Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Pixel pass is no more. Just got the email that once my phone is paid off my subscription will end. They will continue charging for One, play pass, and YouTube premium but I'll lose my $5 fi discount and device protection.
They gave me a $100 voucher to use on fi store for phone or watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

couldcareless posted:

Pixel pass is no more. Just got the email that once my phone is paid off my subscription will end. They will continue charging for One, play pass, and YouTube premium but I'll lose my $5 fi discount and device protection.
They gave me a $100 voucher to use on fi store for phone or watch.

Can't say I'm shocked to see Google kill a project.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Looked it up. They started it for the Pixel 6/pro release, so it only worked to upgrade to the 7/pro? Is that right? They closed the program before the Pixel 8 drop.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

deong posted:

Looked it up. They started it for the Pixel 6/pro release, so it only worked to upgrade to the 7/pro? Is that right? They closed the program before the Pixel 8 drop.

Yeah, the 6/6 pro was the first things eligible, and went through the 7/7 pro. Don't even think they put the 7a on it.

I'll take the $100 off the 8 pro, although the "free" protection plan was nice to have.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is there an app similar to Digital Wellbeing in Android but that lets you easily and routinely export that data off the photo?

Digital Wellbeing is great but you can't easily get the data off.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

BonoMan posted:

Is there an app similar to Digital Wellbeing in Android but that lets you easily and routinely export that data off the photo?

Digital Wellbeing is great but you can't easily get the data off.
I have usagedirect installed and it has a function to export the data as an sqlite3 database. I have never used it like that though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I dont know how much it's Fi's fault vs Samsung but the integration between the Phone app and Visual Voicemail sucks on Fi (and apparently was totally broken on the S20). On top of that, yesterday all of my voicemails disappeared from Visual Voicemail, as in it was completely empty. They only reappeared when I got someone to leave a new voicemail.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
https://shop.fairphone.com/fairphone-5

Might have to snag one of these once the price drops a little bit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
5 years of software updates?!

Very tempting. How are the cameras on those?

Edit: guess 4 has pretty lovely reviews.

Guess I just have to accept that my next phone will be bigger than I like.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 30, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

eXXon posted:

I dont know how much it's Fi's fault vs Samsung but the integration between the Phone app and Visual Voicemail sucks on Fi (and apparently was totally broken on the S20). On top of that, yesterday all of my voicemails disappeared from Visual Voicemail, as in it was completely empty. They only reappeared when I got someone to leave a new voicemail.

I've never had integrated visual voicemail work on unlocked Samsung devices on T-Mobile. Carrier devices work, but not unlocked. So, there's that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Uthor posted:

5 years of software updates?!

Very tempting. How are the cameras on those?
Very little in the camera performance comes from the optics, so you can grab the Gcam port that works best (maybe wait and see) and use that
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/

I've installed this on friend's phones with aggressively garbage cameras and the results are at least "flagship level" if not hard to distinguish from what the pixel shoots.

e: for anyone else reading this, 'very custom' camera hardware can sometimes not work well or need a specific patch (oneplus is most guilty of this) but searching GCam on the fairphone sub suggests at least with the FP3&4 it's working well.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 30, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i managed to exchange my old pixel 7 for a new one, and it seems i have really lovely luck cause unfortunately this one's giving me the exact same overheating problems i've had before. i've asked people in this thread if they've had similar issues but apparently no one does. and i don't think i'm imagining it either. i had my pixel 3a for 3 years and the absolute worst it got was getting warm, and this was during the hottest days of the summer.

can i put a case on this thing, or will it make it even hotter?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently the enterprise SOC in the fairphone is roughly equivalent to the snapdragon 778G, so you're paying $750 for the specs of a $300 phone

unless you're really into the repairability angle you're almost certainly better off buying a mid-range phone now and buying another one when the support runs out - it'll cost less and you'll end up with a better phone later

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Guess I just have to accept that my next phone will be bigger than I like.

I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be cool with a Pixel 8 or 9 Pro to replace my Pixel 5 when the time comes. I had a Nexus 6P and got "used" to it, but as soon as I replaced it with an OG Pixel it was silly how quickly the Nexus felt enormous again. The P8Pro is the same size as the Nexus, but the screen goes all the way to the top. :argh:

stratego
May 6, 2007

My android maps is set to follow the device theme. The device theme is set to be dark all the time.
Now maps wants to run in the light theme, despite the setting still being set to follow device theme.

Similarity baffling, I have some Instagram accounts to alert me when they update. Now I no longer get the alerts when an update happens. The strong in both Instagram and the notification options for Android itself have no restrictions for any of the alerts. I never set the alerts to snooze or anything.

