Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

EasilyConfused posted:

What's the Fausto disappearance?

You can get the story from that Reddit link or several other sites on the web - a Spanish fishing boat that disappeared, reappeared, disappeared again, reappeared and then disappeared forever.

I gave it as an example of something that's mysterious, not to suggest that it's paranormal etc. but that despite being well documented and verified, the facts we have make little sense, no theory really fits, and it can't be explained away by the usual broad "it was a hoax / mistaken observation / misreporting ...". As distinct from mysteries where we don't know the full story but there's a prosaic theory that although unproven could explain just about everything, e.g. Roanoke.

nonathlon has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Aug 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm kind of disappointed that it's a boat, I saw the name El Fausto and immediately started picturing more of a mythical folklore figure

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gaius Marius posted:

Mothman wouldn't hurt nobody. He's a friend.

Mothman’s crisis PR management company has really done wonders on the rehabilitation of his image.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Mothman’s crisis PR management company has really done wonders on the rehabilitation of his image.

Reading The Mothman Prophecies really makes it funny to consider how the public image of Mothma has changed in the last few years.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mothman ganked an entire bridge of people

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HE WAS WARNING THEM!!!!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I didn’t know about the Fausto, and that Reddit link was pretty interesting.

It’s certainly a bizarre story.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

HE WAS WARNING THEM!!!!
Yeah, he warned them. He said "I'm gonna gank you all!".

THEN HE GANKED THEM ALL!!!!!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gaius Marius posted:

HE WAS WARNING THEM!!!!

Only in the same way the IRA warned people before bombings

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, he warned them. He said "I'm gonna gank you all!".

THEN HE GANKED THEM ALL!!!!!

The best part was when he said "IT'S MOTHMAN TIME" and mothman'd all over that bridge

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gaius Marius posted:

Mothman wouldn't hurt nobody. He's a friend.

Mothman was an amateur enthusiast OSHA inspector who tried really hard to help everyone but failed. :smith:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Julio is the strangest part of that Fausto story. I don't get what compels him to stay on the boat. Like the only thing i can imagine is someone going through that experience and feeling like you bonded with these people and wanting to finish it out with them, I guess?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Snooze Cruise posted:

Julio is the strangest part of that Fausto story. I don't get what compels him to stay on the boat. Like the only thing i can imagine is someone going through that experience and feeling like you bonded with these people and wanting to finish it out with them, I guess?

Right - if you subtracted him from the story, it would be easier to believe in some joint misadventure by the crew. They were drug smuggling, decided to run away to South America, etc. But he's there - so you instead have to ask what happened to them.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Mothman was a patsy

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

nonathlon posted:

Right - if you subtracted him from the story, it would be easier to believe in some joint misadventure by the crew. They were drug smuggling, decided to run away to South America, etc. But he's there - so you instead have to ask what happened to them.

One of the comments on that reddit thread postulated carbon monoxide poisoning, which is more plausible than most of the explanations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

Reading The Mothman Prophecies really makes it funny to consider how the public image of Mothma has changed in the last few years.

Richard Gere is like "okay, what's in my pocket" and Indrid Cold says "Chapstick" and he's like "ha, wrong, I don't use lip balm" and Indrid Cold says "No, you idiot, I said chap's dick, don't play pocket pool on the phone for fucks sake"

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

EasilyConfused posted:

What's the Fausto disappearance?

Nothing much, what's the Fausto with you?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I'd never heard of the Fausto before, that's a wild story.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Cryptid/Alien novels can be rough going and this one sucked eggs:

"julian shock" was really prolific hack jn williamson, and the story is a jumble of scifi/ufo cliches thrown together with lazy cynicism by the author. full capsule review at the blog https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/2023/08/extraterrestrial-by-julian-shock.html

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of alien books, I've always been curious about Communion. I figured there would at least be some video on YouTube, but all I could find was someone with an extremely thick accent talk about how they read it in high school but turned into him talking about how much sex he had in high school.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Was he at least having sex with greys?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That Loch Ness Monster hunt last weekend was a washout but it did prompt someone to share these photos she took back in 2018 but had been afraid to share because she feared public ridicule

:effort:

Those photos suck but the Daily Mail still ran them on their front page, must've been a reeeally slow news day

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-image-cam.html

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That Loch Ness Monster hunt last weekend was a washout but it did prompt someone to share these photos she took back in 2018 but had been afraid to share because she feared public ridicule

:effort:

Time for some private ridicule, then :getin:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

drat nessy left her garbage bags just out there

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Those photos suck but the Daily Mail still ran them on their front page, must've been a reeeally slow news day

