Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
This has driven me crazy for years: webpages that bring you to a username and password screen, but it’s to sign up, not log in. So after entering my username and password (which is annoying to do with my thumbs), I get back a “wtf you already have an account dumbass” type message and finally notice a tiny link at the bottom that says “Already have an account? Click here!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
You can log in with Google or you can log in with a username and password and also this site is a Google affiliated site so you don't know if you're supposed to log in with your Google account details or the other email and password.

Also maybe you need a username and an email and a password but there's no reason to ever have a username.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Google maps changed some of their colors and it looks so much worse now. When mapping out multiple stops, the color of the path to the later stops is nearly indistinguishable from the background in dark mode, while the alternate routes are glaringly bright.

I hate it.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

naem posted:

earbuds fall out of my ear and with no wires i’d lose them instantly

and no quality waterproof headphones with an actual headband exist that I could jog with those don’t exist anymore

I've tried several different types of over-ear exercise headphones over the years. I have zero shame buying and returning lovely electronics, so I shop around, and headphones was something I actually spent time on. I have a weird ear shape apparently, plus I sweat like crazy when I run, any in-ear headphones were a non-starter. After trying probably a dozen different brands, JBL Endurance Peak 3 work the best for me.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

DoctorTristan posted:

I’ve been using (a previous model of) these for 3 years now and they’ve been holding up pretty great, so long as you’re fine with bone conduction.

https://uk.shokz.com/products/openrun

However i have no idea whether anyone outside the UK is going to be able to click through that link, which is a thing that got really lovely in the last few years.

Also rickrolls just straight up don’t work anymore now that the victim has to fill out a cookie consent form and watch 30 seconds of ads first.

I don't know why this is the thing that really brings it home for me, but here we are at the end of an era.

Also seconding Shokz, their poo poo is awesome and their customer support is fantastic.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
I've noticed that if you play any kind of puzzle or word game app, the ads for other lovely word apps say things like "scientists recommend our game to prevent dementia!!" And I just feel like it should be illegal to make false medical claims in ads. Though that would probably get rid of half of the clickbait ads out there.

Lurk Ethic posted:

This has driven me crazy for years: webpages that bring you to a username and password screen, but it’s to sign up, not log in. So after entering my username and password (which is annoying to do with my thumbs), I get back a “wtf you already have an account dumbass” type message and finally notice a tiny link at the bottom that says “Already have an account? Click here!”

I hate this too. Why is the login link always so tiny?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I just feel like it should be illegal to make false medical claims in ads.

You'd put every chiropractor out of work!

(this is a good thing)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I went to Home Depot to buy some Husky jumper cables for my late dad’s truck because both the website and the app had a pair listed for $9.88. The cables were $19.98 in store, and when I asked an associate why the price difference, they told me that the online/app price was for shipping or pickup only. When I showed them the button in the app that toggles from shipping/pickup to “in store today” and that there wasn’t a price difference between the two, I just got a *shrug* and a “sorry.”

A cashier overheard my dilemma, pulled me aside and told me not to worry about it, they think the price difference for online vs. in store is bullshit since everything comes from the same company anyway and gave me two jumper cables at $9.88 because I was a kind and patient customer and not an entitled one. You loving rock, you awesome cashier!

But this whole online vs. in store pricing really is bullshit. Give me one price and stick with it.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Every associate at home depot used to (and likely still does) have the authority to change a price up to 50 bucks without manager input. This is often used for things like out of stock price matching but seems like it should have applied in your situation also. I would have adjusted it down to honor the online price.

Edit: if this no longer is the case, it's gotten shittier.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

humpthewind posted:

Every associate at home depot used to (and likely still does) have the authority to change a price up to 50 bucks without manager input. This is often used for things like out of stock price matching but seems like it should have applied in your situation also. I would have adjusted it down to honor the online price.

Edit: if this no longer is the case, it's gotten shittier.

