Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Xelkelvos posted:

The three connected dot symbol is the big hint as to his involvement since that's basically his logo.

It could be a lot of possibilities. It could be a stand-in VA because of how heavily modulated the voice is. If they are, indeed, a woman, there's at least a few possibilities including: Faora, commonly depicted as Zod's wife; Kara Zor-El aka Supergirl; I guess it could also be Lara Zor-El, Superman's kryptonian mother, but I think that's unlikely; and there's a few other possibilities for female Kryptonians that are on the more obscure side

My money's it on Kari Wahlgren being a placeholder VA for precisely the above reason, but a more intriguing possibility for me is that the creators have just decided to make Zod a woman. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems we won’t have long to wait for the second season either, according to this most of the work has already been completed on it and they’re anticipating an early 2024 start date:

https://thedirect.com/article/my-adventures-with-superman-season-2-release

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 1, 2023

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I mean I'm preeetty sure Das Boo posted mystery character's model sheet and bio like a year ago. That's all I'll say, except that it sounds like a pretty fun story hook.

Jimmy now has enough money to either live comfortably forever OR blow it all on one crazy-rear end scifi laser. Which will he choose?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Escobarbarian posted:

Watching it now and yeah, it’s good stuff. Also very pleasantly surprised they got Donald Glover back, but it’s a shame NPH didn’t return (Andrew Rannells is a great replacement tho)

Ellis P (both the name and the character) got a big laugh out of me

I feel like if you gotta budget your VAs, Glover is more making the character potentially than NPH is, for as good as NPH is.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

There’s no way Jimmy actually gets to keep the cash from the buyout for long. I give it until the next season finale at the latest for them to run into a situation where he needs to spend it all at once to save the day.

The better comedy of errors is that he gets even richer because he invested it the Newskid Legion or something silly at face.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Regalingualius posted:

There’s no way Jimmy actually gets to keep the cash from the buyout for long. I give it until the next season finale at the latest for them to run into a situation where he needs to spend it all at once to save the day.

I'm gonna assume he'll spend most of the season getting into SuperDickery cover scenarios with his money and lose it all at the season finale. I doubt it'd be "all" of it, but I'm gonna assume Jimmy buys off Deathstroke in one episode.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So does Punished Jor El just refuse to speak english on principle? Because he obviously understands it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

MorningMoon posted:

I'm gonna assume he'll spend most of the season getting into SuperDickery cover scenarios with his money and lose it all at the season finale. I doubt it'd be "all" of it, but I'm gonna assume Jimmy buys off Deathstroke in one episode.

I was kinda figuring it’ll either be “he has to sacrifice it all at once”… or “he could have weathered it with some breathing room if he hadn’t pissed the rest away earlier in the season on extravagant poo poo and terrible investments”

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Meanwhile in Marvel land:

https://twitter.com/CanWeGetToast/status/1697743758425825643

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That sucks poo poo. What’s the point if it doesn’t look like 1994?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Not sure how accurate that is (heck, isn't one of the artists on these forums?) but it is definitely delayed to next year.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/marvel-tv-show-release-dates-1235580093/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, if anyone can confirm the animation change please do so as I agree it kind of defeats the point of this being a revival of the old show

Though to be fair, not even the last season looked like it did in 1994

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 2, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lol if this is true, given that the head writer was trashing The Witcher for not respecting the source material. He'll have egg on his face.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lol if this is true, given that the head writer was trashing The Witcher for not respecting the source material. He'll have egg on his face.

Pretty sure he was talking about the show's writing and not that it wasn't just a series of blocks of text like the, (and all) books

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I think it'll just be funny if we finally get Lex acting as Lex Luthor properly, and then Jimmy just casually making millions and knocking him out of the running of richest man in Metropolis.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm partway into the first season of Amphibia, not liking it all that much but I'm watching it for a friend so I don't mind.

Am I right in thinking that these episodes were aired out of order, yeah? e.g. Breakout Star (episode 10) clearly comes after Toad Tax (19). Additionally, Anne's relationship with the town, and the family's financial health seemingly changes on an episode to episode basis, but I can't tell if that's crazy paving continuity or just sloppy loving plotting.

From googling, I can tell that a few other people have noticed this, but there doesn't seem to be a fan reordering of the episodes, let along an official production order. Though production order apparently places episodes 3 and 4 before episode 1, so I don't know why the latter would be helpful either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shows often get reordered with no rhyme or reason. DuckTales had the Neverrest episode pushed forward because snow=christmas.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
My Adventures with Superman is a very good show and I'm glad to be experiencing it

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm, weird choice.