Android continues to be a land of mystery. (Pixel 7 pro, btw. 5 pixel device I've owned).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That blue is hot.

https://9to5google.com/2023/08/30/google-pixel-8-and-pixel-8-pro-appear-at-fcc-ahead-of-launch/

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

stratego posted:

My android maps is set to follow the device theme. The device theme is set to be dark all the time.
Now maps wants to run in the light theme, despite the setting still being set to follow device theme.

Similarity baffling, I have some Instagram accounts to alert me when they update. Now I no longer get the alerts when an update happens. The strong in both Instagram and the notification options for Android itself have no restrictions for any of the alerts. I never set the alerts to snooze or anything.

Android continues to be a land of mystery. (Pixel 7 pro, btw. 5 pixel device I've owned).

I found this recently with maps too on Samsung. Seems to want to follow night/day cycles.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

repiv posted:

apparently the enterprise SOC in the fairphone is roughly equivalent to the snapdragon 778G, so you're paying $750 for the specs of a $300 phone

unless you're really into the repairability angle you're almost certainly better off buying a mid-range phone now and buying another one when the support runs out - it'll cost less and you'll end up with a better phone later

Yeah that has always been the issue with Fairphone since the beginning, you pay twice as much for a midrange phone. You really have to value the repairability.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be cool with a Pixel 8 or 9 Pro to replace my Pixel 5 when the time comes. I had a Nexus 6P and got "used" to it, but as soon as I replaced it with an OG Pixel it was silly how quickly the Nexus felt enormous again. The P8Pro is the same size as the Nexus, but the screen goes all the way to the top. :argh:

I almost bit the bullet on a 7a to replace my 5. In the discover page over the 25th anniversary sale, it was showing the 7a with the 25% discount.

Lodged a ticket with Google and they were going to honor it, but I pretty much convinced myself on the 8, probably pro.

My 5's screen is shattered and the battery life is terrible now.

If Google used the form factor of the 5 as a competitor for the iPhone SE, I'd just buy one of those every two years.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
You pay for getting a phone with a promised 8 years of security updates (they say they'll shoot for ten years but only guarantee eight), five major android updates, where you can replace the battery without any tools and take the rest of the Phone apart with a single screwdriver cause they use the same screw for everything.
It's also as sustainable as possible with (partly) recycled materials, conflict free materials, fair pay for workers and transparent manufacturing and supply chains.

It's easily repairable without glued down parts or poo poo like that and replacement parts are readily available from the manufacturer without any hassle.

It's still far from perfect cause it's still a smartphone and needs to be sold at a price people can afford.

It's never gonna be a best bang for your buck phone cause that's not what they are trying to do.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Blurb3947 posted:

https://shop.fairphone.com/fairphone-5

Might have to snag one of these once the price drops a little bit.

JerryRigEverything tore one apart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1UJ5k3yMvA

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One nice thing about the iPhone going USB-C is that a lot of lightning only accessories are starting to pop up with USB-C. Anker just launched bunch of new Nano products today including a small 5000mAh battery pack with integrated folding USB-C plug. They’ve had one with lightning for ages, but we finally get a USB-C one now.

Announced a bunch of Qi2 stuff today as well, hopefully the Pixel 8 series will support Qi2.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have usagedirect installed and it has a function to export the data as an sqlite3 database. I have never used it like that though.

Thank you!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OnePlus announced that Oxygen OS 14 will be released on September 25th, so stable 14 has to be very soon.

It’s certainly not going to be Monday since it’s a holiday. I would say there’s a slight possibility it will be Tuesday, but my guess is going to be Sept 11th.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

stratego posted:

This has never not happened to me. Also, maps randomly switches between British and American accents. It's just a janky application.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I am dealing with an annoying quirk that's started up recently: after I download a PDF, which happens multiple times a day, whether I open it or approximately 10 to 20 minutes later I get a vibrating notification that Microsoft 365 has a new PDF to read in the Recent Documents list.

Microsoft 365 isn't set up as my PDF application. I don't use it to open PDF files. And OneDrive isn't set up to automatically upload my downloads: the file is still local and not on OneDrive, Microsoft 365 just indexes it.

Any ideas? I know it's a longshot but it is annoying to feel a vibe in the pocket and think it's a text or email, and instead, it's whatever this is.

Other than turning off all notifications from Microsoft 365 or removing its permissions to files making it rather useless, I am at a loss.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'm not sure if this is a Samsung or just android thing but if you long press the app, then go to App Info > notifications there is an option for notification categories which let's you turn off different notifications from the app. So maybe you can disable just those.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Microsoft 365

I'm not sure about PDFs, but whenever I save a photo to a new folder, I get a pop-up asking if I want to add that folder to my backup list. I can edit which folders OneDrive looks at. Maybe there's something similar for PDFs/documents.

