Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

We’ll have to introduce more spiders to eat the mosquitos, but then we’ll probably need more birds to eat the spiders, and then cats for the birds, and pretty soon we’re at a critical mass of horses and who knows where we go from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

As the victim of a recent invasive spider species introduction (joro spiders), I'm here to tell you to be careful what you wish for.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Simply introduce leopards.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey thread; any Adirondack recommendations? I kinda feel like you can't go wrong no matter what you choose but :shrug:

I'm not even sure where I'm staying. A friendly acquaintance is organizing a climbing trip somewhere the weekend of the 23rd this month but I still don't really have any details so I guess I'm just going to find a camp site where ever I can and then just drive to where ever we'll be climbing. That's only a 1 day thing but I'll be there all weekend so I obviously want to get some hiking in too.

Any recommendations for an easier hike that I could wake up early as gently caress for, do in the dark and enjoy a sunrise from the summit?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Chugach state park again, this time I went back to hanging valley lake which is in a split from the south fork valley

It had rained the night before so 8 of the 10 miles I had wet feet, but the running compression socks did their job. Truly a miracle of modern design and engineering

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

We backpacked the Sisters Green Lakes trail, after getting smoke/fired out for the same permit last year. It was amazing! 4 miles (and about 1k ft gain) through some of the nicest sub alpine forests and meadows I've been through with cool lava flow features, then up into the spectacular green lakes basin.

Our 4 year old handled the hike like a champ and our 9 month old... is a big heavy boy, let's just say my load was well balanced between front and back and I am very sore today considering it was only 4 miles in and 4 miles out.

We got fairly lucky with no smoke and mostly sun. The only bummer was up at the lakes it was very exposed and hella windy and cold - luckily 90% of the hike was sheltered and pleasant but the very last bit up at the lakes, oof. Also rain clouds were constantly pouring over south sister, but we were in the rain shadow and the rain never reached us, but it was raining a mile away and constantly felt like it was about to hit us. We did not get to enjoy the lakes that much as we hurried to find the most sheltered camping spot, cook dinner, and get warm and cozy in the tent. Anyway none of this is super surprising, i know those conditions certainly happen up there, but I've also been at similar alpine lakes in luckier weather and it's glorious. Ah well. Still an amazing hike and conditions were nicer in the morning.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Verman posted:

How do people feel about folding vs wadding when it comes to tents etc? I've heard repeated creasing of waterproof fabrics in the same way can cause leaks in those creases vs randomly wadding it up and stuffing it. For something like waxed cotton it totally makes sense, maybe older technology dwr tents ...

I go back and forth on it and usually try to roll my tent up instead.

fwiw I've been stuffing the same DCF pyramid tent directly into my pack for ~7 years and there hasn't been any shrinking or other problems.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ive always used the same system which is to fold the tent into thirds, put the poles in the center, and then roll it up with the rainfly on the outside also folded into thirds

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

ive always used the same system which is to fold the tent into thirds, put the poles in the center, and then roll it up with the rainfly on the outside also folded into thirds

This is exactly what I do.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

As the victim of a recent invasive spider species introduction (joro spiders), I'm here to tell you to be careful what you wish for.

Ok I wanna hear the story, even though I’m terrified of spiders I’m definitely morbidly curious about this situation.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

liz posted:

Ok I wanna hear the story, even though I’m terrified of spiders I’m definitely morbidly curious about this situation.

Supposedly they showed up in Georgia about ten years ago, but it's only been in the last couple that they've really started spreading. I guess the population reached a tipping point. But anyway, in 2021, out of nowhere, every outdoor surface was covered in giant golden spider webs, usually with multiple spiders per web. The spiders are several inches in diameter. They don't look too different from the naturalized golden orb weavers that everyone is already used to, but their numbers are way higher. People couldn't leave their houses without batting down a bunch of them, hiking trails were practically impassable without constantly swatting with a stick, etc. I had to free some hummingbirds from their webs on my porch. Their numbers seem to go down and stabilize in subsequent years, but they still suck. If you live in the eastern US you will probably encounter them soon.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Supposedly they showed up in Georgia about ten years ago, but it's only been in the last couple that they've really started spreading. I guess the population reached a tipping point. But anyway, in 2021, out of nowhere, every outdoor surface was covered in giant golden spider webs, usually with multiple spiders per web. The spiders are several inches in diameter. They don't look too different from the naturalized golden orb weavers that everyone is already used to, but their numbers are way higher. People couldn't leave their houses without batting down a bunch of them, hiking trails were practically impassable without constantly swatting with a stick, etc. I had to free some hummingbirds from their webs on my porch. Their numbers seem to go down and stabilize in subsequent years, but they still suck. If you live in the eastern US you will probably encounter them soon.

