Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

honda whisperer posted:

Jesus gently caress y'all be mad at container ships registered in Panama burning bunker oil, and Elon making the boring company to murder high speed rail, and the Koch's etc.

I made my truck reliable by deleting some emissions isn't the same as rolling coal because gently caress you don't care.

idk that removing emissions components from a dieselgate vw is making things worse when the poo poo didn't work to begin with.

ama about staying emissions intact and burning up $3000 turbos every 900 miles that take 9 hours to replace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A rich VC guy on my gamedev friends' industry discord ragequit the server since we kept bullying the Cybertruck and he had a pre-order. I laugh about that sometimes

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
S'OK?
S'alright.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Plastic inner fenders, to which the massive wiper motor is bolted... I'm sure that won't be an issue.

Not plastic; that's cast aluminum with primer on it. Tesla doesn't paint anything that gets covered up by other stuff. Including what they call the FUB and RUB castings (front under body, rear under body; that's the FUB you're looking at). I assume production versions will have most of that buried under trim.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 2, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

WOO WOOOOO!!!!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

that's the wind whistling between the body panels

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I like dunking on Tesla poo poo too, but like....... Take the gloves off before touching the touch screen?

My phone has a "glove mode" for the screen, but it's a caterpillar branded phone and thus supposed tobe used for "work", do normal touch screens have that?

If the truck is never meant to be used on a work site / on a job then sure no need.

Other trucks have ergonomic designs to accommodate use of gloves which is generally a nice design feature.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

idk that removing emissions components from a dieselgate vw is making things worse when the poo poo didn't work to begin with.

ama about staying emissions intact and burning up $3000 turbos every 900 miles that take 9 hours to replace.

I read your thread and thought about mentioning that hell but didn't want to drag you into this slap fight.

I wouldn't have the mental strength or financial option to go through what you did and stay emissions compliant.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

It's just for decoration man, that's it and that's all.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Lake of Methane posted:

The windshield already has a crack.

]

It's to match the interior. The driver’s headrest is already splitting at the seams

That Works posted:

If the truck is never meant to be used on a work site / on a job then sure no need.

Other trucks have ergonomic designs to accommodate use of gloves which is generally a nice design feature.

No, they took that fleet vehicle interior idea and made the seats look less comfortable than the ones in a 2002 Chevy Express

Functionality aside, I thought we had largely moved on from the iPad. I get that he can't make a car with switches and toggles because they'd rattle apart on a smooth stretch of interstate, but no one is doing infotainment like that anymore. It's like a concept car from 2015, not a luxury truck from whatever modern year that actually gets released in

E: it's like I'm being shown a BRICS knockoff of the Cybertruck that somehow beat the real one to market

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 2, 2023

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

THATS ONLY IN THA MORNIN'

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Door Frame posted:

Functionality aside, I thought we had largely moved on from the iPad. I get that he can't make a car with switches and toggles because they'd rattle apart on a smooth stretch of interstate, but no one is doing infotainment like that anymore.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Exactly, a lovely concept car. Now look at obnoxious BMW interiors meant to be interacted with:

Lots of physical buttons to go with that twin monitor display, and the infotainment system is integrated into the dash instead of stuck on as an afterthought

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Tesla is trash but my Miata, which has physical buttons and knobs, has the laggiest, most frustrating infotainment system.

At least on our Model Y with unit is responsive, doesn't lag, or hang, and does what I ask it.

I do not use it while driving, but it is way way better than what Mazda puts out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

“Still showing up in concept cars” doesn’t seem to equal “we’ve moved on from this” but what do I know.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

Tesla is trash but my Miata, which has physical buttons and knobs, has the laggiest, most frustrating infotainment system.

At least on our Model Y with unit is responsive, doesn't lag, or hang, and does what I ask it.

I do not use it while driving, but it is way way better than what Mazda puts out.

That's because the Miata is a car and the Tesla is a liquid-cooled computer with four wheels

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

“Still showing up in concept cars” doesn’t seem to equal “we’ve moved on from this” but what do I know.

You know that's a pretty shaky argument. There's thousands upon thousands of concept cars that have very little to do with a production vehicle because of the experimental nature of concept cars. Even when there's a direct connection like the Supra and FT-1, the design is substantially different in several key areas because someone has to actually drive the Supra on a regular basis instead of just a handful of times that the FT-1 gets shown

I'm always happy to bring up this abomination when people talk about the design of concept cars vs production cars. The infotainment is even bigger and there's somehow fewer control surfaces than any other manually operated car I've seen
https://youtu.be/HQtGmyVaUu4?si=HkFl51sY_ctptTEj

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Ugh is it that bad? Because it's seriously one of the reasons I'm considering a later NC over an early ND. I like my tunes, the Pioneer double din in my xB is perfect, and in the NC I can easily swap in an aftermarket unit just like it but I'm hosed with the ND.

