Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It also matches the description of the little towns they go through when close to Flame where the populations were terrified and families were torn about by the domain finders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I think it's pretty funny that the bookreader thread is bullish on S2 and the TV-only thread is more lukewarm.

In general terms, I'm seeing a lot less talk about the series on Internet, in comparison with the first season, except in the circles that were already fans (like this thread). Which is... worrying. Let's see if we reach four seasons at this rhythm!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 3, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I think it's pretty funny that the bookreader thread is bullish on S2 and the TV-only thread is more lukewarm.

It's the opposite for me in real life. My non-reader wife loves it, as do most of my non-reader friends and family.

She isn't big on TV in general, so I was shocked when she demanded we watch the third episode even though it was past our usual bedtime.

Meanwhile, my cousin who has read the entire series is absolutely enraged about the show. He cannot fathom that I enjoy it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mage_Boy posted:

I'm really leaning towards Moraine is shielded over stilled since we see that shielding feels like stilling in the series by the way Liandrin explained it to Nynaeve.

yeah it feels like at any point they could be like "wow we had no idea a male channeler as powerful as ishamael could tie off a shield weave for that long" or whatever. or maybe there's no fakeout and she's actually stilled, but it seems like they've left plenty of room to go back on it

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

eke out posted:

yeah it feels like at any point they could be like "wow we had no idea a male channeler as powerful as ishamael could tie off a shield weave for that long" or whatever. or maybe there's no fakeout and she's actually stilled, but it seems like they've left plenty of room to go back on it

We could also have Moraine break through the shield somehow as a foreshadow to the box.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

eke out posted:

Women can’t see men’s weaving even in the show. Rand and Logain are the only two characters who might be able to tell something is wrong if Moiraine is shielded. Maybe once Moiraine meets Logain later this season (speculation on my part) we’ll get more information.

If she is stilled, Moiraine will be traveling with the first person Nynaeve healed of gentling/stilling. Would not be too difficult for Liandrin to use the deposing of Siuan as the excuse to get Egwene/Elayne/Nynaeve to “safety”, which sets up Salidar and Nynaeve arriving there to figure out her power as a healer. Basically, there are options for the show’s writers either way.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

"You're wrong about the dragonmount prologue, that would be absolute garbage in the medium of the tv show."

Lol just zero consistency within the span of two posts.

lol naw. I see now why you have a hard time understanding the show.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

lol naw. I see now why you have a hard time understanding the show.

Wait, me pointing out how you completely contradicted yourself means I don't understand a TV show?

Lmao

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I'm not saying anyone here holds these views, but around the internet a lot of the critiques of the show tend to be wrapped in a not-so-hidden racism, which, for a very humanist and diverse work, is both completely wrong and deeply sad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grundulum posted:

Women can’t see men’s weaving even in the show. Rand and Logain are the only two characters who might be able to tell something is wrong if Moiraine is shielded. Maybe once Moiraine meets Logain later this season (speculation on my part) we’ll get more information.

Btw I like how the show is playing on stuff like this, like Tam in the vision being able to tell that Nynaeve isn’t really channeling anything, and not because she’s unable to in the arches even, or because she’d be blocked even if she could, but because she’s emotional and not great at faking channeling under those conditions. Lots of layers there

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What about Min's vision of Mat knifing Rand, any idea about that? Because that surely wasn't in the books...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

In the flickers maybe?

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Something I didn't notice but was just pointed out to me. The inn sign that Selene is running has a logo that is very similar to every Lanfear chapter icon.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I was kind of bummed we didn't get a dragkar yet.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Soonmot posted:

I was kind of bummed we didn't get a dragkar yet.

Isn't the Draghkar just talked about in Eye, but we don't see one until The Waste?

Edit: apparently one nearly kills Moraine in TGH when she's studying up. So I guess we got the group of fades instead rather than explaining a new shadowspawn

enigma105 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 3, 2023

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Turin Turambar posted:

What about Min's vision of Mat knifing Rand, any idea about that? Because that surely wasn't in the books...

There was that bit after flicker flicker where Mat was kind of frantically reassuring Rand that he'd never betray him, I assume this is riffing on that. Where they're going with it in the show is a bunch of question marks, though

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Devorum posted:

This also annoyed me. Lan is, well, Lan. Making him look like goofy doofus getting punked by a couple fades just sucks.

It probably won't be in the show, but I can't see taking the "who are you?" line seriously after displays like this.

Health Services posted:

Alternatively, it shows that the various monsters are actual threats and need to be taken seriously.

Agreed, a better way to have done this would have been Lan fending off but ultimately losing to three Fades before being rescued, him beating himself up for not being good enough, and other people being like "wtf are you talking about, going one-on-one with a Fade and surviving is legendary, you're saying you took on three and didn't die?!" Lan is a badass, Fades are terrifying badasses, you get character development.

