Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Zihuatanejo posted:

Don’t hate the playa hate the rain

A crate labeled "emergency supplies" is airdropped onto the mud, a desperate festival-goer smashes it open, only to find there is nothing inside but a framed photograph of Scott Hall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm going to Burning Man to save the people

They should only be so lucky

Animal-Mother posted:

A crate labeled "emergency supplies" is airdropped onto the mud, a desperate festival-goer smashes it open, only to find there is nothing inside but a framed photograph of Scott Adams, and the remaining global stock of Dilberitos

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

I've just come across several startling reports that the enormous "Burning Man" effigy has suddenly come to life and is now wreaking havoc across the festival as a sort of Godzilla-esque response to man's hubris.

Jet Jaguar is reportedly at the festival but has been recently incapacitated by food poisoning from improperly-cooked desert shrimp.

That's right Heather, it's complete pandemonium now as zombies and robots vie for control of the main mud pit.

Now over to Skip with Sports.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

According to every dinosaur exhibit I’ve ever seen, this is exactly how fossils are formed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ralph Hurley posted:

According to every dinosaur exhibit I’ve ever seen, this is exactly how fossils are formed.

We can drill the area for oil in like 50 years.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

ChickenHeart posted:

I've just come across several startling reports that the enormous "Burning Man" effigy has suddenly come to life and is now wreaking havoc across the festival as a sort of Godzilla-esque response to man's hubris.

Jet Jaguar is reportedly at the festival but has been recently incapacitated by food poisoning from improperly-cooked desert shrimp.

There are Twitter, I mean X feeds saying that Rodan has arrived and is eating burners, choosing to spit out the ones with dreadlocks because they get stuck in his teeth

Hedorah the Smog Monster is upending the portapotties like CrackerJack boxes and eating whatever is inside, be it sewage, burners, or mud

The Gargantuas have taken separate paths, the Brown Gargantua is allegedly participating in rave parties while the Green Gargantua is consuming whatever Hedorah tosses over his shoulder, be it sewage, burners, or mud

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Do you guys think the playa dust that causes chemical burns might be a problem for all the people dancing around naked in the mud?

Burningman.org posted:

PLAYA FOOT is a malady unique to the Black Rock Desert caused by the alkali dust that makes up the desert. It is, in essence, a chemical burn. The most common cause of playa foot is exposure of your feet to the desert floor by not wearing socks and closed shoes. While this malady is not serious, it is uncomfortable.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shageletic posted:

You had to pay several hundred dollars to attend it. And seems like a lot of rich ppl do attend it

gently caress that, I can just go outside and run the hose a bit and roll around in the mud and only be out like a buck.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

ChickenHeart posted:

He mother never really love him

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just discovered one of my friends is at Burning Man right now. I knew she attended regional burns around here, but this year she saved up to fly out to Burning Man and has been there all week. She's not rich and has a pretty average job; I'd imagine this is most of her vacation days and entertainment budget for the year. She posted last night about her situation.

She said the main issue is that everything is soaking wet, and there's no way to dry off clothes or shoes. The ground is very clay-heavy and turns into an impassable sludge with standing water on top. She's staying with some friends who rented a camping trailer, so they have shelter and plenty of food and water. People are apparently being good about sharing, at least in the area she's at.

She's a very nice and genuine person, if a little naive, so I hope she gets out of there without too much trouble.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Kro-Bar posted:

PLAYA COCK is a malady unique to the Black Rock Desert caused by the alkali dust that makes up the desert. It is, in essence, a chemical burn. The most common cause of playa cock is exposure of your genitals to the desert floor by not wearing underwear. While this malady is not serious, it is uncomfortable.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Krataar posted:

The cheapest ticket I saw if you get it was something like $600. Then lets add up a week of food and water, desert wear, camping supplies, travel. The low end can easily be $2k if youre being cautious. I am sure a riskier trip is less but thats pretty risky when on a good year you can die of exposure in a few hours and people will just assume youre tripping.

Its expensive to trip balls all weekend comfortably in the middle of the desert at the end of summer, but its not exactly perilous :rolleyes:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/truthplug305/status/1698352775145361789

And this was just before the storm:

https://twitter.com/Ivankalema01/status/1698373695121539395

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I’m at a loss right now between “it’s evil to celebrate rich idiots turning into loose atoms under the sea”, “somber day for the country as J6’ers receive brutal consequences”, and “wow don’t celebrate these truly stupid people who believe they are Really Doing Something by going to do drugs and pretend to be poor while loving up the desert”.

Maybe y’all changed, maybe I changed, but gently caress em.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I have a genuinely poor friend stuck out there :(

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I love this place and want to remind you, dear reader, that for every crypto bro tech celebrity that's eating poo poo right now, there are tons of non-detestable people who are also stuck and in what may be a rather tenuous spot of danger.

