Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021

DickParasite posted:

Happy birthday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

These were things I got to do with my son this weekend because I was finally able to find something that worked for me, at the age of 40.

Please seek help if you need it and understand that everyone's different. AA and rehab didn't really work for me. My solution was meds and lifestyle improvements. Do what works best for you.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Odddzy posted:

Rest In Peace Steve Harwell. If you become a ghost please forgive the tasteless jokes in this thread. Do not haunt me please.

sorry already talked to him in the spirit realm

said he’s haunting you and youre the only one he’s gonna do it to :shrug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chief McHeath posted:

sorry already talked to him in the spirit realm

said he’s haunting you and youre the only one he’s gonna do it to :shrug:

is anyone talking about me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

davecrazy posted:

meh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0LPGOVI7mQ

lol holy poo poo this is the blurb from their management companies own web site.

WHEN YOU BOOK THIS BAND YOU WILL NOT BE GETTING THE TRAINWRECK YOUTUBE VERSION!

This guy sucks

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Smashmouth played my county fair this last summer and I regretted not viewing the spectacle but now that I know that YouTube drunk Smashmouth wasn't there, I regret nothing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

This guy sucks

thats a smash mouth cover band right

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Chinatown posted:

thats a smash mouth cover band right

The only original member of smash mouth in the band is the bassist lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i think they should keep touring even after the bassist dies. other bands should do this too. any band to go platinum should have a permanent licensed cover band using their name so you can still see them LIVE!!!!

bloodmeal
Sep 30, 2017
he could smash my mouth on a bed if ykwis💅

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

AARD VARKMAN posted:

i think they should keep touring even after the bassist dies. other bands should do this too. any band to go platinum should have a permanent licensed cover band using their name so you can still see them LIVE!!!!

Ah yes, the Dokken approach

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Edmund Sparkler posted:

These were things I got to do with my son this weekend because I was finally able to find something that worked for me, at the age of 40.

Please seek help if you need it and understand that everyone's different. AA and rehab didn't really work for me. My solution was meds and lifestyle improvements. Do what works best for you.

I'm glad for you, but especially happy for your kid!

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

in a different reality I might have enjoyed that All Stars thing but I hated Shrek, then there was that music video and wtf is going on with that goatee? His body shape he couldn't change but I honestly thought Shrek was mocking him for it, only to later find out that wasn't the case. Big head. Rip

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Wifi Toilet posted:

Beard by Rudy Giuliani

beard was era appropriate

AARD VARKMAN posted:

reminds me of when I saw The Ramones at a festival in Beijing and it was really just the second drummer and a bunch of brazilian guys somehow touring as The Ramones

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 5, 2023

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
I'd really like to know where everyone in the band was at in their heads during the tour(s) where Steve would be shitfaced, make a scene, and leave while the rest of the band just continued the set. Making it as a musician can mean that you're playing music that you're not really passionate about or interested in, but being on the road as a member of Smash Mouth knowing your front man is going to be a belligerent mess every night sounds like a ring of hell.

Looks like they struggled with their drummers spontaneously combusting as well:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

W.T. Fits posted:

Then the Mourning Comes

OK I'd forgotten/didn't realize this was a smash mouth song and now I'm actually a little sad because I listened to this song over and over as a kid. :(

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Honestly, Zach Goode adds to the list of great frontman replacements. As a live performer, I think he's actually better than Steve Harwell himself. He's got better vocal technique singing and he has a more bright, confident stage presence. When it came to the studio recording of "Never Gonna Give You Up" (Rick Roll), I actually didn't know it was a different singer. Not to mention, for Steve live in both the present and past, being drunk has overridden his control when singing or speaking. Zach live, on the other hand, appears sober, and gives the crowd moments of uplifting interactive speech. Steve will remain the bigger icon and face of the group, but Zach is the improved lead performer.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Caesar Saladin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D17_JVfgYQ

A video of him in his better days, at full power levels.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Beard by Rudy Giuliani

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

flubber nuts posted:

Zach live, on the other hand, appears sober, and gives the crowd moments of uplifting interactive speech.
Big fan of moments of uplifting interactive speech here.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

rivid posted:

I'd really like to know where everyone in the band was at in their heads during the tour(s) where Steve would be shitfaced, make a scene, and leave while the rest of the band just continued the set. Making it as a musician can mean that you're playing music that you're not really passionate about or interested in, but being on the road as a member of Smash Mouth knowing your front man is going to be a belligerent mess every night sounds like a ring of hell.

