Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Tbh it also depends on how fast you are on the mouse because you can tail whip a turret before it pulls you out of prowl mode.

Like everything in this game, playing on console makes simple poo poo needlessly more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TXChainSawGame/status/1698747548545015852?s=20

Ouch. Taking PC off crossplay's going to hurt the game if it goes on too long.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/TXChainSawGame/status/1698747548545015852?s=20

Ouch. Taking PC off crossplay's going to hurt the game if it goes on too long.

Given their rationale I kind of get it. I was thinking of picking TCM up and watched a couple of broadcasts on Steam, and about half of them were blatantly cheating. (had the trainer UI overlay on the game visible and everything). If it’s that pervasive I can see why they’d want to quarantine PC gamers for the time being.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Genpei Turtle posted:

Given their rationale I kind of get it. I was thinking of picking TCM up and watched a couple of broadcasts on Steam, and about half of them were blatantly cheating. (had the trainer UI overlay on the game visible and everything). If it’s that pervasive I can see why they’d want to quarantine PC gamers for the time being.

Oh, I get it as well, it's more about how it feels like it could be a problem that trips up the game from the jump. I've also seen a lot of hackers which is dumb for a goofy party game with a man with a chainsaw, and not even fun hackers just like infinite stamina hackers.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Releasing a game without a functioning anti cheat and then punishing an entire platform of players because of their gently caress up feels really bad. But I'm a bit extra salty because it means I won't be able to play with my friends

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1699054719413387332?s=20

Huh who would have known the free 8 stacks of STBFL on Tail Attacks wasn't intended.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently popular DBD streamer Ayrun isn't streaming DBD anymore and will only be streaming TCM for the foreseeable future. His big reason was that he was sick and tired of only playing against the same couple of killers over and over again and just getting fed up with the state of the game.

So that's probably a good sign, huh?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Shame to hear they're gonna lose all their viewers.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Lmao at hitching wagon to a game that'll be lucky to hold out for six months. Not a comment on TCM quality but just the odds with every asym horror game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

Lmao at hitching wagon to a game that'll be lucky to hold out for six months. Not a comment on TCM quality but just the odds with every asym horror game.

Oh I'm sure he'll be back to DBD in a few months, but if I was Hank Behaviour, I might take it as a bad sign that people aren't like "hey this is a new game in a genre I enjoy, I'm gonna play it for a while" but "I am so fed up with DBD's bullshit that I'm jumping ship". People are shouting from the rooftops that they need to start fundamentally fixing their game, to very little effect.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh I'm sure he'll be back to DBD in a few months, but if I was Hank Behaviour, I might take it as a bad sign that people aren't like "hey this is a new game in a genre I enjoy, I'm gonna play it for a while" but "I am so fed up with DBD's bullshit that I'm jumping ship". People are shouting from the rooftops that they need to start fundamentally fixing their game, to very little effect.

Doubtful. It's a new game, has that new game smell, but BHVR won't be panicking unless it's 3 months down the road and TCM is still higher than it. Which I'm sorry, it won't be.

TCM seems like a fantastic game to play if you have 7 friends to play together, but from what I've seen on Twitch it's already becoming slightly unfun with the people that are treating it like it's a competitive game.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Or it's just a long time DbD streamer finally dealing with massive burnout and using TCM as an excuse to take a break. :shrug:

DbD will always have core issues imo, most of what's keeping it afloat is sunk cost fallacy, the relative uniqueness of being major first in a unique-ish genre, and star power from so many different franchises.

Frankly I feel immensely terrible for any content creator who's made their name with a single game. The amount of mental required to stay positive and enjoying a particular game is insane and majority of streamers can't do it, most just becoming really cynical and frustrated. BoxBox, a TFT streamer, is fairly up front and has stated that if he ever plays a different game on stream he loses half his viewership minimum, and will also hemorrhage viewership if he plays another game while waiting in queue. So he's just had to suck it up when it's TFT stream day and sit there staring at a screen waiting for a queue to pop, and is fortunate enough to be able to stream other games occasionally without having to worry for his livelihood.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Evil Kit posted:

Or it's just a long time DbD streamer finally dealing with massive burnout and using TCM as an excuse to take a break. :shrug:

DbD will always have core issues imo, most of what's keeping it afloat is sunk cost fallacy, the relative uniqueness of being major first in a unique-ish genre, and star power from so many different franchises.

