Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Ok, I made a mistake. I bought TerraMaster D4-300 USB to add more storage to my computer. The problem is if I do too much intensive data, like unrar'ing huge data or multiple large data transfers, Windows claims the USB disconnects.

How can I add four hard drives more of storage to my desktop computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Put 4 hard drives in the hard drive bays and connect them via SATA. Or are you saying they are full?

Have you checked to see if your drive enclosure supports eSATA? If so, try that. You can also see if Windows thinks your hard drive is supposed to be quick removable, turn that off, and enable write caching.

https://www.easeus.com/computer-ins...is%20removable.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
With the recent Google/Dropbox/Box plan nerfs it looks like I need to bring my storage back on prem.

My needs are 150TB of usable storage with relatively low power consumption and appropriate redundancy. One thing that is a hard requirement for me is that I run a standard Linux operating system on my NAS, so no Synology or other appliance stuff.

In an ideal world expanding capacity wouldn't be difficult, but I think that's still not really addressed by most file systems/solutions. So that's a wishlist item, but not required.

As is the case for basically everyone, cheaper is better.

Does anyone have recommendations they could share for the following?

• Chassis/cases/enclosures that are suitable for my requirements. I was thinking 8 disks minimum
  • Motherboards that are suitable for the task, so small with enough SATA ports
  • Ideas on what grade of disks are acceptable, trying for find non SMR stuff seems to be way harder than when I last did this
  • Ideas on good file systems. Is zfs still the good one? GlusterFS looked good for expandability, but that seems like I'd use it as a layer on top of ZFS

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

yoloer420 posted:

With the recent Google/Dropbox/Box plan nerfs it looks like I need to bring my storage back on prem.

My needs are 150TB of usable storage with relatively low power consumption and appropriate redundancy. One thing that is a hard requirement for me is that I run a standard Linux operating system on my NAS, so no Synology or other appliance stuff.

In an ideal world expanding capacity wouldn't be difficult, but I think that's still not really addressed by most file systems/solutions. So that's a wishlist item, but not required.

As is the case for basically everyone, cheaper is better.

Does anyone have recommendations they could share for the following?

• Chassis/cases/enclosures that are suitable for my requirements. I was thinking 8 disks minimum
  • Motherboards that are suitable for the task, so small with enough SATA ports
  • Ideas on what grade of disks are acceptable, trying for find non SMR stuff seems to be way harder than when I last did this
  • Ideas on good file systems. Is zfs still the good one? GlusterFS looked good for expandability, but that seems like I'd use it as a layer on top of ZFS
Look into some of Supermicro's offerings for motherboards, their mATX and mITX boards are especially interesting for this kind of thing - newer ones often come with two MiniSASHD connectors which can each be used with a 4-port SATA fan-out connector.
WD Red at 8TB or above are all CMR disks, as are all the WD Pros. Seagate IronWolf are also all CMR.
ZFS is still the only real option if you care about your data and want something that's been proven to work. GlusterFS works for object storage, but there are still consistency issues with the actual filesystem storage - if you want scale-out of that nature, many of the HPC clusters (including #1, currently) on the TOP500 use ZFS+Lustre for their storage, so it's pretty much the best option.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I have this cheap newegg rackmount chassis with some asus motherboard and a simple data extender PCI-e card. Works super well, no complaints.

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rsv-l4412u-black/p/11-147-330?Item=11-147-330&cm_sp=product-_-from-price-options

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goharddrive is legit. I bought some drives from them via Newegg, one died years later, they refunded that drive in full after I shipped it back. I would absolutely use the savings to buy a spare or two, though.

I bought a bunch of 10TB drives from them recently but none of those have died yet.

cool, awesome. I'll use the savings to go N+2 and probably a hotspare as well. 6x16tb is probably a big enough array, I "only" have 30TB now. 12 of of it will retire when I upgrade, a handful of 4tb drives where the entire array fits on one 16 with room to spare.

Charles Leclerc posted:

Node 804 can do 12 drives before you need to buy extra brackets - 2x 4 drive cages in the back, 2 drives on the chassis floor and 2x 2.5 drives in the front panel. With a bit of fuckery and tight packaging I managed to get 12 3.5" drives in there but the airflow was a real problem. I've since migrated to a Define 7XL but you're back at the problem of needing to buy a bunch of brackets to fully use up the available space.

Unfortunately I'm planning on putting a full ATX epyc server board in and the 804 is mATX. Otherwise it's an awesome case.

