Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ehud posted:

I've killed 4 or 5 world bosses on WT4 and realized I haven't gotten credit for any of them so far on my seasonal journey.

I'm fighting another one right now to see if I get credit.

Okay I stayed until his corpse disappeared and got credit this time.

that's frustrating as hell. I hope they fix it.
I noticed the same thing. Anyway, yeah it's best to stick around a min just in case. Same thing with anything that gives whispers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ehud posted:

I've killed 4 or 5 world bosses on WT4 and realized I haven't gotten credit for any of them so far on my seasonal journey.

I'm fighting another one right now to see if I get credit.

Okay I stayed until his corpse disappeared and got credit this time.

that's frustrating as hell. I hope they fix it.

Yeah it's keyed off of the Whisper credit, so you've been leaving 5x tree of whisper points on the table every time too :negative:

Give it five miss-is-sippis. It'll feel like eternity but just like, take a deep breath in, then back out, then back in, and it's go time

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Soonmot posted:

Stick around until you get the pop-up saying your whisper level increased. Ibwas having the same issue because I was leaving the arena too quickly

yeah that seems to be the trigger

It’s just wild because it’s not like I insta TP out. I usually open my cache, look through my drops, etc.

It took a good 30 seconds or so for the tree of whispers pop, then I checked the progress bar and saw 1/15.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I donno why it takes so long for the whispers and the bubble and poo poo to appear it's extemely annoying. It's like half a minute every nm dungeon

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, I'm frustrated by the exact opposite issue. I keep wasting my Glyph XP because the node appears the INSTANT the dungeon is complete, and my attack chain happens to have the two buttons to select & full-spend the points, grrr

Maybe they can standardize like a 2 second count to make everybody's needs met

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I don't think they can

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Got to 100 and gave Uber Lilith a try and she instagibbed me after less than 20 seconds of fighting. Was hoping to hang in a little longer, but I am glad the game respected my time like that. HAGS, D4, see you next season

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
We cleared our highest NMD today (28) and are killing poo poo fine but occasionally ?something? happens and one of us instantly dies. I'm a Druid and just redid my stats for damage reduction, and my wife is an infinimist Necro,l with decent gear. I'm really not sure how we're gonna get higher than 30ish if post-death attacks can one shot us all the time.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

EC posted:

We cleared our highest NMD today (28) and are killing poo poo fine but occasionally ?something? happens and one of us instantly dies. I'm a Druid and just redid my stats for damage reduction, and my wife is an infinimist Necro,l with decent gear. I'm really not sure how we're gonna get higher than 30ish if post-death attacks can one shot us all the time.

Its a corpse bow, or a death effect, or one of a couple of other moves that do large amount of damage compared to the norm (some of the charge up arrow or the seeking thing from ghosts)

P much just hope it doesn't happen four times in the same dungeon while you're pushing. Stacking DR makes for an easier time at lower NMD levels but at a point with some classes like sorc you just gonna get one shot by that stuff regardless

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A few enemy attacks are overpowered despite originating from trash mobs to the point that NMD bosses are considered the easiest part of clearing them.

Hornets: Resists don't work and they only have the one attack so they spawn bees on top of anyone that has to melee them.

Corpse Ballistas: lol, lmao

And so on.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Trash enemies that are complete bullshit is a time honored Diablo tradition.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I remember my first D2 character was a zeal Paladin that got completely shredded in Hell by those beetles that spawned charged bolt on hit. Zeal did like 5 attacks for a click or something and that just caused the screen to get covered in charged bolt. That felt bullshit.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Any tips on finding Helltide Commanders? I don't spend much time in the Helltide zones so I'm not sure how they spawn.

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
Any ps5 guilds/clans/whatever d4 calls them? Found sweet sweet bliss in obliterating everything with a bone spear necro, but I just hit 70 and soloing the end game is turning into a slog.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Listerine posted:

Any tips on finding Helltide Commanders? I don't spend much time in the Helltide zones so I'm not sure how they spawn.

