Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

Any recommendations for tower defense games with the sale?

Immortal Defense
Mindustry if you like logistics
GemCraft: Chasing Shadows and/or Frostborn Wrath

Exor Studio, the makers of The Riftbreaker, have another defense game called X-Morph: Defense but sadly it's not on sale

Space Run Galaxy is not on sale but only :10bux:; it has some new elements you may or may not enjoy, like a much more complex map and upgrade materials you have to grind for & ferry around, but I thought it was decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

LLSix posted:

Ill stan for Thronefall since I haven’t found a way to stop going back night after night no matter how many times I tell myself I’ve satisfied my tower defense hunger.

Game is stupidly addictive and only $7.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Ill stan for Thronefall since I haven’t found a way to stop going back night after night no matter how many times I tell myself I’ve satisfied my tower defense hunger.

Game is stupidly addictive and only $7.

Sounds worryingly attractive, thrown into wishlist for when it comes out of EA.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

LLSix posted:

Seconding Immortal Defense. It is all of $1 in the sale. If you have any interest in weird, excellent, hinduism-inspired sci fi short stories or weird, pretty good, hinduism-inspired tower defense, and can spare the cost of a stick of gum, then it's a good use of time.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I just finished the Golden Idol dlc. Love the little dopamine hit when the chime plays and the border turns green. Sad that's the last of it.

Any other deductive puzzle games like that? I've played (and loved) Obra Dinn.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

I just finished the Golden Idol dlc. Love the little dopamine hit when the chime plays and the border turns green. Sad that's the last of it.

Any other deductive puzzle games like that? I've played (and loved) Obra Dinn.

Unheard, maybe

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Unheard, maybe

Seconded

Play the DLC mission for more Golden Idol style complexity

Tim Sheinman has made a bunch of Obra Dinnlikes
https://tim-sheinman.itch.io/

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/27678/The_Detective_Collection/

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

I've already played

Defense Grid (1&2)
Creeper World (I know goons like it but I found it unengaging)
The Riftbreaker (this one was a blast, 150+ hours of play time)
Kingdom
The Last Spell (I wouldn't call this a tower defense but steam thinks it is)
Orcs Must Die (1-3, this is a lot of fun multiplayer. Writing is the funny sort of cringey)
Factorio (loved this, but more for the logistics than the primitive tower defense elements)
Space Run (played the campaign twice)

Space Run is pretty entertaining tower defense game. It starts off easy. The last few levels can get pretty hectic, but the enemy waves are scripted so you can try, try again until you've memorized them and/or found a strategy that works.

How do you feel about turn-based strategy games like X-Com? I feel like they're much easier to learn then RTSes like Starcraft because the gameplay is inherently less chaotic so it's easier to tell why something didn't work when it all goes pear-shaped.

If you're specifically looking for "Starcraft but easier", maybe give Northgard a try? It plays fairly similarly but with a much smaller unit count so it's easier to manage.

maybe take a look at sanctum 1?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

LLSix posted:

I've already played

Defense Grid (1&2)
Creeper World (I know goons like it but I found it unengaging)
The Riftbreaker (this one was a blast, 150+ hours of play time)
Kingdom
The Last Spell (I wouldn't call this a tower defense but steam thinks it is)
Orcs Must Die (1-3, this is a lot of fun multiplayer. Writing is the funny sort of cringey)
Factorio (loved this, but more for the logistics than the primitive tower defense elements)
Space Run (played the campaign twice)

Adding Defender's Quest and Anomaly Warzon Earth to the pile.
Anomaly is kinda reverse-TD in that you're planning a convoy across a tower-defended territory instead, but it's good and IIRC one of their titles is a more conventional TD.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Recommendations for something relatively brainless?

Work is really busy right now so while I love Baldur's Gate 3, I only have energy for it on days off. Would like something I can chill with for an hour or so in the evenings.

Considering going back to Elder Scrolls Online but it would probably take a day off to get back into the swing of things after not touching it for a couple years. Grim Dawn is usually my go-to but I'm waiting for the expansion that was announced recently.

E: most any genre is fine except for deckbuilders.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
30XX came out recently and is a good jump-n-shooter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

Vampire Survivors

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Work is really busy right now so while I love Baldur's Gate 3, I only have energy for it on days off. Would like something I can chill with for an hour or so in the evenings.

Considering going back to Elder Scrolls Online but it would probably take a day off to get back into the swing of things after not touching it for a couple years. Grim Dawn is usually my go-to but I'm waiting for the expansion that was announced recently.

Hwurmp posted:

Vampire Survivors

Was going to suggest this one! I haven't tried it myself (yet), but the way folks talk about it, it seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

To give my own suggestion, my go to chill out game would be Stardew Valley. That game is just such a good vibe/mood. It might be a bit more brain intensive than what you're looking for, but just keep in mind nothing is permanently missable. If you miss something, it'll come back around again next year, and the days/seasons are short. Might be good to just run around and vibe with the music, catch fish, forage, talk to people, and chill.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PowerWash Simulator is also very Zen

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I just finished a brief obsession with Vampire Survivors but yes that is an excellent suggestion. I di have a half finished playthrough of Stardew, maybe I should try and finish that!

E:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

30XX came out recently and is a good jump-n-shooter.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I am incredibly bad at 2d platformers. Like imagine somebody who is very bad at them and I am worse than that :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I just finished a brief obsession with Vampire Survivors but yes that is an excellent suggestion. I di have a half finished playthrough of Stardew, maybe I should try and finish that!

E:

Sorry, should have mentioned that I am incredibly bad at 2d platformers. Like imagine somebody who is very bad at them and I am worse than that :v:

30XX does have an assist mode which lets you make things nearly arbitrarily easier, but totally understood if that's not something that interests you.

Deep Rock Galactic on lower difficulties is a good team-based FPS with a shockingly wholesome community. You can absolutely play with randos and reliably have a good time.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Palia is a cozy freemium MMO where you make friends (with NPCs) and water crops. Pretty brainless.

The equivalent singleplayer game is Stardew Valley.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hi this is me too, I’m always on the lookout for new chill games. I tend to split up larger games into focus sessions and mindless sessions so I’ll grind levels in a jrpg after work and do the more intense story / boss stuff when I have more energy. In BG3 specifically I tend to do a lot of the admin tasks like inventory management and conversational poo poo when I’m tired and focus on combat only when I have energy.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Pooperscooper posted:

Probably turn base since I'm looking for more of a laid back approach instead of super frantic.

Battle For Polytopia has been my go-to for this on mobile for years. It's a very stripped down civ-like that requires very little thought from moment to moment. It also autosaves every turn so you can pick it up and drop it whenever. There's a Steam version that seems to be well-reviewed and I think it's just a few bucks.

Aside from Vampire Survivors, which will forever be the reigning champ, it has the best dollar-to-playtime ratio of anything else I've played.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Brotato?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

what are some good games where i can make builds and put points into skills. i just love filling out skill trees but NOT if i'm intended to fill out the whole thing eventually, i should have to make decisions/builds

examples: diablo 2 is the classic. path of exile also, grim dawn; i've already played everything in this genre so i'm looking outside

tales of maj'eyal hits a similar vibe in the roguelike world, i would love another roguelike but none of them i've found have skill choices in remotely the same way

world of warcraft's talent trees obviously

i'm to understand bethesda's games have some skill building and stuff but open world games makes me go to sleep so nothing open world please

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you just want to build a cool character and grab loot: Dungeonmans

If you have any interest in turn based tactics gameplay alongside doing mad builds: Battle Brothers

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

An Actual Princess posted:

what are some good games where i can make builds and put points into skills. i just love filling out skill trees but NOT if i'm intended to fill out the whole thing eventually, i should have to make decisions/builds

examples: diablo 2 is the classic. path of exile also, grim dawn; i've already played everything in this genre so i'm looking outside

tales of maj'eyal hits a similar vibe in the roguelike world, i would love another roguelike but none of them i've found have skill choices in remotely the same way

i'm to understand bethesda's games have some skill building and stuff but open world games makes me go to sleep so nothing open world please

Nova Drift

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hwurmp posted:

PowerWash Simulator is also very Zen

It also has no goddamn right having a main plot as good as it does.

No, I'm not joking, nor am I crazy :colbert:

And I'll have a small frostie, thank you.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Long Live the Queen, or pretty much anything by Choice of Games.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nova Drift is probably what you want. It's like the classic arcade asteroids game only every level you pick a new powerup to apply (from a randomized selection in roguelite fashion). You can make some insane combinations. Like turning yourself into a snake that kills everything it touches, oh and you're also longer than the screen so you turn into a permanent no-go zone for everything else.

If you want something story heavier, I hear BG3 is popular right now. Divinity Original Sin 2 and Pillars of Eternity 2 both deeper and more balanced skill trees to select from, but both also have their own writing quirks so who likes which depends heavily on which writing they like better. (I've personally never been able to make it past the first chapter of D:OS2 because of the writing, but lots of people do like it).

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

If you're going to recommend story games, then you've got to include "I Was a Teenage Exocolonist."

LLSix fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 6, 2023

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Firaxis Xcom? (If you can get it to run in current versions of Windows, it crashed on mission load every time I tried it last.) The skill trees aren't exaclty massive but iirc there's a game setting that randomises skills between classes, and you're forced to pick one of two options every time you level up, so all your soldiers within a single class can have different special abilities if you want.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

long live the queen is really cool and would almost fit but it's way too restrictive in terms of the game just ending if you don't do specific things at the right time. i do like it though.

Hwurmp posted:

Nova Drift

LLSix posted:

Nova Drift is probably what you want. It's like the classic arcade asteroids game only every level you pick a new powerup to apply (from a randomized selection in roguelite fashion). You can make some insane combinations. Like turning yourself into a snake that kills everything it touches, oh and you're also longer than the screen so you turn into a permanent no-go zone for everything else.

