Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Another day, another crypto gambling website getting hacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I don't know what this means but it seemed relevant --

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Crypto has been like 90% scammers scamming scammers from the start. It's the same with the adjacent goldbug and sovereign citizen and stonks poo poo, that same personality type is attracted magnetically to anything that looks like an opportunity to get one over on someone.

Heck, it's even one of the classic categories of scam, to make someone think they're scamming or exploiting you so they let their guard down and aren't likely to tell anyone about it til you're long gone.
That sounds like the violin scam from American Gods. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ViolinScam

Oddly enough the new violin scam is people pretending to busk for cash while actually just playing music on a hidden speaker.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
The Other Guys but with worse personal hygeine:

I was living on my ex's couch. My sister's roommate in college, Brenda, came to me with a nifty plan. 'I go on naughty webcamss all the time with a bunch of you know boys and stuff. And they want to tip in Bitcoin, and I kinda need somebody to help me out. You know, like a manager.' I told her yeah, I could make a Coinbase account. 'Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thank you.'.

She said she needed my help because I was a 'lame' with a 'normie' job. And to thank me she offered me a percentage.

Oh, you were a pimp.

What? NO! I was just trying to help a friend. And it worked. We started making a lot of money and wouldn't you know it some of Brenda's girlfriends decided they wanted to be a part of it. Pretty soon there were about fourteen ladies that I was unofficially managing while they gave me money.

That's called a stable of w***s.

We decided I should go by my government name everywhere to better protect the account. So I started going by my full name Bill Dolah Washington.

I'm telling you, you were a pimp.

NO! Are you even listening to the story? Anyway one day I look in the mirror and I don't like what I see... [shot of Ferrel sweating, browsing meme stock prices on four different monitors, wearing gold BTC chains, nootropics and rare Magic the Gathering cards all over the desk] I had gotten out of control. One night two of my girls came and told me 'We got to take you in' and dropped me off at the Emergency Room. After the withdrawal subsided I determined to never deal with Bitcoin again.

[shakes head] Can't have no concience in the crypto game.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 5, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Plan R posted:

I don't know what this means but it seemed relevant --

ghosTTy alt spotted

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Wait, do Kick streamers get paid in crypto? loving morons.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Are crypto and web 3.0 doing great?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just Great

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

As great as a quadriplegic running a marathon.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

So well that the mainstream media has mostly stopped reporting on them because they are afraid of its power.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
How did I miss this one? Don't think I saw it mentioned and I didn't see any lift of said ban.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-21/venezuela-once-embraced-crypto-now-it-s-banned-crypto-mining-trading-petro

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Did Venezuela ever "embrace" crypto? I'm pretty sure I saw that explicitly mentioned somewhere as a poorly-checked game of telephone where one crypto-cheering site had gone "VENEZUELANS ARE MAKING MILLIONS AND GETTING AROUND SANCTIONS BY MINING CRYPTO!!!" and then more regular news sites reposted it without checking jack poo poo because crypto was a big enough buzzword to get people clicking, and in reality there were no more people in Venezuela "embracing crypto" than anywhere else(in fact probably less considering they're a lot less likely to be able to afford super mining rigs and lots of electricity than many other places).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

PurpleXVI posted:

Did Venezuela ever "embrace" crypto? I'm pretty sure I saw that explicitly mentioned somewhere as a poorly-checked game of telephone where one crypto-cheering site had gone "VENEZUELANS ARE MAKING MILLIONS AND GETTING AROUND SANCTIONS BY MINING CRYPTO!!!" and then more regular news sites reposted it without checking jack poo poo because crypto was a big enough buzzword to get people clicking, and in reality there were no more people in Venezuela "embracing crypto" than anywhere else(in fact probably less considering they're a lot less likely to be able to afford super mining rigs and lots of electricity than many other places).

When a lot of people were leaving Venezuela several years ago, local bitcoin exchanges saw a huge, albeit brief, increase in transaction volumes. People leaving bought bitcoins fearing that their money could be seized at the border, and people staying had concerns about the rapid inflation while not being able to buy USD directly with bolivar.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/D2322541151185/status/1698902875454480830

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I thought the crazy stock people were all being typically obtuse when they were combing the teddy books for a sign but it is verging on evil being in your imagined pulpit and including a line where you save money and magically get a house, car, or go to the moon from your piggy bank.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The amount of grifters that have gloomed on to "AI" is very telling.

Hey. You don't begrudge people without legs using artificial limbs, do you?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
For those of you not in the osha thread, here's a fun little news story

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

For those of you not in the osha thread, here's a fun little news story

Actual real-life Captain Planet villain stuff. The actual value proposition, said with a straight face, is: "We will reduce ground contamination by throwing all the contaminants in the atmosphere".