(click Backup Device Folders)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Thanks for the lead. But nope Microsoft 365 doesn't seem to have any such settings. And the files aren't being backed up they're still local just indexed under Recent. OneDrive isn't set up to back them up and isn't doing so.

Thanks! That works on my Samsung. I didn't spot anything that seems related so I unchecked Miscellaneous and that seems to have done it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I have an old Pixel 6 Pro and a couple months ago I got an update and it no longer displays whatever streaming music I'm listening to at the bottom of Google Maps. I've looked through all of the options in maps, but I may have missed something. Does anyone know how to turn it back on?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I have an old Pixel 6 Pro and a couple months ago I got an update and it no longer displays whatever streaming music I'm listening to at the bottom of Google Maps. I've looked through all of the options in maps, but I may have missed something. Does anyone know how to turn it back on?

That's funny, I noticed that yesterday, then, like minimized it or something and opened it back up and the music app popped back up.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Looks like bull3964 was right about Android 14!

Really surprised, 14 seems like a mostly under-the-hood shakeup. Will be good to see if battery life improves.

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009
Couple of questions about cases and camera lens protectors.

I was just unexpectedly gifted a base model S23. It currently has a screen protector, a cheap case and a single piece camera lens protector that was bundled with the screen protector.

The case has got to go. So does the lens protector since all the cases I like have individual cutouts instead of the L shape cutout that includes the flash.

I'm favoring the dbrand Grip case because I want something rubbery with an extremely minimal look. A couple of the Spigen cases meet these criteria with the added benefit of guaranteed fit with individual lens protector caps, but I've seen a lot of complaints about the grip coating on Spigen wearing off quickly.

Finally, the lens protector. Is this even necessary? I'm not prone to drops so it's not shattering I'm worried about but rather microabrasions as I often carry my phone in a bicycle frame bag along with any number of other things including keys and small tools.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CaptainCourteous posted:

Couple of questions about cases and camera lens protectors.

I was just unexpectedly gifted a base model S23. It currently has a screen protector, a cheap case and a single piece camera lens protector that was bundled with the screen protector.

The case has got to go. So does the lens protector since all the cases I like have individual cutouts instead of the L shape cutout that includes the flash.

I'm favoring the dbrand Grip case because I want something rubbery with an extremely minimal look. A couple of the Spigen cases meet these criteria with the added benefit of guaranteed fit with individual lens protector caps, but I've seen a lot of complaints about the grip coating on Spigen wearing off quickly.

Finally, the lens protector. Is this even necessary? I'm not prone to drops so it's not shattering I'm worried about but rather microabrasions as I often carry my phone in a bicycle frame bag along with any number of other things including keys and small tools.

I can't say I've had premature wear on my Spigen cases, they've always been my go-to. I don't personally use lens protectors but know plenty of people who do. They'll save your lens from any unfortunate accidents but they are much more prone to scratches, so you'll be replacing them pretty often.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have a dbrand grip case for my Pixel 7 Pro and I have no idea how they get away with calling it minimal. It's a loving brick.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Are major Android updates always released when the usual patches roll out on Mondays?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No. They basically come out when they are ready.

The lack of news so far of a September security patch is making me think it's going to be within the next week or so.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://blog.google/products/android/modern-look/

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

Desk Lamp posted:

I can't say I've had premature wear on my Spigen cases, they've always been my go-to. I don't personally use lens protectors but know plenty of people who do. They'll save your lens from any unfortunate accidents but they are much more prone to scratches, so you'll be replacing them pretty often.

Thanks, I've had good Spigen cases as well, but no experience with their grip coating.

bull3964 posted:

I have a dbrand grip case for my Pixel 7 Pro and I have no idea how they get away with calling it minimal. It's a loving brick.

I only meant the aesthetic really. I'm okay with some bulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reports are now that 14 won’t launch until October 4th and of course every single outlet on the internet it making a huge deal about it with the usual sky is falling Google doesn’t know what they are doing bla bla bla.

In reality, past performance tells us that the release usually comes 1-1.5 months after the last beta and the last beta was on Aug 25th, so…….

I really get so goddamn tired of the negative echo chamber that exists out there that invents problems that aren’t problems and cries about broken promises that were never made. There was never a very good chance that 14 was going to come today. It would have been a pleasant surprise if it did, but history tells us that it would likely been in the later half of September into October.