Looks like they struggled with their drummers spontaneously combusting as well:

man smashmouth really burned through the theremin players

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
they don't even list the glass harmonica players there. too many to count and nobody bothered to learn their names

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
theremin for the grace of god go aI

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

In all seriousness in the Smashmouth thread, if any of you find yourself drinking every day and can't quit on your own, you will need some kind of recovery group and probably at least detox to quit. Rehab is the best option if your insurance will cover it or you can afford it out of pocket. Don't just try to white knuckle your way through it. And don't wait until you do permanent damage or start hitting rock bottom in a social sense.

Yeah. This. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, folks. “It’s not a party if it happens every night.”

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Also don’t be afraid to seek alternative help if the help you initially sought sucked rear end. Don’t let anyone tell you there’s a one size fits all solution to this sort of problem. There’s a plethora of options out there for all sorts of personalities, beliefs and temperaments, something I’d have greatly benefited from knowing earlier

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

BeefThief posted:

now im a bereaver

W.T. Fits posted:

Then the Mourning Comes

:golfclap:

bloodmeal posted:

he could smash my mouth on a bed if ykwis💅

Come on now, he's a man of respect :colbert:

he prefers to be addressed as padrino

edit: :ninja:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 5, 2023

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So we basically watched man spiral into several alcoholism after his six month old son died from leukemia, that he never recovered from huh.
I... I don't have anything witty to say here, that's just brutally sad.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Yesterdays Latte posted:

Wonder why it is that famous people keep dying on my birthday. Off the top of my head, Steve Irwin, Jimmy Buffett only a couple days before today, Smash Mouth, some dudes I can't remember right now... I know it's probably just observation bias, but it's weird that they're all people that I happened to like or enjoy at some point or another. Cursed I guess?

Blessed, since it wasn't you that died and you're not a famous person yourself.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So we basically watched man spiral into several alcoholism after his six month old son died from leukemia, that he never recovered from huh.
I... I don't have anything witty to say here, that's just brutally sad.

The thing about addicts is that for some they need to hit bottom before they can quit. A guy like that with unlimited resources (see also Bam) can put off getting sober as long as they've got money to get their DOC and keep a roof over their head.

If I were rich I don't know if I'd have been able to quit either.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
:( in heaven he can team up with Linkin Park guy and make the most gloriously lovely music the angels have ever heard

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Bismack Billabongo posted:

This sucks, RIP. Astrolounge was the first cd I ever got my parents to buy for me lol.

Somebody do a wellness check on the guy from crazy town, he’s in the batters box now

that’s true actually lol. last I heard from one of my music friends who’s from the same place as the guy, he was pretty messed up on crack, & that was approaching a decade ago now

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

Gonna go ahead and say probs not.

Then again some people can shoot heroin and bounce back.

In any case it's bad advice to give.

oh hey it’s me. opes are a weird one tbh. outside of their addiction potential they aren’t that dangerous on their own from a physical health standpoint, what makes them most dangerous has to do with the conditions surrounding the drug, leading it to being turbo adulterated. If you could get a source for pure stuff that would never run out (like say a script) you’d likely live a long and happy life and suffer minimal consequences

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

OldAlias posted:

oh hey it’s me. opes are a weird one tbh. outside of their addiction potential they aren’t that dangerous on their own from a physical health standpoint, what makes them most dangerous has to do with the conditions surrounding the drug, leading it to being turbo adulterated. If you could get a source for pure stuff that would never run out (like say a script) you’d likely live a long and happy life and suffer minimal consequences

one of the dumbest posts i've read in a while. thank you, doctor

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

LordArgh posted:

one of the dumbest posts i've read in a while. thank you, doctor

programs that give users access to a safe supply of the drugs they need pretty universally result in better health outcomes, idk why that’s dumb, but this doesn’t have much to do with dead mouth

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

OldAlias posted:

programs that give users access to a safe supply of the drugs they need pretty universally result in better health outcomes, idk why that’s dumb, but this doesn’t have much to do with dead mouth

I think you're just saying safe injection programs work, which is undoubtedly true, but it also seems you're saying it's impossible to overdose on medical grade opiates, which is definitely not true.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OldAlias posted:

programs that give users access to a safe supply of the drugs they need pretty universally result in better health outcomes

that's because they make you talk to counselors and do some basic medical checkups before they give you the drugs, and the "better outcomes" include more people getting off drugs

and also they only give you a limited amount, not as much as you want

people had terrible health problems from opiates long before fentanyl and the war on drugs

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 5, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
:yikes:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Calling each other idiots over a heroin discussion is a terrible memorial for Steve "Smash Mouth" Harwell :douche:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It ain't no joke, I'd like to buy the world a toke
And teach the world to sing in perfect harmony
And teach the world to snuff the fires and the liars
Hey, I know it's just a song, but it's spice for the recipe
This is a love attack, I know it went out, but it's back
It's just like any fad, it retracts before impact
And just like fashion it's a passion for the with-it and hip
If you got the goods, they'll come and buy it
Just to stay in the clique