Look for the portal event within a helltide. They spawn at the very end of it.

You can find events using the helltide map websites.

https://helltides.com/

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Doomykins posted:

A few enemy attacks are overpowered despite originating from trash mobs to the point that NMD bosses are considered the easiest part of clearing them.

Hornets: Resists don't work and they only have the one attack so they spawn bees on top of anyone that has to melee them.

Corpse Ballistas: lol, lmao

And so on.

Corpse ballistas and there's a beast that charges are the two things I think I have died to as a mid 60s zookeeper necro so far. Everything else I can usually run away or chug a potion after I take a hit. Those two just pop me like a cheap balloon.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I absolutely adore this xp bonus.

It's night and day.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Listerine posted:

Big portal event, big tornado event, or fighting Krombopulos Michael

Reddit posters are stupid so if you try to look up the question there you'll see people insisting the guys that get summoned in meteor strikes count. They don't.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Listerine posted:

Northwest of Kyovoshad has a nice triangle of three events which seem to frequently be the events that end in a commander. My mate was stuck on that season goal for ages then we knocked it out in half an hour by cycling between those three events.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I absolutely adore this xp bonus.

It's night and day.

Posts like this make me wonder if my dopamine receptors are burnt out because leveling is still painfully slow in this game. 1-2 levels an hour in the mid-50s? And it will only slow down from here??

I easily got into WT4 last night at level 55 with my infinimist necro only to realize they added that level 60 minimum requirement to ancestral gear. I had wanted to finish the season journey and take on the Echo of Lilith but I just don't think I have another 30 hours of rote grinding in me.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I never played seasons in 3. In every season does everyone usually just play the "fun" class? Most of the hearts on I guess the unfun classes are pretty boring.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Captain Duvel posted:

I never played seasons in 3. In every season does everyone usually just play the "fun" class? Most of the hearts on I guess the unfun classes are pretty boring.

D3 has leaderboards based on greater rift performance, but they're split off so if you specifically want to play a Necro with the Bones of Rathma set (or another set, or no set) then you're competing against people on even footing. Most people still want to push as high as they can, though, so yeah when Wizard is hot you get a lot of Wizards that season.

It's pretty great because it really doesn't matter what gets nerfed/buffed in between seasons as you lose nothing changing your gameplan.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Captain Duvel posted:

In D2, apparently most people make a sorc for their first character of a new season. It's the best class and they can teleport and life is sunshine and lemonade.

Swilo posted:

Posts like this make me wonder if my dopamine receptors are burnt out because leveling is still painfully slow in this game. 1-2 levels an hour in the mid-50s? And it will only slow down from here??

I easily got into WT4 last night at level 55 with my infinimist necro only to realize they added that level 60 minimum requirement to ancestral gear. I had wanted to finish the season journey and take on the Echo of Lilith but I just don't think I have another 30 hours of rote grinding in me.

At level 32 I was getting a leveling at a pretty fast rate of clearing Domhaine Tunnels.

I recognize it is still relatively slow, but I also think it's pretty clearly still night and day with what was before it.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

flashman posted:

I donno why it takes so long for the whispers and the bubble and poo poo to appear it's extemely annoying. It's like half a minute every nm dungeon

for me it’s pretty much instant but it requires the mob to be fully ‘dead.’ like if you get the tomb lord and he has bone wall out, you have to wait for the bone wall to disappear. if you fight the trio of holy dudes, you have to kill the stream of small guys after, if you fight a spider you have to wait until all the webs disappear, etc.

