Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

How can eating food with utensils ever be bad etiquette?
Can it make you look like a weirdo? Will you get looks, sure.

Like you can eat pizza or hotdogs with a fork and knife all you want.
Finger food is meant to be sans etiquette.

E: Hotdog snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Different story. This is the one with the dying mom and divorced dad. It doesn’t sound like the dad has been in close contact or anything, but checking with the kid’s surviving biological parent seems like such an obvious first step that any mention of that missing from the situation raises an eyebrow.

Oh whoops, at least it was about an actual story.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Elviscat posted:

AITA: I used a fork and knife to eat fried chicken, whereas the person hosting the dinner party used their hands to eat, now they're mad at me for my "horrid etiquette"

I'd love some low-stakes oldschool etiquette AITAs.

Lol, but also thank you mentioning etiquette. Search results got me right to party sub guy, which is always one of my favorite re-reads :buddy:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for Limiting Brewery Hours to Prevent Child Incidents, Resulting in Business Loss?

quote:

Hey, Reddit, I’m seeking some perspective on a situation between my husband and me regarding our brewery and food truck business. We serve beer and wine with a few tables inside but have a large outside area for kids to run around in and dogs to play. Our food truck sets out there and stays busy. My husband handles the backend of business while I handle the front facing customer side.

Personally, we are both child free dog lovers. We both like kids, but we do not want our own. My husband and I opened the business a few years ago and it became quite popular in our community. However, we recently faced a situation where a dog bit a child on our premises. Understandably, this caused concern among parents, and we decided to limit the hours during which children are allowed on our property to prevent further incidents. This made a lot of sense to us because often patrons would comment about children running wild even at 7:00 PM.

Since implementing this rule, we’ve noticed a significant drop in business. Many parents have stopped coming, and this has led to a loss of revenue and staff to a degree we didn’t expect. My husband believes we should reverse the decision to attract families back, while I think we should stand firm and explore different avenues to recover our business.

My concerns are if we reverse our decision, we may risk facing similar incidents in the future, which could lead to legal trouble and damage our reputation and we may push our current customers away. However, continuing on this downward trajectory might force us to operate with a skeleton crew, making it even harder to recover or simply not making it as a business at all which scares us.

This is difficult because it’s both my job and my relationship. My husband is getting upset and saying we made a bad decision and we should fix it however I feel he is interfering on my side of the business and should respect my decision. I have told him it's starting to seem sexist as if “he knows best.”

So, Reddit, AITA for wanting to stand firm on our child-hour restriction?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for Limiting Brewery Hours to Prevent Child Incidents, Resulting in Business Loss?

Restrict the dogs, not the kids. An enclosed off-leash area would be perfect. Also, they need to talk to their insurance agent and do whatever they suggest.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
evergreen story in honor of dinner party chat

I (28f) planned a wine and cheese mixer for almost a month. My husband (28m) of 5 years showed up with 3 36 packs of Budweiser and turned it into a frat party. I know this may sound silly but I'm crushed. What do I do?

quote:

So I realize this may sound silly and I'm sorry in advance if it does, I promise I'm not snooty or holier than thou in my day to day life. It's just that I've always wanted to host a "sophisticated" party with great wine and food and decent conversation. I'm not opposed to bar nights and keg parties, it's just that I wanted to do something different on this particular night (last Saturday).

I had literally been planning this party for over a month, I ordered special cheeses directly from Europe, I sent out "taste questionnaires" to all my guests to best accommodate their wine and food preferences. I cleaned for days, I even replaced our ratty old couch with a new sectional from Crate and Barrel and matched some really cool thrift store hauls to make it sort of "warehouse chic." I hand made all the invitations and event matched the stamps to better fit the motif of the design.

Saturday night came around and everyone was having a great time, people were dressed to the nines and I was on cloud nine with what a great time everyone was having. We had intelligent and polite conversation and everyone was getting along great. I had at max 20 total guests (some left early and some arrived late).