Frankly I feel immensely terrible for any content creator who's made their name with a single game. The amount of mental required to stay positive and enjoying a particular game is insane and majority of streamers can't do it, most just becoming really cynical and frustrated. BoxBox, a TFT streamer, is fairly up front and has stated that if he ever plays a different game on stream he loses half his viewership minimum, and will also hemorrhage viewership if he plays another game while waiting in queue. So he's just had to suck it up when it's TFT stream day and sit there staring at a screen waiting for a queue to pop, and is fortunate enough to be able to stream other games occasionally without having to worry for his livelihood.

Yeah it's a major issue and one of the reasons why streaming is a capital J Job rather than a hobby you make money at. I don't really watch streams, but a lot of the people who have an easier time of it tend to be genre streamers, ie "horror streamer", strategy, and so on. Even shooter streamers can somewhat jump between different shooters so long as they all have similar mechanics. Your CoD streamer can't suddenly start playing Post Scriptum but they can do Battlefield.

But then you have hyper-specific games like DbD and there really is no off ramp. If you're enough of an entertainer then maybe people won't care but it's still going to be a hit to your viewers and therefore finances no matter what.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Kit posted:

Yeah, I have a streamer friend who just eventually decided to add Hunt: Showdown and TCM to the rotation because they just can't stand how DBD gets especially in the evening about 7 PM EST when it feels like everybody with a bad day at work wants to take it out on other people.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
But then there's the example of AngryPug, he loathed playing DBD so he stopped for a bit, went from 2k to like 300 or less playing COD. He came back to DBD for a bit and his users went up. TCM came out and he's got more viewers than he has in years.

I think Evil Kit is right, if it's used as like a safety valve for when you're sick of the game it's fine. I don't see TCM overthrowing DBD but it can last. I don't think the competitive poo poo will get in it's way either, because the people who don't care won't care.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I have a streamer friend who just eventually decided to add Hunt: Showdown and TCM to the rotation because they just can't stand how DBD gets especially in the evening about 7 PM EST when it feels like everybody with a bad day at work wants to take it out on other people.

Ha I noticed this as well, right around 6-7 it just turns into Sweatfest 2023 from killers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Imo it's not as much of a "bad day at work", more you're more willing to try hard if it's the first few games that you play that day.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1699105206511050763?s=20

A lot of DBD streamers went on to play Deceive, Inc. You can get it as part of the monthly Humble Bundle for $12 (along with other games).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo it's not as much of a "bad day at work", more you're more willing to try hard if it's the first few games that you play that day.

It was mostly that because once it starts at 7-ish or so it just doesn't stop.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Just a heads up:

In today's shrine, it's saying I can buy Inner Healing and Guardian at Tier 1, even though I already have both. I normally buy anything I don't already have, but seeing it available at Tier 1 isn't as reliable as it normally is.

Don't buy something you already own by accident... :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BrewingTea posted:

Just a heads up:

In today's shrine, it's saying I can buy Inner Healing and Guardian at Tier 1, even though I already have both. I normally buy anything I don't already have, but seeing it available at Tier 1 isn't as reliable as it normally is.

Don't buy something you already own by accident... :)

It's already been changed, now it's Adrenaline and For The People.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Evil Kit posted:

Sure, I totally get that. Nothing wrong with taking breaks from games, but in my experience when it's delivered with that kind "I can't deal with this loving bullshit anymore" vitriol, it's not a good sign of the game's health.

To compare: I play a lot of Final Fantasy XIV and World of Tanks. When I take a break from FFXIV, it's just a thing. OK, I feel like playing something else for a while, I'll be back when the next content patch drops etc. With World of Tanks it gets to a point where playing the game actively makes me angry and frustrated, and I feel like I never want to touch it again.

The fact that DBD is in the second category is IMO an awful sign of the game's overall state and health. I don't even think we need to bring any competitors -- serious or not -- into the discussion. It's not news to anyone in this thread that the game's playerbase is generally a toxic sewer, and the balancing has glaring and large problems. And Behaviour seem to kinda be actively ignoring both of these problems because fixing them would take time and effort, and that would cut into their revenue streams temporarily.

I don't think the game's going to die overnight, nor that TCM is going to overthrow it (and the devs don't seem to even want to, they're content doing their own thing), but it's sad how bad things have gotten and how little hope there seems to be of anything changing. Occasionally nerfing whatever perk the spreadsheet says is the problem this month (or more realistically this six months) ain't gonna do poo poo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's a complex issue DBD is a game where it's a fortnite-esque platform for licensed characters and some mechanics that are thematically relevant to them, and also it's a game with a hard competitive streak to it where everything is broken down to bare metal mechanics. The first part drives sales but the second part is what keeps the game on streams.