Incremus posted:

Got to 100 and gave Uber Lilith a try and she instagibbed me after less than 20 seconds of fighting. Was hoping to hang in a little longer, but I am glad the game respected my time like that. HAGS, D4, see you next season

seems like you weren’t built to fight a single hard boss. there are some one shot mechanics, but even then some specs can survive those too. if you died to auto attacks in 20 seconds though, you might need to redo gear from ground up. not sure it’s a matter of time respect and more like you took you dude who just beat the campaign in hell at level 70 and went to uber tristram and died immediately

EC posted:

as others have said there are a few things that are bullshit like corpse bows, charging boars, and red ghosts, but as far as post death effects that you specifically called out, the answer is just don’t stand in them. you aren’t meant to take damage from those. if you have a lot of issues with them, trash any keys with fire enchanted and death pulse.otherwise your chest and legs should both be 4/4 defensive stats. + armor %, and the highest % damage reduction that is applicable to your build/closeness to enemies

Tiny Timbs posted:

Reddit posters are stupid so if you try to look up the question there you'll see people insisting the guys that get summoned in meteor strikes count. They don't.

i could have sworn they did, i was going to suggest looking for those too. i mean, their title near their hp bar is something like helltide commander. oh well god to know

Swilo posted:

it definitely shouldn’t be taking 1-2 hours/level maybe ever in the entire timeline. it also doesn’t slow down further into the levels, maybe from 99-100 but not before that. from one nmd that has monsters that are 8 levels above me with full xp ashes, 25% weekend bonus, and an elixir in wt4, one dungeon gets me 1 paragon point, a little more if i get good luck with cursed health wells, golden chests, or a good event. one nmd takes between 6 and 9 minutes. i think there are 4? paragon points per level? without the weekend bonus i’ma little below 1 paragon/dungeon. chain running nmds might not be what you are doing, or maybe you don’t have a build that’s good for that specifically but i don’t think it ever took 2 hours to gain one level when i was doing stuff with the intention of leveling

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

harrygomm posted:

it definitely shouldn’t be taking 1-2 hours/level maybe ever in the entire timeline. it also doesn’t slow down further into the levels, maybe from 99-100 but not before that. from one nmd that has monsters that are 8 levels above me with full xp ashes, 25% weekend bonus, and an elixir in wt4, one dungeon gets me 1 paragon point, a little more if i get good luck with cursed health wells, golden chests, or a good event. one nmd takes between 6 and 9 minutes. i think there are 4? paragon points per level? without the weekend bonus i’ma little below 1 paragon/dungeon. chain running nmds might not be what you are doing, or maybe you don’t have a build that’s good for that specifically but i don’t think it ever took 2 hours to gain one level when i was doing stuff with the intention of leveling

Everything else adds up except the time; it takes me 15-20 minutes per dungeon. I'm not cherry picking the ~meta~ dungeons so maybe I'm an idiot, but I also don't full clear them either. I die a couple times to all the usual bullshit (offscreen bows, dune stingers, standing in goop that's hidden by my own goop, the suuuuuuuuuuuuper delayed on-death explosions seemingly every mob gets, and just now a complete mystery death where nothing was within half a screen of me between packs and I didn't even get a message in my chat box about it), and since I'm a Necro that's like a 30+ second walk of shame each time because there's only ever one checkpoint per dungeon at the halfway mark. God forbid I have to backtrack because I didn't check a dead end, that could be another minute or two.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
oh those helltide meteor guys are Helltide Harbingers, not commanders. that’s what it was.

Swilo posted:

Everything else adds up except the time; it takes me 15-20 minutes per dungeon. I'm not cherry picking the ~meta~ dungeons so maybe I'm an idiot, but I also don't full clear them either. I die a couple times to all the usual bullshit (offscreen bows, dune stingers, standing in goop that's hidden by my own goop, the suuuuuuuuuuuuper delayed on-death explosions seemingly every mob gets, and just now a complete mystery death where nothing was within half a screen of me between packs and I didn't even get a message in my chat box about it), and since I'm a Necro that's like a 30+ second walk of shame each time because there's only ever one checkpoint per dungeon at the halfway mark. God forbid I have to backtrack because I didn't check a dead end, that could be another minute or two.

