Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It hasn't been verbalized on panel because spoken plans always fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
I'm calling it now: Xykon has already been beaten off-panel by a party of four clerics.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

I'm calling it now: Xykon has already been beaten off-panel by a party of four clerics.

It'll never work.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

ultrafilter posted:

It'll never work.

"Your ultimate goal is a universe of pure entropy, a realm without order! I submit to you that such a universe would be statistically uniform in composition and therefore it would be ordered! Also boring." Is still one of the best logic bomb lines I've heard.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TheAceOfLungs posted:

They can't beat him off, he has no dick

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Bold of you to assume there's no magic item or spell in a 3.5 splatbook that would help with that.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Xykon was actually very unconcerned about losing his dick. We stan an ace king

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
He might be ace now, but in his fleshy days he mentions liking to bone down before his todger stopped working.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The last person who wanted to do something sexual with Xykon got drained and devoured by her own wights.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Redcloak was enforcing pre-marital abstinence.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

goblin week posted:

Xykon was actually very unconcerned about losing his dick. We stan an ace king

His coffee-tasting tastebuds on the other hand...

How did everyone learn the location of the final gate again? Also I wouldn't put it past Serini to have the portal just drop the people off at one of the gates at random. Make the troublemakers someone else's problem.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Randalor posted:

How did everyone learn the location of the final gate again? Also I wouldn't put it past Serini to have the portal just drop the people off at one of the gates at random. Make the troublemakers someone else's problem.

Xykon took Serini's diary from her some time after Lirian's gate was destroyed. That contained the locations of all the other gates.

I don't remember how the order found out. Though I guess once they knew it was at the north pole, the paladins were able to find and follow Xykon around to figure out the dungeon's location.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Randalor posted:

The party got the locations of all the Gates from Lord Shojo. The info was passed down through the leaders of the Sapphire Guard.

Team Evil got it from Serini's diary, which had all the Gate locations in code.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Vizuyos posted:

The party got the locations of all the Gates from Lord Shojo. The info was passed down through the leaders of the Sapphire Guard.

Team Evil got it from Serini's diary, which had all the Gate locations in code.

Ah, yeah, I remember, the reason they had to search for Girard's was because he was a paranoid shithead who gave Shojo the wrong coordinates.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Randalor posted:

That would be a neat trick, considering that all of the other Gate locations have been wrecked. Dorukan's dungeon in particular was obliterated on-screen.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
My memory is failing me, one of the gates was destroyed offscreen right?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

mandatory lesbian posted:

My memory is failing me, one of the gates was destroyed offscreen right?

Lirian's. It's part of Start of Darkness, though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gnoman posted:

That would be a neat trick, considering that all of the other Gate locations have been wrecked. Dorukan's dungeon in particular was obliterated on-screen.

Clearly she just dropped the party at the point furthest away from the gate itself inside the dungeon :colbert:.

I know it's like others have said and it's probably a "final dungeon" made of a combination of aspects of every other dungeon, I just think it would be funny if Serini changed the spell to make whoever reached that point become "someone else's problem".

Either that, or the gate they found was at the South Pole and she's pulling a MASSIVE sleight of hand by just saying they found the gate at "the pole". The bit I found of Shinjo talking about the location of the gates just said that she built Kragor's tomb at the North Pole, not that the gate was there. It's possible I missed someone specifying "the gate is at the north pole", there's a lot of pages and I don't have all the books so it could be in one of the bonus strips.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I know the answer is because the plot demands it be so, but yeah I have wondered why there's even a way to get to the final Gate at all. I think if older Serini were building it today she'd probably encase that fucker in several tons of the same magic stone her backstage area is made of and just have no doors. Given that she doesn't, like, perform regular maintenance, it seems. And then the portal SHOULD just gently caress you off to some completely random spot on the planet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

She's didn't know it was going to be the final gate when she built it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, having a way to access is categorically safer than the alternative? You're not going to devise a way to make it 100% inaccessible by any means, and if the path of least resistance is through you, you will know someone is trying to get there and can devote your full concentration, plus any backup you can muster, to stopping them. If you don't have any way to get there, you'll just be hosed when the villain bypasses you on a tunneling horror or epic teleport or whatever, and you have no way of knowing that they did so or rolling in to stop them.

Plus, even if the Gates don't seem to require regular maintenance, you probably don't want to have to spend a month digging for them if they ever do start breaking down, you want to be able to get there ASAP.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it makes sense that young Serini looked to Dorukan as to what a final dungeon should look like, since the aesthetics of the dungeon mattered enough to her that she makes a magical final appearance to the would-be adventuring party

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I drift in and out of following this comic due to the glacial update schedule, so I may have forgotten some of the finer points of the plot.

But I really like the idea that the fate of the world might hinge on Redcloak overcoming the sunk-cost fallacy and choosing to do the right thing at the eleventh hour.

Start of Darkness was my favorite part of this entire saga, so I'm extremely interested to see how Redcloak's story concludes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, the setting DOES openly acknowledge that it runs on typical fantasy plot beats, so the only thing we're really missing is his brother appearing before Redcloak and saying "Holy Hell, listen to the Dwarves!"

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New page - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1287.html

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Exp too is an acronym

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dungeon crawling fools, eh?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Digging real deep with this one. This is a solid, classic comic.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Absolutely classic. Perfect throwback before the climax.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Dungeon crawling fools, eh?

And rules jokes, and a 4th-wall break or two... classic stuff.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

ikanreed posted:

Exp too is an acronym

I mean, what is a lvl in fighter if not increasing your ability to execute people?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Will they go up a level before finding the gate? Or will something happen that forces them down a level?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

nimby posted:

Will they go up a level before finding the gate?

.. and treasure!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"None of those words are in the Bible" joke is great. Never say OotS isn't hip with the kids

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

While I hate, "Isn't it funny that games are different from real life?" stuff, the explanation that hit points are the Planck limit of life did make me chuckle.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I sure hope Durkon will turn undead!

(Love the throwback!)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Randalor posted:

Digging real deep with this one. This is a solid, classic comic.

It us one that Rich probably wrote 20 years but ended up not using because at that point he wanted to take the comic to a more mature direction :v:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Speaking of mature directions, I accidentally restarted the comic today and thought this panel sounded oddly familiar:

So I skipped ahead and checked, and sure enough:

Almost word for word 'cept Durkon's mom's accent is stronger than his. First time I've caught that on multiple rereads, Rich is such a good writer. I always think Durkon's vampire arc is going to be boring and a chore to reread but it always grips me.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
It's always great seeing one of the older comics still do banter-gags like it did back in the earlier days of webcomics but still do it in a way that's not like... I don't feel like I feel when I go back and read early Sluggy Freelance where the wave of a dead era of humor hits me this is good solid classic bantering. A lot of time humor feels dated to either referential "I recognize this" or "this was funny at the time" kind of stuff with long-running webcomics that carry things on, but OotS manages to keep doing it well and I don't know that's affecting me more than I thought it should for a gag comic update you know? Even in these our modern times you can still get silly and it's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
A perfect metatextual reference to the comic's own journey.

It's.... beautiful.