Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Eej posted:

I hope they drop Eightbound and Exalted Eightbound from 55 and 60 fuckin' points per model. Jesus.

How they cost units seems a bit broken to me in 10th. They under-cost killing stats and over-cost mobility (see custodes bikes versus custodian guard or the entire GK index).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Badcast and the IC's would be good starters.
https://40kbadcast.com/
http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/

Then you could check what goonhammer has under their media network;
https://media.goonhammer.com/#network

Seconding Independent Characters. It's one of those infectious enthusiasm kinda podcasts. I'm also rooting for Carl as he quit his job recently for reasons that seemed all too relatable.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A.Ridiculous, for all the memes, also does a good job discussing and understanding the lore without falling down the fash-hole.

So while they can get annoying, they come across wholesome and on the correct side of history.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Eej posted:

I hope they drop Eightbound and Exalted Eightbound from 55 and 60 fuckin' points per model. Jesus.

I just hope they come back in stock so I can actually get a set.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

nostrata posted:

I just hope they come back in stock so I can actually get a set.

Dang they got a restock a few months ago didn't realize they sold out again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

moths posted:

A.Ridiculous, for all the memes, also does a good job discussing and understanding the lore without falling down the fash-hole.

So while they can get annoying, they come across wholesome and on the correct side of history.

They aren't bad, just not what I was looking (listening?) for.

I think I'm going to end up getting 2 or 3 Neurolictors if I build up my tyranids. Love ehat I've seen from the goonhammer review.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 5, 2023

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
For anyone still mulling over which new Tyranids to buy, I found a really useful review that explains how flexible the new kits are for things like customisation & magnetisation, and what spare parts you get at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nw7n4syLIM

I'm stoked to find that that swapping between Biovore & Pyrovore is really easy, which takes a little bit of sting out of paying around £1 per point for the new model. The new Lictor also seems like a fantastic kit design too. I've managed to find a very cheap Tyrand Prime body and plan to try converting a second lictor from the spare parts.

For now I've ordered one each of the new kits that I don't mind owning multiples of (1 Norn, 1 Vore, 1 Lictor), as I'm sure many will show up in discounted boxes over the coming months & years. In particular the Norn is rumoured to be part of the next Xmas Tyranid battleforce. For the same reason I'm avoiding Deathleaper & Neurolictor, as without conversion those kits can only be built one way and I probably will never want to own more than one.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

xtothez posted:

around £1 per point for the new model

ah... only 1 of local currency per point, what a quaint thought :australia:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
neurolictors struck me as the sort of cheap speedbump/disruption unit you run in multiples but that's a really crowded niche for nids and i doubt you'll want multiple different ones. it'll come down to points i think

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

neurolictors struck me as the sort of cheap speedbump/disruption unit you run in multiples but that's a really crowded niche for nids and i doubt you'll want multiple different ones. it'll come down to points i think

What, Neurolictors are absolutely sick. 60 point lone operative with infiltrate that can potentially hand out -1 to hit AND +1 to being wounded if they fail a battleshock test.

Most other armies will gladly pay 100 points for a unremarkable lone operative character with nothing else.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

yeah goonhammer thinks neurolictors are an automatic three-of in most nid lists and I’m inclined to agree

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Al-Saqr posted:

Finished My Barbgaunts squad! learned alot about thinning my paints and contrast paints with this one, the first one I made was the one on the very left, then I did some learning then came back and applied what I learned on the rest, would love comments and critiques!

I like how loud the colour scheme is.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Samovar posted:

I like how loud the colour scheme is.

Is that good or bad?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Stephenls posted:

I think the Devastator equivalent is meant to be the combination of Hellblasters, Eradicators, Eliminators (las-fusil edition), Desolation Squads, and maybe Infernus Squads -- that's why I said "grav guns as a heavy weapon option somehow." I miss the idea of devastator squads but if the correct way to build a devastator squad is always going to be "A bunch of guys with the same weapon, god drat it why do I have to buy multiple boxes of devastators to build this squad right," then splitting devastators up into five or six kits, each of which is all outfitted with a single weapon option... understandable? EDIT: And then splitting them up between the different armor types to represent what sort of strengths and weaknesses each sort of heavy weapon ought to have (e.g. Desolators are a backfield objective holder that can toss damage down the field and do indirect fire, so maybe don't give them heavy armor) is just the next logical decision along that path.

Yeah there's nothing formal I don't think but Primaris squads wear the old tactical/assault/devastator markings. The ones you listed all have the Devastator "A" symbol, Inceptors have the assault "X" and so on. I don't know if there's a case for a one to one counterpart to firstborn Devastators at this point.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

Is that good or bad?

Good imo

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah if you had said pink and blue and yellow and orange out loud it would sound like too much, but the way you painted they come across like poisonous coral creatures, which is a cool take on the more crustacean style nids.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Definitely good. It gives me major 80s cartoon villain vibes. I could totally see those 'nids fighting some Ninja Turtles.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Grimdark is boring. Bright colors are fun. Are you boring? Or are you fun?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Finished My Barbgaunts squad! learned alot about thinning my paints and contrast paints with this one, the first one I made was the one on the very left, then I did some learning then came back and applied what I learned on the rest, would love comments and critiques!