After maybe 2 hours I noticed my husband was not present, no big deal I thought since he said he'd wanted to smoke some good cigars so I figured that's where he was. Maybe 10 minutes later I hear him and his best friend bust through the front door saying really loud "Now we got a party folks!!!" as he and his friends were carrying huge boxes of Budweiser.

Well slowly but surely my sophisticated wine party turned into a beer bust, the guys took their ties and coats off, the girls got more loose and after an hour of beer drinking my new couches were pushed to the wall and everyone was dancing and grinding and my nice calm background music was changed to hip hop.

I basically went in my room and cried. I didn't tell anyone so no one checked on me, not my friends, not my husband, no one. They were all having "too good" of a time. To make it worse, the next day nearly everyone sent me texts or emails saying what a great time they had and they didn't expect to "party until 3am." So not only did it not go my way, no even appreciates "my part" of the party.

I'm crushed. By my husband mostly since he knew how important this was to me, but also by my friends who so quickly went along with my husband and didn't even seem to miss me at the party.

What do I do here? I feel betrayed by just about everyone.

tl;dr: Husband ruined my "sophisticated" party by showing up in the middle of it with beer and basically turned it into a frat party.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

^^^ lol I forgot about this one, the only way I could see myself getting dressed up and going to a "sophisticated" wine & cheese tasting is if I knew ahead of time it'd devolve into this

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But the article pretty much agrees with what Miss Manners says. People are absolutely having friends over for dinner, but they're not "dinner parties" as my or Miss Manners's generation would interpret them. Nobody is writing Miss Manners about how to set up a seating plan for eight people, or what order you use the forks in, not even for fun.

(Just to be clear, I say good riddance. I threw a dinner party once in my life, and that was more than enough.)

lol yeah, all of the millennial "dinner parties" I've been to, including Friendsgivings, have basically just been potlucks w/ booze, weed, and videogames. It rules

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 3, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Because rules of etiquette are stupid, arbitrary, and different depending on who you ask.

The US Navy manual on dinner etiquette specifies that you always eat in the manner of the senior ranking member at the table, so you wait for them to eat their hotdog or whatever, and then you follow suit.

Silverware is easy, you just go inside to outside as the dishes are presented to you.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Elviscat posted:

Because rules of etiquette are stupid, arbitrary, and different depending on who you ask.

The US Navy manual on dinner etiquette specifies that you always eat in the manner of the senior ranking member at the table, so you wait for them to eat their hotdog or whatever, and then you follow suit.

Silverware is easy, you just go inside to outside as the dishes are presented to you.

it's outside to in...

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

the holy poopacy posted:

I (28f) planned a wine and cheese mixer for almost a month. My husband (28m) of 5 years showed up with 3 36 packs of Budweiser and turned it into a frat party. I know this may sound silly but I'm crushed. What do I do?

Not often you get to hear the other side of the 90s beer ad.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Elviscat posted:

Lol, I should've gone into the navy and really pushed to go far. Winding down my career just going ham on a hot dog, shoveling mashed potatoes into my mouth, etc, at every dinner and nobody can say a thing because I outrank everyone :911:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I don't think that even my parents, who are only a bit younger than Miss Manners, had those sorts of dinner parties. So yeah, they're super dead; and probably have been for quite some time.

I admire the people who keep trying though. Not something I want to do, but I admire the spirit. Maybe they'll come back someday.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
White tie and black tie dinners are still a thing, just not in the social circles of people that post on Something Awful

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Foo Diddley posted:

it's outside to in...

Like I said, silverware's easy, outside to in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Elviscat posted:

so you wait for them to eat their hotdog or whatever, and then you follow suit.

Enlisted people, if your commanding officer doesn’t eat his hot dog like this

Then mutiny

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Tile is waterproof, but grout is porous af and second only to agar-filled petri dishes at growing vile, disgusting poo poo.

Oh poo poo, grab your r/AITA bingo cards, I've got: nasty living conditions, "fetish or dipshit", bf can't empathy, NextDoor drama, and a free "ESH" square. What did I miss?

