Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Elite Taco posted:

Get a 2004 986 S, imo. Perfect amount of buttons/dials/gauges.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

pokie posted:

Where do I get said code? The screenshot above is all I can get from their website, it doesn't spit out anything else that I could find.

It's changed recently, you (unintuitively) click on "save" and then a popup appears with the code.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Coming from a Macan S, the PDK's worst feature was normal acceleration from stops. A significant amount of time it would just bog like it was already in 2nd or 3rd which is a nightmare when crossing traffic. It was fine and smooth the rest of them time but it was almost a relief to get a CX-9 because it's basically the opposite and you never have to worry about getting t-boned pulling into traffic.

We also had the 18 way seats and they're worth every penny. By far the best seats I've ever been in and everyone who rode in it said the same.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jymmybob posted:

Coming from a Macan S, the PDK's worst feature was normal acceleration from stops. A significant amount of time it would just bog like it was already in 2nd or 3rd which is a nightmare when crossing traffic. It was fine and smooth the rest of them time but it was almost a relief to get a CX-9 because it's basically the opposite and you never have to worry about getting t-boned pulling into traffic.

We also had the 18 way seats and they're worth every penny. By far the best seats I've ever been in and everyone who rode in it said the same.

Jesus, it’s not just me. The programming on the electronic throttle is awful. Sports mode helps a bit, but there have been times when I’ve almost been t-boned because of the throttle lag. Iirc there’s some sort of product that remaps the throttle.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

knox_harrington posted:

It's changed recently, you (unintuitively) click on "save" and then a popup appears with the code.

I can't find this button for the life of me.

Residency Evil posted:

Jesus, it’s not just me. The programming on the electronic throttle is awful. Sports mode helps a bit, but there have been times when I’ve almost been t-boned because of the throttle lag. Iirc there’s some sort of product that remaps the throttle.

Not just you; slamming on gas from stop light was way slower than the same in my dumb muscle car.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Do folks have opinions on upgrading to 718 S model to reduce turbo lag vs getting the base model tuned?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Buy a 2009-2016 Cayman S instead.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

There is very limited availability of used manual caymans of any kind, none within 500 miles of me.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

pokie posted:

There is very limited availability of used manual caymans of any kind, none within 500 miles of me.

Road trip!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

kensei posted:

Road trip!

Ha, i would be willing to do that for a cheaper vehicle, having done a ~700 mile fly-n-ride for a moto. But it's kinda hard to commit to a used car of unclear quality and a giant price tag.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pokie posted:

Ha, i would be willing to do that for a cheaper vehicle, having done a ~700 mile fly-n-ride for a moto. But it's kinda hard to commit to a used car of unclear quality and a giant price tag.

I’ve bought two cars off of rennlist sellers doing fly and drives. Generally people who take the time to post on enthusiast’s forums tend to take care of their cars, and a PPI gives you a bit of extra peace of mind. Ymmv of course.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Residency Evil posted:

I’ve bought two cars off of rennlist sellers doing fly and drives. Generally people who take the time to post on enthusiast’s forums tend to take care of their cars, and a PPI gives you a bit of extra peace of mind. Ymmv of course.

OK, fair enough. I haven't bought a fancy car before, and it hasn't occurred to me there would be forums-exclusive listings.

This one looks dope https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1293936. I can't pay cash - do banks provide financing for used car sales like this?

E: boo, it looks like an old post. I have now browsed through all 2016+ models under $90k, and there was just one other that seemed ok. It lacks PASM/PTV and has 75k miler for $60k. https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1287746

pokie fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 5, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pokie posted:

I can't pay cash - do banks provide financing for used car sales like this?

[taps thread title]

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

You can also have the car shipped, it isn't that expensive in the scheme of things. Ideally you fly out, test drive and get a PPI done in person but I have bought without seeing the car in person.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

[taps thread title]

also used car notes are usurious now. pulling the trigger on say, $50K of loan at 6.9% over 60 means $1K/month and spending a total of $9,250 in financing charges. that ain't for me.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NitroSpazzz posted:

You can also have the car shipped, it isn't that expensive in the scheme of things. Ideally you fly out, test drive and get a PPI done in person but I have bought without seeing the car in person.

Amen. If you're picky and care about the packages the car comes with (and you should, since you're the sort of independent, free spirited thinker that's buying a Porsche :v:), and look for cars with specific sports seats/specific transmission/sports exhaust/etc, your options are going to be very limited, and may not be up for sale at any given time. It's very possible your specific car comes up for sale in California/Texas/etc. Don't be afraid to fly and/or ship the right car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

also used car notes are usurious now. pulling the trigger on say, $50K of loan at 6.9% over 60 means $1K/month and spending a total of $9,250 in financing charges. that ain't for me.

I just checked and Penfed is at 6.8% on a 36 month loan. Yikes.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I can get 6.5% rate from my bank, which amounts to 13% on top over the course of a 4 year loan.

I might consider used, if I could actually find a car that has the options I want, but so far no luck.

Residency Evil posted:

Amen. If you're picky and care about the packages the car comes with (and you should, since you're the sort of independent, free spirited thinker that's buying a Porsche :v:), and look for cars with specific sports seats/specific transmission/sports exhaust/etc, your options are going to be very limited, and may not be up for sale at any given time. It's very possible your specific car comes up for sale in California/Texas/etc. Don't be afraid to fly and/or ship the right car.

