Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Super-NintendoUser posted:

We're you the maniac that did it without fast travel?

I was one of those and only began to warp after clearing all the towers and most lighthouses. I had 105 shrines by that point. It was the funnest part so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Fast travel is for the weak

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People who don't fast travel are stupid morons who play games wrong

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Hrist posted:

Mario just generalizes everyone. They're all equally beneath him. They're all just "bro" to him, because they don't deserve his mind dedicating even a single neuron to their names.

Super Mario Bruh Moment

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

People who don't fast travel are stupid morons who play games wrong

Hey now. I think that's a bit harsh. I personally don't care how others play games, as long as they have fun.

Now, if anybody refuses to use fast travel, and then complains about getting lost/the game being too big/it taking too long to get anywhere? Such a person would be deserving of sound mockery.

I don't think that's what's happening here though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Hey now. I think that's a bit harsh. I personally don't care how others play games, as long as they have fun.

Now, if anybody refuses to use fast travel, and then complains about getting lost/the game being too big/it taking too long to get anywhere? Such a person would be deserving of sound mockery.

I don't think that's what's happening here though.

Yeah to each their own. I definitely missed out on the sky stuff since I only went up there when a tower got me close enough to launch me into one/I built a flying machine, which given how few capsules I had after my first initial glut wasn't all that common.

Trekking through the Underground, finding points of interest, and mining has also been a highlight. It adds enough danger and challenge to give the exploration a nice edge.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Hrist posted:

Mario just generalizes everyone. They're all equally beneath him. They're all just "bro" to him, because they don't deserve his mind dedicating even a single neuron to their names.

No, that's not right. He wears overalls and work boots...I mean he's an everyman like us, right?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Warhammer 40k Boltgun is getting a physical release real soon. I heard it was good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s very mid. Level design is awful.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

No, that's not right. He wears overalls and work boots...I mean he's an everyman like us, right?

in the original japanese dub mario actually calls everyone "comrade" but nintendo of america localized it to "bro"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s very mid. Level design is awful.

So, just as good as Doom then

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

not even close

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Today a close friend came to visit my family. We all sat down in the living room beat DKC in a single sitting together, without using the Switch’s rewind feature.

One of our all time favorite comfort food video games.

My son turned two this weekend and he was into the game from start to finish. It was his first game clear.

What a great day. I’m gonna remember this forever and carry this feeling with me as long as I can.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Mario is scouse now

He calls everyone bruv

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Help me decide what to use my remaining game voucher on:

Mario RPG Remake vs. Mario Wonder.

Considerations:
Mario RPG Remake - first RPG I liked; fond memories of playing hooky from school to finish it; good end-of-day chillout game; love the soundtrack; remake looks pretty.

Mario Wonder - looks innovative; can play co-op with my wife; been replaying Mario 3 and reminded 2d platformers are fun; talking flowers make interesting observations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Banjo Bones posted:

Considerations:
Mario RPG Remake - first RPG I liked; fond memories of playing hooky from school to finish it; good end-of-day chillout game; love the soundtrack; remake looks pretty.

Mario Wonder - looks innovative; can play co-op with my wife; been replaying Mario 3 and reminded 2d platformers are fun; talking flowers make interesting observations.

Get both

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

this OP

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Sounds like you’ll get more fun in the long run with Wonder, so go for that, then grab the RPG Remake when you have a bulk of time to go play it in one sitting?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When I said not using fast travel was something only a stupid moron would do, I was just taking the piss, it's absolutely fine to do that if you want.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Today a close friend came to visit my family. We all sat down in the living room beat DKC in a single sitting together, without using the Switch’s rewind feature.

One of our all time favorite comfort food video games.

My son turned two this weekend and he was into the game from start to finish. It was his first game clear.

What a great day. I’m gonna remember this forever and carry this feeling with me as long as I can.

That sounds like a lovely time. I'm really glad that you were able to do that.

Banjo Bones posted:

Considerations:

I'd say Wonder. It's new and it'll be quality whichever way you cut it. I don't have any nostalgia to SMRPG. It's a fine game with plenty of charm, but it's old and extremely by the numbers considering the battle system. It'd be a fine way to relax after the day, but even save points aren't all that common and it has cutscenes that, not long, are still forced sequences to go through. While I'm certain you'd like SMRPG Re, it won't be anywhere near as exciting as Wonder, which given its online functions is probably best to get on, on the ground floor, while SMRPG Re will always be there with an unchanged experience.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Do this. Buy more vouchers if necessary.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Banjo Bones posted:

Considerations:

If it's gotta be just one I'd say Mario Wonder. You already know what SMRPG is like and both the old and new versions aren't going anywhere, whereas Wonder will be a new experience entirely.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As someone who's played the Mario Wonder demo :smuggo: I would recommend Wonder, it won't scratch the remake nostalgia itch but it's a drat good time and has plenty of replay value.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

When I said not using fast travel was something only a stupid moron would do, I was just taking the piss, it's absolutely fine to do that if you want.

Pfft this is exactly what somebody who wasn't taking the piss would say

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

why not just be nice in the first place...

oh switch thread...