Speaking of, one of the reddit update subreddits made an Open Relationships bingo card with 3-4 different cards

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

I always felt bad for this one, because it seemed like people were having a good time before the frat party. Maybe they were just humoring her, but still. She put a lot of effort into this and her husband decided nah.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

I always felt bad for this one, because it seemed like people were having a good time before the frat party. Maybe they were just humoring her, but still. She put a lot of effort into this and her husband decided nah.

I dunno, while it certainly sucks to have your plans dashed like that, the torrent of positive responses makes it seem like everybody else had a way better time than expected. Maybe I'm out-of-touch, but back in my day parties were more about the guests' experience than the host's. Anyway, these people both suck and they're perfect for each other.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

That just makes it sound like a "best of both worlds" situation, though, so I have a hard time getting all that broken up about it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Different story. This is the one with the dying mom and divorced dad. It doesn’t sound like the dad has been in close contact or anything, but checking with the kid’s surviving biological parent seems like such an obvious first step that any mention of that missing from the situation raises an eyebrow.

Somewhere buried in a comment OP says that the father hosed off to another country and dropped all contact.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Breweries were literally the first places my wife and I went after we had kids because they were always super chill and you could just hang and have a few beers while the kids were passed out in their car seat. Like this seems like such a dumb decision

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cerekk posted:

White tie and black tie dinners are still a thing, just not in the social circles of people that post on Something Awful
But middle-class people used to have plain old dinner parties, no white or black ties, routinely. You owned a formal dinner table big enough to seat 6, 8 or more with leaves. You had a dining room that was separate from the kitchen. You had the formal china. You had the formal silver. (You'd been given both of these as wedding presents.) You put down a tablecloth. There were cocktails beforehand, the hostess (almost always) had cooked something fancy, and there was assigned seating.

This is absolutely a class thing, but the class that has dinner parties has skated steadily upward. Like, when my mom was given her wedding silver, china, and crystal (the bride picked that out, and the groom wasn't consulted) in 1957, she was the daughter of a single mother* who worked at the telephone company. Mom was an elementary school teacher, and her friends were at about that level of prosperity.

Middle-class newlyweds in 2023 wouldn't have any interest in throwing that party. People's wedding registries are appliances, not silver sets or china.

* Gramma was divorced and later widowed; she didn't start out as a single mother.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 3, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
when us lower-class folks have a "dinner party" we call it a "barbecue"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

But the thing is, my parents had barbecues, too. We had them at the local park on the picnic tables, but very much the same people were invited as to the dinner parties.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm sure they were having a great time debating the latest UN meeting minutes until the husband crashed through the wall with beer like the kool aid man.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

if you don't want your parties to be awesome maybe don't have a rad husband

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But middle-class people used to have plain old dinner parties, no white or black ties, routinely. You owned a formal dinner table big enough to seat 6, 8 or more with leaves. You had a dining room that was separate from the kitchen. You had the formal china. You had the formal silver. (You'd been given both of these as wedding presents.) You put down a tablecloth. There were cocktails beforehand, the hostess (almost always) had cooked something fancy, and there was assigned seating.

This is absolutely a class thing, but the class that has dinner parties has skated steadily upward. Like, when my mom was given her wedding silver, china, and crystal (the bride picked that out, and the groom wasn't consulted) in 1957, she was the daughter of a single mother* who worked at the telephone company. Mom was an elementary school teacher, and her friends were at about that level of prosperity.

Middle-class newlyweds in 2023 wouldn't have any interest in throwing that party. People's wedding registries are appliances, not silver sets or china.

* Gramma was divorced and later widowed; she didn't start out as a single mother.

I don't disagree with any of this, but middle class people throwing fancy dinner parties were always just cosplaying as people of higher wealth and status. That stuff was all modeled after aristocratic events. People don't do that anymore because the way people pretend they're richer than they are in the 21st century is going into debt to buy consumer goods.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cerekk posted:

I don't disagree with any of this, but middle class people throwing fancy dinner parties were always just cosplaying as people of higher wealth and status. That stuff was all modeled after aristocratic events. People don't do that anymore because the way people pretend they're richer than they are in the 21st century is going into debt to buy consumer goods.