I'm gonna drive both here soon, and given the NC's are way cheaper right now the ND would really have to blow me away with how it drives. I'd have to look into what people are doing with the ND infotainment to make it better if it's even possible.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
On the surface it looks the same as what's in my '18 Mazda3. Its... not great, not terrible. I exclusively use it for CarPlay and while the general implementation is fine, it has some issues with freezing or lagging occasionally. I do like the little wheel in the centre console to control it, after driving a car with a newer/bigger screen that was touchscreen only I found myself wishing for the wheel. As always physical controls >>>>>>>>>>> touchscreen.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ugh is it that bad? Because it's seriously one of the reasons I'm considering a later NC over an early ND. I like my tunes, the Pioneer double din in my xB is perfect, and in the NC I can easily swap in an aftermarket unit just like it but I'm hosed with the ND.

I'm gonna drive both here soon, and given the NC's are way cheaper right now the ND would really have to blow me away with how it drives. I'd have to look into what people are doing with the ND infotainment to make it better if it's even possible.

The ND Sport trim doesn't have infotainment but you can't get those new any more because they don't have a backup camera.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

and while dealers aren't rich enough to matter as big donors in national politics,
Just wait till you hear about realtors, who *are* rich enough to matter as big donors in national politics

And by big donors, I mean the biggest donor.

Guinness posted:

WA state DOT is all too eager to impose at the first hint of snow.
Having just arrived here I'm curious, do those auto chains that many emergency vehicles have that hang from a disc that can be lowered to press on the sidewall and spin outward under the tires count as chains for this law or only "real" chains?

cursedshitbox posted:

I wonder how many kg of CO2 each of those turbos saved in its short life, and how many it took to create each.

Lake of Methane posted:

The windshield already has a crack.

]
Why is there an unplugged harness connector right there? Looks like an mx150

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

kastein posted:

Oh, that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's just for decoration man, that's it and that's all.

Fatrick posted:

THATS ONLY IN THA MORNIN'

:allears:

The entire time I worked there, only ONE person got any of the references. ONE.

mobby_6kl posted:

That's because the Miata is a car and the Tesla is a liquid-cooled computer with four wheels

Oh boy let me tell you how much fun it is when the car is powered up for the first time.. and you discover the MCU itself has a defect. They go into factory mode while on the line, but if, say... bad display, or the MCU just flat out isn't powering up (there's only a couple of things that would prevent the MCU from trying to boot)... you can't pull the car out of the line. It has to finish being completely assembled. Then the entire interior comes back out (the MCU is one of the very first things that goes in). By the time it finishes booting and reporting issues to the WAN, the entire interior except for the seats is already in the car, it's not far away from getting glass and doors installed either.

kastein posted:

At least on the Model Y, there's a fancy BCM on the firewall with a similar plug (and I'm pretty sure I see something similar behind it). It can be damaged by voltage spikes (note the jumper cables hooked up.. and the "12V" battery is actually 16V these days, but connecting to a 12V battery is enough to pull in the HV contactor and get the car to power up + start charging the LV battery). And if it's fried, the entire car is completely dead and non-responsive. No lights, no locks, no contactors, nothing works at all.

I got to watch one of the techs troubleshoot a car for nearly a week before finally deciding that was why the car was dead. He claimed he'd only ever seen one or two others fail. Usually they're able to sniff CAN data (Tesla puts both ethernet and serial connections in the cars, and I've seen them go so far as to backprobe connectors, vampire tap into CAN wires, etc), but even CAN was completely dead. No signs of life without that little guy. It's also a PITA to replace - it's bolted in from behind the dash.

I see one of the 16V power supplies they use for testing/diagnostics/giving the LV battery a bit more oomph when it's low hanging out at the bottom too. The ones used at the factory have jumper cable leads.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 4, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

randomidiot posted:

you can't pull the car out of the line. It has to finish being completely assembled.
Elon smrt

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Also why would the MCU be so loving buried that it's so difficult to swap? How much of the interior are we talking about that has to be removed?

I feel like that would be a good thing to have easily accessible and swappable, especially considering how many iterations they've gone through trying to make FSD work. I've never had a car where it takes more than a couple trim pieces and maybe pulling back a little carpet to get the main computer out, though

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

kastein posted:

Having just arrived here I'm curious, do those auto chains that many emergency vehicles have that hang from a disc that can be lowered to press on the sidewall and spin outward under the tires count as chains for this law or only "real" chains?

