Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Seconding this. Get Devotion, it's fantastic and exactly what you're looking for- the kind of game that will stick with you for years. It's available here after being driven off of other platforms for complicated reasons rooted in Chinese information control and targeted sabotage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Little Nightmares 1 and 2 are pretty good in that regard. Puzzle platformers in a spooky, hostile world.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/gameralphabeta/status/1697598548705968472

hell yes

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Observation by No Code isn't horror persay, but creepy atmosphere kind of weird Sci Fi

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Thirded. It's pretty fantastic.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The cheap rear end jumpscare at the start of Devotion soured me on the rest of it, even though it otherwise was exactly the kind of thing I love.

Definitely give it a try though, if it hits with you it'll really hit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Soma

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just beat Control. Pretty solid ending, loved the fake-out credits into dream sequence, that was great. Really funny how as soon as you beat the story you unlock an audio log called "endless grind" and a bunch of post-game Content lmao

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy poo poo what a loving art style, god drat.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Very much this. Soma has one of the most oppressive and bleak settings of a horror game I've ever played. There's no combat, just exploration of terror.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The caveat I need to apply for SOMA is that to enjoy it, you need to have some combination of:

a) a tolerance for the player character being a complete moron,

b) a lack of familiarity with relatively elementary concepts and thought experiments in philosophy,

c) have not read the lesswrong threads.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 3, 2023

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

that looks completely unreal. god drat

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

The caveat I need to apply for SOMA is that to enjoy it, you need to have some combination of:

a) a tolerance for the player character being a complete moron,

Yeah, nailed that. Loved the game but this part was constantly winding me up.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The MC is a little dim but he's also a brain damaged 20 something year old comic book shop cashier thrust into one of the most insanely harrowing experiences ever.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Goddamn that looks cool as hell, I love it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, somehow this turns into a big argument nearly every time I've seen it come up online but the main character in Soma has multiple layers of narrative reasoning for their extreme difficulty in keeping up with what's going on. I am aware that this may irk some people regardless, which is fine if that's not something you feel like putting up with. However I'd like to at least extend at least a little faith to the writers that it is purposeful, given that you are quite explicitly told multiple reasons that they are maybe not the most astute person in the story, some of which would be spoilers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Part of the issue with Soma is that the main thrust of the story is not actually that complex but since the main character is (as stated previously) kind of a dumbass and therefore it seems like you're missing stuff you're not.

The secondary character even goes "listen bro I don't know how much clearer I can say this" several times

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Is Devotion really that good? What's it play like? I haven't heard poo poo but the controversy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
simon does not act dim because he is brain damaged, he acts that way because frictional do not have a great deal of faith in the player's ability to follow basic existentialism. this is to the game's significant detriment. he loving sucks and i resented every minute trapped behind his eyeballs

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Is Devotion really that good? What's it play like? I haven't heard poo poo but the controversy

as horror walking sims go it's among the best, but it does have a couple early ooga-booga parts that feel out of place and cliche compared to the rest to its content

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Part of the issue with Soma is that the main thrust of the story is not actually that complex but since the main character is (as stated previously) kind of a dumbass and therefore it seems like you're missing stuff you're not.

The secondary character even goes "listen bro I don't know how much clearer I can say this" several times

I think it works. I would have had trouble to relating to someone more competent, because I would probably seem just as stupid when thrown into a scenario that outlandish.

I also never got the criticism of the premise being too basic or whatever. It's not that the subject matter has never been explored, it's that the exploration of those concepts has been wrapped into an easily digestible package. The execution is what makes it good.

Seems like an unfair criticism, or even an accidental compliment that it gets held to such a high standard. Sure Soma isn't the first sci fi to explore these ideas about existence and consciousness, but the way it's presented is interesting and unique. I'd compare it to the movie Ex Machina. It's not exploring completely original ideas but it takes some pretty heady stuff and puts it into some stylish, easy to follow drama which makes it stand out.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Oxxidation posted:

simon does not act dim because he is brain damaged, he acts that way because frictional do not have a great deal of faith in the player's ability to follow basic existentialism. this is to the game's significant detriment. he loving sucks and i resented every minute trapped behind his eyeballs

See, I respect this take, and I believe that it is largely correct, even if I personally had more patience for the conceit.

What's weird is when people claim that the character is dumb on accident because the writers are bad, when the game is pretty clear on at least trying to give itself an excuse to hammer you with really rudimentary existentialism repeatedly (whether or not it's good or morally copacetic to over-explain the character's difficulty to the degree they do is a separate issue...). I personally think the game is still cool for its setting and atmosphere. That said, I will fully admit that listening to, like, half of any given Alan Watts lecture is probably going to be more edifying for philosophy. :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

veni veni veni posted:

I think it works. I would have had trouble to relating to someone more competent, because I would probably seem just as stupid when thrown into a scenario that outlandish.