Yeah, that's the main problem. Just wanting manual cuts down the list to very few candidates.

pokie fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 5, 2023

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

Yeah, that's the main problem. Just wanting manual cuts down the list to very few candidates.

I once bought a Panamera Turbo S Executive out of Newport RI and shipped it to Hawaii. Use Reliable carriers. They have specialized enclosed trailers. If you want X color, X options, X transmission, you will be looking nation wide, and even then you arent going to find the car you exactly want. If you dont buy and spec it brand new, itll never be to your specs. Porsche said a few years ago that almost no 2 sports cars are alike through the production run given their wide options. Going to have to settle in some manner. For example my Spyder is missing PCCB's and carbon buckets, but it was the only blue one for sale.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

pokie posted:

I can get 6.5% rate from my bank, which amounts to 13% on top over the course of a 4 year loan.

I might consider used, if I could actually find a car that has the options I want, but so far no luck.

Have you looked at the used stock on the Porsche website? Quite a few on there. You're unlikely to get exactly the options you'd specify yourself but several look good to me.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

knox_harrington posted:

Have you looked at the used stock on the Porsche website? Quite a few on there. You're unlikely to get exactly the options you'd specify yourself but several look good to me.

I can't figure out how to make it show me stuff outside a 500 mile radius of my zipcode.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Just dartboard major cities across the us in multiple searches. You also used to be able to change the query in the DOM inspector, changing it in the url doesn't work. Dealers can search the whole country. There are also brokerage services that are good at searching the whole country, and finding allocations, cost for that is usually less markup that large dealers charge for theirs. Also consider just calling every dealer in OR, WA, NorCal, etc, occasionally you'll get a lead on something like an incoming CPO, press car, etc, that's not listed on any website yet.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

It's a good idea and you know it!

There are far worse ideas :)

Also, anyone going to Boxstoberfest this coming weekend? luv2goonp

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 5, 2023

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

knox_harrington posted:

The used stuff costs more than MSRP.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MrLogan posted:

Not when I just looked

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

MrLogan posted:

must be looking at the in demand stuff, always has.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Aquila posted:

Just dartboard major cities across the us in multiple searches. You also used to be able to change the query in the DOM inspector, changing it in the url doesn't work. Dealers can search the whole country. There are also brokerage services that are good at searching the whole country, and finding allocations, cost for that is usually less markup that large dealers charge for theirs. Also consider just calling every dealer in OR, WA, NorCal, etc, occasionally you'll get a lead on something like an incoming CPO, press car, etc, that's not listed on any website yet.

OK, that works albeit it's a pain in the butt. There are a couple of options out there for sure. It may be stupid but spending ~20k less to get a car that's out of warranty and isn't exactly what I want is a bit much. I will keep browsing though.

E.g. this is kinda cool, but I think alcantara is kinda ugly https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US...l&order=closest

E: OK, I looked everywhere in the country. There is still very little. I think I found one other 718 that had a nice interior and PTV package with manual <$100k. I think I am unfortunately one of those "independent, free spirited thinker" types that is not willing to compromise on some key features I want from a luxury sports car. What it comes down to is that for a massive price tag I want to get most of the things that excite me (and have a warranty) so I will end up buying new if at all.

pokie fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 5, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arione posted:

must be looking at the in demand stuff, always has.

Not true?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Trying harder...
What about this guy? https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US...l&order=closest

I am a bit iffy on convertibles cuz more failure points...

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
oh hell yeah. I've never heard anything against Porsche convertibles other than lower resale/less demand and that's a great color and option set.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pokie posted:

Trying harder...

That's a well optioned car. Get it if you like the price!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

oh hell yeah. I've never heard anything against Porsche convertibles other than lower resale/less demand and that's a great color and option set.

Agreed - sport chrono and PASM nice. Except what appears to be an alcantera steering wheel. Those get disgusting immediately. That's easily and cheapy corrected though, wouldn't stop me from buying.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

pokie posted:

Trying harder...

That's a cool car ✅

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Residency Evil posted:

That's a well optioned car. Get it if you like the price!
How obnoxious is the convertible top to deal with/maintain?

The alternative is this guy
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US...l&order=closest

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pokie posted:

It's not at all. They are very well made very nice convertible tops.

They have had their "misses" in the past, with plastic rear windows, but that's no longer a thing.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Fuuuck it, i will call that dealer. It's just so much cheaper than getting a new base model with options.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pokie posted:

The alternative is this guy
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US...l&order=closest

The new tops are great. You just have to figure out if you're a convertible guy or not (I am not).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not a convertible guy either, but that blue is sharp.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am not like, in love with them, but they are fine

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pokie posted:

I am not like, in love with them, but they are fine

If you intend to drive around with the top up most/all of the time you are NOT a convertible guy and will not like one.

When I said the tops are well made and nice, I mean "for a convertible". With the top up it's absolutely a compromise cabin.

You should go find some locally to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Motronic posted:

If you intend to drive around with the top up most/all of the time you are NOT a convertible guy and will not like one.

When I said the tops are well made and nice, I mean "for a convertible". With the top up it's absolutely a compromise cabin.

You should go find some locally to drive.

I have rented a convertible Camaro in Hawaii and thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately I live near Portland, OR, so much of the year will be too wet for it.