Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

I love the idea that from now on and forever, people will automatically substitute 'Lie-nus' for the Linus in LTT.

Also predict that in his usual jokey cutesy (to himself) narcissistic fashion, he will ignore the Madison issues and double down on dropping CPUs on the floor and picking them up and looking at the viewer and saying 'ah still usable'

"L is for narcissist." :c00lbert:

Possibly the most accurate statement in this whole mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

so despite being unsubbed from Lienus, I am suddenly getting bombarded with suggested videos.

And honestly, could you possibly have a less-appealing premise than "all-temu battlestation" what with how you can't go an entire video without a temu midroll?

I watched it and most of the computer parts weren't even from Temu lol

He put in an LTT stock PSU, mobo, CPU, and GPU.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The Anit-WEF click bait title is a bit much linus.

Jesus christ.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

LTT has a new video about the Apple Newton featuring Emily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_e_zW8EXoY

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Eat up martha

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

LTT has a new video about the Apple Newton featuring Emily

thank you for sharing the latest linus technology tips video!

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Emily talking about vintage technology is pretty much the only LTT content I still want to watch so I'm very conflicted

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I would also say there’s been a million videos on the Newton that’ll probably be more in depth and interesting than a LTT one.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

chaleski posted:

Emily talking about vintage technology is pretty much the only LTT content I still want to watch so I'm very conflicted

Same but the thumbnail is just Linus gurning over a Newton so I didn't watch because I assume the video's mostly going to be Linus' idiot takes. Sorry Emily; if you're reading this, I think you should go independent if you can.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This is probably a controversial opinion, but while I like Emily, I don't think she has the talent to be successful independently. Her content is best when she's paired with another party and can play the straight woman in the interaction. Her just talking about old tech would be interesting to some people but there's other people out there that do that already and have a better personality for it.

She already has her own YouTube channel I believe, and unless she has a non-compete, I don't see why we couldn't get both types of content from her though.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
isnt temu know for selling cc numbers? i've seen a poo poo ton of complaints about people getting numerous charges after shopping with temu.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Romes128 posted:

isnt temu know for selling cc numbers? i've seen a poo poo ton of complaints about people getting numerous charges after shopping with temu.

Temu is just the Wish.com version of Aliexpress.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Temu is the app everyone's just racing to get everything they can out of before they inevitably collapse.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

njsykora posted:

I would also say there’s been a million videos on the Newton that’ll probably be more in depth and interesting than a LTT one.

Yeah, like this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxRi34PqWo

(More of a documentary interview film, but a good watch)

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Romes128 posted:

I've had no issues with that with my Temu orders, but I am intentionally using an intermediate pay service instead of my CC directly. If you have a Google Pay or PayPal or whatever account, I would definitely put that in-between you and any of these new online stores, and Temu is no exception. It's a little extra CYA.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SpartanIvy posted:

She already has her own YouTube channel I believe, and unless she has a non-compete, I don't see why we couldn't get both types of content from her though.

Wasn't this a thing Madison & other ex-LTT people were talking about during the last week? They didn't have non-competes*, but were strongly encouraged not to do independent streaming and stuff that would allow them to build an independent fan base.

*does Canada even allow that type of thing?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Klyith posted:

*does Canada even allow that type of thing?

Probably one of those things where it's "no but you'd have to go to court about it and who has that kind of money"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SpartanIvy posted:

This is probably a controversial opinion, but while I like Emily, I don't think she has the talent to be successful independently. Her content is best when she's paired with another party and can play the straight woman in the interaction. Her just talking about old tech would be interesting to some people but there's other people out there that do that already and have a better personality for it.

The problem is that Emily is better than LTT. While it’s possible you may be right about her overall ability to go solo, she should team up with someone else then

Steve, hire Emily

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve enthuses about new kinds of graph for 15 minutes before briefly talking about Starfield.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raf_Qo60Gi4

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Graphs Nexus

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Chartgore is my favorite new term thanks to this very thread

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Did someone say gore? :razz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0RgNzQacaQ

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

njsykora posted:

Steve enthuses about new kinds of graph for 15 minutes before briefly talking about Starfield.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raf_Qo60Gi4

It's Bethesda, the charts are more interesting. :colbert:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I hear you like charts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O68GmaY7qw

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Well that makes my 3700x barely adequate (more like inadequate) and i'm not forking out for new kit for the next few years... i'll console myself with Avorion. :shrug:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Just Another Lurker posted:

Well that makes my 3700x barely adequate (more like inadequate) and i'm not forking out for new kit for the next few years... i'll console myself with Avorion. :shrug:

Technically you should console yourself with the bethesda fallout games :eng101:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fyi outside cities, where you’ll spend most of your time, the game isn’t that cpu demanding. Though you will spend big chunks of time there.

Also funny to see my 11600K (and even the 11400F) matching the performance of 5800X3D.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I don't know what bethesda are doing where my CPU will apparently cap my performance to ~35fps no matter what I do, but I can get 120fps in other common benchmark titles and never otherwise struggle to break 60

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I mean the new cities are massive, and in the ones I’ve been to, the wilderness surrounding them isn’t gated by invisible walls. You can freely hop out of the city and into the wilds without a loading screen. I’m kind of surprised people aren’t making a bigger deal out of this.

Idk how well it’s optimized but it has every right to be demanding imo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Or like, wait a month or two for some performance patches, because taking the day 1 performance results of any game seriously is silly. Doubly so a bethesda game.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I mean the new cities are massive, and in the ones I’ve been to, the wilderness surrounding them isn’t gated by invisible walls. You can freely hop out of the city and into the wilds without a loading screen. I’m kind of surprised people aren’t making a bigger deal out of this.
This hasn't been a new thing in open worlds for a long time.
It is, by a mile, not as visually impressive as say, CP77
e:

Klyith posted:

Or like, wait a month or two for some performance patches, because taking the day 1 performance results of any game seriously is silly. Doubly so a bethesda game.
I kinda imagine they discover there's a couple of processes wildly out of line causing this and can improve those figures a lot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Khablam posted:

This hasn't been a new thing in open worlds for a long time.

to this scale, i don't think so.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

to this scale, i don't think so.
You could walk from one end of the skyrim map to the other in 2011. In rage in 2008(?). CP77 is a completely open map that goes from wide open spaces, to miles later being a dense highly detailed city with people. All that's changed is the fidelity of the assets and rendering, the streaming tech isn't a new thing and shouldn't be causing massive performance tanks, and if it did it would be VRAM limitations.

I'm reminded of a fan patch for a game, which I forget the name of, that discovered you could 2x your performance by just reducing animation complexity when the models were in their lowest LOD. I assume there's some very needless crunching going on somewhere.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Klyith posted:

This is me, with my 5600x and 3060. I'm sure I can run it, but I'm plenty happy to wait for patches/mods.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is everybody in the Games forum and Reddit that says a game runs perfectly smoothly on their Voodoo 2

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

No worries, i would never be buying it at the normal price anyway, happy to wait for a sale next year if required. :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No Ivy Bridge CPUs on the chart but I'll just assume they can do around 50 fps :colbert:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Fallouts and Elder Scrolls games were also brutal on cpus. Although apparently memory/cache speed usually makes a big difference as well

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I'm trying to get one more year out of the 3900X my old job paid for before I do an AM5 refresh. No thanks to you, Steve Nexus, now I hate DDR4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Khablam posted:

You could walk from one end of the skyrim map to the other in 2011.

You could do that in Operation Flashpoint in 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIBHU0R2uw

The video has nothing to do with Starfield, since it just came out, but it's interesting to compare map sizes in various games.