i’m playing hc so no deaths obviously but i’m not really in much danger pretty much ever any more. once i started getting ancestral gear with at least 2 out of the 4 stats i wanted i barely ever eat a hit that takes more than maybe 20% health

i don’t cherry pick too much, but i do avoid the worst of the worst dungeons (bastion of faith, halls of the damned, shifting city, faceless shrine, path of the blind) for having two or more bad things about them. not enough elite packs, bad objectives (bring 3 X to pedestal), bad layout (especially portal bullshit like shifting city), or mob types i don’t like. i’m doing maybe 2/3 of the keys that drop for me and not really needing to craft new ones except with really bad strings of luck.

i know some people had some lists of what all mob types were in each dungeon, i think Raxx has a spreadsheet with all that info, so you could scrap those keys that have a lot of mob types your build doesn’t do well with. i’ve been banging the drum a lot but especially if you’re at the point of being in your second or third paragon board, dropping all offensive stats from legs and chest, as well as aspects, you can get s huge bump in survivability and lose a negligible amount of damage since paragon covers additive stuff well

i’m getting about 5-5.5 dungeons done per potion with the ashes that increase its length to i think 45 minutes. i don’t do exhaustive inventory management, just sell stuff i won’t obviously use so i have enough space for the next dungeon. not picking up invokers, gems, sacred or lower items, items my class or spec can’t use (eg swords sa sorc or staves even though i can use them but they’re bad). i dump stuff that passes the sniff test in my chest and only do a thorough look through once i’m not worried about a potion timer. i’m sure a non trivial amount of my time savings too is just knowing at a glance the dungeons i do and don’t want to do as well as gear to pick up, paragon point leveling path, etc. no real time spent thinking about all that in general

and yeah also movement speed on boots + amulet were a priority for my necro, to the exclusion of dps even. it’s as good as any other defensive stat if you’re able to use it to keep good positioning to get out of sticky situations. whatever + MS you can aspect on your boots (+ ms on crit if you’re a crit build, + MS moving away from slow/CC if you’re not). slotting at least one movement ability, though obviously that’sa no go on necro, it’s part of the first thing i plan for each build

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 4, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Took out Ashava with about 5 other people on wt3 at L60, is this good? No idea what the group size is supposed to be but it didn't feel like a lot of people - even then we got it done well under time.

I really have no idea if I'm doing alright because I'm a pummel/poison druid, so my abilities either do nothing or instantly obliterate everything onscreen. If it's a helltide or a 5+ nightmare dungeon and they don't instantly kill everything then I'm usually in trouble, but also no idea if this is how powerful I'm 'supposed' to be at this level.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
They fixed the thing where you could fight Varshan over and over right? :( Finally did it on WT4 and even though he didn't drop a LOT of loot, it was mostly 800+ and it would be a nice source for potential upgrades having that fight be repeatable.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
as far as i know what they fixed was only the ability to reset him during the main quest part. you can craft Varshan Invokers and beat him in WT2 which gives you a recipe to make an invoker for WT3 which beating gives a recipe for WT4. as far as i know you can repeat that WT4 fight over and over as long as you craft more invokers. i don’t recall if that’s a version that exclusively drops ilvl 800+ or not but i think it is

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

harrygomm posted:

as far as i know what they fixed was only the ability to reset him during the main quest part. you can craft Varshan Invokers and beat him in WT2 which gives you a recipe to make an invoker for WT3 which beating gives a recipe for WT4. as far as i know you can repeat that WT4 fight over and over as long as you craft more invokers. i don’t recall if that’s a version that exclusively drops ilvl 800+ or not but i think it is

Oh cool between me and my wife we already have like five of those invokers. That'll give us something else to do while leveling up at least. Thanks!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is there anybody from a goon clan online accepting other goons? It's been a week or so and whispering the people in the OP is not making any progress.

GertLush
Aug 24, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

Is there anybody from a goon clan online accepting other goons? It's been a week or so and whispering the people in the OP is not making any progress.

ixo posted:

I made another goon clan for those of us with brain damage that are still playing and enjoying season one, since it's hard to find an officer in any of the existing ones. clan name is heavy goony buddies, pm GirthBrooks#11153 to get in if you want.

e: mention you're a goon, I get 5-10 dm's a day from selling stuff (I'em popular) so I won't automatically know you wanna guild invite

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am a bit frustrated that I did not get to do much gaming this weekend.

