Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

Covering a shiny place with black tires could make it harder to identify the plane with a low-res drone camera.

Unless you've got up to date targeting information from satellites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

goatsestretchgoals posted:

:ironicat:

E: to be 100% loving clear, your star doesnt clear you to be a douchebag. Contribute or shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kazinsal posted:

I'll eat the sixer for this: it's fuckin hilarious in a sad sort of power grubby way that the GIP IK is being a laser beam hardass about casual temporary derails while in equally serious forums like TFR the chief mod and former admin aids and abets derails as long as they aren't making people have psychotic meltdowns about whatever.

Considering McNally is just chilling fiddling about with historical muskets or whatever and that there are no actual rules-violating issues here while Hekk is spraying wildly with an M60 full of sixers the moment that someone makes a crack about anything other than the thread topic, I have to ask: why even loving bother trying to railroad such a general thread in such an angry way while we're all shooting the poo poo, other than because you like the threat of pushing buttons?

Thanks for your feedback. This is me contributing my only post on this topic.

A couple of points here for anyone watching:

1) Burning Man and whatever forums drama folks were discussing in the Ukraine thread are not on topic. What TFR or other parts of SA do with derails isn't relevant to this discussion because we aren't them.

2) Sometimes people in the Goons in Platoons subforum talk like platoon sergeants talk to their troops. Is it a bit? Maybe a little? But you will also notice that everyone is usually pretty hands off on the 6er buttons and other probes since most of the time those are not necessary. (LOL I am just now seeing that both of you have sixers. Whelp, the point still MOSTLY stands).

I don't recognize either of your usernames. It could be my goldfish memory or it could be that your are mostly visiting from other parts of the forums. If you still have heartburn about me talking mean to people, feel free to vent your frustration in an angry PM so we don't clog up this thread with the derail.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 3, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

Covering a shiny place with black tires could make it harder to identify the plane with a low-res drone camera.

Trash bags seem like a better bet all around, though I guess wind would pick them up more easily than tires.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PurpleXVI posted:

The fact that they invited two of the most despised countries in the world at all baffles me. Like did they really think no one was going to care?

What's the reasoning behind banning Iran? I mean, they suck but so do a lot of countries. Is Saudi Arabia there?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The larger issue is that the tires won't help.

At day, they bring significant visual contrast. Under thermal, it's gonna glow like a motherfucker for hours after the airframe has fallen to ambient. They will catch shrapnel, but not enough to prevent much, if any of the damage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

At day, they bring significant visual contrast. Under thermal, it's gonna glow like a motherfucker for hours after the airframe has fallen to ambient. They will catch shrapnel, but not enough to prevent much, if any of the damage.

Also makes launching a huge pain in the rear end, as someone has to remove all those tires...

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Also, a few thousand pounds of weight levering down on those wings can't be helping metal fatigue

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

goatsestretchgoals posted:

:ironicat:

E: to be 100% loving clear, your star doesnt clear you to be a douchebag. Contribute or shut the gently caress up

Holy poo poo lurk more.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Also makes launching a huge pain in the rear end, as someone has to remove all those tires...

Nah, just let the wind take them as the plane takes off. Who gives a poo poo about them being in the runway :jeb:

Seriously though, that screams “DO SOMETHING/ANYTHING” that we’ve probably all experienced to some degree in the US military.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
One of the ongoing effects of Russia’s conflict in Ukraine is that the CSTO did not support Armenia during periods of Azerbaijan’s attacks and blockades.

The Russian pundit response varies between “nuh uh” and “we just don’t care about Armenia and the CATO lmao”

Armenian leadership (also self-servingly) points to reliance on Russia and the CSTO as a strategic failure, in hindsight.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

Seriously though, that screams “DO SOMETHING/ANYTHING” that we’ve probably all experienced to some degree in the US military.

We (All the junior enlisted who don't have keys) once had to spend a month pulling fire watches at the shop because some one (A senior enlisted who has keys) forgot to lock the door one day.

The door being unlocked was reported to the gunny by a junior enlisted who showed up early and noticed the door wasn't even closed all the way.

I'm pretty sure this was gunny's reaction to being told to do something about that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

One of the ongoing effects of Russia’s conflict in Ukraine is that the CSTO did not support Armenia during periods of Azerbaijan’s attacks and blockades.