If you want something story heavier, I hear BG3 is popular right now. Divinity Original Sin 2 and Pillars of Eternity 2 both deeper and more balanced skill trees to select from, but both also have their own writing quirks so who likes which depends heavily on which writing they like better. (I've personally never been able to make it past the first chapter of D:OS2 because of the writing, but lots of people do like it).

If you're going to recommend story games, then you've got to include "I Was a Teenage Exocolonist."

i have played a bunch of nova drift and it's very cool but doesn't *entirely* hit what i'm looking for, though it's hard to put into words why. there's something special about seeing a whole tree at once as opposed to picking from a handful every level up. it does scratch the itch to some degree though and i haven't played it in yonks so i should load it up again anyway.

Pipski posted:

Firaxis Xcom? (If you can get it to run in current versions of Windows, it crashed on mission load every time I tried it last.) The skill trees aren't exaclty massive but iirc there's a game setting that randomises skills between classes, and you're forced to pick one of two options every time you level up, so all your soldiers within a single class can have different special abilities if you want.

xcom is fun but the skill options are wayyyy too few.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Across the Obelisk

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

long live the queen is really cool and would almost fit but it's way too restrictive in terms of the game just ending if you don't do specific things at the right time. i do like it though.

Magical Diary

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

I do not make this suggestion lightly, but there is a chance you may enjoy Academagia.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I do not make this suggestion lightly, but there is a chance you may enjoy Academagia.

It's such a shame that the remaining school years never came out. For all its shortcomings it was really unique and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

I'm seconding I Was A Teenage Exocolonist as a good alternative to LLTQ where you just keep rolling instead of having to clear a death flag every couple of turns. I would say though that Building Your Best Teen isn't a crucial part of the gameplay - like yeah, having high stats for whatever path you want to pursue definitely helps unlock new scenes here and there, but chances are pretty high that by the late game you'll be an all-rounder. Unlocking some of the hidden perks you get from maxing skills really sent a rush of dopamine to my brain the first time I played, though, so it might still be of interest to ya.

Also, mandatory Disco Elysium recommendation since the thread shouldn't go longer than a full page without one, but also because that's one insane skill tree to fill, and by design you're not supposed to just max out the whole thing even if you find the exploits that give you near-infinite experience.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Salt and Sanctuary has a complex skill tree and as a souls-like doesn't expect you to complete it
https://codepen.io/ffhighwind/full/BxNKXy

You said you've played many roguelikes and they didn't scratch the same itch as TOME but have you played Rift Wizard?

Do tech trees count? There's AI War 1 and 2

Does monster collecting and ability assignment count? Siralim Ultimate (You'll get everything eventually but the game is revolves around having very specific builds at any one time, there's no moment where you can do everything)

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 6, 2023

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'd heartily second Siralim Ultimate, and if you're not allergic to 2D platforming Monster Sanctuary along similar lines.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Any cool games where you're farming?
Not Farming Simulator, not really interested in the big machines and Stardew valley isn't my cup of tea.

I enjoyed planting stuff in minecraft but I also enjoyed making fields in games like Banished.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

Any cool games where you're farming?
Not Farming Simulator, not really interested in the big machines and Stardew valley isn't my cup of tea.

I enjoyed planting stuff in minecraft but I also enjoyed making fields in games like Banished.

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

woke kaczynski posted:

I'd heartily second Siralim Ultimate, and if you're not allergic to 2D platforming Monster Sanctuary along similar lines.

I'll second Monster Sanctuary, I really enjoyed it and it definitely fits the remit.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Seconded. This is my "oops got too high" game. It's like Slay the Spire in that it's great autopilot-brain fun on easy, but legit challenging when you crank up the difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Splicer posted:

Across the Obelisk

Hwurmp posted:

Magical Diary

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

SexyBlindfold posted:

I'm seconding I Was A Teenage Exocolonist as a good alternative to LLTQ where you just keep rolling instead of having to clear a death flag every couple of turns. I would say though that Building Your Best Teen isn't a crucial part of the gameplay - like yeah, having high stats for whatever path you want to pursue definitely helps unlock new scenes here and there, but chances are pretty high that by the late game you'll be an all-rounder. Unlocking some of the hidden perks you get from maxing skills really sent a rush of dopamine to my brain the first time I played, though, so it might still be of interest to ya.

fez_machine posted:

Salt and Sanctuary has a complex skill tree and as a souls-like doesn't expect you to complete it
https://codepen.io/ffhighwind/full/BxNKXy

You said you've played many roguelikes and they didn't scratch the same itch as TOME but have you played Rift Wizard?

Do tech trees count? There's AI War 1 and 2

Does monster collecting and ability assignment count? Siralim Ultimate (You'll get everything eventually but the game is revolves around having very specific builds at any one time, there's no moment where you can do everything)

woke kaczynski posted:

never played any of these so i'll look into all of them. cheers everybody!