Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

can people stop loving submitting the stupid taylor swift lover's house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And while they are at it, can they stop scouring any and all popular media to find something LEGO hasn't done yet in the hopes their crappy little stud.io project will get made?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I like the concept of the book nook

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Skios posted:

Anyway, Second 2023 Ideas review is up. Very mixed bag this time around, with very little that even looks practical. Also, four Taylor Swift-themed sets, three of which are based on the same music video. And the first Muppets Theatre set suggested is so much better than the second one.

Amazingly you miscounted and there are actually *four* nearly identical sets for the Lover video, plus one for the Eras tour.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How are there 5 Taylor Swift sets.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I was legit going “What, two lovers hou- three, who the gently caress needs- four? What’s the big dea-oh come ON” as I scrolled down which was kind of funny in itself.

No real bangers but if they tighten up the plane crash that could be neat also I’d like a Lego bicycle please and thank you

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Have you posted a stud.io file or instructions for that pit smoker anywhere. I checked your rebirckable page and didn't see it. I'd love to build it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was going to go through again and take a serious look, but why are there so many doubles? Two Phineas and Ferb, two Red Bull, two Muppets.

At least one of the lover houses has some actual effort put into it. One of them is literally like 5 minutes of throwing pieces together in studio in various colors. Almost as bad as that ugly as gently caress submission for Queen a few years ago. I really wish people would vote for a set based on it being actually good and not just because it's an IP they like and someone put the barest minimum effort into designing it.

Edit: I just looked at the previous set of potential sets and there were two shrek swamps in that one, so I guess this one just didn't make the cutoff in time. And there was a lover house in that one too. They seriously need to ban using existing IP, this is just absurd.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 4, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I like the New York Corner, Talespin (although it’s way too big), and the book nook.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

I was going to go through again and take a serious look, but why are there so many doubles?

I answered it already. People are looking for any existing IP that is remotely popular to try to make some $$ on an Ideas set. It's that simple. And that cynical.

I'm surprised there isn't a Tintin submission every single time. That's gotta be one of the biggest IPs that isn't done yet. I know I've seen one before.

Probably because Tintin isn't really big in America.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Cojawfee posted:

How are there 5 Taylor Swift sets.

I'm guessing with Taylor Swift specifically, they saw the success of the BTS set and looked for the next most rabid pop music fanbase?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I’m a sucker for the hungry caterpillar build. :3:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hey guys, I made my own Lover House Ideas submission.

Give me vote. Vote me, vote now, me a vote needing a lot now.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

It didn't occur to me that people could cynically just IP hunt to try and get a sweet cut of some of the proceeds, but... of course that's what this is. Of course.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dogen posted:

Every ideas round up is worse than the last.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The winners get money? I thought they just got the set for free or something.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I was going to go through again and take a serious look, but why are there so many doubles? Two Phineas and Ferb, two Red Bull, two Muppets.

At least one of the lover houses has some actual effort put into it. One of them is literally like 5 minutes of throwing pieces together in studio in various colors. Almost as bad as that ugly as gently caress submission for Queen a few years ago. I really wish people would vote for a set based on it being actually good and not just because it's an IP they like and someone put the barest minimum effort into designing it.

Edit: I just looked at the previous set of potential sets and there were two shrek swamps in that one, so I guess this one just didn't make the cutoff in time. And there was a lover house in that one too. They seriously need to ban using existing IP, this is just absurd.

or at least the IP poo poo needs a separate pipeline for submissions

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cojawfee posted:

Hey guys, I made my own Lover House Ideas submission.

Give me vote. Vote me, vote now, me a vote needing a lot now.

Hey now, to be a real Lego Ideas contender, that needs A) more custom prints; and B) a minifig mugging for the camera in the thumbnail.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I actually like the look of the snowy house thing, just wish it was like 10% of the size.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Even besides any money, it’s valuable internet points to have a Legos Ideas set get the votes for consideration.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I do like that more minifig-ish scale Redbull Car, cause it looks like a better version of the Speed Champions Mercedes W12 model. But that's it, it can just be a Speed Champions.

The Spartan Helmet looks decent for what it is, the Book Nook is cute, The Train bookends are cool; and the bike has potential.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What percentage residuals do the professional Lego designers get?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm not a train guy, but I know there are folks here who are definitely afficianados. So, no love for that first model on the list? Looks pretty cool to my untrained eye.

See what I did there? I engineered that whole joke.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like the Greenhouse, but I don't buy big sets anymore really, so I tend towards the compact ones.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I can't imagine this is more than 5 figures, even on the most popular ideas sets

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The chameleon is really the only one I like, and it's kinda ehhh. I like the idea of a Very Hungry Caterpillar, but it needs to be bigger, like at least 3x that scale.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I like venice and sea life. what's with the taylor swift thing? is that a lego inside joke?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I feel like you're all being too harsh:
Big boy
Bookends
KSP modular
Mars landing
Green house
Steamboat
Gumball
All good.

Chess too but I'd never buy

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Voice of Labor posted:

I like venice and sea life. what's with the taylor swift thing? is that a lego inside joke?

After BTS I'm not surprised

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Voice of Labor posted:

Taylor Swift is insanely popular

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Really digging that Muppets stage with the swapped set pieces. Really smart idea.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If more than one of the exact same idea gets 10k votes, they should automatically scrap it. It's clearly not an original idea if that many people submit the same thing.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I wonder how this works with IP.

Like if they make a Taylor Swift set she'll obviously get a chunk but how do you pick someone from the six Lover IDEAS submissions that are all derivative of her copyright already.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ideas had a good run but honestly they should just make every review 10 or 15 in-house designs that people vote on to make into a real set. No more IP grabs, no more 50-submission review slates.

Just let the designers you already have go a little wild.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

If more than one of the exact same idea gets 10k votes, they should automatically scrap it. It's clearly not an original idea if that many people submit the same thing.

i can see resubmitting an idea when it feels like the original submitter didnt nearly do the set justice, but yeah 10k would be a nice filter. or at least multiple versions of the same thing shouldnt be in the same drat cycle

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My proposed rule would be no existing IP and you can't use the power of suggestion by naming your submission "the" anything if it's the kind of building that would exist anywhere. The Laundromat, The Library, etc. What of the MOCs the builder might create independently? Naming it "the" whatever precludes the possibility of other such buildings existing in the builders' Lego town- official sets should enable, not forestall possibilities! Notice the official sets are not named in such a fashion; it's never The Police Station or The Brick Bank etc.

Dokapon Findom fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 5, 2023

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Dokapon Findom posted:

My proposed rule would be no existing IP and you can't use the power of suggestion by naming your submission "the" anything if it's the kind of building that would exist anywhere. The Laundromat, The Library, etc. What of the MOCs the builder might create independently? Naming it "the" whatever precludes the possibility of other such buildings existing in the builders' Lego town- official sets should enable, not forestall possibilities! Notice the official sets are not named in such a fashion; it's never The Police Station or The Brick Bank etc.

Indeed, it’s not “The Jazz Club,” it’s

J
A
Z
Z
C
L
U
B

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just saw this pop up on my Instagram. I don’t know if this is the same company as WickedBrick, but one of their display stands has a faint outline of the WickedBrick logo.

Either way, it’s in the US so shipping is faster, prices seems better too.

https://brickcessories.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

obi_ant posted:

Just saw this pop up on my Instagram. I don’t know if this is the same company as WickedBrick, but one of their display stands has a faint outline of the WickedBrick logo.

Either way, it’s in the US so shipping is faster, prices seems better too.

https://brickcessories.com/

Jesus Tapdancing gently caress. I just got that wall hanging Speed Champions display last week. I ordered it in June from WickedBrick for more than that site.

I'm killing it lately