Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think he just didn't memorize the spell that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Robot Style posted:

That ability showing up in the movie seems to be just be a production band-aid for a part of the sequence that didn't work.

In the script, the Droidekas start blasting at the Jedi, and the hallway fills with smoke, obscuring them. The smoke then dissipates, but the Jedi are nowhere to be seen, having used the smoke cloud to escape.

For whatever reason, that part of the sequence was reshot to have them just run really fast instead of sneaking away in a plume of smoke. So the reason Obi-Wan didn't use that ability at the end of the movie is because, when that part of the film was written and filmed, the ability didn't exist.

i love that they reshot a looney tunes sequence (disappearing in a cloud of smoke) with an even loonier tunes sequence (zooming away with speed lines rushing off them)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Force zoomie ability uses up a lot of Force mana and has an insanely long cooldown.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why didn't they just force zoom into darth Maul like the pink haired admiral does to Snorke?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All three of them were using force zoom the whole fight, the camera was sped up so it appeared normal

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Pretty sure force gotta go fast existed in Jedi Knight long before Phantom Menace?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Assepoester posted:

Pretty sure force gotta go fast existed in Jedi Knight long before Phantom Menace?

Today I learned phantom menace started filming almost 6 months before dark forces 2 came out

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CelticPredator posted:

It’s midiclorians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwLccJOMTX0

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's heroin

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This and the next episode will probably figure out how good Ahsoka ends up being. The arc absolutely needs to go somewhere interesting, and we don't know if it is yet.

This was right around the point in Obi Wan when any good will that existed was irrevocably lost (we're around the point either when he was running in circles with Vader or hiding Leia under his coat) and Boba where the biker gang appeared as a comparison.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks for the input! I'll wait for the series to end and maybe binge at that point.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The benefit of Ahsoka vs those shows, is that like it feels like this show actually cares about the principle characters as something other than a thing to push the plot forward.

I don't think this show is revolutionary, but dear god it's nice like seeing characters interact and talk, and have conflict with other characters in the cast and themselves.

vs something like Boba Fett, or the Parts of Obi-Wan that weren't Obi working in the meat factory, or directly acting with Anakin/Vader.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 5, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Whit I agree with that, it also feels like it seems to take for granted that we care deeply about these characters and are super invested in them due to previous media, and gives us little reason to actually be invested in them in this context.

Like, I dug much of TCW and Rebels, but this show has totally failed to get me invested in Sabine's training.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sabine was my favorite character from Rebels, so yeah I'm just fully bought in.

I don't think they've done a great job, like I said, it's not like revolutionary or great or anything, but if you can just take at face value the situation these characters are in, they are actually like acting like characters with perspectives on the world and themselves which clash and cause friction with one another.

Vs "Aren't Boba Fett and Fennec Shand so cool they say a bunch of one liners, The Mod kids(I actually like the Aesthetic, and what they seem to be going for, but they literally do nothing interesting with them other than have them join up with cool guy Boba.)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

While I have an inherent bias, I feel like "Jaded ex-warrior lost magical friend to Something Bad, wants to work with a difficult magical master and other old friends to garnish the best of their abilities to face Something Bad" holds up well enough for a straight forward plot without any other context.

It's time for her to pick up the blade and try again, for that little holo boy she clearly cares a lot about.

E: She drew lothcats on her helmet, the same lothcats Ezra drew on his bunk as a Lothalite. (Lothalian? Lothaler?)

Jehde fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 5, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Dexo posted:

I don't think this show is revolutionary, but dear god it's nice like seeing characters interact and talk, and have conflict with other characters in the cast and themselves.

There certainly is a lot of talking, but the characterization is practically nil.

Like, for example, we're told that Ahsoka tortured the villain offscreen and then threw her in jail. Isn't that the kind of thing you should put onscreen so that we can establish the characters' relations to eachother?

Like, what was the crime that this baddie was even arrested for? How does everybody feel about this event? Was Ahsoka happy to do a torture, or just ambivalent? Is she scared of this guy Thrawn, or just annoyed by him? Did the baddie feel humiliated, or did the torture just anger her? Or both?

You can ask similar questions about why the Sabine character is considering becoming a Jedi. So far, she doesn't seem to actually care very much either way, and Ahsoka is like a nagging parent making her do hockey lessons. What even is a Jedi at this point?

This kind of storytelling doesn't need constant flashbacks or anything; it's simply about illustrating the characters' psychological states. If Ahsoka is like a mother figure, that's fine - but why does Sabine need a mother figure?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 5, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hera is the mom, Ahsoka is the cool aunt.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kanan: Dad
Hera: Mom
Zeb: Uncle
Ahsoka: Aunt
Sabine: Kid
Ezra: Kid
Chooper: Cat

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jehde posted:

Hera is the mom, Ahsoka is the cool aunt.

Ahsoka is the cool Aunt, but after that Aunt flips the switch to start pestering her niece about like why she hasn't settled down and become one with the force yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Vinylshadow posted:

Chooper: Cat

What does that make the Lothcat then?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What does that make the Lothcat then?

Dog

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I have a tough time squaring "cool aunt" with "torturing a prisoner" but I admit my filoni brain is underdeveloped

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I have a tough time squaring "cool aunt" with "torturing a prisoner" but I admit my filoni brain is underdeveloped

I'm sorry your Aunt's aren't cool enough to pull info out of a fascists mind.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

I realize the thread ran with that interpretation but the text supports numerous less awful things so I have to wonder if people are being edgy or just simplistic

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm sure you can find the entire interrogation scene on fanfiction.net

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm not trying to be tedious here but what are the other interpretations? For what it's worth I did ask previously and didn't really get presented with any

Speaking of strange sloppy lines, what was up with the exchange where ahsoka's robot asks her how she got information about the map from the witch and she's like "yeah, I used some... non-jedi methods". Was that shown in the mandalorian or something, and if not is there some way to interpret that other than torture or I guess shady force poo poo? I found it weird that wasn't elaborated on at all

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You can ask similar questions about why the Sabine character is considering becoming a Jedi. So far, she doesn't seem to actually care very much either way, and Ahsoka is like a nagging parent making her do hockey lessons. What even is a Jedi at this point?

She needs it so she can fight the bad Jedi as Ahsoka mentioned. The only thing that can beat a bad Jedi with a lightsaber is a good Jedi with a lightsaber.

(Note: Sabine already went through training to beat a Jedi using her Mando armor but I guess that's gone along with her swordfighting abilities?)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

I'm not trying to be tedious here but what are the other interpretations? For what it's worth I did ask previously and didn't really get presented with any

Maybe she tickled the soles of her feet until she could stand it no longer.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Mind reading
Mind trick
Direct threat
Indirect threat
Bribe

With zero effort, none of those are Jedi approved methods and none are torture

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

koolkal posted:

She needs it so she can fight the bad Jedi as Ahsoka mentioned. The only thing that can beat a bad Jedi with a lightsaber is a good Jedi with a lightsaber.

(Note: Sabine already went through training to beat a Jedi using her Mando armor but I guess that's gone along with her swordfighting abilities?)

She never got trained to beat a Jedi, she was trained to use the darksaber and largely fight other Mandos in melee combat with said lightsaber.

She can still fight with a sword, Rusty, but like she was putting up a fight against Shin, but yeah even in Rebels anytime she faced Ezra or Kana in training when they were going for it combat she generally got wrecked, outside of when she went apeshit on Kanan, or she caught Ezra off guard with Mando tricks.

She can sword fight Mando's using the dark saber or whatever, but real deal force users she's never been able to 1v1.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

:confused: teagone and I both answered you. There's obviously no straightforward answer but I thought we gave you the most obvious explanation:

Hazo posted:

No, we never saw anything after their duel. The implication is she mind-read or tortured her.

I think it's another attempt to paint Ahsoka as a "no seriously guys, I'm NOT a Jedi! I'm a totally different kind of good guy OC Do Not Steal even though I do Jedi things 99.9% of the time!" Even though Anakin did the same poo poo.

Mind reading seems like a pretty standard jedi thing so I feel like it has to imply she did something worse somehow. Not sure if I'm really that crazy about ahsoka "jack bauer" tano at this point

Hazo posted:

I meant more of a dark-sideish nonconsensual kind of mind-reading, like Kylo Ren kept doing in TFA.

teagone posted:

I think it's implied that Ahsoka had done what Kylo Ren did to Poe in TFA with the memory extraction using the force.

[edit] beaten

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUHQDQZ6E4

My assumption was she did something like this

God lmao I love just how lovely the Jedi Order was.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sorry, when was it established that mind reading and mind tricks are not jedi approved methods? Pretty orthodox jedi seem pretty cavalier about using them to my memory.

As for the idea "a dark-sideish nonconsensual kind of mind-reading, like Kylo Ren kept doing in TFA" does not count as torture, it certainly looked like torture in TFA

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
It happened off screen, all I'm saying is that the torture interpretation is maximally uncharitable

There's room for it to be something less extreme

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Anyway the thing that makes the Aunt Cool is that she is willing to bend the rules a bit be a little darksided, unlike mom who is strict and no fun.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dexo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUHQDQZ6E4

My assumption was she did something like this

God lmao I love just how lovely the Jedi Order was.

More like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqAcOnEBUI

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Commissioner Gordon: "Great work Batman, how did you get the henchman to reveal where the Penguin would strike next?"

Batman: "I have various... unconventional methods."

Me (furiously slamming my hands onto my desk): "What does that MEAN????"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah but Batman just stares menacingly at the goon until they crack themselves like an egg and talk.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean basically we're left with ahsoka going "I'm going to start breaking your bones until you tell me" or whatever, charitably with her having no intention of doing it, but she's just so frightening that the crook spills. I mean that's what I think of in the batman example.

But if that's the best we can do I still think ahsoka is kind of an awful person, much like batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She was trained by Anakin Skywalker, it’s not surprising she’d be a bit more aggressive in her methods