Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

How precise are these cardboard drones? Because these planes aren't even fully covered, so unless the camera caught this plane mid-dressing, this poo poo still isn't going to be effective in the least.

They have a huge explosion radius and they're absolutely stuffed full of ball bearings too. Though with these tires thrown in, all you'd have to do is attach a container of gasoline or add some thermite to the explosive mix, and things suddenly get even worse because now there's burning tires to contend with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Man posted:

So this has gotta be another example of Russia just doing anything in response to a disaster in order to show the top brass that they’re doing something in response, never mind how ludicrous or worthless it actually is…right?

*insert Padme/Anakin meme*

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1698302027552436366
From Kyiv in 3 days to plastering your bombers with loving tires to save them from cardboard drones. :dumb:

How do they imagine this will work? Will it confuse drone guidance? Will the bomb bounce off the tires? Will they set tires on fire and the black toxic smoke will protect the plane?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Sedgr posted:

Somewhere in Russia a mid level shithead is screaming into his phone "NO NO I said I was TIRED of the loving drones! TIRED of the aircraft being destroyed. TIRED of being blamed. Im going to be RETIRED by the FSB if you don't loving fix this! Is this their plan for the fall? Are they going to do this All Season? I'm not getting through here. I'm getting no traction. gently caress gently caress gently caress!"

Project "I'm Rubber You're Glue" seems like it was doomed to fall flat. Maybe it'll cause some sort of blowout in the command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIDSOwInKfc

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I wonder how many tires that aluminum construction can hold before it begins to warp.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

zone posted:

They have a huge explosion radius and they're absolutely stuffed full of ball bearings too. Though with these tires thrown in, all you'd have to do is attach a container of gasoline or add some thermite to the explosive mix, and things suddenly get even worse because now there's burning tires to contend with.
We've all described the Russian Air Force as a tire fire before but lmao if the metaphor turns into reality.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

rowkey bilbao posted:

Lol that the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations is a thing. I'm not sure there's equivalents in the west.

FEMA?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

known fire prevention technique necklacing

If UA is using simple contact detonators that need to impact a hard surface, this might actually work.

If they have any other way to trigger the explosives, this will of course make things substantially worse. Also, even if they were using simple contact detonators for the first batch, now they know that their target is covered in tires and can change what they are doing, thus rendering this insanity worthless.

ChickenHeart posted:

I wonder how many tires that aluminum construction can hold before it begins to warp.

The wings of an aircraft need to carry the weight of the plane, times something if you need it to be able to maneuver. It'll be fine.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

zone posted:

From Kyiv in 3 days to plastering your bombers with loving tires to save them from cardboard drones. :dumb:
Special Michelin Operation.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Because having a burning pile of tires on top of the plane after the drone strike is so good for the airframe.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 3, 2023

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

rowkey bilbao posted:

Lol that the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations is a thing. I'm not sure there's equivalents in the west.

Shoygu used to be minister for emergency situations before MoD. They are firefighters, helicopter rescuers and such The least hated ministry in whole russia. For doing something useful most of the time

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Those planes have clearly been retired from active duty

:dadjoke:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rowkey bilbao posted:

FEMA. Not at ministry level at least any more, but definitely a thing.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tuna-Fish posted:

If UA is using simple contact detonators that need to impact a hard surface, this might actually work.

If they have any other way to trigger the explosives, this will of course make things substantially worse. Also, even if they were using simple contact detonators for the first batch, now they know that their target is covered in tires and can change what they are doing, thus rendering this insanity worthless.

The wings of an aircraft need to carry the weight of the plane, times something if you need it to be able to maneuver. It'll be fine.

They can already be remote detonated, you could see it in the demonstration video they posted recently.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I spoke to a woman from far east russia. Who worked for a local governor. And he somehow turned things around that she owed him for some sort of fuckup. She gave him her car and somehow did not feel it unfair or injust.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

A deep dive regarding those tires protecting strategic bombers. Close analysis of the images of the tires covering a TU-95 suggest that Moscow's military is facing a major shortage of tires. There are cracks in the sidewall consistent with age degradation along with rubber peeling debris at the bottom in the tire fold. Now look closer, right, at the tire manufacturing marks. "MADE IN USSR" in English script!! The USSR officially ended on December 25, 1991. We, in 2023, are looking at 30 year old tires protecting a TU-95! The sun rot on the tire & USSR markings strongly suggests the Russians are suffering a serious tire shortage.

You don't protect an important air frame with something that ancient and useless unless you are desperate. Even if you are Russian.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

zone posted:

You gotta use rubber for protection, right?

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Now they also have to put tires on all the fake planes they painted on the ground .

zone
Dec 6, 2016

rowkey bilbao posted:

Now they also have to put tires on all the fake planes they painted on the ground .