I wanted to clear my schedule and really get down to brass tacks about BIG gaming sessions.

Alas, real life gets in the way.

Gonna be dreaming of that xp bonus!

GertLush
Aug 24, 2005
I don't know how it would affect the game long-term, but it's going to feel pretty poo poo when they remove this weekend 25% xp bonus. Levelling 80+ has felt much better.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

The time is ripe for the Diablo fanbase to get properly acquainted with catch up mechanics and the long standing tradition of Blizzard to gently caress players out of all rewards earned by their tremendous nay, heruclean time investment and just hand everything out for free to newbies just beacuse

GertLush posted:

I don't know how it would affect the game long-term, but it's going to feel pretty poo poo when they remove this weekend 25% xp bonus. Levelling 80+ has felt much better.

basically what they'll do is just offer 25% exp bonus FOMO weeks in every season ad infinitum

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 5, 2023

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I gained like 9 levels this weekend. I'm going to log back in tonight and be really sad about the XP rate.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
And with my final checking-the-page-in-the-background-for-bosses-and-only-logging-in-then play session, I cap out S1 at level 90. So many points stand out, like the time I lost my first good weapon to the UI. Also the time I lost a super OP 820 weapon to the UI that I never found a replacement for. I loved spending 75-90 with no upgrades, despite having to carefully pick through every yellow.

These are all fantastic memories, but there can only be one MVP. It's this motherfucker, who spent like 20 levels of all cash being spent and never once rolling +vuln. I sold my stash and rolled it one last time:

Over 100m went into that, and not like it was taken away from something else - I never found another upgrade - so that's Diablo 4. See you all in season 3 when they've hopefully scrubbed out the last of the D2 smell.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I see they sent a poet. :allears:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How do I deal with this 60-70 slump? Everything in the world I try to fight is 5 or more levels below me so my exp is trash and leveling blows, but if I step up into the next world tier everything is like 10 levels above me and I get my face smashed in by anything that moves. I've been wandering around revealing every possible zone and getting all the 4 paragon point max regional rewards just to have something to do. Everything I fight that I can survive is so far beneath me I just watch my skeletons crush it all with no input, but also no reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Mr. Pickles posted:

The time is ripe for the Diablo fanbase to get properly acquainted with catch up mechanics and the long standing tradition of Blizzard to gently caress players out of all rewards earned by their tremendous nay, heruclean time investment and just hand everything out for free to newbies just beacuse

basically what they'll do is just offer 25% exp bonus FOMO weeks in every season ad infinitum

not supporting the industry, company, or practice, but aren’t XP boosts part of the way through a season the standard for games with battle passes? it has been in all that i’ve engaged with

Mailer posted:

And with my final checking-the-page-in-the-background-for-bosses-and-only-logging-in-then play session, I cap out S1 at level 90. So many points stand out, like the time I lost my first good weapon to the UI. Also the time I lost a super OP 820 weapon to the UI that I never found a replacement for. I loved spending 75-90 with no upgrades, despite having to carefully pick through every yellow.

These are all fantastic memories, but there can only be one MVP. It's this motherfucker, who spent like 20 levels of all cash being spent and never once rolling +vuln. I sold my stash and rolled it one last time:

Over 100m went into that, and not like it was taken away from something else - I never found another upgrade - so that's Diablo 4. See you all in season 3 when they've hopefully scrubbed out the last of the D2 smell.

you probably should have spent that money rerolling some 3/4 rings into 4/4 rings instead of spending 100M on one item. if that was literally the only piece of gear that wasn’t 4/4 and the one rerolled stat on all the other gear was already max then well, i’m not sure your point of being upset with not finding any upgrades holds any weight. if you never found a 3/4 ring from 60 to 90 well, you must have the worst luck in the game. i usually find at least one 3/4 for every slot every hour or two