Do they eat spotted lantern flies?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I made a new friend today

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 6, 2023

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That moost be nice. Cow did you two meet?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

armorer posted:

Do they eat spotted lantern flies?

We don't have many of those down here yet. I've never seen any. We do have brown marmorated stinkbugs though, and joros seem to eat them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moose scare me more than bears, mostly because no one else is scared of them and will happily inch closer trying to fill the frame on their cell phone. And once you push a moose past its comfort zone they go from cute and docile ungulate to stampeding murder hooves.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

From July in the south fork valley. He walked across the trail about 50 feet in front of me and booked it down the hill. After that my head was on a swivel until I was above the tree line

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah I'd be much more scared of moose. They have a higher injury rate than bears and get very aggressive.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah she popped out like 15 feet in front of me on the trail and took a couple steps in my direction after she noticed me, thankfully got distracted by a branch and took off.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Moose are also way less predictable than bears in my experience. When I lived in Alaska and saw a grizzly 99% of the time it would turn and run.

A moose seemed like it was as likely to charge you as it was to run and they were just way less scared of people in general.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Hey thread; any Adirondack recommendations? I kinda feel like you can't go wrong no matter what you choose but :shrug:

I'm not even sure where I'm staying. A friendly acquaintance is organizing a climbing trip somewhere the weekend of the 23rd this month but I still don't really have any details so I guess I'm just going to find a camp site where ever I can and then just drive to where ever we'll be climbing. That's only a 1 day thing but I'll be there all weekend so I obviously want to get some hiking in too.

Any recommendations for an easier hike that I could wake up early as gently caress for, do in the dark and enjoy a sunrise from the summit?

I haven't been to the dacks this year (its pretty far from Seattle) but I practically grew up there and my parents summer there. As I understand it, it's been an outrageously wet summer, so bear that in mind for all activities - the Northville-Placid Trail, muddy at the best of times, is apparently just 3 feet deep in some places.

General hiking recs in the Adirondacks are always going to include the high peaks in the Lake Placid area, which will be very busy on the weekends. For an easier hike, I'd skip the high peaks themselves entirely and do the Mount Jo hike from the Adirondak Loj - 2 miles round-trip, with a sunrise over the high peaks if you timed it.

The park is very large, though, so you could easily be climbing 2 hours away. I feel like the place I used to always see climbers was kinda down towards North Creek (looking at a map, I think Starbuck Mountain and Black Mountain)? If so, Moxham Mountain is RIGHT there, and recently became one of my Adirondack faves - good mix of everything nice about Adirondack hiking, with decent views at the end, all in around 5-6 miles, and no crowds.

That said, once you have a better idea of where you'll be, I can probably give more recs!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

I try to neatly fold up everything because that's how my dad did it and now it's programmed into my personality. After a trip I'll unpack everything when I get home and spend way too much time getting things neatly folded up as a present to future me (and making sure I don't store it damp, but the folding is the main motivation).

Even the big car camping sleeping bags get tightly coiled up and slipped into their original (and too small) stuff sacks.

Sup long lost sibling from another nibling.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
any scramble heavy trail recs in the catskills?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I have bought https://www.splash-maps.com/ as gifts for some (non map using) people and they really seemed to have liked them. Only problem is you have to know well before hand the areas you will be traveling.
For the hardcore navigators you will need laminated maps that you can mark/erase is the way to go.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Morbus posted:

This summitpost page has a list of all the major eastern sierra trailheads along 395.
https://www.summitpost.org/eastern-sierra/154084

A few of my favorite shorter-to-medium length dayhikes and their associated trailhead(s) (from north to south):
The *'s are the ones I think are the most reward for least effort & time

*Excelsior Peak out of Virginia Lakes
*North Peak out of Saddlebag Lake, or just that entire area in general
*Gaylor Peak & Gaylor Lakes area, inside Yosemite immediately after the Tioga pass entrance
The area between, and perhaps including Cathedral Peak and Echo Peaks, also on Tioga
Mt Hoffman, *Mt Watkins, & Cloud's Rest further inside Yosemite on Tioga pass
Thousand Island / Garnet lakes, either from Rush Creek or Agnew Meadows (longer)
Ediza Lake from Agnew Meadows
Minaret Lake / Volcanic Ridge out of Devil's Postpile
Duck Lake & Duck Lake peak from the Mary Lake area in Mammoth
*Mono Pass Peak out of Mosquito Flat / Little Lakes Valley, or just the whole area in general
Hungry Packer Lake out of Sabrina Lake
*Chocolate Peak / Bishop Pass out of South Lake
The lake loop / Palisade glacier out of Big Pine Creek
Kearsarge Pass/Lakes out of Onion Valley
Cottonwood Lakes & optionally Mt. Langley out of Horseshoe Meadows

