Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Annointed posted:

Quentin reviews says he'll address the dan schneider abuse at the end.

So yay grift on

The end of what

The world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

The "CalArts Style" thing was always a misnomer. When John K was ranting about it, he was peeved at the specific sort of period Disney style typified by The Iron Giant (which isn't a Disney production but he said CalArts students were being trained in a style evocative of Don Bluth and 60s-70s Disney.) Then it got cargo culted by other people into railing against thick-line animation like Dexter's Lab and Fairly Odd Parents. Then it was noodly thin line animation like Chowder and Adventure Time. Now it's just degraded into "bean-shaped head with a quirky oblong smile and there's queer characters."

This is the most coherent summation about what the hell was going on at any time when people were getting mad about "CalArts". Thank you so much for that. I just could never wrap my head around it and the only point that stuck was this picture making people froth at the mouth.

You know how every cartoon just has everyone making the same face from the same angle? It's never a screencap from any episode, just 4 character's heads floating in a white void.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Especially galling to accuse Gumball of all things of being visually uninteresting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well all those cartoons stay on model so

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

The "CalArts Style" thing was always a misnomer. When John K was ranting about it, he was peeved at the specific sort of period Disney style typified by The Iron Giant (which isn't a Disney production but he said CalArts students were being trained in a style evocative of Don Bluth and 60s-70s Disney.) Then it got cargo culted by other people into railing against thick-line animation like Dexter's Lab and Fairly Odd Parents. Then it was noodly thin line animation like Chowder and Adventure Time. Now it's just degraded into "bean-shaped head with a quirky oblong smile and there's queer characters."

Yeah, it’s pretty much always been a bunch of nerds getting mad at whatever was the current popular style in animation and going “Grr, drat you CalArts!”

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RareAcumen posted:

This is the most coherent summation about what the hell was going on at any time when people were getting mad about "CalArts". Thank you so much for that. I just could never wrap my head around it and the only point that stuck was this picture making people froth at the mouth.

You know how every cartoon just has everyone making the same face from the same angle? It's never a screencap from any episode, just 4 character's heads floating in a white void.

the secret sans invasion

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's also a pedophile

This is a man whomst, on his tribute to his dad, decided to add a story on how he would straight up hit on his girlfriends when he was still a teen living with him, and he portrayed that as something "badass". This was during a time where I knew easily a plural number of pals that were "proposed for a private meeting on his room" at animation cons. He straight up had BlackListing Reje Magesté for nearly 2 decades. The only Goddamn positive of this is that he at least has the shame to not burst into newspapers or radio shows to cry about his predicatement.

... The fact that I know at least 3 cases of "Animation insider uses their power as a figure of note to hide their going after vulnerable interns\students, has acolytes and peers swing threats of potential loss of the job and so on, this happens a lot until the dam bursts, and then everyone acts really surprised this happened in the first place" makes me honestly glad that I just kept my art as a hobby and stuck to Physics. I nearly burst a vein in my head from screaming at someone that was like "Yes this raising star might have a history of lusting after teens with potential logs, but this is totally different from the John K situation because I'm not a tumblr teen or a 4channer."

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Jacob Geller - Art in the Pre-Apocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9N7Awpk9lE

About art and life in a pre-apocalypse and how one should feel about it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

pretty sure "raising star" there is a typo but the fact it's in a sentence alongside grooming teenagers make it a dark lol

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Crocobile posted:

Lmao wow I’m not surprised. I went to Calarts in the late aughts and people openly talked about how John K groomed young women and always surrounded himself with teen girls. And all of his young “apprentices” or w/e drew in the exact Spümcø style. It annoyed me in 2016 when people (who absolutely knew better) acted shocked. I hope he stays disgraced.

The “CalArts style” thing has always annoyed me because people are usually just complaining about Steven Universe & bean mouths but Rebecca Sugar went to SVA and like… have you guys seen Pen Ward’s student film??

