Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Also air horns are quieter these days? The factory must be getting thrifty with how much noise they put into the can. I asked them about it but they kept muttering unintelligibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

This problem is confounded by companies and governments refusing to print things and mail them to you

but we have an app!

*app is lovely and designed for mobile so the desktop web sucks. oh and the mobile app sucks too because only poo poo is form input on even a tablet + keyboard a lovely UX*

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Apparently if that other thread is anything to go by, Burning Man.

Although I'm not sure if it ever was not lovely.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

All You Can Eat posted:

Sour candies are weak as heck these days. I have a bald spot on my tongue from when I ate three Warheads on a dare in the early 2000s, they were that potent.

Over the years these candies have gotten milder and milder. I bet they toned the intensity down to save costs, maybe also because morons kept burning their tongues by going overboard.

burning people's tongues to ash with ascorbic acid is not a viable business strategy, no

oldschool warheads were insane

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

PhazonLink posted:

you think that printer tracker dots and the whole ink racket thing would fuel a lively homebrew printer firmware and stuff, but apparently even tech weirdos dont care because even printers just work meh enough?

This is why you use a continuous form paper Dot Matrix Printer when you send the threatening notes. Grab some 1980s paper off eBay, and really make the FBI practice their forensics.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

The only good use for a printer:

https://youtu.be/pG8RAbWs1yo?si=qmOZFholAnppBVcT

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

All You Can Eat posted:

Sour candies are weak as heck these days. I have a bald spot on my tongue from when I ate three Warheads on a dare in the early 2000s, they were that potent.

Over the years these candies have gotten milder and milder. I bet they toned the intensity down to save costs, maybe also because morons kept burning their tongues by going overboard.

20 years ago I used to walk 2 miles to the dollar store and 2 miles back, uphill both ways, just to get a big sack of Warheads, and I definitely feel like I ate three at once back then.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Outpost22 posted:

Apparently if that other thread is anything to go by, Burning Man.

Although I'm not sure if it ever was not lovely.

Burning Man late 90s / early 00s was completely legit, according to a bunch of friends and my old landlord. Burning Man in TYOOL 2023 seems to suck though :shrug:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

PhazonLink posted:

*app is lovely and designed for mobile so the desktop web sucks. oh and the mobile app sucks too because only poo poo is form input on even a tablet + keyboard a lovely UX*

Sites where the desktop version has a hamburger menu like a mobile app, but closing the menu just replaces it with blank space. What's wrong with always showing the menu? My monitor is only 1920x1080 and I don't even run my browser fullscreen but so many sites crush everything into a tiny column that fills 30% of the window for no reason.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Vampire Panties posted:

Burning Man late 90s / early 00s was completely legit, according to a bunch of friends and my old landlord. Burning Man in TYOOL 2023 seems to suck though :shrug:

I heard it became a tech bro fascination and suffered the same fate as anything else that the tech bros put their gaze on.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

euphronius posted:

This problem is confounded by companies and governments refusing to print things and mail them to you

Well, yeah. They don't want to have to deal with printers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The PA dot makes you print out your car registration

There isn’t even an option to pay them to mail you one. I hate it so much

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I'm looking at windows 10 calendar, making a few appointments and reminders. It's now telling me the whole thing will be stripped out and replaced by Outlook next year.

loving hell. is it too much to ask for a functioning calendar?

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

Apple changed iOS recently, so now to set an alarm you have to go through the Health app and it took me several days of fiddling to figure out what the hell I'm looking at. It's just change for the sake of change.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Plan R posted:

I'm looking at windows 10 calendar, making a few appointments and reminders. It's now telling me the whole thing will be stripped out and replaced by Outlook next year.

Microsoft deliberately cripples all bundled windows apps and when they don’t they’ll be discontinued entirely by the next major release.

loving garbage rear end wordpad still has no spell check but they bothered including the ribbon interface. Also it somehow uses more memory than Word2003. Notepad is supposedly finally able to handle Unix line feeds.. any word if that actually came to be?

Any time I click a file and it’s handled by an included microsoft tool that’s my clue to replace it with something. The exception being the trusty snipping tool which I guess is going away of course.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

MS is getting rid of wordpad lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The snipping tool is fine and does exactly what it needs to. Of course it'll.br replaced with a complicated unusable mess. It screams 'engineer is currently in charge making decisions'.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

ProperCoochie posted:

You know when you right click a file and get a bunch of options like Cut Copy Paste Delete and so on? Well I hope you hate words but enjoy vague icons

you can switch that back to normal though

Internet Old One posted:

Any time I click a file and it’s handled by an included microsoft tool that’s my clue to replace it with something.

this is what ur supposed to do since forever ago

Junk fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 3, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm waiting for Windows 12, under the theory of "skip every other Window OS cuz it sucks".

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

redshirt posted:

I'm waiting for Windows 12, under the theory of "skip every other Window OS cuz it sucks".

