Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Wibla posted:

Build a bunch of frigates and block III burkes, LCS are dumb as hell and a gigantic waste of time and money.

Yes that's what the Navy will be doing???

There's only a handful of Freedoms left to send down river and even less Indys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

They are building LPDs in Pascagoula too!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Every carrier can be a submersible once.

The joke doesn't work in this case. :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Weren't there WWII submarines that could launch planes as well?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

Weren't there WWII submarines that could launch planes as well?

Yeah Japanese used them to launch a raid on San Diego than nobody noticed.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Or when the Navy is like "We need to decom all of the Cruisers, please they cost hundreds of millions in reparis and computer architecture upgrades" and Congress says "What we heard is decom nothing, ever."

The Cruisers that are finally getting decommed have been recommended for decommissioning for years at this point.

Finally decommed the Lake Champlain on Friday, after being on the list like 6 years in a row. I'm on transfer leave because my next ship is under way for a month, and OH LOOK MY CHIEF IS CALLING ME AT 0700 BECAUSE IM NOT AT QUARTERS ONA SHIP THAT DOESNT loving EXIST. (They're towing it this Friday, but I detached the loving instant the ceremony was done, read your loving emails)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm shocked they finally decommed the port royal jesus that thing should have just been left on reef runway.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm shocked they finally decommed the port royal jesus that thing should have just been left on reef runway.

Oh? That was the first ship I worked on as a fake sailor. They were super nice to us and loaded us up with equipment when we completed our hopeless task of watertight door and scuttle maintenance.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah Japanese used them to launch a raid on San Diego than nobody noticed.

I thought they were never used operationally. The I-400s, right?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

McNally posted:

I thought they were never used operationally. The I-400s, right?

Bad memory overlayed on this event

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardment_of_Ellwood

Still… using a submarine to shell a refinery and basically doing nothing but spread fear is pretty lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crab Dad posted:

Oh? That was the first ship I worked on as a fake sailor. They were super nice to us and loaded us up with equipment when we completed our hopeless task of watertight door and scuttle maintenance.

That ship was so impossibly hosed after running aground. The fact they kept using it was such disrespect to the sailors they put on it. If she had ever been in a hot situation, she was going down permanently. There was no reason to keep trying to repair that crippled hunk of junk.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The only ship I dealt with more jacked up than the Port Royal was the Chancellorsville. I'm pretty sure that hull has leaked more fuel oil than it burned.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

All this talk of the Ticos being decrepit wrecks just drives home the :corsair: feels of remembering them being the new poo poo.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Just ran into an old XO from last-command at indopacom, looked hella familiar, dudes an O-6 now. Was trying to remember where I knew him from and he came up and hit me with the "What are you doing here in civvies", told me to get a haircut, and asked me who my command / CO is. I'm like chill bro, I'm retired. The look of absolute confusion on his face was priceless.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arione posted:

Just ran into an old XO from last-command at indopacom, looked hella familiar, dudes an O-6 now. Was trying to remember where I knew him from and he came up and hit me with the "What are you doing here in civvies", told me to get a haircut, and asked me who my command / CO is. I'm like chill bro, I'm retired. The look of absolute confusion on his face was priceless.

Lol I’ll probably be there in November. We should do subway and chat.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Crab Dad posted:

Sounds good, I will likely be around, if not we can meet up on JBPHH.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Finally decommed the Lake Champlain on Friday, after being on the list like 6 years in a row. I'm on transfer leave because my next ship is under way for a month, and OH LOOK MY CHIEF IS CALLING ME AT 0700 BECAUSE IM NOT AT QUARTERS ONA SHIP THAT DOESNT loving EXIST. (They're towing it this Friday, but I detached the loving instant the ceremony was done, read your loving emails)

Back when we did monthly threads circa 2012 I got the first post and named the thread "Keelhaul all Khakis" Naturally enough nobles bitched that they changed the name like 4 days into the new month. But my sentiment remains to this day

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arione posted:

Do you know what department he's in? I'm doing work with the INDOPACOM J8/J85 right now. Maybe I know him. :v:

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

AlternateNu posted:

Do you know what department he's in? I'm doing work with the INDOPACOM J8/J85 right now. Maybe I know him. :v:

No, he had a visitor badge.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Crab Dad posted:

Next time we need to start at the Tchin Tchin bar, run across the street to Fete, and take a tour at Ko Hana. Go for the good tasting.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

Next time we need to start at the Tchin Tchin bar, run across the street to Fete, and take a tour at Ko Hana. Go for the good tasting.

