Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Oh woah what, there are more staff parts to be found? I only looked at one mote vendor out of all this so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
There's something like 6 total full staff styles iirc. You can find them pretty quick if you just take the "repair an autophage" quest any time you see it, those tend to chain into every other nearby camp in pretty short order and you can abandon the quest or turn them in at the space station without needing to revisit every previous camp if you want

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That anomalous damage thing might stop if you turn off PVP. I don't know if it's griefing or the games being out of sync but invisible PVP is a thing especially in expos.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
"Turn off PVP when you start a new expedition save" should probably be a recurring reminder at this point, I'm surprised they still have that as default-on given how frequently "oops someone snuck into the anomaly with a shotgun ship" has been an issue

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Apparently main staff colour is random, and secondary is based on location. I'm going to have to wait til someone finds the combo that I want, then build it there.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I bought this game when it came out back in 2016. In fact I preordered it and got the preorder ship whatever that was. I played it for 30 hours or so, got to the center of the galaxy, moved to the next universe and never played it again until a couple of weeks ago. I will say, they have added a lot and the game is much more playable and fun. I've been playing it every day for the last 2 weeks and I'm still hooked. They really pulled a rabbit out of their hat on this one. I do have the following problems though:

1. The interface is both clumsy and slick at the same time. I've gotten used to the interface as it goes along but it feels so cartoony and obtuse in some respects, especially inventory management.
2. The gameplay is pretty thin and grindy. I enjoy grindiness but it gets kinda boring.
3. bugs. bugs galore. Many times have I found an important item below the bedrock or had weird mission bugs (The dreadnought fight one is very common for me)
4. Control is clumsy.

Overall though the game is loving addictive. But I have a few questions.

1. What is the consequence of making a frigate continue on with a mission despite damage?
2. What effect does having multiple ships in an expedition have on an expedition. Is it good to have a blend of ships on a trade mission? Can you prevent damage to ships by adding support ships?
3. What's a good way to farm nanites?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I don't know about 1, but for 2, adding more ships is just to raise the star rating of the fleet you send. If you beat the mission's star rating by at least 2, there's no chance of damage to the frigates, so that's all you need to shoot for, and since fuel can be a pain to make you want to send the smallest fleet you can. For non-"balanced" missions I'm pretty sure the fleet's rating in the appropriate stat is all that's important though.

IMO the easiest way to farm nanites if you have a bit of cash on hand is to buy "suspicious packet (tech)" and "suspicious packet (arms)" from the vendors on outlaw stations (they're 75,000 units each so you'll want to have at least a million or so in "walking around money" to burn, which isn't that hard to get - salvage a crashed ship or two, or refine a couple stacks of chlorine and you'll be good to go). They open to give you random upgrades, which you can sell for 300-500 nanites a pop. Vendors will only have 5-10 in stock, but if you've visited a few outlaw stations you can just portal between them and buy up their inventory over and over.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Reddit comes through again, got a staff to match my ~aesthetic~

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Update on my issues: I turned of multiplayer and all my problems are gone.

Seems the MP is over straining the game.

Got a cool A class Sentinel ship bow and am having a blast. Also: the low pH animal bug can be avoided: Make sure when you first land on a toxic planet, get out of your ship and scan only 1 animal. If that does not trigger the milestone, reload your restore point and scan different animal. Rinse repeat until it triggers. It is annoying but helped me do that milestone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Giant Ethicist posted:

IMO the easiest way to farm nanites if you have a bit of cash on hand is to buy "suspicious packet (tech)" and "suspicious packet (arms)" from the vendors on outlaw stations (they're 75,000 units each so you'll want to have at least a million or so in "walking around money" to burn, which isn't that hard to get - salvage a crashed ship or two, or refine a couple stacks of chlorine and you'll be good to go). They open to give you random upgrades, which you can sell for 300-500 nanites a pop. Vendors will only have 5-10 in stock, but if you've visited a few outlaw stations you can just portal between them and buy up their inventory over and over.

yeah this was by far the fastest way for me too, there have been some youtubers advocating doing a lot of sentinel shooting to collect their drops but uh, gently caress that noise lmao
e: not because shooting sentinels is hard, it's just not nearly as fast

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah this was by far the fastest way for me too, there have been some youtubers advocating doing a lot of sentinel shooting to collect their drops but uh, gently caress that noise lmao

I just upgraded my staff to A-class this way, being a smuggler pays off.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Reddit comes through again, got a staff to match my ~aesthetic~

Head looks like a robot cobra

Aka a robra

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah, that seems... really inefficient. The nice thing about the outlaw route is that if you really get bored and want to change up play loops, you can do outlaw missions to earn stuff to sell for cash (just don't do delivery, they suck), which also makes the vendor restock 2 or 3 of each kind of suspicious pack. Mission, buy packs, mission, buy packs, repeat until you get bored and/or have stacks of 20-30 of each type, at which point you'll also have a whole bunch of contraband to sell for a nice chunk in the next non-outlaw system over. And since you'll be getting nanites and upgrades, you should have your ship in a place to make the space combat missions near-trivial pretty quickly.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tarkus posted:

3. What's a good way to farm nanites?

Now that refiners have gotten more reliable to actually use and walk away from, a lot of random poo poo refines into nanites. I don't know if anyone's really sat down to re-figure-out what the "most nanites per hour" is (I strongly suspect radiant shards) but there are a lot more options now than there were even 6 months ago, and a lot of them are inherently "things you might end up with a bunch of playing some other aspect of the game for awhile".

e: Runaway Mould is/was the fastest "non-borderline-mechanically-abusive" way to get nanites, which can be found on planets in the form of giant balls of mold that detach and start rolling away when you start trying to mine them, and they also respawn if you get more than something like 1000u away from them. Some people have combined this into "Nanite farming bases" that usually consist of a pit constructed around the ball-spawning area to prevent the balls from running away, and sometimes a local teleporter chain to make the player instantly move ~1000u away and back again to force the mold to respawn.

If you see any other-players bases talking about "Nanite farming", that's probably what you're going to find.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 3, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Phy posted:

Head looks like a robot cobra

Aka a robra

I love the Autophage "poncho over pistons" look, it's just the perfect Robot Weirdo aesthetic. :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just upgraded my staff to A-class this way, being a smuggler pays off.

you're at the point now where you are less concerned about having S-class stuff, than you are about having GOOD S-class stuff. you can collect enough nanites to pay for upgrading something (ship has the biggest impact but you can do this for multi-tool as well) to peek at what its superslot arrangement is, having adjacent superslots makes weapons or other systems way more effective.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

you're at the point now where you are less concerned about having S-class stuff, than you are about having GOOD S-class stuff.

Imma level with you, I don't actually care about optimising my gear to that extent. Upgrading things gives me something to do, and generally I don't like to have my new fancy kit being below A-class.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that's fine, it's not like you NEED to do any of that in order to do pretty much any of the content

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Well I guess since my expedition is bugged I guess I'm done with it until a patch or I just save edit.

Apparently if you scan a creature with TOO HIGH PH blood it is possible to not trigger the condition for clearing by finding a 2 PH one.

I know this one hasn't been super popular, but this is kind of what I wanted out of an expo, lots of warping and cataloging and exploring. I kind of wish they didn't have the 6 exotic creature part though because you could play this game for a year and not see 6 exotic planets, so you basically have to lean on the community to finish it.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Rick posted:

I know this one hasn't been super popular, but this is kind of what I wanted out of an expo, lots of warping and cataloging and exploring. I kind of wish they didn't have the 6 exotic creature part though because you could play this game for a year and not see 6 exotic planets, so you basically have to lean on the community to finish it.
Blue, green, and red stars have a much higher chance of having exotic planets than regular ones - red's the most IIRC, and also the easiest to craft a drive to get to.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Exotics are super common if you know what you're looking for, yeah. It's also not just "glitched" worlds for this-- one red uninhabited system got me 4/6 "exotic life forms" with two glitch planets with 1 each, and one planet with two forms of robo-deer that each counted. (It's also worth noting that the frigate planet scanner is a game changer for this and well worth snagging-- head straight for a red star with as many planets as possible, ping it from your ship and you're good to go)

My biggest beef was the hostility one-- I have no idea what counts towards the hostility rating, and what was "more hostile" in the places those conflict (pirate system? abandoned system? activated mineral tier storms? hostile sentinels? dissonant sentinels? giant sandworms? is radioactivity more hostile than fire? chromatic abberation planets? is it like planet temperature records where the hostility goes up during cyclonic superstorms?) and couldn't find anything showing the hostility rating of places I'd already found. After getting nearly everything else passively and spending a bunch of time looking for "hostile" worlds with no feedback I said gently caress it and looked up some coordinates on reddit so I could stick a pin in the expo as a whole

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 5, 2023

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Some of these expedition steps are pretty loving annoying. My highest blood temp animal is 59/60c and for the life of me cannot find an agressive animal above 20.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

At least that's one you can do. Did they fix the corrosive blood bug yet?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
What's the best thing in the log to focus on in the beginning stages of the game? I played mostly on release and then a little bit more on the first big update but not really any since then and the amount of new stuff is kind of overwhelming.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

man i cant even move in the expedition. loaded up my save today and im standing there on the freighter unable to activate any buttons except jetpack. what gives. i even turned off multiplayer and it doesnt help

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

screaden posted:

What's the best thing in the log to focus on in the beginning stages of the game? I played mostly on release and then a little bit more on the first big update but not really any since then and the amount of new stuff is kind of overwhelming.

probably the base overseer construction stuff, it's very focused and leads directly to unlocking some stuff you otherwise have to grind out and buy or get in time gated dribbles from the base computer.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

They changed up the base computer dribbles semi-recently to be words-learned-gated instead, which is much more rapid in practice.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I agree on the "just do the base quests" part. It's still going to be there when you're done loving around and the quests don't update so you'll just be slogging through quests that reward you with "Stuff you already have" if you wait.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Note that you can do the entirety of the overseer base stuff from a freighter now too if you don't have anywhere you want to build an actual base yet

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's also worth a caveat that having those questgivers on a freighter is a very YMMV scenario-- them being mobile has led to Some Weirdness* with quests in the past. I don't know if all of those issues have been resolved but if you run into any that's probably why

*well, more weirdness than usual

The only quest NPC with a berth on my ship is the gardner because he deserves nice things and being away from the overseer

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

The scientist also gets a space for me because it's basically free nanites once a day if you remember to scan stuff regularly, plus he just seems like a nice entity. (I was sad that the scientist I recruited on an outlaw station was no longer a "raiding entity" or whatever and reverted to the vanilla Korvax naming/titling scheme, though.)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Finished the expedition and was surprised it had 0 to do with the new race apparently? However, it was a great introduction to many of the games systems and features.
Starting a new main save for the storyline now. But I will really miss my A class equipment., I also spent my nanintes and salvaged parts way too freely, I'll have to be a bit more conservative about what I unlock.

Does the normal game reward you with blueprints for doing quests regularly as well or is that just a thing in the expedition?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Glad they fixed the corrosive blood bug in the expedition, now it would be cool if I could play the game more than a second without it crashing though. Sometimes I'm amazed how much they can do with a limited team and other times it's such a pain the rear end that it also applies to their QA. I'll have to see if I have to start the expedition from scratch or continue before it ends and they fix it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I got a new headset and NMS has me on the default volume activation voice comms for multiplayer missions. My background is of a television broadcast softly in the background that spikes with satisfied baby noises and whatever I say for the 15 minutes I'm in a shared spacebattle, mostly directed at my baby.

I will never change this. I am life and those noises are lore appropriate. But hypothetically, how would I? I've looked in the menus and I can't find it. Which controller button would I even bind push to talk to.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bathsheba was a loving smoke show and not a single person itt would be able to stop humping her long enough to competently rule a nation.

e: sorry wrong thread

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Trying to get my gf the last step to complete the expedition and we just can't figure it out. She has scanner modules all grouped together and 2 S-class on supercharged squares on her A class multitool but can't seem to break the 200k credits barrier. I'm 99% sure we have the same multitool (pistol) bought at the same station. I'm getting like 350k for an exotic creature and my scanner modules aren't on any bonus squares at all. Thoughts? The only thing I can think of is that hers is a small rifle and not a pistol class and at some point I've bought the pistol (bottom one) and totally forgot about it.

vvv

ahh right will check next time we play ty.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 10, 2023

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Trying to get my gf the last step to complete the expedition and we just can't figure it out. She has scanner modules all grouped together and 2 S-class on supercharged squares on her A class multitool but can't seem to break the 200k credits barrier. I'm 99% sure we have the same multitool (pistol) bought at the same station. I'm getting like 350k for an exotic creature and my scanner modules aren't on any bonus squares at all. Thoughts?

Make sure the s-class upgrades she has give a bonus to fauna. I’ve had ones that only do flora & minerals.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

bird with big dick posted:

Bathsheba was a loving smoke show and not a single person itt would be able to stop humping her long enough to competently rule a nation.

e: sorry wrong thread

get outta here King David

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

moroboshi posted:

Make sure the s-class upgrades she has give a bonus to fauna. I’ve had ones that only do flora & minerals.

That was it exactly, thanks! Not related but I'm sure I read earlier in the thread that they walked back the ship spawning RNG change they added in the latest patch, was that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

why is my mouse controlling so janky in this game?

and why do I feel like the camera is way too zoomed in in first person view?