Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

alexandriao posted:

That's why you tub it up after plating? :confused:

It keeps the food warm and then you only have to put it in the fridge if nobody wants seconds.

What if they eat everything and there are no leftovers then? Then you've dirtied up a second dish for nothing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Vandar posted:

What if they eat everything and there are no leftovers then? Then you've dirtied up a second dish for nothing!

Yeah but it takes so little time and effort to clean because all the dirt is fresh (And I say this as someone who sometimes has ridiculously low energy days and has pain moving)

Like, oil binds with plastic (iirc), proteins bind to surfaces and become less malleable. Some of this is sortable with hot water but when it's fresh is better

e: also how often does that occur. surely you just alter the amounts you portion out over time to a point where you kinda know how much you're going to eat??

i dont see how this is a huge "got ya" as its a rare edge case anyway

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Aug 27, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Make more dishes to avoid soaking the one dish for 10m while you do the rest of the cleanup. That's the efficient way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

alexandriao posted:

e: also how often does that occur. surely you just alter the amounts you portion out over time to a point where you kinda know how much you're going to eat??

People can serve themselves because they know how much they want.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gaius Marius posted:

Please don't let dishes accumulate for a week. Just do them.

No.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Please don't let dishes accumulate for a week. Just do them.

if i eat spaghetti out of the same pot that i use to cook spaghetti then it is never technically dirty because boiling

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gravid Topiary posted:

if i eat spaghetti out of the same pot that i use to cook spaghetti then it is never technically dirty because boiling

It's a philosophy only the evolved few can fully embrace :hai:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My PHUO is that the dishwasher does a bad job of cleaning dishes and the dishes are never as clean as just scrubbing them by hand.

They try to make you buy 3 or 4 different toxic chemicals for your machine to compensate but I will not fall for it

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Clean your filter.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Dishwashers are more water efficient, clean better and save you manual labor. Use them.

And use them properly. You need to put in pre-wash detergent. Use the boxed powdered stuff. It's cheaper and just as effective as gels and tablets.

Watch the Technology Connections videos on the topic. He explains it better.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

"pre wash detergent" occurs 0 times in the bible

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Killingyouguy! posted:

"pre wash detergent" occurs 0 times in the bible

And look how things turned out

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
PHMO: Photorealism in art is technically impressive but incredibly boring in an age where cameras come with every phone. Artists should eschew realism in favor of stylization

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thetoughestbean posted:

PHMO: Photorealism in art is technically impressive but incredibly boring in an age where cameras come with every phone. Artists should eschew realism in favor of stylization

The funniest thing is that most of these artists are drawing from photographs anyway.

The problem is — they almost never have experience drawing from life, so they dont know how to correct for the skew of the camera lens, which leads to this uncanny valley effect where their art looks just... off, somehow.

If they actually wanted "better than photorealism" they'd draw from life more and that would help them both notice the perspective skew and correct for it when they do draw from photos, and they could truly reach a height of their art being more correct than a photo — but they never loving bother

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

thetoughestbean posted:

I had an art instructor who abhorred highly-skilled, technically-impressive realistic drawing.

"If you want a photograph, just take a loving photograph. We're here to make art!"

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

alexandriao posted:

The funniest thing is that most of these artists are drawing from photographs anyway.

The problem is — they almost never have experience drawing from life, so they dont know how to correct for the skew of the camera lens, which leads to this uncanny valley effect where their art looks just... off, somehow.

If they actually wanted "better than photorealism" they'd draw from life more and that would help them both notice the perspective skew and correct for it when they do draw from photos, and they could truly reach a height of their art being more correct than a photo — but they never loving bother

Can you give any examples? I'm actually really curious about that. I follow quite a few artists who draw in a fairly photorealistic style, but I don't think I've ever seen someone do something like wide angle distortion without explicitly intending to do that effect.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pickle ball sucks. Take up a real sport like bodybuilding

oldpainless has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Aug 30, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Pickle all sucks. Take up a real sport like bodybuilding

How is he gonna find time to do that when he's making pudding at 4 o'clock every morning?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There are some good pickles out there

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Some good balls too.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

oldpainless posted:

Pickle ball sucks. Take up a real sport like bodybuilding

I dunno, pickle ball at least doesn’t leave a deformed mockery of human anatomy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I dunno, pickle ball at least doesn’t leave a deformed mockery of human anatomy

Saying poo poo like this just makes you sound like a resentful dork.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Give it a few years for things to get real competitive. Throw in some sponsorship money and people will start intentionally turning themselves into mutants with vastly overdeveloped pickle ball muscles while letting all their non-pickle ball groups atrophy.

I have no idea what the pickle ball muscles are and I will block anyone who attempts to educate me.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Pickle ball is the new Crossfit.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

Saying poo poo like this just makes you sound like a resentful dork.

I’m not resentful of fit people, I just know that bodybuilding can become an incredibly destructive hobby

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I don't know what pickle ball is but it sounds like it's played at nursing homes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m not resentful of fit people, I just know that bodybuilding can become an incredibly destructive hobby

I always call people I don't resent Deformed Mockery's of Human Anatomy.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Alright let's settle this with a deadlifting competition

Punkinhead has a new favorite as of 11:38 on Aug 30, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
You're on.

*cracks all 14 knuckles on my 3 hands and hops up the bar on my single oversized foot.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ishikabibble posted:

Can you give any examples? I'm actually really curious about that. I follow quite a few artists who draw in a fairly photorealistic style, but I don't think I've ever seen someone do something like wide angle distortion without explicitly intending to do that effect.

i don't make a habit of remembering terrible artists and following their work, unfortunately 😅

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I do remember a paper from about 5 years ago where researchers were investigating how to replicate the "human eye" image with a stereo camera and AI, but they were only partially successful.

And there's hella resources about why drawing from life makes you a better artist versus drawing from photos. My personal source is that both my folks are semi prestigious (within their fields) art teachers who passed on their learnings

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Elissimpark posted:

You're on.

*cracks all 14 knuckles on my 3 hands and hops up the bar on my single oversized foot.

This is what steroid abuse does to you

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

thetoughestbean posted:

This is what steroid abuse does to you

Sounding real resentful of steroid abusers right now smh

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DJ Khaled is one of the best people. Terrible music tho

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

alexandriao posted:

And there's hella resources about why drawing from life makes you a better artist versus drawing from photos.

For me, the biggest draw of art is to see the world from someone else's perspective. Don't show me a bland photo. Show me what you see when you look at the world. Even good photographers do this.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PHUO: I'm sick of everything being a podcast these days. Sometimes I just want something tightly edited that's actually focused on a topic, instead of spending three hours listening to some annoying bros shooting the poo poo about it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Powered Descent posted:

PHUO: I'm sick of everything being a podcast these days. Sometimes I just want something tightly edited that's actually focused on a topic, instead of spending three hours listening to some annoying bros shooting the poo poo about it.

I'm sorry, your only options now are boring 2 hour long podcasts or 10 minute youtube videos with chaotic editing and yelling.

Or perhaps I could interest you in a 12 hour video essay about a video game you hate?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Powered Descent posted:

Watch the news

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Powered Descent posted:

listen to better podcasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Only finding something in podcast form is wild to me since it’s usually the last stop in my experience, after someone has already written the article and already did vids, at least I’d we are talking about journalism which I think we are.