I like the scheme a lot. I prefer colorful Tyranids, and I think these pretty much nail it.

If you want C&C, crosspost them to the painting thread.

Can also see how it got better as you went.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Devorum posted:

I like the scheme a lot. I prefer colorful Tyranids, and I think these pretty much nail it.

If you want C&C, crosspost them to the painting thread.

Can also see how it got better as you went.

thanks man I already posted it to the painting thread

the first draft is the guy on the very left, the rest were made all at once at the same time.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

What, Neurolictors are absolutely sick. 60 point lone operative with infiltrate that can potentially hand out -1 to hit AND +1 to being wounded if they fail a battleshock test.

i wasn't disparaging them! my point was that you'll want nlictors OR lictors OR units like leapers etc. and the main decider will be points.

although it occurs to me that that -1 to hit is pretty mediocre because of the timing of its battleshock ability.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah there's nothing formal I don't think but Primaris squads wear the old tactical/assault/devastator markings. The ones you listed all have the Devastator "A" symbol, Inceptors have the assault "X" and so on. I don't know if there's a case for a one to one counterpart to firstborn Devastators at this point.
I think we're basically only missing Grav Cannons, Heavy Bolters and Lascannons at this point.

I think most people would probably agree that between Heavy Intercessors and the new Sternguard Veterans we probably don't need any more Heavy Bolter units. You could conceivably retool the Las-fusil option for Eliminators as the Lascannon equivalent but you could also just have something similar to the Desolation squad with Lascannons.

That just leaves Grav Cannons which I do think are the most likely option, probably on another Gravis suit like the Eradicators. If you did Gravis Grav Cannons and Tacticus Lascannons you'd have a nicely balanced 3/3 split for Gravis/Tacticus between Eradicators/Inceptors/Grav Cannons and Desolation/Hellblasters/Lascannons.

e: I completely forgot about Inceptors with auto-bolters. We definitely don't need any more Bolters then.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gravis Cannoneers

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mercurius posted:

I think we're basically only missing Grav Cannons, Heavy Bolters and Lascannons at this point.

I think most people would probably agree that between Heavy Intercessors and the new Sternguard Veterans we probably don't need any more Heavy Bolter units. You could conceivably retool the Las-fusil option for Eliminators as the Lascannon equivalent but you could also just have something similar to the Desolation squad with Lascannons.

That just leaves Grav Cannons which I do think are the most likely option, probably on another Gravis suit like the Eradicators. If you did Gravis Grav Cannons and Tacticus Lascannons you'd have a nicely balanced 3/3 split for Gravis/Tacticus between Eradicators/Inceptors/Grav Cannons and Desolation/Hellblasters/Lascannons.

e: I completely forgot about Inceptors with auto-bolters. We definitely don't need any more Bolters then.

i like how suppressors are not part of this conversation at any point

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Eej posted:

Gravis Cannoneers

You need a fancy olden made up word, like Gravis Graviton Harquebus.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

They're so forgettable that even GW barely acknowledges them. They were one of the few second wave Primaris kits that never did get a stand alone release.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Gravis Grav-Gonne Gunners, but only if "Gonneiers" isn't a real word.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Intergravators

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Primaris Gravyators.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

moths posted:

Gravis Grav-Gonne Gunners, but only if "Gonneiers" isn't a real word.

Gonneriers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cease to Hope posted:

I'd like them to have a multipart kit with a lascannon/lastalon option

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Primaris Laserers

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I just want a gravis heavy melee option!! Heavy Bladecessors!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
heavy gravioli fettuccinoids

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I just want a gravis heavy melee option!! Heavy Bladecessors!

they already exist and they're the single ugliest primaris kit in the game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Gravis big hand boys are baller.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

they already exist and they're the single ugliest primaris kit in the game

Desolators aren't a gravis unit

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cease to Hope posted:

That is hilarious, because everything about Suppressors and how they've been handled is hilarious, but even if we take those into account I don't think they fit anywhere into the "What's the Primaris equivalent of Firstborn Devastator squads?" They're more akin to one of those new things Primaris gets that don't have any equivalent in Firstborn armies, like Reivers or Inceptors or Bladeguard.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

smug jeebus posted:

Desolators aren't a gravis unit

desolators can kiss my rear end but aggressors are just horrible-looking

Stephenls posted:

That is hilarious, because everything about Suppressors and how they've been handled is hilarious, but even if we take those into account I don't think they fit anywhere into the "What's the Primaris equivalent of Firstborn Devastator squads?" They're more akin to one of those new things Primaris gets that don't have any equivalent in Firstborn armies, like Reivers or Inceptors or Bladeguard.

30K devastator squads and the chaos equivalent squad both use ACs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
what if stormtroopers were fat and had poo poo glued haphazardly to them