The first associate (I think) wasn’t a cashier, but we were near the cashiers and that’s how the cashier overheard my confusion. She did tell me she was honoring the online price, which was really cool.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I've noticed that if you play any kind of puzzle or word game app, the ads for other lovely word apps say things like "scientists recommend our game to prevent dementia!!" And I just feel like it should be illegal to make false medical claims in ads. Though that would probably get rid of half of the clickbait ads out there.

isnt this dark pattern strat of putting things on multiple different pages is so they get more ads on new pages?

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Someone's fuckin OKR is attached to the new signups metric this half. Depending on how much traffic the site gets, even a handful of people being confused enough to set up new accounts may mean some line on a dashboard goes up slightly instead of staying flat.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
2 Home Depot experiences

1. Went to put in a lumber order for a deck, was sent to the Pro Desk. It was empty so I flagged an employee down who made a quick phone call and said they’d be there in 5. Eventuality someone showed up only to tell me the Pro Desk is closed.

2. Bought a floating vinyl flooring for the bathroom and arranged for installation because I don’t know anything. Subcontracted to Crew2. Never do business with Crew2. I had to do a full investigation just to get a phone number (all of their numbers online were wrong) after months with no word. Eventually sent a guy who immediately gave up b/c Crew2 didn’t arrange to have the toilet taken out first. Eventually was told they are incapable of removing and replacing the toilet in the same 24 hr period and they pretended like it’s always been that way. It’s a 1ba house. Forced HD to take their stock back and fully reimburse.

I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of a flooring (sub)contractor job that wasn’t a shitshow from beginning to end, so may have just always been this lovely. But Crew2’s listed phone number redirected to an medical emergency hotline several states to the left, which seems like a new high score for shittiness.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CalamityKate posted:

Someone's fuckin OKR is attached to the new signups metric this half. Depending on how much traffic the site gets, even a handful of people being confused enough to set up new accounts may mean some line on a dashboard goes up slightly instead of staying flat.

It’s probably more for the “Dumb poo poo your work does” thread, but we introduced OKRs as part of Eng planning this year at work and it’s been a loving shitshow. If it gives the managers enough to do that they don’t get antsy and claw back WFH I guess it’s fine, but teams are now forced to invest a huge amount of time to create, wordsmith, and track the drat things.

The biggest part of the problem is that managers seemed to be able to come up with plenty of O’s, but didn’t bother to figure out the KRs, so now we have to go through and backfill all that so that all the green blocks in a spreadsheet stay green.

It’s really great to spend 40 minutes in a team meeting trying to define a metric for something that is currently untracked and is entirely dependent on how other teams operate.

IMO, OKRs were always a lovely make-work bandaid, so I suppose they haven’t gotten worse.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Ks have always been the worst imho

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

humpthewind posted:

Do you have Pokemon Go installed? I am experiencing this too and the internet told me it was from Go

Thanks for this because yep same.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

I went to Home Depot to buy some Husky jumper cables for my late dad’s truck because both the website and the app had a pair listed for $9.88. The cables were $19.98 in store, and when I asked an associate why the price difference, they told me that the online/app price was for shipping or pickup only. When I showed them the button in the app that toggles from shipping/pickup to “in store today” and that there wasn’t a price difference between the two, I just got a *shrug* and a “sorry.”

A cashier overheard my dilemma, pulled me aside and told me not to worry about it, they think the price difference for online vs. in store is bullshit since everything comes from the same company anyway and gave me two jumper cables at $9.88 because I was a kind and patient customer and not an entitled one. You loving rock, you awesome cashier!

But this whole online vs. in store pricing really is bullshit. Give me one price and stick with it.

You just reminded me about a similar experience I had at Target. I had a slow leak in a tire and went to buy a portable air compressor from them, looked it up online and they had one in stock. I got there and it was like $9 more expensive than what was listed. The lower price was only for online orders, or if you order online for in-store pickup.

So if I ordered it an hour ago and made some associate spend their time walking over, grabbing it and then bring it back to the front counter so I could pick it up and pay for it, I could have saved $9. Instead I paid $9 extra for going into the store and taking it off the shelf myself. I just don’t understand.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

It’s dumb but just buy it on the app right there and walk it over to customer service / pickup. I’ve done it at Walmart for a waffle iron. It might take a few more minutes but if the price difference is $10 it’s probably worth it

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Noobles posted:

You just reminded me about a similar experience I had at Target. I had a slow leak in a tire and went to buy a portable air compressor from them, looked it up online and they had one in stock. I got there and it was like $9 more expensive than what was listed. The lower price was only for online orders, or if you order online for in-store pickup.

