. Wdarkk also holds this year's title for most kits assembled, taking a wholly-HG strategy and producing a whopping 17 finished kits.

In a highly respectable third-place finish is chrome line, who is also a record holder, with the most non-HG kits put together.

If your username appears on the chart below, you've won a prize!

Please send me a PM or an email my gmail account, destysa, with your shipping address to start claiming a prize. Eurozone and US participants will get physical loot, while the rest of the world will be something we figure out.

How did it come to this?

2023 was a pretty high-scoring year. Average points came to 7.28, while the median points came to five. The minimum points scored by any participant was two, so at least you built a fancier kit or more than one HG, and nearly everybody has actually reduced their backlog, despite the addition of a prize. Overall points distribution is about the same as in previous years, where some of you are monomaniacal builders and there's a gentle log-ish curve out to the rest of the participants.

Our two CHAOS MODE entrants, nitsuga and gripweed scored well, earning five points apiece. When the two of you reach out to me about your prizes, let me know if you want something out of the regular pool of Gunpla stuff, or if you want to take a pick from a set of figures and traditional models.

There were actually more non-HG kits than I expected this year, although HGs were at an all-time high of popularity. Whether this is due to preferences, global economic climate, or the fact that Bandai is deathly afraid of making anything that's not a 1/144 kit these days is unclear. Painting is slightly down compared to last year, which is presumably an artifact of it not being a terrible idea to go outside again. The higher scorers did tend to have a varied diet with some painting in there. Special shoutout to MrE once again for being wild enough to paint an RG Eva. MGs and RGs are your friends, class.

After watching for a few years, it seems pretty clear that the min-max strategy to win Backlogust and turn money into prizes is to build a bunch of HGs. This is what is commonly known as a perverse incentive, as you are spending time and money to increase the size of your backlog so you can decrease the size of your backlog so you can increase the size of your backlog. The "safe" strategy seems to be picking a bunch of RGs and MGs for time constraints, or if you're quick with an airbrush and penny-conscious, painting a bunch of HGs.

If you have actually put thought into how you are going to win Backlogust, please seek professional help.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

grassy gnoll posted:

The "safe" strategy seems to be picking a bunch of RGs and MGs for time constraints, or if you're quick with an airbrush and penny-conscious, painting a bunch of HGs.

If you have actually put thought into how you are going to win Backlogust, please seek professional help.

The rules don't state the painting has to be good.

They also don't state that a dog can't enter the competition.

In the attached script for "Air Bud/Air Brush" I seek to explore the human condition by

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

grassy gnoll posted:

Backlogust Stats

Having asked several people to check my math as a grown-rear end adult, it is my pleasure to announce that the winner of Backlogust 2023 is Tergaso!

I had a lot of fun this month, and want to congratulate Wdarkk and chrome line, it was a close one the whole way through. Of course, in my book we're all winners because we were building Gunpla. It was cool to see some interesting kits and what people were most interested in building. Thanks to grassy gnoll for running the contest.

I'm running out of shelf space.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Congratulations to all the competitors! One of these summers I won't be so slammed by work that I'm too exhausted to build when I get home.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Thanks so much, grassy grill, for putting this on. It was great seeing all the stuff people did. And it was the push I needed to finally paint some Orks, which I never will again.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Thanks for organizing, Gnoll. Happy to have my backlog emptied for a bit.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I once again didn't even get a kit done because I keep being mentally swamped.

But good job to those that made all those cool models!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm sure I'll be stuck into it next year

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You are a boss for running it again this year, grassy gnoll!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Midjack posted:

You are a boss for running it again this year, grassy gnoll!

:emptyquote:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Very tired reading thus and thought the winner of Backlogust was Tallgeese

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Think I'm going blind.

Anyone know where the Zeta MG 2.0 dry transfer/decal G (pair) is supposed to go? Caution marking, with four small symbols it ( black (x), black box, red circle, black + ) and black text, implying it's to go on something white.

Skipping over it for now, but I can't find it anywhere on the marking guide or any images of the kit people have built. It's also in various aftermarket decal kits, not just Bandai's own, which is slightly odd for something not used.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I had considered backlogust this year due to my growing backlog of HLJ shipments that have arrived and have yet to be touched but good lord am I just not mentally anywhere prepared to sit down and actually do something. Grats to everyone who could actually chip away at their backlogs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Argas posted:

I had considered backlogust this year due to my growing backlog of HLJ shipments that have arrived and have yet to be touched but good lord am I just not mentally anywhere prepared to sit down and actually do something. Grats to everyone who could actually chip away at their backlogs.

It's hard to get in the zone sometimes. Don't feel bad, build when the mood strikes you and be amazed at how quickly you get them together once you begin. :cheerdoge:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Went to the hobby shop today but at the end of the month they're moving and it'll be harder to get to by bus. They've got a colossal selection of gunpla and I should have grabbed the Full Mechanics Aerial when I was there. They've also got the Macross Plus kits but they were over $60 CAD.

And true to form they had more Michaelis kits than anything else for WFM.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Arc Hammer posted:

And true to form they had more Michaelis kits than anything else for WFM.

I have never seen a single Michaelis in this dick-nuts city, I swear sometimes I'm posting from another universe than the rest of you. I'm gonna be like the only person in the world to order a Michaelis online because that gun hand is the coolest thing in the whole WfM line.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Our store seems to sell it as well as anything else.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arc Hammer posted:

They've also got the Macross Plus kits but they were over $60 CAD.

That's a pretty good price for those, they're more expensive in US online stores right now. They're also excellent kits; fun to build and look great on display.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They had a bunch of YF-19s, one YF-21 and even the one space fighter Isamu pilots at the start of episode one. How big are they compared to a high grade? The boxes were pretty large.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
The big ones are 1/48 so about 35-40 cm long, bigger than MGs and slightly larger than the bigger 1/1000 Yamato kits (i.e. the Yamato itself, which clocks in at 30 cm). The YF-19 main fuselage can just barely fit in the box straight. Smaller ones tend to be 1/72 so about 20-25 cm long.

I've only done a (plamax, recent) 1/72 VF-1 so far. Tipping that through 90 degrees puts the tip of the nose at about the top of the MG Barbatos's head.

They do require a bit of glue and don't have much in the way of colour separation so they'll ideally want at least a little paint.

(There's a whole set of aftermaket parts too - photo etch upgrades, missile/fast/super packs, canopy masks...)

But yeah the one I have built was an absolutely great kit and a wonderful change of pace without having to worry about the "real world" aspect of plane kits. I have a couple in my backlog, including the hase 1/48 YF-19.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It didn't look like that box. It was the new 2022 one they made for the Macross 40th anniversary.

Says it's a 1/100 scape so bigger than a high grade given how long aircraft are before you factor in robot modes.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

It didn't look like that box. It was the new 2022 one they made for the Macross 40th anniversary.

Says it's a 1/100 scape so bigger than a high grade given how long aircraft are before you factor in robot modes.

Is there a YF 21 of these?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

trunkh posted:

Is there a YF 21 of these?

Not yet, but it's in development.

It's actually not that much bigger than a high grade, if you look at dalong, although the bonus parts for transformation add a bunch of plastic. Fun kit, but don't expect something that can easily sit next to a MG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The 15% off Labor Day sale on USAGundam got me to spend some money on them for the first time in a year. Zoids for me and Armored Core for the missus: