Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
CM Punk worked himself into a shoot, brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Seems like a situation where even if he had a point (I’d be pissed if people were accusing me of doing stuff I didn’t do too), he was such an rear end in a top hat about it that it kind of cancels it out.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I haven't watched wrestling in over 20 years but kind of keep tabs on it. So last time I heard about CM punk he was some kind of indy darling everyone loved.

Is the gist that he got big and is now some Hogan-esque rear end in a top hat titty baby who demands he has complete control over every match he's in and what his opponents can say?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
hulk hogan sued wcw because he was called bald and i still think he has thicker skin than punk lol

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, IIRC Punk claimed that the antibiotics the WWE doctor prescribed him for his :airquote:MRSA:airquote: were making him poo poo himself.

Wrestling has more "pooped my pants" stories than GBS.

This reminded me of three. In brief:

1.) On Total Divas, the gimmick for the episode was the girls laughing at Natalya for peeing herself in the ring. Nikki Bella tells John Cena about it in a real gossipy tone, and John gets this real serious look on his face and says "I pooped in the ring once. It was in Canada." and proceeds to tell her how he had food poisoning and couldn't hold it in during a match.

2.) Legends of Wrestling roundtable on Giants. Pat Patterson told a story about Haystacks Calhoun pooping on an airplane. They were flying to Japan and had a layover in Hawaii. Haystacks spent the day drinking pineapple and coconut juice and eating mounds of BBQ. It was a small charter flight. Haystacks had to go. Haystacks Calhoun was a mountain of a man. 6'4'' and 600lbs. He couldn't fit in the bathroom, so a flight attendant had to get paper bags and hold them open for him. Pat said it was so loud you could hear it over the plane engines. After telling the story, he paused and said "...Andre would get an enema before flying to Japan because he couldn't fit either."

3.) Andre the Giant wrestles Bam Bam Bigelow in Mexico. Bam Bam said Andre was drinking tequila and clamato juice all day. He had this spot where he pins his opponent in the ring corner and shoves his rear end into his midsection, delivering a devastating body blow. Bam Bam said as soon as he did this, he lost control.

He delivers a giant groan, "Ohhhh noooo" and starts farting so loud Bam Bam's entire body reverberated from the impact. While he's still stunned, Andre has diarrhea while Bam Bam is still pinned to the ring post by Andre's rear end. He said it just kept coming. People at ringside were puking. Bad News Brown just runs to the locker room in terror. They still finished their match, because Andre is a professional.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sid poo poo his trunks at Wrestlemania 13 and Undertaker still had to tombstone him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince poo poo his pants backstage farting to gross someone out and it was too late to change clothes so he walked out on live television with pants full of poo poo

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Let me add that, in a 100% class act, while bullshit was going down in the back, Chris Jericho filled the Bucks place in the scrum and gave a clean, professional interview with exactly zero preparation or forewarning.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
destroyed by andre's devastating farts

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think it was also Bam Bam who said if Andre didn't like you, he'd rear end press you to the ground during a match and then sit on you and fart.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

I haven't watched wrestling in over 20 years but kind of keep tabs on it. So last time I heard about CM punk he was some kind of indy darling everyone loved.

Is the gist that he got big and is now some Hogan-esque rear end in a top hat titty baby who demands he has complete control over every match he's in and what his opponents can say?

He was always a bit of diva stretching back to his indy days. However, this was usually outweighed by his talent and the fact that most of his backstage "opponents" weren't saints either.

The problem was he got markedly more unprofessional while picking on the "wrong" targets and his body was starting to fail him as he aged.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Punk’s feud with MJF is easily the highlight of his run with AEW, and it’s the kind of feud people will be talking about for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CbZQpmacJI

It starts off so insipid, but gets amazingly real by the end.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

Not even that he demands total control of everything, that's a very Hogan thing. Phil just has a giant chip on his shoulder, one that's easy to knock off with a careless comment, something that's only grown worse as time has passed.

We cheered to see it when he was the underdog punching up at Vince and Hunter and WWE. But when he came into AEW and stood on the top himself, it didn't take long for him to start punching down at the guys below him.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

CM Punk is living proof of how some folks will do absolutely God-damned anything other than honestly addressing and processing their feelings in any way

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

In the end the only one CM Punk is working is himself.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah my read of Punk is that he died of a terminal case of Gen-X

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I mean, look in his eyes. What do you see? He'll tell you that one and one makes three.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
punk is the kind of person that cant let any perceived slight no matter how minor it is go and will escalate it in the stupidest way possible

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he's a wrestler

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
If CM Punk did come back to WWE, do you think wrestling fans would even care? I would think most people would just be tired of his bullshit.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its unlikely he'll be back at wwe anytime soon because he burned all his bridges and Vince isn't a mark for Punk like Tony is but if he did end up back in WWE it would be similar to his AEW run popular at first but people steadily get sick of him as his ego runs rampant and he gets released after getting into a fist fight with cody rhodes

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Oh he'd be dancing in a dress with Brodus Clay if WWE got it's way. Vince would turn the whole thing into humiliation.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Bam Bam said as soon as he did this, he lost control.

lmfao

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Bad News Brown just runs to the locker room in terror.

A sentence I never expected to read. I want this to have been the real reason Brown pulled a gun on Andre.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Wrestling has more "pooped my pants" stories than GBS.

"Big Johnny, mah mufflah fell out" - "The American Dream", Dusty Rhodes

E: also, on the second Punk writeup, I should note that he did not call out Kenny Omega during the media scrum. He poo poo on Hangman Page, the Bucks, and (to a lesser extent) MJF, but never mentioned Omega in any way. His main beef was with the other three as he felt they were either going into business for themselves (Page), or else were running to the dirtsheets--mainly Dave Meltzer--with stories about him trying to get Colt Cabana demoted/fired (the Bucks). In fact, it was reported that immediately after Brawl Out, he supposedly went to Omega and said that he had no problems with him (and it was rumored at points for some time afterwards, when everyone had returned from being suspended, that Omega was willing to work an Elite/CMFTR program, but only if the Bucks approved, which, well, we all know how that went).

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 5, 2023

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

A poopy Andre shambling toward a cornered Bad News Brown, moaning an groaning like a giant zombie, Bad News draws the gun but he's shaking so hard he can't aim straight...

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

If someone gave me my own separate show to calm me down I simply would not get into a fight with Luke Perry's kid :shrug:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

If someone gave me my own separate show to calm me down I simply would not get into a fight with Luke Perry's kid :shrug:

It's what makes me think the "Punk was deliberately trying to get fired" stories have a bit of traction, because it doesn't make any sense otherwise. His mistake was thinking that Tony Khan would just buy out his contract instead of firing him for cause like he did.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Didn't he say he quit? So the narrative from Punk will be he didn't get fired, he quit, Tony Kahn is a pissbaby.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

A poopy Andre shambling toward a cornered Bad News Brown, moaning an groaning like a giant zombie, Bad News draws the gun but he's shaking so hard he can't aim straight...

Capcom really leaning into the Biohazard name with the new S-Virus.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Didn't he say he quit? So the narrative from Punk will be he didn't get fired, he quit, Tony Kahn is a pissbaby.

the pro punk narrative is that kahn is a pussy and should have fired jack perry and kept punk

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’m not a wrestling fan per se, but I watch from time to time, and thanks to Gavoc for the writeups. One thing that nobody talks about, and should, is that pro wrestling is the most successful form of live theater that still exists, and has probably ever existed. It’s got monologues, characters, conflict, pathos, dialog, plots, music, sexy bits, fighting, special effects and excitement, hell with the announcers there is even a Greek chorus. I bet that ancient Greeks would get the point immediately, in a way they wouldn’t get e.g. August, Osage County. Unless they spoke English I guess.

Anyway.

This is so amazing, both of those guys are so good on the mic, and the highlights are great; I get bored in a full match but drat these highlights are very well edited to convey the amazing physical punishment Punk takes, holy poo poo getting slammed into the bottom of a FOLDED chair and working the next week? Not into a folding chair that gives, but into the ridged bottom of a folded chair just sitting on the mat! I’d rather roll around in thumbtacks or legos (my introduction to AEW), PLEASE tell me that chair was gimmicked.

This made me revisit why Punk was the only wrestler I gave two shits about after the Piper and Ventura of my childhood, both of whom in retrospect seem to be the same kinda sympathetic heel that Punk used to be. Quitting and older in life trying actual fighting was crazy, but it’s a kind of crazy I get, pretending to do something for so long, keeping up the kayfabe then only getting poo poo on would grate.

In some kinda Mandela Effect insanity I clearly remember reading (of all things) a long New Yorker profile of him when he was gearing up for UFC, but I can’t find for the life of me, and probably never existed.

Two things before AEW that made me remember the guy when he came on:

Going way off-script on racism in the WWF/E:
If you’re white, use your voice. Protect your Black brothers and sisters, and protect the people who this country was not built for

Having the same feelings I do about WWE/F and Saudi Arabia:
Go Suck A Blood Money Covered Dick In Saudi Arabia You loving Dork

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Remulak posted:

I’m not a wrestling fan per se, but I watch from time to time, and thanks to Gavoc for the writeups. One thing that nobody talks about, and should, is that pro wrestling is the most successful form of live theater that still exists, and has probably ever existed. It’s got monologues, characters, conflict, pathos, dialog, plots, music, sexy bits, fighting, special effects and excitement, hell with the announcers there is even a Greek chorus. I bet that ancient Greeks would get the point immediately, in a way they wouldn’t get e.g. August, Osage County. Unless they spoke English I guess.

Honestly pretty sure the ancient Greeks would get the gist of it even without speaking a word of English.

I've also said before that shonen anime makes complete sense when you realise it's basically pro wrestling with cartoon superpowers. Fighting games, too.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's what makes me think the "Punk was deliberately trying to get fired" stories have a bit of traction, because it doesn't make any sense otherwise. His mistake was thinking that Tony Khan would just buy out his contract instead of firing him for cause like he did.

And in the original argument with Jack, Punk was supposedly accusing him of wanting to use real glass so he could take time off afterward. It seems like Punk might have been the one who was trying to get out of working so he accused Jack Perry of the same thing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

In either case he's hosed when it comes to filing for unemployment :v:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Two Years of Punk: Part 3

We may never know the full story of what actually happened in the “Brawl Out” situation, but the thing about wrestling is that different people involved or people on their side will leak out info to the wrestling journalists and those retellings mash together into something better resembling the truth over time. It’s an ever-evolving Rashomon where you can usually tell who is behind the different leaks. Especially when the leaks talk about how awesome and handsome Chris Jericho is during all of this.

The thing about stuff that comes out from Punk’s leaks is that his side of the story usually makes him seem like a total jackass.

With all the dust settled, the belief is that the Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, and Megha Parekh (AEW’s head of legal) knocked on Punk’s dressing room door. In the dressing room was Punk, Ace Steel, Ace’s wife, and Punk’s tiny dog Larry. Punk thought they were there for a fight and threw the first punch. Punk or Ace threw a chair at one of the Bucks. Omega tried to pick up Larry and get him out of harm’s way, only for Ace to chomp hard onto Omega’s arm. There were plenty of witnesses to this.

Hangman had thankfully left before the media scrum, so he didn’t get wrapped up in anything.

Punk was very adamant that his problem was with the Bucks. Omega was the voice of reason in all of this and was possibly able to even talk him down a bit.

poo poo was absolutely nuts and wrestling fans didn’t know what the gently caress was going on. Everyone involved in the situation, even those breaking up the fight, were suspended impending investigation. While not naming names, Tony Khan announced on the next Dynamite that the AEW World Championship and AEW Trios Championship were vacant. The Elite’s YouTube series Being the Elite was gone for several months, just as they were. Footage of the Elite and Punk in the show intros were scrubbed.

Gradually, the lesser players got to go back on TV. Gradually, the Elite were able to appear on the show again. Punk was injured and nobody knew whether Tony Khan was going to let things chill or just buy out Punk’s contract. If Punk was coming back, it was going to be a long wait. In the meantime, Ace Steel was fired.

This derailed the company hard and made AEW look like clown shoes. Not to mention there were other incidents of backstage fighting going on like Eddie Kingston/Sammy Guevara, Andrade El Idolo/Sammy Guevara, and some drama with Thunder Rosa and Britt Baker. The trio of Jon Moxley, Bryan Danielson, and Chris Jericho stepped up as locker room leaders in this chaos.

Speaking of Jericho, he was doing a storyline where he was ROH World Champion and was challenging former champions to face him and show how superior he was. One week he wanted to face anyone who ever held a title in ROH. His opponent was Colt Cabana, absolutely for the sake of being a giant middle finger to Punk, as Punk and Jericho were most definitely at odds around this time. Sadly, it was a poo poo match with a dangerous botch that was blamed on... Colt wearing compression socks? Whatever.

The only other incident of note involving Punk around this time was how even though they were faces, the Elite got booed like crazy during a show in Chicago and played it up to the crowd. Stuff like Omega biting his opponent’s arm.

During the latter half of Punk being gone, things seemed to be calming down. Punk showed up at a WWE show backstage, where he tried to make amends with old enemies the Miz and Triple H. He was later told that Vince did not want him there. He also showed up at an IMPACT taping, but that didn’t mean anything as IMPACT/TNA is a full-on Ship of Theseus thing these days and has nothing to do with his short time there.

In the meantime, Hangman posted something on social media about how he had no issues with listening to older wrestlers and that what was said about him was a misconception. Omega openly wished things went better, but said that he couldn’t really talk much about things legally.

When AEW announced All In 2023 at Wembley Stadium, this got people hyped up as it sold a crazy amount of tickets with no matches announced. One of the popular dream matches people hoped for was CMFTR (Punk and FTR) vs. the Elite. Dax Harwood was trying to push it on his podcast. Punk really wanted it to happen.

The Young Bucks did not want to work with Punk at all or reward him for his actions. In fact, when Punk tried to get in contact with them, their lawyers told him to cut it out.

Warner Bros. was intent on giving AEW a second two-hour show and wanted it to center around CM Punk. The official announcement was going to have Punk front and center, but it got altered at the last minute. While there was talk about how things weren’t going as smoothly with his return, the belief was more that they didn’t want his big return to be that blatant just yet.

In the weeks leading up to the first episode, it was announced that Punk would indeed be coming back and would be wrestling on the first show. Crowd reactions to this were mixed, skewed towards booing. Chris Jericho did offer to be his first feud upon coming back, but that was nixed. Instead, the first show would have CMFTR vs. Samoa Joe and Bullet Club Gold members Jay White and Juice Robinson.

In terms of kayfabe, the reason for Collison’s existence was that there were so many people on the roster and a lot of them like Miro, Thunder Rosa, and Andrade El Idolo were not getting featured. And really, that was as legit a reason as anything. Tony Khan was vague about whether or not Dynamite and Rampage would have split rosters, but it was believed that it was more of a soft split. People joked about how it was a CM Punk quarantine zone, but that ended up being less of a joke as time went on.

When CM Punk appeared in the beginning of the first Collision (with Tony Khan literally cheering him on as he walked past him backstage), it was in front of a Chicago crowd, so they were excited for him. Punk claimed that David Zaslov (not the best person to mention if you want people to cheer you on) referred to him as “One Bill Phil” due to the false rumors of how much money AEW was getting in their new TV deal. He used that to make a joke where he called certain people in the locker room “Counterfeit Bucks.” He then claimed to fans that were mad about how things went that he was sorry... that the only ones softer than them are the wrestlers they like.

Great promo if there was any chance that he was going to be doing a program with the Young Bucks. Not so much otherwise. At least the Bucks did make a smirking reference to it on social media. Another person who made reference to it was “Hollywood Hunk” Ryan Nemeth, a comedy heel jobber who regularly appeared on Being the Elite. Without context, Nemeth tweeted, “Literally the softest man alive.”

They were remaining in Chicago for the next Dynamite, so the Elite were off TV and Punk was able to show up with no problem. Backstage, he confronted Nemeth about what he tweeted. Nemeth may have brought up the hypocrisy of all of this, but he knew that he was just a jobber and Punk was the big name, so he knew he couldn’t poke the bear. Things were seemingly smoothed over and they went their separate ways.

Forbidden Door 2023 was on the way and it was happening a little too close to Punk’s redebut to really get a big crossover match out of it. There was KENTA, who Punk stole the Go to Sleep from, who was trying to make that happen on social media while claiming that he’d do it for a lot of money. KENTA was told by NJPW to cut that poo poo out. Instead, they had Punk vs. Satoshi Kojima in a round one match for the Owen Hart Foundation Men’s Tournament. The match is mostly remembered for Kojima accidentally doing an elbow drop off the top rope directly into Punk’s junk. Kojima would later apologize on Twitter, claiming it was not on purpose because he lacks that “technology.”

As the Owen tournament continued, it built up two major storylines for Punk. Punk took on Samoa Joe in the semifinals. Punk vs. Joe was a major rivalry back in the ROH days with Punk never able to defeat him one-on-one. Punk beat him with a flash pin in the tournament, causing Joe to gently caress him up afterwards out of anger. The finals of the tournament was Punk vs. fellow face Ricky Starks. Starks won the match via grabbing a nearby rope for leverage during a pin attempt. Starks won the tournament, but via cheating, meaning he was turning heel on Punk.

That leads to the other big part of Punk’s return. For these several weeks, Punk was occasionally carrying a bag with him. Punk pointed out that he never did lose the AEW World Championship, so he held onto his belt, calling himself the “Real” World Champion, a reference to Ric Flair in 1991 WWF. He spray painted a big, black X over the E on the plate, making it his renegade title. He was hoping that he and MJF could eventually do a unification match. MJF was not interested.

In fact, not too many people were interested in working with Punk. While Collision was good so far, Punk’s pool of opponents was not especially deep. How long could he be having matches against Ricky Starks, Samoa Joe, and Bullet Club Gold? Where could he go from here down the line?

Not to mention the ratings haven’t been especially good. It’s a Saturday night show. It was never going to be that successful, especially if it was up against a Saturday WWE PPV. That could not have helped Punk’s mental health.

At least Kenny Omega seemed open to working with him eventually. Punk was still trying to get the Bucks to budge, whether it was trying to set up a meeting with them or even sitting in with them as they planned their upcoming match with FTR. Bucks told him hell no both times.

There was one week that really did a number on Punk’s reputation for a variety of reasons. There was a storyline going on where Kenny Omega was hospitalized and on Collision they wanted to film a backstage interview with Hangman. Then they decided that it would be better if they filmed it outside somewhere and pretended like the interview was going on outside of the hospital. When word got out that Hangman was going to do an interview on Collision, but then it was changed to outside of the arena, fans’ angry eyes turned towards Punk.

Punk also dug his own grave the same night. When the show finished and the cameras were off, he saw a sign saying that this was Hangman territory. Punk, who had been getting a decent amount of boos, figured he would piss these fans off by insulting Hangman. He joked about how he’s called Hangman because nobody buys his action figures and they’re stuck hanging on the pegs in Walmart. Then the crowd started cheering this on and Punk realized that this backfired hard. So much that when he went backstage, he immediately texted Hangman an apology.

But just because Punk wasn’t the one responsible for Hangman not filming a backstage segment did not mean Punk was innocent. Punk was very adamant about being the locker room leader on Collision and that meant keeping the Elite’s buddies out. That meant telling Christopher Daniels, the Head of Talent Relations, that he could not be backstage for Collision. That meant telling Ryan Nemeth that his match was cancelled and to go home. Sorry you made the trip.

Which brings us to the Jack Perry incident. Perry was in a story where Hook was constantly attacking him whenever he drove to the arena. Perry had a little time off coming and wanted it to be explained by having Hook slam him into the windshield of a car. Whether it was approved by officials or not changes in the retellings, but Punk stepped in and said absolutely not. He wanted Perry (also friends with the Bucks) out of there.

He also accused him of trying to get injured for the sake of taking time off. This was bullshit as 1) Perry already had time off, 2) Punk was guilty of doing that himself in the past, and 3) Jack Perry has more matches than almost everyone else on the roster. Dude was not really known for his laziness.

Then we get to AEW’s biggest eight days. 81,000 fans there to watch All In at Wembley Stadium where Punk would face Samoa Joe again. The following Sunday would be All Out in Chicago with the TV stuff in-between also being in Chicago. They were building towards an All Out showdown of CM Punk vs. Ricky Starks in a Strap Match as Starks had recently been kayfabe suspended for whipping the poo poo out of wrestling legend Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat. They were going to make Punk vs. Starks official on Collision, the night before All Out.

At All In, Punk was already in a bad mood. There was a snafu with the travel as nobody picked him up from the airport and he had to get to the arena by himself. During the pre-show, Jack Perry took on Hook in a no DQ match. At one point, they were getting slammed into a limo’s windshield. Perry, really annoyed by how bad he looked from the reports of his argument with Punk, looked to the camera and said, “Real glass. Cry me a river.” Perry ended up losing the match.

As he went through the curtain, Punk was waiting for him, asking him what his problem was. Punk put Perry in a chokehold and the struggle caused some monitors to fall onto Tony Khan nearby. Samoa Joe tried to get some order in there. Punk got in Tony’s face, lunged at him, and said he quit. Joe talked him down, saying that he did not want Punk’s outrage to be the reason why Joe missed out on wrestling at goddamn Wembley.

Punk vs. Joe happened and other than the scant reports popping up on social media that something happened between Punk and Perry beforehand, you would not know that anything had gone wrong. Punk retained his Real World Championship with his Level 3 Super finisher the Pepsi Plunge. A move he has not done in many, many years. He was last seen standing in front of a sign supporting trans lives and then walked backstage with his belt over his shoulder, waving goodbye to everyone.