Ultimately it is a catch-22 because imo the game started to come apart when SWF was added and the idea that survivors could coordinate to not only win but thoroughly bully the killer got seeded in, which made the needle swing hard to the competition side. But at the same time the streamers wouldn't be playing DBD without SWF because it would have still been a largely solo affair.

It's fine if you are like me and stupidly pay a lot of money to poke at a killer I recognize for a while, but if you are playing 8+ hours a day then there must be more crack than ceramic left in the jar holding DBD together. But the game isn't going to disappear overnight because of marks like me who will go "a new killer, here is $20" and then play it for a week before moving on. They're still profitable even if the game is falling apart.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

To compare: I play a lot of Final Fantasy XIV and World of Tanks. When I take a break from FFXIV, it's just a thing. OK, I feel like playing something else for a while, I'll be back when the next content patch drops etc. With World of Tanks it gets to a point where playing the game actively makes me angry and frustrated, and I feel like I never want to touch it again.

Didn't even one of the FFXIV devs tell you to take breaks from it?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I don't think the game's going to die overnight, nor that TCM is going to overthrow it (and the devs don't seem to even want to, they're content doing their own thing), but it's sad how bad things have gotten and how little hope there seems to be of anything changing. Occasionally nerfing whatever perk the spreadsheet says is the problem this month (or more realistically this six months) ain't gonna do poo poo.

It feels like Gun Media knows that if not for the legal stuff Friday the 13th would still be a going concern (Uber Jason RIP) and if they can do that with TCM then it's a victory.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Everyone posting about how scared dbd should be because of tcm and ayrun just remember:

quote:

Dead By Daylight and The New Asymmetrical Game That's 100% Gonna Kill DBD This Time For Real

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

e. wrong thread

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 6, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You got your tabs mixed up

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That was a good Killer pitch tho.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I pray something gets rid of dbd. The fact that xenomorph feels so fun is because we're so starved for new non stale, dated mechanics. And it really only adds one mechanic survivors side ...

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kwolok posted:

I pray something gets rid of dbd. The fact that xenomorph feels so fun is because we're so starved for new non stale, dated mechanics. And it really only adds one mechanic survivors side ...

I don't think I'd want DBD to go away entirely, but something coming into the space to be an actual competitor and make BHVR actually try for once would be good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Holy poo poo the TCM reddit is full of shameless rear end kissers lmao

"I hope it'll only be weeks before we can turn crossplay back on" - Dev

UH IT'S TEMPORARY GUYS, JUST PLAY SOMETHING ELSE

WOW EVERYONE'S SO ENTITLED, THEY ONLY TEMPORARILY CUT A MAJOR FEATURE

IT'S JUST T E M P O R A R Y

To every single valid complaint, along with a bunch of clowns really dying on this "Every PC player was a cheater" hill.

Very cool, I don't think I've seen an entire platform be tacitly villainized this hard in a long while.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 6, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It's really pathetic. Dev simps are weird. Especially after a dev team categorically fails to deliver a necessary and core feature and then removes a separate core feature to compensate just weeks into launch

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I mean it is the first month the game has been out, so I'm not gathering my pitchfork and torch yet, but at the same time lets look at the plethora of other examples of games and cheating. We couldn't have shored that up a little more guys?

The lackadaisical response to all the people's tweets beforehand bitching about this and that almost looks like it can be applied to their response here. Which is a bad look. loving CEO Spicoli going "Chill bud... we're gonna be okay"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Texas Crossplay Massacre

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1699512835745644869?s=20

Yes, BP again. They've said it will be like this through the rest of the year.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Why give out free skins when they could wring more auric cells out of us?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
At least it's not another stupid charm

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

i will take blood points that help me skip grinding out killers i hate playing but want the perks from

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There is very little funnier than a flashy bully squad trying for a save but you brought a mori and that just isn't going to work out

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

There is very little funnier than a flashy bully squad trying for a save but you brought a mori and that just isn't going to work out

Heh I was watching a streamer using Xenomorph, he started his Mori and another survivor was trying to shine their flashlight through the head hole during it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1699829934615572909?s=20

Ughhhh now the fanbase will never shut up