I found a source for bare Fractal Design drive trays for $4 each and I probably have enough of the rubber dampeners and screws kicking around from the dozens of machines I've made with only SSD or NVMe so I'll just get those. An extra $30 on the case price isn't all that bad.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is it possible to 'mirror' hard disk state between two different desktops, so you can easily switch between the two without needing to manually update anything to keep them in sync? Maybe a network drive or something? I'd like to be able to switch between two desktops in a house for certain types of work if possible, with as little friction in switching as possible.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Cicero posted:

Is it possible to 'mirror' hard disk state between two different desktops, so you can easily switch between the two without needing to manually update anything to keep them in sync? Maybe a network drive or something? I'd like to be able to switch between two desktops in a house for certain types of work if possible, with as little friction in switching as possible.

https://syncthing.net/ has always "just worked" for me. I'm currently syncing ~2,1 TB from my NAS to various devices without issues
(On windows there is https://github.com/canton7/SyncTrayzor which wraps syncthing to make your life easier)

Cantide fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 5, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I was also going to post syncthing. Be very careful how you set it up in terms of send only/recieve only because you can lose everything when a full drive thinks it's supposed to mirror an empty one.

I also use synctrayzor for a GUI.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
It sounds obvious, but it's also worth noting that Syncthing only 'syncs things' when both 'things' are online at the same time - so if you're turning off a PC and opening a laptop, and then closing the laptop and powering-on your PC, they can't 'see' each other and won't sync.

If you want the 'personal cloud' thing, you'll need to think about setting something up as an always-on intermediary: the simplest option being something like laptop <-> Pi, Pi <-> PC.

(this will also make backups nice and simple - rather than backing-up both the laptop and the PC, all you need to do is figure out a way to backup the Pi's contents.)

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Should I have any concerns about updating to a new Synology wrt. transcoding of videos and the newer versions not being Intel with integrated GPU?

I have an old DS218Play that's getting a bit long in the tooth and looking at DS423+ (Intel) or DS923+ (AMD) and would use it primarily for watching ripped BR and storing all my photos, and whatever else is actually possible with a newer machine (Docker etc.)

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

refleks posted:

Should I have any concerns about updating to a new Synology wrt. transcoding of videos and the newer versions not being Intel with integrated GPU?

I have an old DS218Play that's getting a bit long in the tooth and looking at DS423+ (Intel) or DS923+ (AMD) and would use it primarily for watching ripped BR and storing all my photos, and whatever else is actually possible with a newer machine (Docker etc.)

Going to depend what software you're using but IIRC the AMD poo poo sucks for transcodes. Generally inferior quality compared to intel and unsupported by Plex last I looked into it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

withoutclass posted:

Going to depend what software you're using but IIRC the AMD poo poo sucks for transcodes. Generally inferior quality compared to intel and unsupported by Plex last I looked into it.
Unsupported by Plex has more to do with Plex being poo poo than anything AMD is doing/not doing.

Quality wise, nothing can compete with software encoding using QRF on a slower or slowest preset to get threading support on a Xeon using Intel SVT.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Unsupported by Plex has more to do with Plex being poo poo than anything AMD is doing/not doing.

Well yea, the couple of friends I've talked to about it have said that the output quality of AMD's iGPU transcoding tends to be of lower quality in comparison to Intel as well. Plex has nothing to do with that since Plex doesn't support AMD at all.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

withoutclass posted:

Well yea, the couple of friends I've talked to about it have said that the output quality of AMD's iGPU transcoding tends to be of lower quality in comparison to Intel as well. Plex has nothing to do with that since Plex doesn't support AMD at all.
The problem isn't that any particular GPGPU-based approach is slightly better than any other given GPGPU-based approach, the problem is that all of them are using fixed-profile encoding where you don't really get a choice - the only advantage it has is that it can do it very quickly.

Initially, Intel QSV was launched as a way to do live-trancode from your stationary computer to a mobile device, so that you could get a TV/VoD stream on your small display while you were out and about.
Turns out that most people can't/don't notice the difference in video quality, and so are perfectly happy with low-bitrate video so long as it's done as quickly as possible.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

The problem isn't that any particular GPGPU-based approach is slightly better than any other given GPGPU-based approach, the problem is that all of them are using fixed-profile encoding where you don't really get a choice - the only advantage it has is that it can do it very quickly.

Initially, Intel QSV was launched as a way to do live-trancode from your stationary computer to a mobile device, so that you could get a TV/VoD stream on your small display while you were out and about.
Turns out that most people can't/don't notice the difference in video quality, and so are perfectly happy with low-bitrate video so long as it's done as quickly as possible.

