Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

oldpainless posted:

Hopefully the rumors are true that the developers are hard at work on the sequel, Bofa

*sigh*

"What's bofa".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It sucks that the expansions for DR2 and one of them for 3 was Xbox exclusive though. Dead Rising 2 had a prequel DLC set around 5 years before the events of the main game in a small Nevada town and then another DLC set directly after the main game where Chuck and Frank try and fail to work together to expose the conspiracy, annoying the hell out of each other while doing so.

DR3's exclusive Xbox DLC seems to be more of a wacky arcade mode deal and not story content, thankfully, but it still sucks they're effectively locked on Xbox.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dogstile posted:

*sigh*

"What's bofa".

What, he just said, it's the sequel.

Reading comprehension, christ.

I do hear it's coming out on CDs, which is weird.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

dogstile posted:

*sigh*

"What's bofa".

Bank of America. They did a reverse Bioware/FROM software and now are developing banking apps

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Morpheus posted:

I do hear it's coming out on CDs, which is weird.

CDs? What?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Alone in the Dark delayed into Jan 2024. I'm super disappointed, but hopefully it's for the best.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CDS NUTZ AMIRITE

I'll see myself out

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

It's a disc containing data, but that's not important right now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

catlord posted:

Alone in the Dark delayed into Jan 2024. I'm super disappointed, but hopefully it's for the best.

That's too bad, but yeah, I was already gonna have a lot of gaming with Alan Wake and Spideymans in October, plus I had no idea the next big Assassin's Creed was out that soon too. There's just too drat many games!! :arghfist:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CDeez N-

Medullah posted:

CDS NUTZ AMIRITE

I'll see myself out

gently caress

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm not sure I'm mentally prepared for "CD is the new Vinyl", the novelty format you need special equipment to use.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
From what I can tell all the true Vinyl Freakz prefer minidisc as their digital format du jour

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

catlord posted:

Well gently caress

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
the publisher and developer they are doo doo

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mutantIke posted:

From what I can tell all the true Vinyl Freakz prefer minidisc as their digital format du jour

The true freaks have started collecting laserdiscs

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

oldpainless posted:

Hopefully the rumors are true that the developers are hard at work on the sequel, Bofa

lmao

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

catlord posted:

Thank God. October was too packed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1699475101521965284?s=20

It looks.....shooty.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It could be pretty good but it looks like the mechanic of burning the darkness away with your flashlight is there on sufferance rather than the focus on the combat. In the earlier games enemies would go down pretty fast once you popped their shield, this is definitely a lot more RE4make.

Ultimately different isn't bad if it's good but it definitely doesn't seem like the kind of game that mixes in crazy poo poo like the battle on the farm stage like the originals did. Very different tone, which probably has something to do with the forced later addition of a connection to Control.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I can't wait to be crossbow cop

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wow they finally got to make the Alan wake) Wake game they wanted

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You guys are gonna make me replay Dead Rising now. I don't have this... time.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Just watch a video

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

You guys are gonna make me replay Dead Rising now. I don't have this... time.

You should remember that the survivor AI in Dead Rising 1 was absolutely dogshit and an exercise in frustration. Then Dead Rising 2 overcorrected and made survivors too competent, give them decent weapons and they can seriously demolish psychopaths all by themselves.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone played Bone Totem, and have thoughts on it?

A youtuber I like did a video on the previous game in the series, Stasis, and had mostly good things to say about it, but it was really let down by poor voice acting.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Shastahanshah posted:

Has anyone played Bone Totem, and have thoughts on it?

A youtuber I like did a video on the previous game in the series, Stasis, and had mostly good things to say about it, but it was really let down by poor voice acting.

I'm assuming you are talking about this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B17yJUXboe0. He is going to do the sequel as his next video.

Stasis Bone Totem is really good, and it doesn't have the kickstarter jank the first game has. Most of the puzzles are pretty logical, but sometimes it can be unclear which of the three playable characters you can make progress with. I think the setting is pretty interesting. Although there is one aspect of it which is a bit stupid. It also has some really great and memorable characters in it too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You should remember that the survivor AI in Dead Rising 1 was absolutely dogshit and an exercise in frustration. Then Dead Rising 2 overcorrected and made survivors too competent, give them decent weapons and they can seriously demolish psychopaths all by themselves.

There was the legit strategy I can recall where you post two survivors with M16s near the entrance to the chef's restaurant, and they'd knock him out of his healing animation when he goes to eat from the trays. It was so necessary to make that fight less of a chore that I think it was intended that way.