So if I ordered it an hour ago and made some associate spend their time walking over, grabbing it and then bring it back to the front counter so I could pick it up and pay for it, I could have saved $9. Instead I paid $9 extra for going into the store and taking it off the shelf myself. I just don’t understand.

They’re “driving engagement” in their lovely app, and getting a lot more tracking data out of you. Same reason for an “app only” menu at Taco Bell, and I presume other restaurants.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

rafikki posted:

They’re “driving engagement” in their lovely app, and getting a lot more tracking data out of you. Same reason for an “app only” menu at Taco Bell, and I presume other restaurants.

I think a lot of restaurants use digital menus to surge-price and other gamesmanship

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
I also wonder if they charge more in-store because you're already there so you're more likely to just buy it. Whereas if you're shopping online you can look at other options and find it cheaper.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i mean depending on the price diff, if its a small enough gap why not.

1) i probably need/watn it now and even amazon and its "two day" is too slow.
2) its probably real, because legacy (lol at tech bros thinking old good policy poo poo is dumb and something they can ignore) physical stores make sure their inventory isnt a dropship poo poo fake. or the brand isnt a dropship poo poo random string of letters.
3) i can get instant returns/exchanges or store credit

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A music shop refused to sell me a bag of 12 guitar picks I found on the rack because someone had 'already purchased it online'

this is Mannys Music, a large chain with several stores across the country including a distribution warehouse.

If its purchased, why is it on the rack?
why isnt there a bin in the store room out back for online purchases?
in respect to the online purchaser, what the hell is my order doing sitting on the rack instead of in an envelope or box ready to dispatch? what happens if I stole that item off the rack given it was a) there and b) I was told I cannot pay for it?

additionally why in blue gently caress is there only one loving bag of .88 Maxx Grip Dunlop picks in stock in a capital loving city? this specific item was out of stock at every single store that listed it as a product. this is always how its been here in Australia, but being held to ransom by monopolies for distribution/import of specific brands which impacts almost every sector is annoying as gently caress. Try and support my local store by buying poo poo there, or because its the weekend and I need it today, and oops sorry its out of stock, we can order it for you, and in 12-20 weeks when the distributor has enough backorders to fill a container for that brand, they will order it, then 6 weeks later it'll be here, another 2 weeks to go through customs and deliver to the store.

meanwhile I have gone home, ordered it at the same price or less from china plus shipping, and its here in 5 days.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 5, 2023

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i believe the rule should be if you want me to install an app to give you money i will gladly do it if I also get to cut your CEO and take some measure of blood from them. not a lot of blood, just like 75 ml. then i'll install an app

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Been looking for a rental after being off the market for a few years and one agent was demanding a screenshot of my credit report before they would even let me arrange a viewing.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I got a macbook from my work, and I noticed the keyboard was verrrrry slightly wrong. This is because IT got one with an "Irish" keyboard layout I never heard of but seems to be the default option for Ireland. It switches the @ and " keys around, it replaces ` with some weird S and it messes up single quotes - if I type 'e it will write it as é. I'm a programmer by trade so these symbols in particular are things I gotta use a lot. I had to install a british keyboard layout to fix it but the keys are labelled wrong which is annoying.

Irish is basically a dead language that is barely used outside of classrooms so it's super weird that Apple would even make such a niche use case, let alone consider it the default option. I guess maybe some government body that is trying to keep the Irish language alive decided to be relevant by making a special keyboard layout and part of Apple's special tax evasion agreement is to build laptops that use it.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 5, 2023

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Watch a single Paradox game tutorial video or listen to just one ancient history podcast episode and Google will decide you want to be fed chud content forever.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Further Reading posted:

I got a macbook from my work, and I noticed the keyboard was verrrrry slightly wrong. This is because IT got one with an "Irish" keyboard layout I never heard of but seems to be the default option for Ireland. It switches the @ and " keys around, it replaces ` with some weird S and it messes up single quotes - if I type 'e it will write it as é. I'm a programmer by trade so these symbols in particular are things I gotta use a lot. I had to install a british keyboard layout to fix it but the keys are labelled wrong which is annoying.