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I’m one of those weirdos that uses fast travel as little as possible but the idea of not abusing it in ToTK makes me insane.
There’s like, 8 places in the depths you can get out without it for fucks sakes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I’m one of those weirdos that uses fast travel as little as possible but the idea of not abusing it in ToTK makes me insane.
There’s like, 8 places in the depths you can get out without it for fucks sakes.

It's also a canon ability used in cutscenes instead of a gameplay conceit. So nobody should feel bad about it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Your Computer posted:

oh switch thread...

I agree with you, but also this statement combined with your avatar is very funny. :laugh: Also reminds me of the time somebody planted that shirt as a pattern on my Island and it spread like wildfire.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your Computer posted:

oh switch thread...

Because I was on a flight, sleep deprived, and knew a vital server was down with an impending countdown of bringing down production and unable to do anything about it cause the Wi-Fi was so slow I couldn't remote into my office

The Postman
May 12, 2007

The Nintendo Switch is portable

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

minya posted:

At some point, one of the developers for the Steamworld games was posting in this thread. I wonder if they’re still active.

Concur that Steamworld Heist and both Steamworld Dig games are some of my favorites. Both have way more personality than is needed for indie games of their scale, with superbly well-designed gameplay. I was less thrilled with the deckbuilder Steamworld game (whose name I can’t remember rn, telling I guess) but I still enjoyed it.

Heist in particular is just a masterpiece imho.

I loved Steamworld Dig 1+2 (remember getting the first on a whim on the DS and being totally surprised by it), only got a few missions into Heist. The only thing stopping me from continuing further is, and I realize this is incredibly dumb and I'd love to get over it, the idea of the ranking system at the end grading you by stuff like how many turns you've taken in combat. Absolutely not worth stopping the game over, but it gives me a weird some of paralysis wondering if I'm doing something efficient enough. Dumb.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah and getting to the sky islands can otherwise be a real issue if you're into building contraptions/loaded up on battery.

I'm missing one Sage Will and I have no idea what it is. I've looked at a map at this point and haven't yet gone through each point with a fine tooth comb but I'm pretty sure I've found them all but I clearly haven't.

Morpheus posted:

I loved Steamworld Dig 1+2 (remember getting the first on a whim on the DS and being totally surprised by it), only got a few missions into Heist. The only thing stopping me from continuing further is, and I realize this is incredibly dumb and I'd love to get over it, the idea of the ranking system at the end grading you by stuff like how many turns you've taken in combat. Absolutely not worth stopping the game over, but it gives me a weird some of paralysis wondering if I'm doing something efficient enough. Dumb.

Problems like those are the worst. It happens to me with the highly customizable FE because I feel like I'm not taking the best classes which is bad. Choice paralysis is tough. Maybe you can try again at some point. I hope you do, it's an excellent game.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Because I was on a flight, sleep deprived, and knew a vital server was down with an impending countdown of bringing down production and unable to do anything about it cause the Wi-Fi was so slow I couldn't remote into my office

My man that's when you should've fast traveled!!

Morpheus posted:

I've played through Heist at least 6 or 7 times now and every time, I get bronze stars at the very end. It stings...but then I get over it because the game is so drat good. Then I start a new playthrough and completely forget the stars. I just began a new run on Elite...I managed to clear it on 3DS so by all rights I should be able to do it again eh? :ohdear:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Also SteamWorld Heist doesn't allow you to record video with the back button, fucks up with that?

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

The only thing stopping me from continuing further is, and I realize this is incredibly dumb and I'd love to get over it, the idea of the ranking system at the end grading you by stuff like how many turns you've taken in combat. Absolutely not worth stopping the game over, but it gives me a weird some of paralysis wondering if I'm doing something efficient enough. Dumb.

I get this wholeheartedly. I feel like a game becomes a lot more transactional and by-the-numbers when it adds a tier system, making you fret over every decision to try and get that elusive S tier.

Now obviously there are exceptions and genres where it totally makes sense (character action games), but when it’s shoehorned I bounce from a game very quickly.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

yung lambic posted:

I get this wholeheartedly. I feel like a game becomes a lot more transactional and by-the-numbers when it adds a tier system, making you fret over every decision to try and get that elusive S tier.

Now obviously there are exceptions and genres where it totally makes sense (character action games), but when it’s shoehorned I bounce from a game very quickly.

I wouldn't even mind if it were a fight-by-fight thing. But ranking you over the course of the entire game is rough.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WHY BONER NOW posted:

My man that's when you should've fast traveled!!

Hoisted by my own petard!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

I agree with you, but also this statement combined with your avatar is very funny. :laugh: Also reminds me of the time somebody planted that shirt as a pattern on my Island and it spread like wildfire.

that somebody wasn't me was it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah and getting to the sky islands can otherwise be a real issue if you're into building contraptions/loaded up on battery.

I'm missing one Sage Will and I have no idea what it is. I've looked at a map at this point and haven't yet gone through each point with a fine tooth comb but I'm pretty sure I've found them all but I clearly haven't.

Just accept it given the 5th sage is absolutely awful and not deserving of the upgrade. I have the other four running around but the 5th is definitely disabled.