I also never got the criticism of the premise being too basic or whatever. It's not that the subject matter has never been explored, it's that the exploration of those concepts has been wrapped into an easily digestible package. The execution is what makes it good.

Seems like an unfair criticism, or even an accidental compliment that it gets held to such a high standard. Sure Soma isn't the first sci fi to explore these ideas about existence and consciousness, but the way it's presented is interesting and unique. I'd compare it to the movie Ex Machina. It's not exploring completely original ideas but it takes some pretty heady stuff and puts it into some stylish, easy to follow drama which makes it stand out.

I don't disagree, I think it's interesting to have a story from the perspective of someone who got the short end of the stick in that kind of process. It has some really good story hits too, like the reveal of what you body actually looks like and things like that. It's just something that should be treated like what it is, a relatively shallow read of a philosophical concept. Which is fine, it just spends a bit too much of it's runtime playing the "you get it, right" game.

I don't think the character was dumb on accident because the story wouldn't exist without it. If he fully understood the consequences of what was going on then the plot would come to a grinding halt.

VVV I just don't think they sold that. Simon comes across not as someone in denial but as truly not understanding what is going on at multiple points in the story.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 3, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think a lot of the criticism really fails to take into account how easily people can fall into avoidant/denial mindsets. Simon is a bit slow on the uptake but he absolutely knows there's no coin flip, he just cannot under any circumstance let himself think about it which is why he takes comfort in the whole concept. I used to have some bad issues with avoiding problems in my life and I really could feel that with Simon.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I liked the angler fish scare

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Another thing people kind of gloss over in regards to Simon Is that he isn't just brain damaged: but his brain scan is outdated, old, technology compared to modern ones like the other characters you interact with. It's referred to as a "Legacy Scan" that they used as the basic building block to get to the point they are now with the brain scan tech. So he's just a low-rez rear end 480p dude hanging out with high quality 4k people.

Oxxidation posted:

as horror walking sims go it's among the best, but it does have a couple early ooga-booga parts that feel out of place and cliche compared to the rest to its content

I think this is the actual, mechanical, explanation: but they wrapped it up in a few layers of narrative explanation at least. I enjoy Soma a lot though, it's probably my favorite game in that specific genre of amnesia-like horror games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whether or not you like Simon is totally subjective, but I really disagree that it was a failure on the writers part. People always blame it on the writing while I feel like they just didn't like the character.

I liked him and found his dumb rear end to be very relatable.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Soma is a game that really benefits from a second play. There's so much to take in that's doled out a bunch of different ways through the whole 10-15 hours. If you're slow playing it like me and go through it in small sections at a time over the course of weeks it's even harder to keep track of. I replayed it in 2020 and really got a lot more out of the story.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The average person absolutely does not understand that brain uploading doesn't equal continuity of consciousness and acting like this is some uniquely underwritten aspect of a character instead of just being a normal thing for a normal person is really weird. If you understand that, you're the exception, not the norm. Sorry, or I guess good job?

"Why does he ignore all the evidence" because Simon is a normal person in the bleakest situation imaginable of course he's going to keep doing the dumb and dumber So You're Saying There's A Chance bit constantly. What's the alternative?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
making him shut the gently caress up for five minutes, about anything at all, would have been appreciated

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nah.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
less glibly, soma really called into relief why so many horror protagonists are either mute or pathologically detached from events. simon is a regular guy - not brain damaged, not a "low-definition copy," just a nasally schmo in love with his own voice - who reacts as a regular guy would, which means he is constantly treading and retreading basic points when he's not making slack-jawed commentary on everything he sees. it might have been a deliberate choice from frictional but it murdered the atmosphere for me. catherine was a much better fit for the game's events and i guess soma is her own ironic hell, having to suffer the presence of idiots who don't understand computers in life and death

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I personally welcome more complete dumbass protagonists because it aids my immersion.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Enemabag Jones posted:

I personally welcome more complete dumbass protagonists because it aids my immersion.

Same

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hopefully the rumors are true that the developers are hard at work on the sequel, Bofa

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Putting my fate in your hands here, chat. Now that I've beaten all the Remedy games not called Quantum Break, should I start Dead Rising or RE4?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

mutantIke posted:

Putting my fate in your hands here, chat. Now that I've beaten all the Remedy games not called Quantum Break, should I start Dead Rising or RE4?

RE4 and it’s not even close

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I mean I'm not asking which is a better game I'm asking which one I should play

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dead Rising

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dead Rising rules so hard. Shame about the sequels after 2 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
ok just looked on steam and DR is 8 gigabytes while RE4 (the original, mind you) is triple that so it looks like I'm gonna be doing all kinds of crazy mall poo poo