Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Sibling of TB posted:

At a glance, kind of a wild idea to have dark elves and mushrooms on a sunny island instead in an underdark or something.

Have you seen the rendering distances in Morrowind? Between the fog and the volcanic ash, "sunny" is being awful generous here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also if it's humid enough mushrooms will still grow. Some types of mushrooms don't really mind sunlight all that much. So yeah lots of mushrooms absolutely love tropical temps. Morrowind seems pretty perfect mushroom weather.

I have no idea where dark elfs best grow. :shrug:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1696948918867894547?s=20

Almost there, less than a decade maybe!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
lol, we won't see another fallout game until we're all dead and our skeletons are more decayed than the irradiated skeletons that litter it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

dr_rat posted:

lol, we won't see another fallout game until we're all dead and our skeletons are more decayed than the irradiated skeletons that litter it.

No big deal unless they put Obsidian in charge of it. :colbert:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I hope they never let obsidian touch it. That way FNV heads can make the morally complex decision between buying a new fallout game or griping about why obsidian deserves it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't mind people preferring Obsidian or NV, but the peeps who derive bizarre conspiracy theories or make up nonsensical screeds about how bad Bethesda is in every thread are exhausting.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tankbuster posted:

I hope they never let obsidian touch it. That way FNV heads can make the morally complex decision between buying a new fallout game or griping about why obsidian deserves it.
Those quest objectives are not mutually exclusive, you can do them in either order or combination.

GoldenJoe
Aug 9, 2006
The release date of New Vegas is closer to the release date of Fallout 2 than the present date.

Have a nice day!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GoldenJoe posted:

The release date of New Vegas is closer to the release date of Fallout 2 than the present date.

Have a nice day!

Yeah but which was closer the building of the pyramid to the release date of New Vegas, or New Vegas to now!

If I've learnt anything from "fun history facts" it's you always compare time distances to the building of the pyramids to sound impressive!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Obsidian can make another Fallout spin-off but I don't want them to ever touch a mainline Bethesda game.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

Obsidian can make another Fallout spin-off but I don't want them to ever touch a mainline Bethesda game.

Sorry it's been confirmed they're doing the next Skyrim game. Skyrim 2: Skyrimmer.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 31, 2023

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I trust rope kid, he says no more games on other peoples IP, we can stop the speculations

the only Fallout for the next ten years will be 76

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

GoldenJoe posted:

Have a nice day!

At this point it's more-or-less certain than more time will have rlapsed between skyrim release and TES6 release than between Arena and Skyrim

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
fallout 4 was skyrim with guns tes6 will be starfield with swords

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Flytrap posted:

Gonna learn me the lazer spell and go lazer me a whole bunch of those punk rear end draugr.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Excited for the next Bethesda game:
Pentiment II: Pentimentality

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'm just waiting for the 1.0 release of Starmriel Rebuilt.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FishMcCool posted:

I'm just waiting for the 1.0 release of Starmriel Rebuilt.

With all the pro-gen lands around certain built locations it needs to be Starena first right?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Staggerfall.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dr_rat posted:

With all the pro-gen lands around certain built locations it needs to be Starena first right?
Or Sta-

<:mad:>

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Flytrap posted:

Too late, Starfield is already Starfield with swords ;) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMOPoAq5vIA&t=2462s

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

dr_rat posted:

Sorry it's been confirmed they're doing the next Skyrim game. Skyrim 2: Skyrimmer.

What a guy!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've never played any Bethesda games but I purchased Oblivion (GoTY Edition) on Steam. Are there any must-hav QoL patches/mods I should install, or should I just play thru on stock?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

I've never played any Bethesda games but I purchased Oblivion (GoTY Edition) on Steam. Are there any must-hav QoL patches/mods I should install, or should I just play thru on stock?
I'd play at least the intro dungeon without any mods. Just to get a feel of what the vanilla game is like.
If you want to dive into modding, this can be a good place to start with: https://gloryofcyrodiil.moddinglinked.com/intro.html

Say hi to captain Picard!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

dr_rat posted:

The next Fallout will be alt-history.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hughmoris posted:

There's a whole chunk of unofficial patches and stability fixes you should absolutely use rather than relying on the stock game to not break or bug out. Beyond that, Oblivion has an infamously terrible set of RPG mechanics and so a number of mods exist to hammer it into something more pleasant and playable. Those are technically not mandatory but are strongly recommended. Bare minimum something that sidesteps or adjusts attribute gains...