This is cool to know, and I'm definitely not knowledgeable about how it works under the hood so I appreciate the insight!

Maybe AMD's fixed-profiles are worse? This is all third party information for me really I haven't tested both myself since I'm a Plex user and not able to have a choice in the matter of CPU.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

withoutclass posted:

This is cool to know, and I'm definitely not knowledgeable about how it works under the hood so I appreciate the insight!

Maybe AMD's fixed-profiles are worse? This is all third party information for me really I haven't tested both myself since I'm a Plex user and not able to have a choice in the matter of CPU.
So there's only really one set of numbers for this, so please keep that in mind.
When mapping speed/quality at very fast 60fps using the gaming sequence for a YUV 4:1:1 video stream transcoded using FPGA/hardware, the datapoints are as follows:

(Source)

Unfortunately, the 2023 report doesn't include AV1 from anyone but Intel, so we'll have to wait until April/May next year.
That's probably going to be much more interesting, because while x264 is still dominant on Twitch (which is where you typically see GPGPU based encoding being used for gaming), AV1 can't really be done using traditional CPU encoding unless you take the Xeon-SVT approach which requires AVX-512 to do the vector maths (which, needless to say, isn't going to be capable of doing 60fps encoding).

EDIT: But again, this is the digital packrats thread - I assume people are here because they're into the whole archival thing.
That means sticking to software, because software encoding with QRF is made for archival, whereas the presets used for GPGPU aren't about that at all.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 8, 2023

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
HP ML30 bros, don't click too quickly like I did. RDIMMs are a nogo -_- Derp.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Got 8 drives, waiting on my 12 bay system (truenas mini r) to arrive next week :dance:

Was originally gonna do an 8 bay setup before flipping at the last minute, wondering if I should fill it out now or wait and do it when i need more space :thunk:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

AlternateAccount posted:

HP ML30 bros, don't click too quickly like I did. RDIMMs are a nogo -_- Derp.

Check your PMs!

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Stupid question but what's a safe internal temp for my Synology to be operating in?
I had to move my Synology NAS to a cabinet with little airflow and checked on my app that the temp had spiked to 52ºC.
I've powered it off for the time being until I can move it to a better location, but ideally I'm assuming I should be keeping it closer to a max of < 40ºC?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

adnam posted:

Stupid question but what's a safe internal temp for my Synology to be operating in?
I had to move my Synology NAS to a cabinet with little airflow and checked on my app that the temp had spiked to 52ºC.
I've powered it off for the time being until I can move it to a better location, but ideally I'm assuming I should be keeping it closer to a max of < 40ºC?

in an 8-bay NAS chassis under sustained load with decent fans, my 8x HDD top out around 62C in the hottest parts of the stack

code:
# ls /dev/ada* | while read line; do smartctl -a "$line" | grep -i temp ; done;
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   216   216   000    Old_age   Always       -       30 (Min/Max 14/58)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   203   203   000    Old_age   Always       -       32 (Min/Max 14/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   203   203   000    Old_age   Always       -       32 (Min/Max 14/62)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   209   209   000    Old_age   Always       -       31 (Min/Max 14/61)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   203   203   000    Old_age   Always       -       32 (Min/Max 15/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   209   209   000    Old_age   Always       -       31 (Min/Max 14/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   209   209   000    Old_age   Always       -       31 (Min/Max 14/59)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   224   224   000    Old_age   Always       -       29 (Min/Max 14/56)
(edit: I think that's a worst-ever with the ML120s that were failing, and the arctic p12 whatevers are doing great although this is not under load)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 9, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

adnam posted:

Up to 30c, there's no significant correlation between temperature and harddisk failures.
Even above 30c, it's not much of a difference.

This doesn't mean that the other hardware can stand up to the temperature, though - for example, one of the biggest predictors of failure for capacitors is heat.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

adnam posted:

I don't like pushing drives beyond 45C... that's just my personal opinion though, they're often rated to do 0-50C or even 0-60C.
I cannot in good conscience recommend running NAS appliances in small cabinets with lacking airflow. That's just begging for trouble.