Its possible they're getting Polygon Pictures to animate it, since they're also animating the new Spiderman cartoon.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

I'm partway into the first season of Amphibia, not liking it all that much but I'm watching it for a friend so I don't mind.

Am I right in thinking that these episodes were aired out of order, yeah? e.g. Breakout Star (episode 10) clearly comes after Toad Tax (19). Additionally, Anne's relationship with the town, and the family's financial health seemingly changes on an episode to episode basis, but I can't tell if that's crazy paving continuity or just sloppy loving plotting.

From googling, I can tell that a few other people have noticed this, but there doesn't seem to be a fan reordering of the episodes, let along an official production order. Though production order apparently places episodes 3 and 4 before episode 1, so I don't know why the latter would be helpful either.

Breakout Star would actually have to be pre-Toad Tax, because Toad Tax/Prison Break are supposed to be the big middle of the season eps (the 10th half hour out of 20), and Breakout Star is pre-some director/board team stuff getting slightly shuffled

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not super enjoying Amphibia. The conflicts in a lot of these farm episodes (which seem to be heavily, heavily weighted towards the first half of the season) are very repetitive. Grandad is a reactionary traditionalist. Anne convinces the kids to try something new, but they go too far because young people. Chaos ensues, everyone learns an important lesson about compromise.

A lot of the humour doesn't work for me, and the lesson learning component are simplistic and more heavily underscored than in Gravity Falls (and its derivatives, or even their contemporary ilk e.g. Adventure Time, Steven Universe), so these episodes bore me.

The episodes that focus on townies, or try something more complex with the characters, are better, but from browsing ahead they seem to be more backloaded in the run. I'm running under the assumption that the episode order was heavily reorganised for some reason, so my current theory is that it was decided to shuffle a lot of these episodes earlier into the run.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Breakout Star would actually have to be pre-Toad Tax, because Toad Tax/Prison Break are supposed to be the big middle of the season eps (the 10th half hour out of 20), and Breakout Star is pre-some director/board team stuff getting slightly shuffled

It's possible that I don't understand the argument you're making here, but Breakout Star references the events of Toad Tax, so the aired order is wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Not super enjoying Amphibia. The conflicts in a lot of these farm episodes (which seem to be heavily, heavily weighted towards the first half of the season) are very repetitive. Grandad is a reactionary traditionalist. Anne convinces the kids to try something new, but they go too far because young people. Chaos ensues, everyone learns an important lesson about compromise.

A lot of the humour doesn't work for me, and the lesson learning component are simplistic and more heavily underscored than in Gravity Falls (and its derivatives, or even their contemporary ilk e.g. Adventure Time, Steven Universe), so these episodes bore me.

The episodes that focus on townies, or try something more complex with the characters, are better, but from browsing ahead they seem to be more backloaded in the run. I'm running under the assumption that the episode order was heavily reorganised for some reason, so my current theory is that it was decided to shuffle a lot of these episodes earlier into the run.

It's possible that I don't understand the argument you're making here, but Breakout Star references the events of Toad Tax, so the aired order is wrong.

it gets better once they start going on the adventure. its like alot of those disney serial shows that gets more interesting once they get past the "conflict of the week" and into the bigger story. but yeah i get what you mean

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, things start picking up a bit by the end of Season 1 onwards (and even some of the more fillery stuff early on becomes important by the end of the show). I understand what you mean though

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Amphibia's lesson of the week format doesn't really get dropped until well into season 3. It's a bizarre fusion of Pepper Anne and Sonic Adventure 2. That being said, Matt Braly's cultural influences are some of the things I love most in this world so I was able to power through the incidental episodes, enjoy the black comedy of frog world violence, and the character dynamics between the kids are great.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Amphibia's lesson of the week format doesn't really get dropped until well into season 3. It's a bizarre fusion of Pepper Anne and Sonic Adventure 2. That being said, Matt Braly's cultural influences are some of the things I love most in this world so I was able to power through the incidental episodes, enjoy the black comedy of frog world violence, and the character dynamics between the kids are great.

