Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Unless you're just a gloomy Gus I do not get why anyone thinks Love will do better than Fields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Unless you're just a gloomy Gus I do not get why anyone thinks Love will do better than Fields.

Better Oline, worse opposing defense, ancient curse on the bears QB position

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
Shamelessly stolen from Reddit, fans that have never seen a divisional title won.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Shouldn't that Llions kid be like 30?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Have you watched any of Love's play yet or are you just kinda shooting from the hip here?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Parallelwoody posted:

Shouldn't that Llions kid be like 30?

To be technical, the oldest kid born after the Lions last won the division would be 29 (born January 3rd, 1994). So the Lions have won the division in my lifetime, just not a playoff game :shepface:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I mean if Love is semi competent he will be better so it’s kind of a very low bar to clear

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

My wife asked if I was interested and turned on nailed it when I said no.
Good for them they finally got a point

Nailed It is a frighteningly good metaphor for Northwestern football

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Roseo posted:

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit, fans that have never seen a divisional title won.

All I see is child abuse

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DaireCarragher/status/1698741663714218276

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Years of conditioning

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Because the bears

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/fantasysource_/status/1698821141496758550?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

SKULL.GIF posted:

Have you watched any of Love's play yet or are you just kinda shooting from the hip here?

I haven't watched any 2023 GB preseason, but I did see him not play in 2022 while a broken and 3/4 out the door Rodgers took most of the snaps.

It's probably a meatball fan opinion, but I don't get why he Love is suddenly getting crowned as the Next Great Thing because of the GB QB lineage. Fields looked decent at times in 2022 behind a complete horseshit line and no weapons, this year he has a complete horseshit line and some passable weapons.

Also, this opinion has a shelf life of 170 hours.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's because love is a hall of famer

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

MacheteZombie posted:

It's because love is a hall of famer

That's right

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The rumor is the Packers offered Dillon and a third for Taylor and the Colts response was Dillon, a first AND Watson. So uh the Packers response to that was so uh not serious about trading Taylor are you.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I haven't watched any 2023 GB preseason, but I did see him not play in 2022 while a broken and 3/4 out the door Rodgers took most of the snaps.

It's probably a meatball fan opinion, but I don't get why he Love is suddenly getting crowned as the Next Great Thing because of the GB QB lineage. Fields looked decent at times in 2022 behind a complete horseshit line and no weapons, this year he has a complete horseshit line and some passable weapons.

Packers bullshit, it doesn't matter.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I love this so much.

Hand Row posted:

The rumor is the Packers offered Dillon and a third for Taylor and the Colts response was Dillon, a first AND Watson. So uh the Packers response to that was so uh not serious about trading Taylor are you.

Packers offer sounds about right if the Colts were seriously trying to unload him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

You know how Rodgers came in for Favre in that one game in 2007 against the Cowboys and looked really good even though they ultimately lost, and the Packers front office went "Yeah we gotta stick with this guy"? Even though Rodgers didn't play again for the rest of the season and it was a boneheaded Favre pick that ultimately ended the Packers playoff run? Apparently a similar effect happened when Love came in for Rodgers against the Eagles last season. The Packers were still in contention for the playoffs, no one would've benched even a gimpy Rodgers for Love, as long as the Packers were still alive and Rodgers could still play football.

The Packers fanbase has been largely reserved about Love, with a sizable contingent of psychos openly rooting for him to suck and the Packers to suck so that their negative Nancy worldview gets validated and they'll be finally proven right for griping and complaining and wailing and shrieking for the past three loving seasons. Love looked decent in training camp, was able to consistently hit deep balls to Watson, and just generally looked the part of a competent and effective QB. His preseason performances against the first-string defenses has only helped to confirm these preliminary assessments. He has a couple serious weaknesses in his game (in particular, his accuracy drops sharply when pressured) but I think he's coming into a fantastic situation for a young QB: one of the best pass-blocking offensive lines in the league, a deep RB room, loads of young receivers and TEs with sky-high potential, and relatively low expectations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

I love Dillon, but that feels like kind of a lowball offer. Dillon is on his final year of his contract, so the Colts aren't getting much value there beyond an immediate short-term replacement. Dillon, Watson, AND a first is, obviously, a "gently caress off and don't bother us" ask.

I think Taylor is probably worth a second round pick, taking in consideration that he's going to cost $$$. He's only 24 and should be real good for 3-4 more seasons. Is that worth a 2nd? Yeah, I think so.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"His accuracy drops sharply when pressured" is still such an incredibly funny thing to say about a QB you're trying to talk up.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I’m fine w the Packers lowballing the Colts, seeing as we were the only team with an offer in.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
well how many QBs is that untrue for

e: like I know some great QBs have better numbers against blitzes but a blitz doesn't always equate to pressure especially if the QB reads it correctly

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
From what little I have seen in the past with Love is when he is pressured and can’t do his standard throwing motions, his accuracy drops because he will throw weird flutter balls. Was really odd considering his actual arm strength is clearly there. But thankfully this issue has seemed to be greatly reduced this year. Honestly I think Clements is a master technician qb coach so thank you Rodgers for demanding his rehire.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MJeff posted:

"His accuracy drops sharply when pressured" is still such an incredibly funny thing to say about a QB you're trying to talk up.