Raygereio posted:

I'd play at least the intro dungeon without any mods. Just to get a feel of what the vanilla game is like.
If you want to dive into modding, this can be a good place to start with: https://gloryofcyrodiil.moddinglinked.com/intro.html

Oh neat, I didn't realize there was a Viva New Vegas for Oblivion. Definitely refer to this if you're new to Bethesda modding. Mod Organizer 2 is amazing once you get over the slight learning curve.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 3, 2023

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m playing Morrowind for the first time (Vanilla on Xbox :downs:) and man this game doesn’t gently caress around. No hand holding and if you don’t cheese the game it makes you earn everything. Combat is atrocious at first but it feels so good when you level up a bit. I don’t know why they made the standard walking speed so slow.

Why are my summoned creatures so worthless?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Hughmoris posted:

No offense but you might have picked the worst possible place to start with Bethesda games, haha. At least for modern ones (post-Morrowind). (Personally I would have probably recommended Skyrim as the best on-ramp)

Personally I'd say roll stock for a while just to see how you like it. Oblivion is the one with the most problems in its mechanics, but it's still a fun joyride IMHO.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

sponges posted:

I’m playing Morrowind for the first time (Vanilla on Xbox :downs:) and man this game doesn’t gently caress around. No hand holding and if you don’t cheese the game it makes you earn everything. Combat is atrocious at first but it feels so good when you level up a bit. I don’t know why they made the standard walking speed so slow.

ancestor ghosts are a pretty cheap summon (they have common souls iirc) that are immune to non-magical attacks. what you really want to summon are atronachs though, for their giant aoe attacks

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

sponges posted:

Summons are kinda meh until you get Golden Saints, which exist to feed your soul gems and create permanent enchantments. But the summoned weapons from the conjuration school can be pretty great in the early game.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

sponges posted:

its slow because the map is tiny

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Once your athletics is levelled up you move at a good clip. Get to know the fast travel systems too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why walk when you can ride?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

grate deceiver posted:

Summons are kinda meh until you get Golden Saints, which exist to feed your soul gems and create permanent enchantments. But the summoned weapons from the conjuration school can be pretty great in the early game.

They're pretty much always great. If there's an axe that does as much damage as the summoned one I can't think what it is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Once your athletics is levelled up you move at a good clip. Get to know the fast travel systems too.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Transport has a good diagram

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Morrowind owns so far. Can’t wait to put some mods on dis thing

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Guildenstern Mother posted:

They're pretty much always great. If there's an axe that does as much damage as the summoned one I can't think what it is.

My starting Morrowind strat is to murder Ra'Virr, the Balmora general store owner, because he has a sword with a Bound Sword enchantment that far outclasses everything in the early game and isn't attached to a spell (which require mana and have a large fail chance and are basically redundant since spells in Morrowind can just be tied to an enchantment).

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Yeah, damage-wise they're just daedric weapons, which are the best weapons in the game, with the upside that they weigh nothing. The downside is that you can't put any enchantments on them, which becomes important mid- to late-game when you want to start making crazy overpowered magic (and they're time- and mana-limited).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

My starting Morrowind strat is to murder Ra'Virr, the Balmora general store owner, because he has a sword with a Bound Sword enchantment that far outclasses everything in the early game and isn't attached to a spell (which require mana and have a large fail chance and are basically redundant since spells in Morrowind can just be tied to an enchantment).
Wait, he has a sword with the magic power to... make another sword? In a game without dual wielding?