Irish is basically a dead language that is barely used outside of classrooms so it's super weird that Apple would even make such a niche use case, let alone consider it the default option. I guess maybe some government body that is trying to keep the Irish language alive decided to be relevant by making a special keyboard layout and part of Apple's special tax evasion agreement is to build laptops that use it.

You speak Irish???

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Further Reading posted:

Eh, I can't begrudge Apple for offering niche keyboard layouts. Sounds like your IT department just got the wrong tool for the job.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

DoctorTristan posted:

Been looking for a rental after being off the market for a few years and one agent was demanding a screenshot of my credit report before they would even let me arrange a viewing.

I’m always puzzled by these sorts of loosy goosy controls. By the time you’re arguing with me about sending you a screenshot it’s hit the effort level for me to make a forgery and it’s actually probably easier to do that than provide an authentic document anyhow.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Internet Old One posted:

I’m always puzzled by these sorts of loosy goosy controls. By the time you’re arguing with me about sending you a screenshot it’s hit the effort level for me to make a forgery and it’s actually probably easier to do that than provide an authentic document anyhow.

“Yeah, I have a 1540 credit score, I got a 780 on math and a 760 on English. Didn’t even take the PFICO.“

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

redshirt posted:

You speak Irish???

I had an Irish class in every year of pre college education, but I'm still far from conversational. The most I can brag is that I know the difference between our 5 verb tenses and can still write in 4 of them, which puts me leagues ahead of pretty much the entire non-fluent population my age.

Edit:
Here's a bonus Irish lesson.

Bhuail mé le do mhamaí - I banged your Mom
Buailim le do mhamaí - I am banging your Mom
Buailfhidh mé le do mhamaí - I will bang your Mom
Bhuailfinn le do mhamaí - I would bang your Mom.
The one I can't remember is the past present tense - I used to bang your Mom.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 5, 2023

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Frozen vegetables. Every grocery store is down to a fraction of the aisle's old size, and what's there is 50% cauliflower-shaped-like-something-else, and 50% normandy veggie mix.

I just want some pearl onions.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I went to Dunkin Donuts and I've always thought their hot coffee and hot food were terrible but they've actually gotten worse. At least if you used to order hazelnut or french vanilla, you got something resembling coffee. Now they squirt synthetic flavoring in, and it's just terrible

And another thing, the bagels are smaller than they used to be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes breakfast sandwiches everywhere are about 50% to 70% the size of pre covid

Which isn’t a bad thing ignoring the money o guess

naem
May 29, 2011

food everywhere has gotten worse, smaller, more expensive and even junk food is no long fully Flavor Blasted™️©️

I’m earning more than I have ever and have gone back to my college era rice-and-beans-cook-at-home diet

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember the day at the grocery store when I found two carts filled with Campbell’s Chunky soups that had really good dates on for a ridiculous amount off. I was really confused until I got to the aisle and saw the section with new, smaller cans for the same price as the old one. They wanted those things out fast before customers noticed!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Junk posted:

you can switch that back to normal though

this is what ur supposed to do since forever ago

and how's that work, smartass? i'm not even the only person complaining about this

Oh I gotta make 5 edits into the registry? Shame on me WHOOPSIE that's so simple!!!!!!!

Why do ppl ride the M$ dick so hard?? Such an inept and unlikable company

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DoctorTristan posted:

Watch a single Paradox game tutorial video or listen to just one ancient history podcast episode and Google will decide you want to be fed chud content forever.

Just say I don't want to see this creator/kind of stuff, it works really well. You might have to do it fast, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Twitter keeps trying to show me cctv footage of people getting into fights and YouTube keeps trying to show me body cam footage of cops shooting and killing people. I don't know what poor decisions I've made to make the algorithm think I'm into that stuff but I will repent as soon as I figure out what wrong thing I clicked on.