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-image-cam.html

I thought the headline was related at first and the Daily Mail was going all in on privacy for poor Nessie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The GBS UFO thread had a discussion about UFo hoaxers and I dug up this "Youtube content creator" who faked a UFO sighting last year. Nothing new there, but the part that I found most fascinating was when she visited a UFO spotters club who hold regular UFO summoning meetups in Hollydale Park CA. They had binders full of photos of UFOs they'd taken and .... uh .... I'll let the footage speak for itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEqZYWGYQrc&t=30s

One of the main "UFO summoners" is a guy called Ron Bingham who gets a fair amount of media attention. He claims that he can telepathically communicate with UFOs, ghosts and even bigfoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNaPCCZFsoM

He seems to be a pretty harmless but deeply deluded guy who believes he's got special UFO super powers. He's been doing this for several decades which is pretty sad. You see the exact same thing in bigfoot circles, I've done a few posts ITT about the communities of bigfoot "communicators" who believe they have a special psychic bond with bigfoot.

Here's a video interviewing a few other UFO summoners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvy_K81PbS8

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Sep 3, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I can talk to bigfoot too but It is a secret and I use it for evil

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Heh, the UFO whisperer is reminding me of Nope again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SkeletonHero posted:

I thought the headline was related at first and the Daily Mail was going all in on privacy for poor Nessie.

It'd be way more likely that they'd go the opposite way and try to tap Nessie's phone

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The UFO whisperer reminds me of the short indie documentary Curse of the Man Who sees UFOs. Definitely recommend that for a short slice of life look at a guy who is convinced that UFOs follow him everywhere.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
On the other day i remembered about the Disclosure project from the 90's that had some pretty weird events reported by goverment employees, at the time i was deep on conspiracy thinking mode, and this seemed the best shot to put pressure on the goverment to release some info.
Went to check out were they were now and they sell trips to the nevada desert to comunicate to UFOs and make them show up lol

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of alien books, I've always been curious about Communion. I figured there would at least be some video on YouTube, but all I could find was someone with an extremely thick accent talk about how they read it in high school but turned into him talking about how much sex he had in high school.

Should be pretty easy to get it from your local library or interlibrary loan system

Communion is the one big Grey movie I was never really interested in, because I thought Strieber had achieved some sort of peace with his greys, making him more of a contactee than an abductee. I guess I'm in it for the horrible space goblins.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Micr0chiP posted:

On the other day i remembered about the Disclosure project from the 90's that had some pretty weird events reported by goverment employees,

Oh this reminds me, I randomly remembered reading Secret Govt Files online back in the 90s about vague reports from soldiers who’d supposedly gone into secret Russian/Eastern European black site labs and found all sorts of terrifying human/animal hybrids, but they neglected to go into any detail at all. :thunk:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Phy posted:

Should be pretty easy to get it from your local library or interlibrary loan system

Communion is the one big Grey movie I was never really interested in, because I thought Strieber had achieved some sort of peace with his greys, making him more of a contactee than an abductee. I guess I'm in it for the horrible space goblins.

How close does the movie track with the book?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
A very cool cover from the New English Library for this great old Triangle buster:

dig the titles in the back page ad ... The Rats! Carrie! Dune!

plus an old rear end coupon inside for 49 cents off a bacon cheeseburger from hardees of manitowoc and two rivers!!!

both locations are closed now :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

both locations are closed now :(

:(:respek::rip:

I love it though, both the old-school book list and the random Hardee's coupon. Also the book copy's abrupt swerve from observable geology and meteorology to time travel and aliens :v:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Captain Hygiene posted:

:(:respek::rip:

I love it though, both the old-school book list and the random Hardee's coupon. Also the book copy's abrupt swerve from observable geology and meteorology to time travel and aliens :v:

its a good book, a pretty engaging debunking of the old triangle stories ... kusche points out that one of the old classic victims of the triangle disappeared in the PACIFIC OCEAN. some excerpts:

i'm pretty chuffed with myself for discovering that the Ellen Austin, another apocryphal triangle tale, was taken straight from a short story by willian hope hodgson, "the mystery of the water logged ship." kusche pegged it as nonsense but couldn't find a source.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh that's cool - both that story, and the tone of the other section, which seems to be a nice divergence from the cover blurb.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh that's cool - both that story, and the tone of the other section, which seems to be a nice divergence from the cover blurb.

yeah Kusche was a library worker who kept getting requests for triangle stuff and started looking into it himself and researching the famous cases. he was so disappointed at the mystery mongering and bad sources that he wrote this book. it's a fun ride thru midcentury paranormal stuff and interesting to see how kusche goes thru archives and records to find out if a certain ship even existed or how it sank/disappeared. he's not afraid to say when it truly is a mystery either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

neat af!