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

fug :DDDD

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1698327523640164693#m
Presented without comment.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Pookah posted:

Those planes have clearly been retired from active duty

:dadjoke:

Boo this poster, booooo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Strange how pro Russia NATO member Hungary is.

And how so many American right wingers love Hungary.

So odd!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The have rubber on, for protection.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Where is that tire expert guy from early in the war when you need him?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

redshirt posted:

Strange how pro Russia NATO member Hungary is.

And how so many American right wingers love Hungary.

So odd!

So many US Republicans go there too, how very very strange.

Perhaps there is a money trail that we can follow!

Putin is a real piece of the dookie

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

zone posted:

I'm made of rubber and you're glue! Whatever bombs you throw bounce off me and apparently gently caress up the fighter plane parked immediately next to me!

:psyduck:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cardboard drones
bounce off tire
covered bombers

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

zone posted:

Wait. Is that a gay fighter jet?

They're learning, we're hosed

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

zone posted:

Comedy option: The tires form a good enough seal against the wings that they fill with rainwater, and the extra weight breaks the wings.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1698307643427766456#m

quote:

⚡️Yesterday evening in the village of Kinski Rozdory, Polohy District, Zaporizhzhia region, there were explosions in one of the cafes where russian officers were located. Melitopol Mayor Ivan Fedorov announced this.

"The local owner set up a double business in the former kindergarten: he turned the main hall into a restaurant and fed the enemy, and gave the warehouse to the occupiers to store ammunition.

It detonated for more than an hour and a half. The flames spread to the two cars (Kamaz) of the occupiers and the equipment of the collaborators," Fedorov said.
Idiots. Long may they continue such stupidity.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

zone posted:

I'm going to point out that the planes aren't parked along the taxi lines, but then again the bomber has loving cope tires on its wings.

Edit: Apparently at that particular airbase on that section of the tarmac they just don't park along the taxi lines for some reason. They park along the taxi lines in other sections.

DiomedesGodshill fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 3, 2023

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

zone posted:

No joke, I saw a post on telegram only two months ago where they were complaining about exactly that. The same cope post had attached instruction on how to make ERA bricks at home and an appeal to all "patriots" to get to work at once. Then one month later Murz almost got arrested for complaining that, again, they still hadn't enough ERA bricks to attach to tanks. He was subjected to an interrogation by some major from a nearby military base, he just made fun of him and left.

Sure, encouraging random Russians to make homemade explosives can't possibly go wrong...

On the subject of the tyres, it's not necessarily the worst idea in theory if the drones in question are like the one in that demo video they released which basically just vomits a shower of high-speed metal fragments at the target from above; put enough rubber between that and the target and it might slow them down enough to reduce the damage. The way they have the tyres arranged leaves a lot of gaps for shrapnel to still turn the plane into Swiss cheese, though, and if something does start burning, then you've just got a giant tyre fire on top of everything else, so...

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

dennyk posted:

On the subject of the tyres, it's not necessarily the worst idea in theory if the drones in question are like the one in that demo video they released which basically just vomits a shower of high-speed metal fragments at the target from above; put enough rubber between that and the target and it might slow them down enough to reduce the damage. The way they have the tyres arranged leaves a lot of gaps for shrapnel to still turn the plane into Swiss cheese, though, and if something does start burning, then you've just got a giant tyre fire on top of everything else, so...

The more I think about the tire thing the more I laugh. Not only are there gaps, but that's a lot of extra time consuming hard labor to put the (potentially water filled) tires on and off between each flight. I'm not a military person but I would think the last thing you'd want to do is annoy the ground/maintenance crews. Also more lols if Russia is requiring the pilots to do the maintenance. What a poo poo Putin Putin is a piece of poo poo show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DiomedesGodshill posted:

The more I think about the tire thing the more I laugh. Not only are there gaps, but that's a lot of extra time consuming hard labor to put the (potentially water filled) tires on and off between each flight. I'm not a military person but I would think the last thing you'd want to do is annoy the ground/maintenance crews. Also more lols if Russia is requiring the pilots to do the maintenance. What a poo poo Putin Putin is a piece of poo poo show.

I wonder if the tires leave any rubber residue, and reduce performance of the plane.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

redshirt posted:

I wonder if the tires leave any rubber residue, and reduce performance of the plane.

The tires probably don't leave any residue, but you probably don't want people walking on or kicking/dropping/throwing tires into place on the ailerons and trim tabs. I'm really hoping someone on SA with airplane maintenance experience can chime in here.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
They'll move those tires a couple times and then they'll stop bothering. One day one of those planes will take minor damage at takeoff because someone forgot a tire on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Why would you have to waste time taking them off, just put a net at the end of the runway