Non work night sounds like fun. Chances are pretty good right now I’ll be on island for November and Jan/Feb.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

lightpole posted:

Odds of getting me to China town are infinitesimally small, especially after dark. My Hanai Mom was mugged there in broad daylight a few months ago, the homeless and crime is rampant there now. Ko Hanna is alright, the Kea tastes / smells like skunk water. The Koho is decent but its expensive. They want 250-300 for a 375ml of koa, absolutely not. I did the Ko'olau distillery tour, not exactly a "quality whisky" but its "local".

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

AlternateNu posted:

I’m still waiting on my submersible carrier. :colbert:

Just imagine the wings vs. dolphins turf wars.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dorstein posted:

Just imagine the wings vs. dolphins turf wars.

Wait wait wait....are you telling me that there is an air division of the Navy? And they have their own warfare device?

I don't believe any of that.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Flyinglemur posted:

Wait wait wait....are you telling me that there is an air division of the Navy? And they have their own warfare device?

I don't believe any of that.

Literally everyone has some sort of pin now. Did you see the abortion that is the new MA pin? They even had the audacity to make it a progressive pin like the divers. Still think the top 2 pins out there are the Beersws and the honch rat pins.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pray what tell is a honchrat?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Holla holla honchrat

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1699115969480724967?t=H_RaT9hmJDSH8nXk0P9-lw&s=19

Lol dude got a FLOC for saving a dozen of his shipmates, the Navy always remains the same

I got a FLOC as an IS2 for helping the embarked one-stars flag writer master chief

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lol I got one at fleet week for convincing a printer to work.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1699115969480724967?t=H_RaT9hmJDSH8nXk0P9-lw&s=19

Lol dude got a FLOC for saving a dozen of his shipmates, the Navy always remains the same

I got a FLOC as an IS2 for helping the embarked one-stars flag writer master chief

Tbf nobody got awards back then. Look at photos of Nimitz and he has like 4 ribbons

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Per some responses, they upgraded it to a NAM a few years ago. Which is the same medal Kennedy got for doing the same thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got a NAM for amusing the vice president for shits sake they should have raised it to right below the MoH.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PneumonicBook posted:

The Cruisers that are finally getting decommed have been recommended for decommissioning for years at this point. The LCS only make sense from the standpoint of keeping shipyards open, because it turns out it's incredibly difficult and expensive to spin up a shipyard out of whole cloth.
Switch to building tall ships, sell the movie rights, beep boop so simple. Just move back from wood to steel when you need the real stuff!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I got a nam for unfucking the paintlocker as a SN. The XO was reading everyone’s full citation as the skipper pinned us. When he got to me, he said “to SN Nice for… unscrewing the paint locker” without saying anything actually on the citation.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've seen cooks get NAMs for cooking tasty dinners for Admirals, lol.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Our entire CS div got NAMS for cooking a good meal for our VIP cruise. They cooked barely edible poo poo before and after in the same underway. But the command asked zero questions about the quality of food they were feeding us. Despite even the captain eating that same food.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Crab Dad posted:

Pray what tell is a honchrat?

The Honch is the american alley in Yokosuka

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

Per some responses, they upgraded it to a NAM a few years ago. Which is the same medal Kennedy got for doing the same thing.

ackshually JFK got a Navy and Marine Corps Medal, it's a little bigger than a NAM

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
An SH3 got a NAM for keeping the soda machines full during my first deployment to Somalia. Same ship gave a COM to a Chief that used his rear end to plug a hole in the hull where a paint scraper had gone through, in the engineering spaces. Same Chief that couldn't transfer because he was too fat.

Goddamn I wish I was making this up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
It was a temporary fix while the DC team was getting the correct materials