The Russian pundit response varies between “nuh uh” and “we just don’t care about Armenia and the CATO lmao”

Armenian leadership (also self-servingly) points to reliance on Russia and the CSTO as a strategic failure, in hindsight.
The war also made the West more reluctant to pressure Azerbaijan as it is an alternative oil/gas source, though them trying to starve NK has gotten so blatant it at least resulted in some toothless statements.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

A.o.D. posted:

The Road bridge portion of Kerch has two spans. Maybe that's what they were thinking of? Also there's a rail bridge, but that's all considered part of the same bridge 'system'.

No I was thinking about there being the Kerch bridge and then a bridge northbound within the Russian sphere of control.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SerthVarnee posted:

No I was thinking about there being the Kerch bridge and then a bridge northbound within the Russian sphere of control.

The Chonhar Bridge: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65982817

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Yeah that one. Or apparently what used to be that one.

Thanks for the update!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Kazinsal posted:

I'll eat the sixer for this: it's fuckin hilarious in a sad sort of power grubby way that the GIP IK is being a laser beam hardass about casual temporary derails while in equally serious forums like TFR the chief mod and former admin aids and abets derails as long as they aren't making people have psychotic meltdowns about whatever.

Considering McNally is just chilling fiddling about with historical muskets or whatever and that there are no actual rules-violating issues here while Hekk is spraying wildly with an M60 full of sixers the moment that someone makes a crack about anything other than the thread topic, I have to ask: why even loving bother trying to railroad such a general thread in such an angry way while we're all shooting the poo poo, other than because you like the threat of pushing buttons?

lol what

How the gently caress is this a general thread. The OP of the thread, which I wrote by the way, explicitly says this is the thread for talking about the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

You want to know which GIP rule the derail broke? The one where I explicitly carved out a means for moderation to occur without a violation of an explicit rule. You want to play rules lawyer, you should have at least read the fuckin' rules.

gently caress

nobody had even been hit with a 6er when you posted that and Hekk wasn't the one giving them out what the gently caress

the more I think about your post the worse it gets what is wrong with you

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

SerthVarnee posted:

So if those two bridges close and they decide to go all out on ferrying stuff in by boat, how many boats is that even going to take? And do they still have a harbor at both ends capable of handling that sort of shipping load?

Would be amusing as all hell if they end up having to pull a Luftwaffe resupply attempt.

It'd probably look a lot like when they had to do the same across the Volga.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

psydude posted:

Unless you've got up to date targeting information from satellites.

You don't even need up to date information. Revetments don't move much, nor do oil stains on an open ramp.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CommieGIR posted:

So you're saying they'll get tired? :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

SerthVarnee posted:

Moving right along, there was like two bridges connecting Crimea with Russia right? At least two of any significant size big enough to matter.

I know the Kerch bridge gets regular visits from the entropy fairy, but how is the other bridge doing?

You're probably thinking of the Chonhar bridge which essentially forms a shortcut from north-east Crimea to south-east "mainland" occupied Ukraine. It's less of a vital artery than the Kerch Strait bridge, but is a considerable shortcut over driving the whole way around. The Chonhar Bridge had a hole blasted in it by a Storm Shadow semi-recently and I think some partisans hit the rail connection in the area as well.

mlmp08 posted:

Armania vs Azerbaijan really was the CSTO's chance to show it was ever going to do anything and... it's just been all Russian talk and zero actual effort. As far as I recall, Russian peacekeepers just sat around picking their noses while Azerbaijan engaged in some light ethnic cleansing. Not really a huge surprise, but a pretty huge blow to anyone who expected the CSTO to actually do anything. I don't think you would've seen Russia doing jack poo poo even if they hadn't been busy in Ukraine.

Stultus Maximus posted:

What's the reasoning behind banning Iran? I mean, they suck but so do a lot of countries. Is Saudi Arabia there?

Iran certainly isn't the only country that should face some censure, but yeah, pretty much everything Saudi Arabia gets up to, so does Iran, but Iran in particular suppressed a very big and public uprising against their "morality police" paramilitary groups in the spring of this year. I would expect it to be a response to that.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1698286463467540686

Meanwhile, in more Ukraine-adjacent chat, here's a Ukrainian tanker's review of the Challenger compared to the T-64, T-72 and T-80 he's crewed on. I think it's interesting to hear Ukrainian crews' opinions of and experiences with all this NATO gear that's otherwise never really been tested in a peer/near peer environment.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

The X-man cometh posted:

Yeah, but when it's their BUFF equivalent it's going to be on a giant ramp one way or another, and it's not like you can hide those. They also aren't covering the entire surface, so you still eminently have a plane shape that is readily visible, and if it's low enough res to erase that effect it'd be a handful of pixels for the entire plane anyway.
Also what bulletsponge said. It feels like doing something to have done something regardless of its effectiveness to me. But who knows, if Ukraine are doing automatic image recognition to trigger the explosive (instead of GPS or manual) maybe it screws that up somehow.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Maybe they're hoping the rubber from the tires will be like one of those amusement park games and will bounce the grenade off the bomber? You have to get it perfectly in the hole

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

PurpleXVI posted:

Meanwhile, in more Ukraine-adjacent chat, here's a Ukrainian tanker's review of the Challenger compared to the T-64, T-72 and T-80 he's crewed on. I think it's interesting to hear Ukrainian crews' opinions of and experiences with all this NATO gear that's otherwise never really been tested in a peer/near peer environment.

One of the commonly circulated views about Soviet equipment is that it was designed with ease of maintenance in mind; from what the Ukrainians are saying it sounds like this is very much not the case (at least from a crew member's perspective). Between that and the obvious attention to crew survivability, it sounds like NATO has some great ideas in regards to the end product (if not the procurement process).

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Fearless posted:

One of the commonly circulated views about Soviet equipment is that it was designed with ease of maintenance in mind; from what the Ukrainians are saying it sounds like this is very much not the case (at least from a crew member's perspective). Between that and the obvious attention to crew survivability, it sounds like NATO has some great ideas in regards to the end product (if not the procurement process).

I think the idea is that the materials and processes required to do repairs on Soviet equipment is basic and simple, but the actual ergonomics and reality of doing it is not easy

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Stravag posted:

Maybe they're hoping the rubber from the tires will be like one of those amusement park games and will bounce the grenade off the bomber? You have to get it perfectly in the hole

Lawn dart bombs

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fearless posted:

Mederlock posted:

I think the idea is that the materials and processes required to do repairs on Soviet equipment is basic and simple, but the actual ergonomics and reality of doing it is not easy

Yeah the point is that it's relatively easy and cheap to repair this stuff in the workshop. Three man crews aren't supposed to be doing complex maintenance in the field, and that's also a big reason why so much stuff got left behind in the retreats of 2022; around Kyiv it was unfixable and about Kharkiv it was stacked up in workshops waiting for someone to do something about it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mederlock posted:

The interview spoke of crew having to make tools to reach bolts and wasting hours or days doing that kind of work. As I understood it, it sounds like deeper maintenance was never meant to be done by crews but rather by specialized mechanics and armourers in a depot with access to the facilities and tools needed to do the work. This, of course, assumes that those tools are still present and have not been sold off to support foreign arms sales or on the black market.

E: Thanks Alchenar

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The X-man cometh posted:

and how's that working out for them?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Alan Smithee posted:

and how's that working out for them?

Pretty sure they haven't lost any bombers since Operation Goodyear started yesterday. :smug:

Hopefully we'll have better news tomorrow.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

Pretty sure they haven't lost any bombers since Operation Goodyear started yesterday. :smug:

Hopefully we'll have better news tomorrow.

"Goodyear Reporting"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1698409181387112602

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fearless posted:

Ease of production, not ease of maintenance.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

A.o.D. posted:

Ease of production, not ease of maintenance.

I always heard this was the case. The expectation is that in a no-poo poo war, a tank is expected to survive for 3-something minutes, so better to have 100,000 expendable tanks than 10,000 repairable ones.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Tbf soviet experience on the eastern front was that tanks would survive a maximum of a week or two before being disabled or knocked out and requiring depot refurbishment anyways.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The reason they stockpiled so much is because they were expecting a 'come with what you have' war just as much as we were. If something breaks in the tank then it isn't getting fixed in time to take part in operations anyway so don't worry about it.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Soviet-designed tanks look so small and cramped compared to Western tanks when I've seen them fighting together, like in Iraqi use. I feel sorry for the crews of T-whatevers, that sounds like a terrible job especially considering how explodey they are.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
e: nm, bit meanspirited for the vfw thread.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tiaz posted:

e: nm, bit meanspirited for the vfw thread.

Then that's a commendable edit.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Soviet-designed tanks look so small and cramped compared to Western tanks when I've seen them fighting together, like in Iraqi use. I feel sorry for the crews of T-whatevers, that sounds like a terrible job especially considering how explodey they are.

I remember a story, possibly apocryphal, that some early generations of Russian tankers were explicitly chosen for being short because they could actually fit in the current generation of tanks without needing to be folded into a pretzel.

Don't sleep on this one, guy should've been a comedian as well as a politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

Don't sleep on this one, guy should've been a comedian as well as a politician.

how is this even possible