IANAL

Unless I'm reading the law wrong, provided proper winter tires are mounted on the vehicle, it looks like they fall under "Alternative Traction Devices", and are legal as the only traction devices carried if the GVWR of the vehicle/combination is 10,000lb or less. If the GVWR is 10,000lb. or more, additional chains must be carried for the rear-most outside trailer wheels.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Having a hard time imagining any vehicle typically equipped with those having a GVWR under 10k lbs

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Steve French posted:

Having a hard time imagining any vehicle typically equipped with those having a GVWR under 10k lbs

Yeah.

Reading into WDOT/WSP's regulations a bit more, it also seems to state that any vehicle/combination with five axles also has to carry extra chains. There can't be a lot of poo poo with five axles that weighs less than 10k.

Maybe they are covering their bases with regards to Alternative Traction Devices, which also includes tire socks and composite snow chains. Washington even has a list of what brands of ATDs are tested and approved, and for what kind of drivetrain they are approved for:

Fwd*
Rwd*
Awd/4x4
>5 axles**
<5 axles**

* passenger vehicles under 10k lb
** vehicles/combinations over 10k lb

Washington seems pretty strict on approved tires, chains, and ATDs for winter weather, but they (by law) have to be able to prove via testing that they meet certain standards. Sounds reasonable.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PitViper posted:

Also why would the MCU be so loving buried that it's so difficult to swap? How much of the interior are we talking about that has to be removed?

I feel like that would be a good thing to have easily accessible and swappable, especially considering how many iterations they've gone through trying to make FSD work. I've never had a car where it takes more than a couple trim pieces and maybe pulling back a little carpet to get the main computer out, though

It's roughly where a heater core would be on a traditional car (the latest versions are also liquid cooled). Not quite the same level of PITA as a heater core on most cars, but you'll still be removing airbags, lots of trim, etc. Usually you disassemble it in place and swap the board, IIRC?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 5, 2023

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

randomidiot posted:

It's roughly where a heater core would be on a traditional car (the latest versions are also liquid cooled). Not quite the same level of PITA as a heater core on most cars, but you'll still be removing airbags, lots of trim, etc. Usually you disassemble it in place and swap the board, IIRC?

:wtc:

That's pants on head stupid. You clean-sheet design a car that removes all the packaging nonsense of ICE and traditional power trains, and then you bury what is probably the next most likely failure point besides the motors and batteries up behind the dashboard. Why not make it accessible from the frunk, with just an access panel and electrical/cooling connectors?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Then consumers might start getting ideas about their right to repair things...

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Having it buried is a dumb packaging failure, but I can't imagine any other modern production line has the ability to pull a car off the line? If nothing else, it's gunna cause problems further down the line when say, the seats or whatever else that match that VIN are waiting for that chassis further down the line.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, forcing the car down the production line is the least unexpected part of the story, given how automotive production lines are set up. I'm more amazed at the lack of sense to the packaging, but then again it IS Tesla.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To me it's a combination of awful packaging and terrible quality control - surely they could implement a test harness for the computers before putting them deep inside a car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its a testament to why SpaceX has succeeded despite Musk and not because of him, because of Musk had been in charge of the actual engineering they would've just been throwing poo poo together and ignoring already learned lessons.

Tesla is largely at Musk's beck and call and of course its a poo poo show.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

stealie72 posted:

How DARE you compare GM's totally futuristic dustbuster vans to this, this. . . MONSTROSITY.

Parents had a Silhouette for a period.
To be clear, the Dustbusters are better in every way, even the windshield, but the windshield was... an issue. The dash on my parents' looked like a ski jump from the vinyl shrinking.

At leas GM recognized issues with such a windshield, and, for example, put a gold heat reflective layer in it to try and mitigate the greenhouse effect. And they had wipers that worked. Bet Elon hasn't even thought about the greenhouse thing.

randomidiot posted:

Not plastic; that's cast aluminum with primer on it. Tesla doesn't paint anything that gets covered up by other stuff. Including what they call the FUB and RUB castings (front under body, rear under body; that's the FUB you're looking at). I assume production versions will have most of that buried under trim.

Ah, thanks.

LOL.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wrong thread and all but since it came up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXow3d3-b0

Trip down memory lane.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I feel like bubb rubb would be driving an Altima these days.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I feel like bubb rubb would be driving an Altima these days.

Oh, yeah. Big Altima Energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

That Works posted:

Wrong thread and all but since it came up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXow3d3-b0

Trip down memory lane.

I remember a coworker bringing that up 15 years ago... and we still have a good laugh about it whenever one of us goes "woo WOO!"