Unless you are actual royalty, dinners with 8 forks and black ties is all just cosplaying as something you are not. Meanwhile, actual royalty in the 21st century parties at the discotek.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Does OP say anywhere why the father can’t take the kid in? He’s divorced and in another country, not dead, but there’s no indication that anyone even contacted him to ask.

The kid's vibes, maybe?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

Breweries were literally the first places my wife and I went after we had kids because they were always super chill and you could just hang and have a few beers while the kids were passed out in their car seat. Like this seems like such a dumb decision
:agreed: One of the couples in our friend group had their first kid a couple years before everybody else and we've met up at breweries most of the times we've gotten together since then. For the kids, there's plenty of open space to run around and a bunch of games and stuff (ping pong, ring toss, cornhole, etc) to keep entertained and it works for the adults too. Just super convenient.

Anyways, for the story, if your business is on so much of a downward trajectory that you're cutting staff to the point that phrases like "skeleton crew" and "simply not making it as a business" are coming up...well, there's your answer. Get a lawyer and figure out what kind of legal CYA signage you need for other people's dogs and kids, then reverse your decision.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not letting my husband sleep in on the weekend?

quote:

First time posting and English is not my first language.

I 27(F) and my husband 24(M) have an agreement that every Saturday he sleeps in and I take fully care of the baby (10 month old) during the morning and on Sundays he takes the baby and I sleep in.

So this Saturday the baby woke up around 7 am, I wake up at the same time, change her and go make the bottle, shortly after I'm feeding her my husband shows up in the living room saying he can't sleep anymore. I understood, I mean it has happened to me before and it's completely natural.

At night my husband turns to me and said that since he woke up early that day that he would be sleeping in the next day (Sunday), I said no since that is not our agreement and that it's not my fault he didn't sleep in. He said that it's not fair because he works and I don't.

To give a little more context I'm a SAHM and he works full time during the week. The thing is I do most of the household chores (which I don't mind btw) and his only responsibility is taking out the trash and unload the dishwasher. I do everything else + take care of the baby, he usually just helps me with baths and watches/plays with her while I make dinner. We're fine with how things are, we're a happy couple and family but I don't think it's okay for him to throw around that he works and I don't when it was a joint decision that I would stay home with the baby until she turns 1.

He ended up waking early and letting me sleep in today but when I woke up he let me know that he was really tired and that I wasn't nice to him and should've let him sleep in instead.

AITA for not letting my husband sleep in?

Extra info: we usually wake up at the same time during the week since I pack his bag for work, so I don't sleep more than him during the week and when my baby naps I do chores that I can't do when she's awake.

Update:

My husband has apologized for the way he spoke and that he could have phrased it better. All is good and thank you all for the comments.

A lot of you are shocked I pack his lunch bag for work 🤣 I get it! I have been doing it since we got married because I packed both our bags at the same time. I do it out of habit and honestly as a nice gesture for him, he appreciates it and I know he does.

Bolding mine.

AITA for leaving my own wedding early?

quote:

So I (30m) and my husband (34m) just got married a week ago. We were having a good wedding until the speeches happened. Now i thought it was common sense to not do this, but during the best man's speech he decided to propose to his girlfriend. She said yes and all hell broke loose.

From that point on, no one paid attention to me or my husband nor paid attention to the event times. People starting eating early, the speeches were cut short after he proposed, on top of that he got the dj to play him and his girlfriend "their song". Which incited a whole bunch of couples to do the same. For about 3 hours it was just couples running to the dj to play "their song" and hogging the dance floor. When me and my husband finally got a chance to dance people were to exhausted and didn't pay attention, they instead went to eat.

After several hours of this, i told my husband I didn't really want to be here anymore, and he agreed. We ended up leaving, the only person we said goodbye to was our parents. Nobody even noticed we had left.