Paul MaudDib posted:

in an 8-bay NAS chassis under sustained load with decent fans, my 8x HDD top out around 62C in the hottest parts of the stack

code:
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   216   216   000    Old_age   Always       -       30 (Min/Max 14/58)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   203   203   000    Old_age   Always       -       32 (Min/Max 14/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   203   203   000    Old_age   Always       -       32 (Min/Max 14/62)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   209   209   000    Old_age   Always       -       31 (Min/Max 14/61)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   203   203   000    Old_age   Always       -       32 (Min/Max 15/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   209   209   000    Old_age   Always       -       31 (Min/Max 14/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   209   209   000    Old_age   Always       -       31 (Min/Max 14/59)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   224   224   000    Old_age   Always       -       29 (Min/Max 14/56)
(edit: I think that's a worst-ever with the ML120s that were failing, and the arctic p12 whatevers are doing great although this is not under load)

Pushing 60+ over any length of time is probably not good for the drives :ohdear:

code:
# ls /dev/sd? | while read line; do smartctl -a "$line" | grep -i temp ; done;
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   047   047   000    Old_age   Always       -       35 (Min/Max 17/59)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   031   044   000    Old_age   Always       -       31 (Min/Max 18/44)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   044   044   000    Old_age   Always       -       37 (Min/Max 18/56)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   047   047   000    Old_age   Always       -       35 (Min/Max 19/62)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   048   048   000    Old_age   Always       -       34 (Min/Max 18/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   042   042   000    Old_age   Always       -       38 (Min/Max 18/56)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   045   045   000    Old_age   Always       -       36 (Min/Max 18/61)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   044   044   000    Old_age   Always       -       37 (Min/Max 18/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   040   040   000    Old_age   Always       -       39 (Min/Max 18/60)
That's my 14TB drives that I bought used and then shucked, they lived a hard life with a Chia farmer before I got them, but they've performed very well for a year in my current rig.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Mr. Crow posted:

Got 8 drives, waiting on my 12 bay system (truenas mini r) to arrive next week :dance:

Was originally gonna do an 8 bay setup before flipping at the last minute, wondering if I should fill it out now or wait and do it when i need more space :thunk:

Sweet! I've wanted a TrueNAS system, but I just don't have the money. Once it arrives let us know how you like it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wibla posted:

I don't like pushing drives beyond 45C... that's just my personal opinion though, they're often rated to do 0-50C or even 0-60C.
I cannot in good conscience recommend running NAS appliances in small cabinets with lacking airflow. That's just begging for trouble.
yeah i made a custom cabinet ala https://geoffruddock.com/soundproof-synology/ with a similar design and none of the drives go past 40c even in heat waves here (uk) and the cpu temp is unreliably peak 60-70c but that's with a noctua a-12-x25 pwm as exhaust to the cabinet which cools better than the internal fan of my nas so i knock the internal down to 5% to ensure some level of airflow is happening there, otherwise the entire unit is whisper quiet

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Up to 30c, there's no significant correlation between temperature and harddisk failures.
Even above 30c, it's not much of a difference.

This doesn't mean that the other hardware can stand up to the temperature, though - for example, one of the biggest predictors of failure for capacitors is heat.

That paper regarding temperatures above 30C+ is quite old. While the intrinsic reliability of HDDs has improved in some ways, the track pitch is much higher, the head-disk spacing is much less, thermal stability of the media is generally worse, tolerances are all just much tighter, and there are twice+ as many platters and heads in the same form factor...

Broadly speaking, temperature makes many of the most common failure modes worse. That's just thermodynamics. Also, the performance of the drive, in terms of things like write reliability, bit error rate, off track capability, all objectively get worse as you approach the maximum operating temperature. That is taken into account in the design, and a certain amount of engineering margin is added to the performance requirements at e.g. 30C to ensure that things still work at 60C. The flip side of this is that at 60C, drives are engineered to just barely function at their capacity point.

52C is getting close to the maximum operating temperature. I would try to get things down to the 40s if you can.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
those are all-time highs, checked it during a scrub and my hottest drives top out at 40C now. As I said I did have a problem with the corsair ML fans (can't do these off a LNA lol) and they kinda didn't want to spin up, but once they were going they were fine, maybe was mid 40s? Some Arctic P12s now, bit louder but more flow.

code:
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   175   175   000    Old_age   Always       -       37 (Min/Max 14/58)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   162   162   000    Old_age   Always       -       40 (Min/Max 14/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   162   162   000    Old_age   Always       -       40 (Min/Max 14/62)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   166   166   000    Old_age   Always       -       39 (Min/Max 14/61)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   171   171   000    Old_age   Always       -       38 (Min/Max 15/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   166   166   000    Old_age   Always       -       39 (Min/Max 14/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   171   171   000    Old_age   Always       -       38 (Min/Max 14/59)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   191   191   000    Old_age   Always       -       34 (Min/Max 14/56)

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Wibla posted:

Pushing 60+ over any length of time is probably not good for the drives :ohdear:

code:
# ls /dev/sd? | while read line; do smartctl -a "$line" | grep -i temp ; done;
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   047   047   000    Old_age   Always       -       35 (Min/Max 17/59)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   031   044   000    Old_age   Always       -       31 (Min/Max 18/44)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   044   044   000    Old_age   Always       -       37 (Min/Max 18/56)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   047   047   000    Old_age   Always       -       35 (Min/Max 19/62)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   048   048   000    Old_age   Always       -       34 (Min/Max 18/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   042   042   000    Old_age   Always       -       38 (Min/Max 18/56)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   045   045   000    Old_age   Always       -       36 (Min/Max 18/61)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   044   044   000    Old_age   Always       -       37 (Min/Max 18/60)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   040   040   000    Old_age   Always       -       39 (Min/Max 18/60)
That's my 14TB drives that I bought used and then shucked, they lived a hard life with a Chia farmer before I got them, but they've performed very well for a year in my current rig.

Thank you, I *knew* that the temperature was high but was trying to rationalize that "oh it's within spec", but yeah, I'm glad I've powered her down for now and going to set it up in a nice exposed area with plenty of airflow.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

withoutclass posted:

Well I have been using plex for now because 218play doesn't support docker so not a lot of other choices.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

With cheap mini PCs such as the Beelink S12, the only way to turn it into a NAS is by adding USB storage, correct?
https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Desktop-Computer-Ethernet-Family-NAS/dp/B0BWDGVCV7/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless your NAS needs are small enough to fit on an NVMe SSD, yes.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Is there any product out there, that combines the power/cost of a Beelink Mini, but with the ability to add ~4 or so hard drives?

I guess that would be a Synology? The Beelink I linked is $110, and Synology are like $600+ :(

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I managed to pick up a used UNAS 800 for free from a friend who replaced it due to that gross degrading rubber coating that manufacturers seem to be in love with.

It took a couple of hours, but I got it off the front plate, turns out its metal under there.

Next up is cleaning the gunk off the drive bays, which will be significantly harder. They're plastic and are a much more complicated shape.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

With cheap mini PCs such as the Beelink S12, the only way to turn it into a NAS is by adding USB storage, correct?
https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Desktop-Computer-Ethernet-Family-NAS/dp/B0BWDGVCV7/

Going far outside anything I would recommend, this could in theory work:
- Boot from the SATA 2.5" drive
- Use an M.2 to PCIe card and perhaps a PCIe extender cable to hang a SAS or eSATA controller card outside the case
- Plug that into an external enclosure with more disks

Or if you're feeling even more janky, get a SATA controller with internal ports and hook it up to a stack of drives powered by a separate PSU.

It looks like the M.2 slot only has one lane, so there are limits to the speed you can get, but it should be enough to saturate a Gbit connection.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 11, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

yoloer420 posted:

Next up is cleaning the gunk off the drive bays, which will be significantly harder. They're plastic and are a much more complicated shape.

Are you using isopropyl alcohol to remove it or just scraping it off?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you using isopropyl alcohol to remove it or just scraping it off?

I'm using isopropyl alcohol, a scrubbing brush, and a scraper. Basically scrape it, then isopropyl alcohol and scrubbing for the rest.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Is there any product out there, that combines the power/cost of a Beelink Mini, but with the ability to add ~4 or so hard drives?

I guess that would be a Synology? The Beelink I linked is $110, and Synology are like $600+ :(

You could potentially add an x4 HBA or SATA expansion card to a ZimaBoard and have 6-ish drives attached to it. You'd need a power solution for the drives though, it can only power two drives itself.

edit: you could potentially even do an x8 HBA because I think they'll still work in an x4 just with reduced bandwidth. So 10-ish drives? Doubt that would make any kind of sense and I haven't done any sort of math on what your actual drive speeds would look like, but a neat thought experiment.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 11, 2023

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

yoloer420 posted:

I'm using isopropyl alcohol, a scrubbing brush, and a scraper. Basically scrape it, then isopropyl alcohol and scrubbing for the rest.

You might also try Goo Gone, but test it on a small spot first. Sometimes it’ll really eat into poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Adding a power supply that can run four hard drives, a chassis that can contain and cool them, and possibly a SATA controller (not clear if Alder Lake-N has one) would all blow the cost out well beyond $110. It would be nice if there was a prebuilt that would let you load your own OS for under $500 but I don't know of anything like that. If you're able to spend more though you can build a pretty compact NAS using a case like the Jonsbo N2 and a standard mini-ITX board.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 11, 2023