Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im gonna space bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
in space no one can hear you squee

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Kirby converts matter to energy at 100% efficiency, but he can *choose* to retain some matter to projectile vomit at enemies.

He's really an amazing organism

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

how many times has kirby beaten up that poor tree?

It's easy to forget, but in the first Kirby game he couldn't actually absorb powers. He could just suck things up and expel them as a star (or expel air).

That's one of the few games I played as a young child (and like literally all games I played at that age, I never beat it). One thing it's interesting to remember is how comically short original Gameboy games were. Kirby apparently takes less than 30 minutes to beat if you play it straight-through. It's easy to see why Pokemon became so popular, as a Gameboy game that you could actually invest a ton of time into.

Speaking of weird original Gameboy games, the first Mario Gameboy game was also loving weird and deeply different from other Mario games.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i got very good at beating the gameboy kirby game as a child, probably could have been an agdq pro if i stuck with it

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

It's easy to forget, but in the first Kirby game he couldn't actually absorb powers. He could just suck things up and expel them as a star (or expel air).

That's one of the few games I played as a young child (and like literally all games I played at that age, I never beat it). One thing it's interesting to remember is how comically short original Gameboy games were. Kirby apparently takes less than 30 minutes to beat if you play it straight-through. It's easy to see why Pokemon became so popular, as a Gameboy game that you could actually invest a ton of time into.

Speaking of weird original Gameboy games, the first Mario Gameboy game was also loving weird and deeply different from other Mario games.

weird rear end game yeah. the submarine and airplane levels were thrilling. there were moai that bounced around iirc. super mario land 2 is real weird as well.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As a kid I wasn't allowed more than 45 minutes of game time per diem, so Kirby's Dream Land was literally the only one I managed to beat for a few years (since you can clear it in about that long fairly easily)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

beat ac6. very cool game that has hurt my hands with all the constant triggering. a controller with turbo buttons would be good for it. wish there had been more gigantic robots/bases with emplacements to fight

the wet pit full of robo bonewheels with the moonlight great sword was funny. coulda been a poison swamp though

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

im hard stuck at g1 michigan, nothing i do seems to let me overcome his endless reinforcements. thinking back, this feels a lot like why i bounced off ac4 after loving the previous titles, i just like slower paced mechs more. not sure i'm gonna finish this :/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chard posted:

im hard stuck at g1 michigan, nothing i do seems to let me overcome his endless reinforcements. thinking back, this feels a lot like why i bounced off ac4 after loving the previous titles, i just like slower paced mechs more. not sure i'm gonna finish this :/

Does circle strafing with 4 shotguns work?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Chard posted:

you got any explosives? it's pretty tough but most of poor fuckers in MTs are super weak. songbirds work really well. also the various turret/drone things aren't bad either. also the assault pulse OS upgrade

Hatebag posted:

beat ac6. very cool game that has hurt my hands with all the constant triggering. a controller with turbo buttons would be good for it. wish there had been more gigantic robots/bases with emplacements to fight

the wet pit full of robo bonewheels with the moonlight great sword was funny. coulda been a poison swamp though

you gonna do ng+/ng++? worth it

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Chard posted:

can you get the handheld missile launchers? going all missiles makes a lot of missions very easy, particularly with the tetrapod legs because you can basically become the first helicopter boss and just strafe around shooting hundreds of missiles out.

Cuttlefush posted:

you gonna do ng+/ng++? worth it

i immediately started playing ng+ upon beating it lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh drat the base building has a light factorio element

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
in the G1 fight, it might be a good idea to focus on the guys as they're still floating down - a bunch of them are being ferried by helicopters and you can knock out ~4 of them at a time really easy if you focus on them, and the guys being slowly ferried down by the cargo loaders cant shoot back and are really easy to hit. just gotta kill fast enough after that to keep the trash below critical mass and keep the tetrapod MTs on the other end of the big central shaft until you're ready to focus on them

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

lol those are all fantastic tips, and things i've tried! just can't execute. part of it, like others have noted, is the 8bitdo left stick loves to click in, and rebinding might help, but it's defintiely not my only deficiency. dont get old kids, i vote for carousel.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Chard posted:

lol those are all fantastic tips, and things i've tried! just can't execute. part of it, like others have noted, is the 8bitdo left stick loves to click in, and rebinding might help, but it's defintiely not my only deficiency. dont get old kids, i vote for carousel.

mouse and keyboard my friend

no weird clicking sticks. just your hand, a mouse, as many buttons as you need

Hatebag posted:

i immediately started playing ng+ upon beating it lol

:hai:

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Rebind assault boost to a face button is a really good idea imo. There's rarely a need to use the "turn on basic movement boost" so that can be L3 thumbstick press.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

changing server/dl region is generally the fix for that

Yeah, I do that all the time it never works

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tukasakotobuki/status/1697982133078491500

when he presses the goddamn dedicated missiles button

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
how the gently caress do you use a two joystick setup for AC...what the gently caress

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

RandomBlue posted:

no get you some good clothes like these:

I am wearing a snazzy poncho. Gonna be the ninja cyberpunk cowboy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

how the gently caress do you use a two joystick setup for AC...what the gently caress

there's probably an interstitial application that takes the inputs from the controller and translates it back into something like an xbox controller input for the game