E: maybe some discussion of how they're super humanly fast and strong and have poisoned/cursed blades to really drive home how outmatched a normal human is and that a single error is basically your death

I was also sad they didn't do the "Myrddraal are dead they just don't know it yet" thrashing even after a mortal blow, it makes them even more dangerous and alien. If they didn't want to do it during Lan's fight for pacing/distraction reasons they could've done it with Fain's Fade; even nails through the eye don't kill it until sundown, even if it's obviously otherwise dead.

I think they're messing up Lan and Moiraine's interactions, even in the books when she was trying to drive him away it's because she was trying to drive him into Nynaeve's arms despite himself, in the show it seems like she's being unnecessarily cruel.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 3, 2023

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Mage_Boy posted:

Something I didn't notice but was just pointed out to me. The inn sign that Selene is running has a logo that is very similar to every Lanfear chapter icon.

I caught that too, very clever bit of set design

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

enigma105 posted:

Isn't the Draghkar just talked about in Eye, but we don't see one until The Waste?

Edit: apparently one nearly kills Moraine in TGH when she's studying up. So I guess we got the group of fades instead rather than explaining a new shadowspawn
I don't think we get a really good look at Draghkar until tGH with Moiraine, but we see swarms of Draghkar when Rand murders everybody at the Gap, and the Fade in Emonds Field has the group followed by a Draghkar, it divebombs them as they run out of the Two Rivers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Turin Turambar posted:

-The fight with the Fades at the end of episode 1 was ehh. They weren't able to show off how Fades move with almost superhuman speed, and how of a feat is to fend them off.

Honestly I think they did put in some of the work on this; there were definitely a couple of shots during the fight where the fades were zipping around way faster than they should be able to. There wasn't a lot of attention drawn to it though so it was kind of offhand, like the Jedi guys flash-running around the hangar at the beginning of TPM and I was still like "hey maybe this could be cool"

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

arteliad posted:

This is more or less book accurate, though I don't think the exact number 10 appeared in text.

If that was true, Egwene would be 10 times as strong as Moiraine, Moiraine would be somewhere around 10 times the strength of the average Aes Sedai, and Rand would be almost 100 times the strength of Nynaeve. It seems unlikely that 6 Aes Sedai could shield Rand if he's somewhere around 100k times their strength.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

I think they're messing up Lan and Moiraine's interactions, even in the books when she was trying to drive him away it's because she was trying to drive him into Nynaeve's arms despite himself, in the show it seems like she's being unnecessarily cruel.

Eh, cutting out everyone trying to play matchmaker with everyone else is a change I'm a fan of.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I guess I'm the stick in the mud because I thought the first 3 episodes of this season are more or less the same as last season. The production quality seems higher but the dialogue and acting are rough.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

Eh, cutting out everyone trying to play matchmaker with everyone else is a change I'm a fan of.

I don't remember much in the way of people playing matchmaker (besides Aviendha trying to get Rand and Elayne together which is hilarious)

Also Moiraine still knew she was going to her death and did what she did to Lan as a kindness - don't get me wrong how she went about it was hosed up and there were much better ways of handling it, but at heart her actions were motivated by concern and care. It didn't strike as matchmaking just for the sake of it

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hughmoris posted:

I guess I'm the stick in the mud because I thought the first 3 episodes of this season are more or less the same as last season. The production quality seems higher but the dialogue and acting are rough.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I thought season 1 overall was kind of bad. Its on scale though, you can't really compare the show to something like Succession. You have to give it fair comparisons and I think season 1 Spartaus was clearly superior. It doesn't have magic but guys with swords in olden times and there are plotters plotting. GoT season 1 also a cut above, but again not the same thing, low magic and more grim dark. Legend of the Seeker is a really low bar to have to clear and it does that easily. If you went high magic but modern Legion blows it out of the water and it has a very Rand main character.

The bad for me was for a lot of reasons, some from being a book reader. I wish they had more time to do world building and characterization, like in early got. You had the time to get to know these people a bit and where they're from. Season 1 of wot just zips too much. Then you had things like Ishy/Moridin's entire motivation and Rand's response to the Dark One's promise given away early. And then the ending is rough with poo poo like random love triangle but like there was that whole plague thing and one of the boys leaving for some undisclosed reason so you have to give that a pass to an extent. I also hate the drone shots, I can't explain it, I just think they look like poo poo.

I was always going to watch season 2 though. I put enough time as a teenager into the books that I was never not going to turn up. And I'm curious to see where they go and and how they switch things up. In the end butch Thom might work better in this than camp Thom. Who knows. I like the first 3 episodes of season 2 a lot more than I liked the first 3 episodes of season 1 so its on an upswing for me.