Heck, as we can see in the graphic above, people stick The Amazing World of Gumball with the CalArts label despite the creator being a Frenchman who studied in Europe and the series was produced by Cartoon Network's UK division, meaning it was unlikely anyone on the animation team had been within 200 miles of the CalArts campus.

The type of folks who harp about "CalArts Style" on Twitter also, ironically, tend to be fans of Genndy Tartakovsky (Typically because they're either on a big nostalgia trip for the thick line animation style of the 90s or because they're part of that weird contingent of animation fans who only like action series and get really mad at comedy series for existing) who is an actual CalArts alumni.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

RareAcumen posted:

this is a troll image lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

you guys gotta stop taking the bait

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you do realize they posted explicitly that, right

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

you do realize they posted explicitly that, right

the guy above me is arguing with it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

don't take the bait

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
leave some of the bait.. dont be greedy

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

fun hater posted:

the guy above me is arguing with it

What? I was relating my experience arguing with people who actually do take the ideas in that image seriously.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

KingKalamari posted:

What? I was relating my experience arguing with people who actually do take the ideas in that image seriously.

Yeah I've only seen that image used with full sincerity, lol. Bait can work both ways

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I just could never wrap my head around it and the only point that stuck was this picture making people froth at the mouth.

What’s interesting to me is that’s pretty far from Daron Nefcy’s actual style (the creator of Star & the Forces of Evil). Here’s her 2nd year film (my personal fav) 3rd year (her most successful) and senior film.

Hirsch’s student films: 1, 2, 3.

I think Regular Show looks pretty close to J G Quintel’s style: 2 in the AM PM

fun hater
May 24, 2009

^^^ theyre all drawn deliberately off model

also those vids are cool

Pigbuster posted:

Yeah I've only seen that image used with full sincerity, lol. Bait can work both ways

lol ive literally only seen it used by ppl who want engagement on twitter

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

fun hater posted:

lol ive literally only seen it used by ppl who want engagement on twitter

Yeah, lol, the last person I saw who used that image unironically turned out to be an actual for real arm-at-45°-angle-all-the-time Nazi who was also very mad about cartoons.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
childrens cartoons are an important thing for an adult to care about ... its the important battleground for the culture warrior

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Regular Show was so loving good.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

childrens cartoons are an important thing for an adult to care about ... its the important battleground for the culture warrior

I wonder how many culture war arguments have erupted over Beavis and Butthead

fun hater
May 24, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

you know who else was so loving good?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

Patrick Stewart once said that Beavis and Butthead was the great equalizer, after all.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they have 14 very specific words about cartoons.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fun hater posted:

you know who else was so loving good?

starrrrlaaauhhhhhh!!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, lol, the last person I saw who used that image unironically turned out to be an actual for real arm-at-45°-angle-all-the-time Nazi who was also very mad about cartoons.

Mad Catra isn't into Aryan dudes.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Shaking my head at the lack of discourse about whether or not Family Guy promotes degeneracy and/or white genocide.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

A formative experience I had about watching cartoons is having people come up to me and tell me they couldn't get into Beavis and Butthead because it was too highminded, so I barely flinch when I see Portuguese dork celebrities try to make Cocomelon and Calilou sound good.

I mean I would get it if I was talking about anime or one of the serial cartoons, but Beavis and Butthead of all things?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pigbuster posted:

do the universe has them make fun of white privilege by coming to the conclusion that because they are white they can do whatever they want which had both right and left wing extremely online twitter personalities claiming mike judge was on their side

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 5, 2023

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
OK, this is epic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Humans are the only animal people that exist, and therefore it is ethical.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

New amouranth hot tub livestream just dropped

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

CelticPredator posted:

I will always love it for taking the piss out of Billy Mitchell.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Yeah, it was an interesting video. I will forever be an outside observer of the furry community, but I can’t really bring myself feel too much disdain for it as a whole.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Equeen posted:

Yeah, it was an interesting video. I will forever be an outside observer of the furry community, but I can’t really bring myself feel too much disdain for it as a whole.

*nods*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Equeen posted:

the jacking off community lol