Now here's the problem. 3 days after the wedding a cousin of mine had asked me when did i leave my wedding, as she never got to say goodbye. I told her we left early because nobody was paying attention nor cared enough to. She said ok and hanged up. Now we've been getting calls from all our relatives telling us we're immature and need to lighten up. That we should be happy our wedding made people this romantic.

So AITA?

I wonder which is the worse job at a wedding, the dj or photographer. Seems a lot of this could be stopped if the former was warned about poo poo like this. Reddit however, already knew about this:

quote:

I used to photograph weddings before I discovered sanity. I’ve had more than one DJ tell me they will cater to the crowd over the bride and groom. In their eyes bride and film have already paid, and probably won’t have another reason to hire a DJ again for a while; if ever. The people in the crowd, are potential new customers; it’s far more likely a guest will need a DJ (engaged couples, dating couples, parents of couples) in the very near future.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wonder which is the worse job at a wedding, the dj or photographer. Seems a lot of this could be stopped if the former was warned about poo poo like this. Reddit however, already knew about this:

:capitalism:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

sounds like that's a reason why you have a contract to only pay half up front with a rider to try and Trump yourself out of paying the other half in case of crap like that

doubt it'd ever hold up in court but it might make the DJ think twice about ignoring you on the job

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
You already tip the DJ after services rendered, which you would think would be sufficient motivation.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, I've been to a fair number of weddings and I broadly remember cake pushing being a thing, but usually just a gentle boop with a small piece, not a full-on Three Stooges gag.

Once again, like with all "pranks", done well, in the right spirit, to an appropriate degree, and with the consent of all parties involved, smearing a little bit of cake/clumsily hand feeding ones spouse a bit of the wedding cake can be a cute whimsical thing that everybody enjoys.

The bastards slamming their wifes delicately made up face into a cake and then mean spiritedly laughing at the humiliated woman who specifically asked for this specific thing to not happen? gently caress them, and all they stand for.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for leaving my own wedding early?

quote:

From that point on, no one paid attention to me or my husband nor paid attention to the event times. People starting eating early,
So, did food get served early, or are you mad that you didn’t get to make a weird-rear end power play and force everyone to wait until their food was cold to start eating?
:thunk:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Once again, like with all "pranks", done well, in the right spirit, to an appropriate degree, and with the consent of all parties involved, smearing a little bit of cake/clumsily hand feeding ones spouse a bit of the wedding cake can be a cute whimsical thing that everybody enjoys.

The bastards slamming their wifes delicately made up face into a cake and then mean spiritedly laughing at the humiliated woman who specifically asked for this specific thing to not happen? gently caress them, and all they stand for.

See this thread and 'pranks' ending up excuses to assault and abuse people.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cerekk posted:

In total agreement. See also "keeping up with the Joneses"; it's just that the objects of desire have shifted. As I've mentioned in the various homeowner threads, I remember when wall-to-wall carpets, a two-car garage, and a sunken tub were coveted luxuries.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It's really popular here for retiring ranchers to donate their properties to nature conservancy groups when their children aren't interested in taking it over.

They treasure that piece of land and want it kept free from development even after they die. I think it's super cool.

My father-in-law has a ranch himself. None of us kids want to to take it over. He keeps saying they need to hold a family meeting so he can discuss his will and future of his property, but he keeps insisting it has to be in-person which is going to be impossible because he's got 6 kids (7 if you include me) who live in 3 different provinces, one of them lives in a remote area by ferry or seaplane access only, and another one spends 3 months of the year in the US.

I mean, I'd be happy to live there but I'd let the land go completely wild. But I have zero interest in becoming a rancher. I've helped numerous times with tagging and vaccinating calves, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dinner parties also feel like one of those 'traditions' boomers bemoan that they never actually bothered to pass down, their kids' experience of them is usually either being outright excluded or excruciating death marches where they're constantly scolded for breaking rules that the grown ups never bothered to actually explain beforehand.