None of that is about the casting though. I thought the Perrin casting was great, he's built like a tank and looks like a quiet guy. Its not his fault they didn't give him lines of dialogue. Egwene exudes Egwene energy. The Elayne actress is also very Elayne. They made changes like show Lan is far more transparently human than book Lan and its an interesting move. They haven't made an actor choice yet where I thought what the gently caress is this? We haven't met the Aiel yet but I was a little disappointed that we're not getting the desert Irish but its not like I'm unwilling to see how that plays out. They could be great.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Goofballs posted:

We haven't met the Aiel yet but I was a little disappointed that we're not getting the desert Irish

lol what? Didn't they cast a literal irish person?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

CainFortea posted:

lol what? Didn't they cast a literal irish person?

feel free to link it

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Goofballs posted:

feel free to link it

https://collider.com/wheel-of-time-season-2-cast-ayoola-smart-aviendha/

Article makes references to book stuff.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Its not like you can't be black and Irish, as Phil Lynott said its like being a pint of Guiness. But its not exactly the stereotype of the Irish. One of the interesting things about the books is the Aiel are basically the Fremen from Dune. The Fremen are heavily coded as Bedouin. It was an interesting twist that you had a whole bunch of redheads living in the desert. I'm not that bent out of shape about it, like I said.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
After giving the first 3 another watch, there's a lot of book changes that improve things quite a bit- Liandrin not being a cardboard cutout villain is probably the most notably best one, but I think Rand not wandering around with no one but Hurin, Loial, and Lanfear is really for the best, too. Lanfear's characterization and interactions with Rand have been absolutely spot on imo.

I think it's a lot better this season since the episodes are like 1:10 runtime, but I still absolutely hate being stuck with 8 ep seasons. It's just too short, and while they're hitting a ton of great character moments, the runtime constraint is just really killer.

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014

Nion posted:

If that was true, Egwene would be 10 times as strong as Moiraine, Moiraine would be somewhere around 10 times the strength of the average Aes Sedai, and Rand would be almost 100 times the strength of Nynaeve. It seems unlikely that 6 Aes Sedai could shield Rand if he's somewhere around 100k times their strength.

The Great Hunt - Chapter 4 posted:

"Egwene is at least as strong as Elayne...Nynaeve...Once she gains conscious control of what she does now...she will be as strong as any in Tar Valon. With training she will shine like a bonfire beside the candles of Elayne and Egwene"

But go off.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Nion posted:

They had to shield him when he wasn't touching the Source, and had to have constant active shields even then.

Even in Book 3, Rand was so strong and could handle so many simultaneous weaves it astonished Elayne and Egwene, two of the strongest channelers alive.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Nion posted:

Elayne and Egwene are strong compared to the general power level of the current age of channelers, which is much lower overall because humanity (besides Shara, Seanchan, and the Sea Folk) had been winnowing the ability out for centuries. Nynaeve is so strong she would've been one of the strongest channelers even in the Age of Legends, the high water mark of channeling in the cycle. Rand, as the dragon, is the strongest channeler that can or will exist ever, period.

The way that saidin/saidar are contrasted means women get more utility (i.e. circles) but men get more firepower. The shielding thing is less about matching strength to strength and more about leveraging that dexterity to neutralize someone before they can even throw a punch. This gets spelled out explicitly in the books - the total power of women in a circle is not going to be as high as the "sum" of their individual strengths but their capability will be vastly expanded.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Goofballs posted:

Its not like you can't be black and Irish, as Phil Lynott said its like being a pint of Guiness. But its not exactly the stereotype of the Irish. One of the interesting things about the books is the Aiel are basically the Fremen from Dune. The Fremen are heavily coded as Bedouin. It was an interesting twist that you had a whole bunch of redheads living in the desert. I'm not that bent out of shape about it, like I said.

They're absolutely keeping that, what with multiple references to how red hair means Aiel to a lot of people, and what we've seen of casting in promotional stuff:

Even in the books though, Aiel were more diverse than the stereotypes, there were some dark-haired ones and some that would have even been short in the Westlands. And even the red hair ran the full spectrum from strawberry blond to dark hair with reddish tones.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Elayne and Egwene are strong compared to the general power level of the current age of channelers, which is much lower overall because humanity (besides Shara, Seanchan, and the Sea Folk) had been winnowing the ability out for centuries. Nynaeve is so strong she would've been one of the strongest channelers even in the Age of Legends, the high water mark of channeling in the cycle. Rand, as the dragon, is the strongest channeler that can or will exist ever, period.

Actually I think what the Seanchan did should have been even more effective at winnowing out the channelers from their population. Every damane is one woman who will not have children and it seems even the sul'dam lifestyle isn't very geared towards a family life either. And they catch basically everyone who can channel.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

The whole "winnowing out" thing was an in-universe theory by some Aes Sedai.

The Kin and all the other societies and their number (and strength) of channelers thoroughly disproved it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The fewer numbers in randland are from the aes sedai turning everyone away

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Do you think they're just going to merge Liandrin into Elaida? There's probably just not enough time in the show to establish Elaida's whole thing, a lawful-evil individual who thinks they're acting in the name of the greater good. Having Liandrin lead the Tower after Siuan is deposed works about as well and would cut down on a number of unnecessary plot threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Do you think they're just going to merge Liandrin into Elaida? There's probably just not enough time in the show to establish Elaida's whole thing, a lawful-evil individual who thinks they're acting in the name of the greater good. Having Liandrin lead the Tower after Siuan is deposed works about as well and would cut down on a number of unnecessary plot threads.

I hope they don't, elaida not being a dark friend is important thematically.