They probably skipped Windows 9 cos they wanted to put as much distance away from Windows 8 as possible

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

redshirt posted:

My poor mother has been stuck on the wrong side of this cycle since Windows ME.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wash bucket posted:

My poor mother has been stuck on the wrong side of this cycle since Windows ME.

Lol a proud Vista user

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

edit: nevermind I'm stupid

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Hell, I'm looking at something new in the next year or so. I've got me yelling at myself to stay with Windows 10 and a friend yelling at me to go for Linux.

I don't know what to do!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

redshirt posted:

I remember reading around the time I bought my W10 computer that Microsoft assured W10 would be the last Windows os, with indefinite support via updates, lol

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Junk posted:

you can switch that back to normal though

this is what ur supposed to do since forever ago

Indeed. Since the days of MS-DOS and I used to really enjoy scouring BBS files to get the absolute best replacement for DIR.

Unfortunately while MS never bothered with making a lot of software better than it needed to be they have gotten more and more into the business of making lovely software that randomly breaks something else when replaced.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

All You Can Eat posted:

Also air horns are quieter these days? The factory must be getting thrifty with how much noise they put into the can. I asked them about it but they kept muttering unintelligibly.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Speaking of Windows, I’ve had the displeasure of dealing with 11 a few times now.

Remember in 7/10 when you right click a file and it gives you a bunch of common options for things you might want to do with that file? Now in 11 when you right click a file it just shows you pictures so you get to guess, and even better, not all of the old options are there! You now have to right-click, then go to the bottom of the menu and click more options or some poo poo and THEN you get the full list of options that always used to be there, except it takes an extra click. gently caress.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Noobles posted:

Speaking of Windows, I’ve had the displeasure of dealing with 11 a few times now.

Remember in 7/10 when you right click a file and it gives you a bunch of common options for things you might want to do with that file? Now in 11 when you right click a file it just shows you pictures so you get to guess, and even better, not all of the old options are there! You now have to right-click, then go to the bottom of the menu and click more options or some poo poo and THEN you get the full list of options that always used to be there, except it takes an extra click. gently caress.

Windows 11 es muy mal.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Noobles posted:

This is how the war starts. You know what to do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The worst part of Windows 11 to me (so far) is the automatic file grouping.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Noobles posted:

Remember in 7/10 when you right click a file and it gives you a bunch of common options for things you might want to do with that file? Now in 11 when you right click a file

it just shows you pictures so you get to guess,

and even better, not all of the old options are there! You now have to right-click, then go to the bottom of the menu and click more options or some poo poo and THEN you get the full list of options that always used to be there, except it takes an extra click. gently caress.

lol at emojis and other non letter poo poo literally making communication going backwards. also some UI/UX eningeers reading about Skeuomorphs and being like "well I guess I'll just invent a new more 'accurate' symbol! *makes a new icon that no one understands*"

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Also not sure if others are dealing with this or if it’s just a me thing, but after updating my phone to iOS 16.6 any time I use it it’ll seem to vibrate randomly like there’s a notification, but doesn’t actually show a notification for anything.

Either my phone is notifying me that nothing is happening, or somewhere in some random app I’ve missed like 200 notifications recently.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Plan R posted:

If you just need a desktop application, EssentialPIM might still be free and good. Heck, see if you can find an old version of Palm Desktop.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Noobles posted:

Also not sure if others are dealing with this or if it’s just a me thing, but after updating my phone to iOS 16.6 any time I use it it’ll seem to vibrate randomly like there’s a notification, but doesn’t actually show a notification for anything.

Either my phone is notifying me that nothing is happening, or somewhere in some random app I’ve missed like 200 notifications recently.

Do you have Pokemon Go installed? I am experiencing this too and the internet told me it was from Go

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

steinrokkan posted:

I remember reading around the time I bought my W10 computer that Microsoft assured W10 would be the last Windows os, with indefinite support via updates, lol

Yeah. And win10 is mostly good! I like it more than 7 or xp at this point

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

exmachina posted:

Hold on till 12!

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

exmachina posted:

Win 11 is basically "I have a monitor that is not a touchscreen but it doesn't work and it's still filthy."

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

humpthewind posted:

Do you have Pokemon Go installed? I am experiencing this too and the internet told me it was from Go

I do actually. Thanks for the info, I’ll look into it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

naem posted:

and no quality waterproof headphones with an actual headband exist that I could jog with those don’t exist anymore

I’ve been using (a previous model of) these for 3 years now and they’ve been holding up pretty great, so long as you’re fine with bone conduction.

https://uk.shokz.com/products/openrun

However i have no idea whether anyone outside the UK is going to be able to click through that link, which is a thing that got really lovely in the last few years.

Also rickrolls just straight up don’t work anymore now that the victim has to fill out a cookie consent form and watch 30 seconds of ads first.