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 5, 2023

Nov 6, 2002

zedprime posted:

I thought the crazy stock people were all being typically obtuse when they were combing the teddy books for a sign but it is verging on evil being in your imagined pulpit and including a line where you save money and magically get a house, car, or go to the moon from your piggy bank.

Almost every tweet the guy (RC) does is also extremely cryptic. He knows who is audience is and really seems to be an expert at stringing them along.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This is actually a good parenting idea. Get that kid all hyped up to flush $20 down the toilet, when the kid is young enough that $20 doesn't mean groceries for 3 days. Then, a month or so later, the kid will realize they should never, ever take advice from the parents about investments or religion. D is doing Jr a favor here and probably doesn't even realize how.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
kid just wants his dad to be proud of him and do things together that make dad happy :smith:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Aramis posted:

Actual real-life captain-planet villain stuff. The actual value proposition, said with a straight face, is: "We will reduce ground contamination by throwing all the contaminants in the atmosphere".

Frankly it's incredible. The company exists to mine crypto, which means its entire purpose is to generate wealth with no other useful byproduct. Even the Captain Planet villains will go "drat these guys are hardcore".

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

SettingSun posted:

Frankly it's incredible. The company exists to mine crypto, which means its entire purpose is to generate wealth with no other useful byproduct. Even the Captain Planet villains will go "drat these guys are hardcore".

Um i think you will find the product is the security of the blockchain and its therefore vital that we start a literal tire fire to secure it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

zedprime posted:

I mean, independently of the bby weirdos this was a rich guy writing a book about his rich grandfather, there's going to be a lot of out of touch things in there.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What are the most ridiculous use cases for a coin? I think I've seen 'You can use XXX to speed up transfers of XXX, and also pay for for admission into a pool where you could win more XXX. These not only give XXX functionality other coins lack but "eats" the coin so you don't have to worry about endless inflation.'.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Bright Bart posted:

What are the most ridiculous use cases for a coin? I think I've seen 'You can use XXX to speed up transfers of XXX, and also pay for for admission into a pool where you could win more XXX. These not only give XXX functionality other coins lack but "eats" the coin so you don't have to worry about endless inflation.'.

You are going to dig a lot deeper than that in order to find the most ridiculous use-case. Some people are seriously claiming that crypto coins can be used as storage for the energy spent mining them , and that's just off the top of my head.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Aramis posted:

You are going to dig a lot deeper than that in order to find the most ridiculous use-case. Some people are seriously claiming that crypto coins can be used as storage for the energy spent mining them , and that's just off the top of my head.

Similarly, my stomach can be used to "store" excess fruit pies from the bakery up the street.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aramis posted:

in the grim darkness of the future, all coiners will be chained to a dynamo and forced to rotate it until they produce several thousand mwh of energy for each bitcoin they hold

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
from the yospos thread

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

bitcoin: no longer a metaphorical tire fire

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Ah, revolut. Clearly the crypto banking revolution.

revolut posted:

Reminder: We're terminating our US crypto offering on October 3, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Revolut's competitor N26 isn't even really in the cryptocurrency game to begin with. You can't transfer out to a wallet, or recieve any from outside. You can only purchase it from the bank and sell it back to them.

Maybe laws force N26 to actually buy the Bitcoin or whatever and hold it against what people have in their accounts. But there isn't any point to that. Both sides are just gambling on the price of BTC. Over an undefined period of time granted but still actually exchanging any is uneccessary.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How are those crypto volcano guys doing?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Fur20 posted:

in the grim darkness of the future, all coiners will be chained to a dynamo and forced to rotate it until they produce several thousand mwh of energy for each bitcoin they hold

Watch out there. I did a little dark crypto futurism posting ITT myself in April 2022 and was mercilessly probed for it by the Stimpire.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ruddiger posted:

How are those crypto volcano guys doing?

drilling into a volcano proved too complicated so they pivoted to solar and a shipping container of Bitcoin miners

note: it's not clear they actually built any solar either

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

But was there a wiki? That makes it as good as done!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Aramis posted:

You are going to dig a lot deeper than that in order to find the most ridiculous use-case.
Imagine, if you will, a blockchain dating app.

Fortunately you don't have to, there are at least 5.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SettingSun posted:

there's a place in North Carolina that's already been doing this and branding it as "thermal demanufacturing" which, I am just in awe of that euphemism talent

Nov 6, 2002

OneEightHundred posted:

Imagine, if you will, a blockchain dating app.

Fortunately you don't have to, there are at least 5.

what percentage of women are bots? is there a percentage higher than 100%?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

what percentage of women are bots?

wasnt this going to be solved by NFTs

is there a percentage higher than 100%?

a lot of y'all still dont get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007