I would add Piute Pass Trail to this. Relatively low effort, with quintessential Sierra Nevada scenery beginning only a few miles in. The weather over Labor Day weekend was a bit moody, but currently there is only a smallish field of snow before the pass.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Came up from Echo Lake through the Chicago Lakes to get to Mt Evans. They had already closed the last five miles of the road to the summit even though it was perfect weather today

Also there were goats, goats, and more goats

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hiked the Caribou Rock trail and parts of the Border Route Trail in the BWCA. 10/10 would recommend! Even though I got rained on the whole time.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I would add Piute Pass Trail to this. Relatively low effort, with quintessential Sierra Nevada scenery beginning only a few miles in. The weather over Labor Day weekend was a bit moody, but currently there is only a smallish field of snow before the pass.

I agree, It almost made the list lol. In particular peak 12,123 by Muriel lake makes for a nice dayhike.

I am like 3/3 for hitting the mosquito jackpot every time I've been in the humphrey's basin area recently though, lol.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Hiked the Franconia Ridge Trail last week, which was cool. Being in not-great shape, it was honestly a bit much... used all my energy on the three ascents and could barely make it down by sunset.

Anyway, I did it, and while visibility was poor most of the day, I ended up with a few decent shots:

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
realistically, how worried should i be about bears, wolves, and lynxes in the alps? i live in innsbruck and i want to go up to nordkette this weekend, but realistically if i come into contact with a predator ill pee my pant

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

w4ddl3d33 posted:

realistically, how worried should i be about bears, wolves, and lynxes in the alps? i live in innsbruck and i want to go up to nordkette this weekend, but realistically if i come into contact with a predator ill pee my pant

Like zero. I think theres only 100 wolves total across France, Germany and Italian alps. Lynx, you'll probably never see. Bear I dunno. I feel like there are enough fellow hikers and park attendants that will warn you if a bear is in the area. Just be smart with your food (hang it in a tree at night) and be smart if you do see one. Don't try to get close for a picture.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

w4ddl3d33 posted:

the marmots ate them all and they're coming for you next

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bloody posted:

I haven't been to the dacks this year (its pretty far from Seattle) but I practically grew up there and my parents summer there. As I understand it, it's been an outrageously wet summer, so bear that in mind for all activities - the Northville-Placid Trail, muddy at the best of times, is apparently just 3 feet deep in some places

That said, once you have a better idea of where you'll be, I can probably give more recs!

Looks like we'll be climbing in Keene, but a twist of plans has me carpooling instead of driving on my own so I don't think I'll be able to get in my solo sunrise hike like I wanted to :( We'll probably just hit whatever high peak is closest.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Morbus posted:

the marmots ate them all and they're coming for you next

I've never seen any animal more fearless around humans than a marmot. Probably because the hikers keep feeding them! :argh:

One of them chewed through my hiking backpack and ate all my snacks while I was going to the summit on Mt. Whitney. My friends are idiots and novices and, in retrospect, I should have trusted my own instincts and should have never have left my backpack behind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should rename the bearvault to the rodentvault.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

sb hermit posted:

I've never seen any animal more fearless around humans than a marmot. Probably because the hikers keep feeding them! :argh:

One of them chewed through my hiking backpack and ate all my snacks while I was going to the summit on Mt. Whitney. My friends are idiots and novices and, in retrospect, I should have trusted my own instincts and should have never have left my backpack behind.

One of my good friends has holes in her pack with exactly the same story, she was summiting mt whitney and she could actually see them biting into her pack from way above but couldn't do anything about it lol

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

w4ddl3d33 posted:

There have been brown bears and wolves moving through the Alps a lot more the last decade or so, but I think the come to just make the farmers lives miserable by eating their sheep. It is nothing compared to similiar enviroments in the US though. Tyrol and the Alps in general are so heavily managed in regards to wildlife/forestry, that if you see one of these predators and manage to take a picture you will make headline news.

Most people are attacked and injured by the cows.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

alnilam posted:

One of my good friends has holes in her pack with exactly the same story, she was summiting mt whitney and she could actually see them biting into her pack from way above but couldn't do anything about it lol

:argh:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

They were also everywhere at the summit of half-dome in Yosemite. Probably because that's where hikers were eating snacks and feeding the marmots! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I didn't see the marmot at the Mt Whitney trail crest junction but I've heard it's incredibly fat from all the food people leave there.

I haven't had any issues with wildlife eating through my stuff but a deer in Olympic NP yoinked out one of the trekking poles holding up my tarp and dragged it a few feet away while I was sleeping. Pretty rude.