I had to do something similar when Ace Combat 7 wouldn't recognize my Thrustmaster joystick and I had to fool the computer into thinking it was a controller

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I tried to play Wasteland 3 but it keeps crashing my computer. :(

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lol lifting the safety glass for the assault burst

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

there's probably an interstitial application that takes the inputs from the controller and translates it back into something like an xbox controller input for the game

I had to do something similar when Ace Combat 7 wouldn't recognize my Thrustmaster joystick and I had to fool the computer into thinking it was a controller

yeah the way he's playing it looks analogous to... analog sticks. he just uses the right stick for the triggers and i think a face button or maybe lock on/default r3. doesn't really move the stick much

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i wonder if the app he's using has functions for all the extra buttons on the Steel Battalion controller mostly used for getting advice and acknowledgements from allies in the original game it was for

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

no i mean like... the inputs. you just control camera and directional movement in AC. it sort of makes sense for mech warrior where you have a few more axes than analog sticks would offer (e.g. torso twisting). just seems kinda limiting for AC? i mean it's cool but also it's kind of like playing with bongos for a challenge. how are ACs piloted in lore anyway? brain? idk

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i assumed everyone in ac 6 was a cybernetic brain in a jar

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

what stands out to me is how smooth the first person mod looks

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

man the new biome in against the storm is hard as hell

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Hatebag posted:

i assumed everyone in ac 6 was a cybernetic brain in a jar

there are a few logs you can find in the game with sketch artwork of all of the characters (except you)

621 is the only half-alive medical gimp

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
621 turn off your monitor

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
concept art

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the dual gatling gun tank tread ac loadout is too good. rip every enemy that eats 2x bullet hoses with the +15% kinetic damage os tuning

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The Dahir Insaat city in Starfield has it's own shantytown. Lmao its full of piggus, squatters and someone is stealing power.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Quick Starfield review. I've been playing non stop. Just ended a 9h session. Look man, I don't know how ppl give the game a 7. I understand reviews are subjective but I think being a jaded burnout factors in. I can see that if you're forced to play games for work every week. I can see nitpicking things tnat most people won't care about. But a 7 for the scope, scale and execution of Starfield is not something I consider a serious review. So let's talk fun stuff.

All I know is that it's pretty staggering and cool. Any clunk is easily overlooked. Any confusion is easily Googled. You *are* going to be overwhelmed at the interface at first. But drat, it's just glorious to experience and play and wander around in. If you still like games and adventure, I guess.

The side missions are a blast. Space battles are fun. Gun combat is surprisingly solid. It will take a while and google to figure out all the systems and get to understand the core loop. But you know that with a Bethesda game, right?

Upgrading gear ticks all the right boxes. I wandered into an off quest place called Lair of the Mantis, via a note I found in another place. Holy poo poo, this was a major space dungeon. Lots of combat. Traps to figure out. Tough robots to right. Uber gear and a new free ship at the end. I had to fly back to home base twice to get meds! Probably took me 2 hours to clear the place. And it was a side dungeon with good gear. Give me more please. Right into my veins.

If you like space adventure and ever wanted to system hop running missions for any number of folks, this is your game. It runs 60 on my pc (32g, 1080Ti) except in major cities (where there's no combat). I have a 3070 coming today to try out.

I really enjoy just wandering around doing what I want, and getting back to major questlines as I see fit.

I don't play a zillion games and am an average Joe, but once you get 3-4 hours in and start to understand it all and it clicks, it's pretty glorious. I'm reminded of when I first played Oblivion.

When I get bored and have done enough I'll just blaze though the main quest like I did in Fallout 3.

You certainly don't need me to sell you on a Bethesda game. You know what you're getting and if you enjoyed their games in the past you're gonna love Starfield.

Anything under a 9 is just looking for clicks or by someone who isn't a genre fan or something. #Starfield   

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
hes right. Each of the factions seems to be an american archetype. The UC is literally california complete with progressive outlook where the disgusting poors are forced to live underground. Neon is Dimes square with all the :catdrugs:, The space cowboys are all cali transplants who move to texas and drive big SUVs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
its funny how much starfield is exactly a bethesda game down to a tee. like it was a lot of joking in the run-up when people asked what it was and 'bethesda game' was always the answer. but it totally is like a reskinned oblivion/fo3 et al. that's not a negative nor a positive thing, it just is. the simplest litmus test is do you like oblivion: yes-> then you'll like it, no-> you won't.

lol at people who paid like $120 to buy it and were shocked by this revelation. i was gunna game pass it but decided piracy is the better+correct option, as god intended.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
so just like fromsoft's games then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the opening of starfield sucks rear end.

you get like 40 tutorials about the various forms of fast travel cause most of the game is just selecting where you will spawn to shoot guys

then when you shoot guys it takes a whole clip to down them cause they have rpg health instead of fps health

also i can't adjust the fov or the brightness unless im not seeing those sliders.

the story is like hey you wanna join the space artifact club? cool you are in. enjoy your club jet pack bro.

idk if it gets good but i do know the research facility i cleared will be used dozens of times exactly the same down to the item placements for the rest of the game.

thanks for the game todd. hope it grows on me. im juggling 4 other titles since everything decided to gey cracked day 1 this summer