I'm not trying to talk him up per se, I'm trying to convey what I've seen so far.

If he sucks out loud I'm not going to have any compunctions about saying that he loving sucks. I've watched 30 years of Hall of Fame QB play. I know what good quarterbacking looks like.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/Justin_Rogers/status/1698877935485161540?t=7gelQKMhT5Z4G8zTgeBiFA&s=19

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Remember when John Fox challenged what he thought was a touchdown and ended up getting a first and goal turned into a touchback and the Bears lost to Brett Hundley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfnsZgbwKwM
:allears:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pops Mgee posted:

Remember when John Fox challenged what he thought was a touchdown and ended up getting a first and goal turned into a touchback and the Bears lost to Brett Hundley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfnsZgbwKwM
:allears:

The list of non-Lovie Bears coaches over the past 30 years is pretty embarrassing: Wannstedt, Jauron (would have been Dave McGinnis but they scheduled a press conference without having a signed deal with him), Trestman, Fox, Nagy.

loving woof.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Timby posted:

The list of non-Lovie Bears coaches over the past 30 years is pretty embarrassing: Wannstedt, Jauron (would have been Dave McGinnis but they scheduled a press conference without having a signed deal with him), Trestman, Fox, Nagy.

loving woof.

Wanny was at least fun for a quote.

Trestman, Jauron, Fox and Nagy were bad and boring.

Fake Edit:

Actually Trestman's ending with Kromer might be the funniest thing I have ever seen happen in the Bears Coaching ranks.

Picturing Trestman in the back of the meeting room putting on his best(lovely) scowl, as Aaron Kromer, tearfully apologizes to Jay Cutler, in a full team meeting, for telling the national media that he loving sucks, while Jay Cutler is probably like sleeping or some bullshit.

And then they decide the best way to try and save their job is to start loving Jimmy Clausen.

Real Edit:

In Fairness thinking about it more, Nagy was actually pretty fun, until Trubisky sucking completely broke him and his offensive playcalling.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think the double doink broke Nagy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Timby posted:

I think the double doink broke Nagy.

It did not. It's a fun narrative off a silly situation, but like yeah he had a completely deranged kicking competition after it, but that competition ended up actually working to find a kicker.

The thing that broke Nagy was realizing that Mitch would never ever be able to run his "beautiful" Offense, so he constantly had to dial it back, and was just constantly mad, that his offensive coordinators were able to call a better gameplay to play around Mitch's limitations than he was.

Just Nagy seething in Meetings as Mitch aw shucks his way through missing passes and reads in meetings week after week after week, but being unable to actually bench him, because despite this he still does give you the best chance to win of the QB's on the roster at the time. Just completely sapped his will to be an offensive coach.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 5, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I feel like Tarik Cohen's injury also probably accelerated his demise a bit too because he had to even further try to make his offense a more conventional one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

I feel like Tarik Cohen's injury also probably accelerated his demise a bit too because he had to even further try to make his offense a more conventional one.

Yeah, Losing Cohen was also huge.

loving sucks man, when he was healthy he was amazing.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Its pretty cool that he was able to do decent in camp and the preseason games. With that fusion surgery there was a lot of talk that its about quality of life and that probably means no football.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dexo posted:

It did not. It's a fun narrative off a silly situation, but like yeah he had a completely deranged kicking competition after it, but that competition ended up actually working to find a kicker.

The thing that broke Nagy was realizing that Mitch would never ever be able to run his "beautiful" Offense, so he constantly had to dial it back, and was just constantly mad, that his offensive coordinators were able to call a better gameplay to play around Mitch's limitations than he was.

Just Nagy seething in Meetings as Mitch aw shucks his way through missing passes and reads in meetings week after week after week, but being unable to actually bench him, because despite this he still does give you the best chance to win of the QB's on the roster at the time. Just completely sapped his will to be an offensive coach.

It reminds me of an Onion article that was basically "Young QB who is going to get everyone fired says he just wants to win football games." I felt bad for Trubs, he was a nice enough guy, he just sucked at being an NFL quarterback. Unlike Cade McKnown, who was so unlikable that him turning out to be terrible was actually hilarious.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

sweet geek swag posted:

It reminds me of an Onion article that was basically "Young QB who is going to get everyone fired says he just wants to win football games." I felt bad for Trubs, he was a nice enough guy, he just sucked at being an NFL quarterback. Unlike Cade McKnown, who was so unlikable that him turning out to be terrible was actually hilarious.

https://www.theonion.com/i-m-just-here-to-win-football-games-says-22-year-old-1819579929

What's even funnier is they used Trubisky as the picture.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like this man loves designing and calling plays so much he hangs up his playcall sheets on his walls after every year.

And this motherfucker had to watch Mitch Trubisky suck poo poo at playing football, while cutting off his own nuts and playing boring run run pass offense from Bill Lazor who's not good, but at least realizes "this dude sucks, I guess we loving have to play boring predictable protect the bad QB idiot ball"

Not like caping for Nagy here as that's the job when you are the Head Coach, tell your GM he hosed up on the QB and to draft another one, once you realize this. Or you go out and do whatever you can to maximize and win with the poo poo you've been given

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

lmao they dropped that a month after the draft the onion never misses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that's right
https://twitter.com/BN_Bears/status/1699075399442149508?s=20