Perry had already been sent out of the arena. Punk left after his match.

On paper, this sounded like a great way to push the stories of their characters. Perry’s heel turn was fresh and he needed something to keep his momentum going in light of him just losing his Hook feud. Punk had been wanting to turn his backstage battles into a storyline and the Bucks weren’t receptive. This could definitely be a work!

Oh, what’s that? Both of them were suspended impending investigation? Punk would at the very least miss all of the Chicago shows coming up for the next week? Oh. Never mind, then.

The Dynamite after was surprisingly chill for a Chicago crowd. Chanting “CM PUNK!” used to be a go-to way to disrupt a wrestling show. But nope, the only time they got rowdy about him was in the final moments when the Young Bucks rescued FTR from a beatdown.

Saturday is when it was officially announced that Punk was fired with cause. If he was hoping to get himself released all along, then this did not work out for him because he was not going to get a big payout. Hell, word is that a contract he signed after the Brawl Out situation said he was hosed if something like this ever happened again. Being that All In was such a huge show, of course there were cameras backstage near Tony Khan as this was going on. That’s why this investigation took only days instead of months.

Before Collision started, Tony Khan did come out to the live crowd to express his reluctance in having to fire Punk. His line about fearing for his wellbeing for the first time at a wrestling show got some loud jeers, but hey, there’s footage and his lawyers gave him the thumbs up, so who knows how much of it was an exaggeration. A pre-taped version of these thoughts aired for the people at home. You can tell that he was very affected by this because he blinked more than two times.

The big question was what would become of the Ricky Starks match? There was some talk of making it Hangman vs. Starks, as Hangman had nothing going on going into the PPV. Instead, they wanted it to be someone even the hardcore Punk fans would cheer for. Bryan Danielson came back early from injury and the two of them had a fantastic Strap Match at the show.

There wasn’t all that much pro-Punk crowd stuff, outside of some booing for the Young Bucks. There was a big chant of “CRY ME A RIVER!” in the style of “Seven Nation Army.” That was neat.

All Out was a great show, which is what AEW needed after such a messy week. And now they’re able to move on, no longer waiting for Punk’s other shoe to drop in terms of a return. Now everyone can go back to waiting for Edge or Mercedes Mone to show up. Maybe Cody will be back in a couple years.

The whole thing makes me think about how in the early 2000s, there was a time when WWE had both Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan on the roster and the most they did was a handicap tag match where the two shared the ring for less than a minute. A fan talked to Austin at an autograph signing and asked about facing Hogan, as it would be the biggest match in wrestling history. Austin said no, because of what a piece of poo poo Hogan is to deal with. The fan asked if he’d do it if he got full creative control and could lay out the match in every way.

Austin still said, "No. gently caress that guy.”

Gavok fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 10, 2023

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

rndmnmbr posted:

Not even that he demands total control of everything, that's a very Hogan thing. Phil just has a giant chip on his shoulder, one that's easy to knock off with a careless comment, something that's only grown worse as time has passed.

We cheered to see it when he was the underdog punching up at Vince and Hunter and WWE. But when he came into AEW and stood on the top himself, it didn't take long for him to start punching down at the guys below him.

It's this. Punk's whole thing was that he was the big indie guy who got hired by WWE to be set up to fail, succeeded anyway, and didn't put up with backstage abuse and Wrestler's Court and ribbing and hazing, and called out double standards like everyone having to wear a suit when they arrive at a show except for Undertaker

Punk was probably an insufferable rear end in a top hat at the time but because everyone else was a bigger rear end in a top hat with firmly established power, Punk was seen as an underdog hero. And honestly, the fact that Vince allowed him to beat the then unstoppable Cena for the title and then walk out of the arena through the crowd was one of my favorite things that's ever happened in wrestling. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, that was back when Cena's run was getting stale to older fans were getting tired of Cena never losing because kids liked him and bought a million shirts and hats and wristbands and stuff

But yeah Punk basically became the exact thing that he claimed to be standing up to in WWE, and he seems to have lost whatever capability for self reflection he ever had, if he ever had any. I used to be a huge fan of his until his meltdown and the backstage fight after. And now I'm really glad he's gone

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

cm punk reminds me of myself and i dont like watching that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

What a ride.

I’m sure he’ll be back on one of these shows someday cause nobody ever learns.