I like being cynical about this but there's a group who built a giant freezer on wheels to hand out ice cream, there's landscapers who dabble in DJing, cat shelter owners, non-profit org teachers, and at least one 60+ year old blacksmith that I know personally. A melting pot.

At face value, a legendary party in the desert kinda sells itself and it's not surprising that a lot of different kinds of people show up. I wanna poke fun at everyone, equally, not just tech bros. The vibe of hate in this thread is kinda greasy.

Edit: glad I'm not alone here. it could turn tragic pretty quickly out there and I've been "doing the worrying thing" all morning. to be fair it seems like it's fine-ish so far and people are staying calm

down1nit fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 3, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Make it Bun Dem

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Yeah I know a few regular-rear end people who are out there through my girlfriend. They should all be good, they're mountain people and seasoned festival-goers. Hope they can get out in a reasonable time frame, though.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
just follow dirty d's d lead

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

EthicalNonMonogamy.png

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Let us ask ourselves: Would modern day goons direct this much hate towards a Juggalo gathering or furry convention?

No, and the latter is a great shame.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

Let us ask ourselves: Would modern day goons direct this much hate towards a Juggalo gathering or furry convention?

No, and the latter is a great shame.

I'd trust the Juggalos to save themselves eventually.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Juggalos would embrace the mud and party harder.

The Gathering is already what Burning Man pretends to be.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Three Olives posted:

OK, I'm full of poo poo, it is unreasonable to jump to the conclusion that you can not force 10s of thousands of people to live in excrement filled mud for an unknown period of time without taking steps to assume a public health emergency when people inevitably get sick from living in hot mud full of human poo poo.

calling burners people is stretching it

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Juggalos would build a vehicle out of 2 liter Faygo bottles and whoop whoop their way to safety.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

down1nit posted:

I love this place and want to remind you, dear reader, that for every crypto bro tech celebrity that's eating poo poo right now, there are tons of non-detestable people who are also stuck and in what may be a rather tenuous spot of danger.

I like being cynical about this but there's a group who built a giant freezer on wheels to hand out ice cream, there's landscapers who dabble in DJing, cat shelter owners, non-profit org teachers, and at least one 60+ year old blacksmith that I know personally. A melting pot.

At face value, a legendary party in the desert kinda sells itself and it's not surprising that a lot of different kinds of people show up. I wanna poke fun at everyone, equally, not just tech bros. The vibe of hate in this thread is kinda greasy.

Edit: glad I'm not alone here. it could turn tragic pretty quickly out there and I've been "doing the worrying thing" all morning. to be fair it seems like it's fine-ish so far and people are staying calm

Relevant Tangent posted:

calling burners people is stretching it

Lol

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Any dipshit moron who didn't even look at a weather forecast before driving out into the middle of a loving desert to attend something as publicly stupid as burning man gets no sympathy from me when the incredibly foreseeable consequences happen

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Can't believe they're already rebooting Sucession

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

Any dipshit moron who didn't even look at a weather forecast before driving out into the middle of a loving desert to attend something as publicly stupid as burning man gets no sympathy from me when the incredibly foreseeable consequences happen

It's a desert duh, going to be hot and sunny the whole time! :v:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fast hardening styrofoam type plates, creating a stable bridge over the main mud abyss....

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
Why don't they simply fashion the clay into a hard ceramic and drive out of there

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Butterwagon posted:

Why don't they simply fashion the clay into a hard ceramic and drive out of there

turning the playa into a field of ceramic tire knives would definitely be on-brand for humanity

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

So will the burners spit on the national guardsmen who have to rescue/supply them or pretend they like government for a few hours?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

For many burning man attendees, this 1 inch of rain and the resulting mud is the most difficult thing they have ever had to endure in their lives. Imagine the horror of having to walk out through the mud with only 70% cell coverage.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 3, 2023

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

MrQwerty posted:

turning the playa into a field of ceramic tire knives would definitely be on-brand for humanity

What's another square kilometer of the desert turned to glass anyway after the 60s

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BlackIronHeart posted:

Juggalos would build a vehicle out of 2 liter Faygo bottles and whoop whoop their way to get more meth

:lmao: there's probably a bunch of tech bros who are running out of weed and vape juice for the first time ever

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

“Hey boss, I think I’m a bit traumatized from my desert orgy party going south. Gonna need about a month of bereavement on top of the two weeks PTO you just gave me.”

“Np”

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Imagine being there and having diarrhea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

quote:

This whole experience is stupid and dumb, because I've never been outside and have no friends and no hobbies but I would have done this whole thing differently

:goonsay:

---

That's what y'all sound like, except the obvious few.