As for Dead Rising 1, that's why you always take some harmless weapons with you to bonk zombies safely away when they grab a survivor. Leveling up until you can do the ground pound also comes in really handy there. But gently caress that goddamn ledge before the air duct, whoever thought that was a good idea can go to hell.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
For potential discussion, given the ongoing SOMA divide, here's a multipart article with creative director Thomas Grip where he goes into his intentions for the game.

Part 1

Part 2

There's a lot to chew through here.

edit: from the second half, a particularly telling response (emphases mine):

quote:

RPS: So it's more focused on exploring themes, then? Things like consciousness, which you've been pretty vocal about?

Grip: Yeah. The thing I’d been thinking about a lot is, could you have a game that tells something interesting to the player about being a sentient being? Being conscious about yourself. Could you do that? What interests me about consciousness, which has been a hobby project for me for the last half of my life, is just the idea that… You have certain subjective experiences. You can’t doubt that you’re having them. You’re sure that you’re having them. But you can never make someone else convinced that you really have these experiences.

As far as we know, at least it seems like this in theory, we can’t just divide our brain down into the smallest pieces and find something that explains these subjective experiences to us. It lies at another level, or perhaps it lies as another substance, a soul or something like that.

What I didn't want to do is have a game where you just had a data dump, where you had the characters constantly babbling about different philosophical questions and whatnot. But we wanted to have something where the game makes you bring this up from within. The parts that you played in the game, this is where you seed the player with different questions. The robot that you encountered in the first place, that’s a seed. The different audio logs of the dead people, that’s a seed. The other creatures that you see later on, that’s also something that we start to build up.

Then, later on, we can hopefully use that [in some really crazy ways]. It’s risky. I know that some people are going to play through the game and not have… They’ll say, that wasn’t anything special. Others, hopefully – and this will hopefully be the majority – are going to say, oh poo poo, this was really freaky, I never thought about these things in this way. I don’t want the game to pose these questions to the player directly, but it’s something that comes up from within.

That’s the sort of grand plan with it all. I think it’s going to take four or five hours to really play out - which is more than half of the game - for this to really take hold of the player. It’s very tricky to get the hang of it. You have to go a bit on your gut feeling when you’re trying to steer the path for this. But that’s the grand thing that we’re after with this project.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 10, 2023

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I noticed Deadly Premonition is on sale for PC for dirt cheap and I was wondering if that port is still a buggy mess?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

They couldn't legally call it Deadly Premonition if it wasn't.

(I don't actually know)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Joe Chill posted:

I noticed Deadly Premonition is on sale for PC for dirt cheap and I was wondering if that port is still a buggy mess?

There’s a good fan patch for visuals and performance but to this day it will crash at random no matter what you do to it. This is true of even the recent Switch port, although to a lesser degree.

Save often.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Honestly as someone who adores that game, the PC version is probably more trouble than it’s worth. At the very least you’ll get crashes, at worst you’ll be jumping through all sorts of hoops to troubleshoot.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Thanks for the responses! I'm think I'm going to hold off for now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oddly enough I never got a single crash on the PS3 version of Deadly Premonition

Fallout New Vegas on PS3 has crashed probably every second session

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
I had a memorable crash on the PS3 version of Deadly Premonition where once I reloaded my game York was suddenly wearing one of the DLC suits, the one with the godawful red-and-white floral pattern, like a full body Hawaiian shirt. This was several weeks before the DLC suits were released for real, so I had no idea what was going on but you better believe I refused to change my suit after that point. "Stinky agent" be damned, I was on island time now!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I managed to make it through the PC version (I'd already played through the 360 version) of Deadly Premonition, but man did that have some weird glitches even with the fan patch. One time, I'd been playing for hours without saving, and then I got a glitch where all the level geometry was gone, and the payphone save points wouldn't work so I couldn't save. I assume it was some weird LOD poo poo, whatever the case it sucked and I lost a ton of progress.

But that's what you just kinda have to expect when you play Deadly Premonition. It's always been broken, the 360 original was just the least broken.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Played the Switch version before DP2 came out and I ended up saving every 5 minutes due to crashes. Except I redid some chapters to do 100% quest completion and haha you can't save anymore when you replay chapters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Deadly Premonition is a rather unique experience on PC in that it literally does not launch from my system anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DP PC was a great experience for me. It ran flawlessly til I got in a car and then for some reason the car was always simultaneously going 60MPH and 0MPH with the speedometer flipping extremely rapidly between them, leading to driving feeling like going 60MPH across black ice.