Even Well into Season 3, it's basically near the end that it becomes much more serialized. The show episodic nature is honestly part of it's charm imo. In a world where a lot of cartoons have chosen to go the more serial route, I'll admit it's nice to have a show that can still tell a greater story while not losing a chance to tell those little one-off tales in between (similar reasons I also like Ghost & Molly Mcgee & Big City Greens). Never viewed them as "filler" or what have you, just, here are some adventures the characters go through in the greater journey.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Molly McGee I’ve really been enjoying the second season so far (though the D+ page for the series is still a little ways behind). Plus, the show features two of my favorite VAs together in the same series (Ashly Burch and Dana Snyder) who have great chemistry to boot

DoctorWhat posted:

True but it does become slightly less episodic come Season 2 (and the finale of said season raises the stakes in a major way)

Also be sure to watch the Sasha and Marcy Theme Song Takeovers on YouTube as they’re directly canon to the series and once you’re done with the series read Marcy’s Journal

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 6, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

cartoons123 posted:

Even Well into Season 3, it's basically near the end that it becomes much more serialized. The show episodic nature is honestly part of it's charm imo. In a world where a lot of cartoons have chosen to go the more serial route, I'll admit it's nice to have a show that can still tell a greater story while not losing a chance to tell those little one-off tales in between (similar reasons I also like Ghost & Molly Mcgee & Big City Greens). Never viewed them as "filler" or what have you, just, here are some adventures the characters go through in the greater journey.

Oh yeah. I mean there's honestly not a lot of real "filler" as a lot of elements (or running jokes) from jokey one-and-dones actually come back later.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Amphibia is very chill, which does mean that the drama doesn't really peak as much, but it's an okay ride. Molly McGee is similarly another step away from the dramatic or overarching narratives. And that's fine, not all shows need to chase drama, but it does seem like right now, there's not very much in the genre of mostly comedic but steadily building overarching plot right now.

Which is kinda more just a numbers thing on the production side. Nickelodeon has always had a shaky relationship with what's left of their animation division and a bad history with Young Adults, so there's nothing coming out from them right now. Cartoon Network was purposefully destroyed in an act of arson. Netflix has a bumpy relationship with animation, and it's usually what gets cut whenever they have a little trouble. So when Disney just decides to take a step back, that's all the big players.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Everybody I know is either out of work or freelance right now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think everyone except for Netflix pretty much got scared off of shows with continuity for some reason or another

(probably that all of them become queer over time and executives are pieces of poo poo who can't handle that)

however i do not want to demonize 'status quo' or episodic shows as being innately inferior and i don't love dismissing simpler/static episodes as 'filler', personally. i think there's just as much love and craft put into those as any other episode

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i think everyone except for Netflix pretty much got scared off of shows with continuity for some reason or another

(probably that all of them become queer over time and executives are pieces of poo poo who can't handle that)

however i do not want to demonize 'status quo' or episodic shows as being innately inferior and i don't love dismissing simpler/static episodes as 'filler', personally. i think there's just as much love and craft put into those as any other episode

From other people, yes but they seem to have gutted their own animation projects a while back.

Speaking of, Hilda Season 3 finally seems to have a release window:

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/hilda-season-3-everything-we-know-09-2023/

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well for right now with the double strike still on I'd imagine everyone's gutting everything that's not a reality/game show or like a certified mega-hit that they still want to have around

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoPair posted:

Well for right now with the double strike still on I'd imagine everyone's gutting everything that's not a reality/game show or like a certified mega-hit that they still want to have around

Or of course importing programming from countries not part of the strikes

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TwoPair posted:

This is the future Zaslav wants. He played everyone like fiddles.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m glad that Hilda isn’t dead at least considering the long period of silence we’ve had regarding the last season (and based on the article I posted it seems to be dropping fairly soon at that)

Also Cartoon Network put an episode of the new Tiny Toons series up on their YouTube channel (though it’s not the first episode oddly enough):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4KnlnrFigyM

This…kind of sucks to be honest

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 7, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: Amphibia chat, it's not so much that I mind stand alone stories vs arc stories (heaven knows a lot of arcs are crap). I just thought a lot of these episodes were kind of dull, repetitive and unfunny. I assume it gets better thoug, plenty of shows don't put their best foot forward, and even those that do start strong e.g. Gravity Falls tend to get better as they go along.

But these farm episodes are not great, no.

Larryb posted:

From other people, yes but they seem to have gutted their own animation projects a while back.

Speaking of, Hilda Season 3 finally seems to have a release window:

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/hilda-season-3-everything-we-know-09-2023/

Pretty happy about this news. Gorgeous show, gorgeous art. I used to use the comics as a teaching aid back when I still did that, and it's been great to see the series become more well known.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If I remember right they’re pretty much out of comics to adapt so I assume the last season of Hilda will be 100% original

Speaking of, are the comics worth reading or does the show handle them better?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, are the comics worth reading or does the show handle them better?

They're cute, but I prefer the show.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Larryb posted:

Also Cartoon Network put an episode of the new Tiny Toons series up on their YouTube channel (though it’s not the first episode oddly enough):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4KnlnrFigyM

This…kind of sucks to be honest
andrew dickman huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I like with Early Amphibia is the running thing where Anne becomes more and more comfortable with eating insects given how long she ends up living among frogs. It's a cute recurring thing.