Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Antillie posted:

Just be sure to get the home inspected before you buy it. Then again, my inspector missed the fact that the garbage disposal under the sink was hooked up wrong and poured water into the cabinet whenever you ran the dishwasher. Nothing some towels, a quick call to a local plumber, and $500 couldn't fix. Still a pain in the rear end though.

Yes get a home inspected, but be aware that home inspections are super cursory and can and will miss all sorts of stuff all the time. Just because a house passes inspection doesn’t mean there’s no issues, and home inspections really cannot find major lurking issues since an inspector cannot move anything or open anything up.

No matter what, plan on having a sizable maintenance and repair budget for all the things that will happen or be discovered in your first couple years of ownership. And beyond.

Home maintenance and repairs tend to be lumpy and come in waves, not just a nice $X/mo like rent. It’ll be nearly zero for a while and then bam $15k for some big issue that needs addressed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Life is a series of marshmallow tests but maybe the people who immediately eat the marshmallow have their own wisdom. What if the promised second marshmallow was a lie? In that case eating the marshmallow immediately was the smart choice.

Saving is actually a form of trust that the future will reward delayed gratification, which isn't necessarily guaranteed.

This is basically what runs through my head when I sit staring at the screen to elect how much of my paycheck to sock away in a 401k after maxing employer match. (Which is where I am in that giant flowchart of responsible financial tactics, but I think it's something everybody hits once they're out of crisis mode and start saving.)

You could be hit by a bus tomorrow. On your death bed, would you rather have put that extra few percent pre-tax in a retirement account or gone on a trip with your family to the beach?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Mr Newsman posted:

Why wouldn't you just be able to rent in the same school district?

I can see concerns about being priced out. But like moving (and not being in the same school district) every couple of years seems excessive if you're prioritizing that stability.

When do kids even remember that as adults? Middle school? Like surely one or two moves isn't going to scar them for life.

School districts for elementary schools are tiny and our kids are separated by 3 years (our first kid enters elementary school next year, for context). So even if we manage to maintain a rental in the same tiny zone for the duration that kid #1 is in elementary school, our next one will be entering right then and we risk moving #2 between schools during a move even if the move keeps #1 in the same middle school, unless, again, we stick within this tiny area. Obviously, things get easier as they get older because the area covered by a single school expands, but its not as simple to manage as you might think when we're talking about a large population-dense city. Our city's public school system has over 120 elementary schools in it so you dont have to move far to cross a boundary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr Newsman posted:

Why wouldn't you just be able to rent in the same school district?

I can see concerns about being priced out. But like moving (and not being in the same school district) every couple of years seems excessive if you're prioritizing that stability.

When do kids even remember that as adults? Middle school? Like surely one or two moves isn't going to scar them for life.

this is a matter of some considerable debate but a lot of studies have found that school moves are pretty heavily correlated with lower performance post-move

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
quote is not edit

but I'll add here that I agree about the damaging effects switching schools can have

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 5, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

This is basically what runs through my head when I sit staring at the screen to elect how much of my paycheck to sock away in a 401k after maxing employer match. (Which is where I am in that giant flowchart of responsible financial tactics, but I think it's something everybody hits once they're out of crisis mode and start saving.)

You could be hit by a bus tomorrow. On your death bed, would you rather have put that extra few percent pre-tax in a retirement account or gone on a trip with your family to the beach?

depends on if you're on your death bed destitute because you didn't save enough money for retirement

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

*on my deathbed, in an old conversion van* I'm glad I bought all of those sick video games

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
death comes for us all

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My family would probably have more fun at the beach without me after the bus incident.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Valicious posted:

I’m looking for a good iOS app that’ll let me enter all my info across multiple accounts, then show data on the portfolio as a whole. (Preferably with a handy pie chart)
I used to use Empower (formerly Personal Capital), but it doesn’t give the data breakdown I wanted or funds as a % of total portfolio. While automatically pulling balances from accounts is a major plus, I’ll enter transactions manually if needed.

I have a lot of distaste for personal capital but it... basically does this unless you very specifically need to see from the top level what % of your overall portfolio a fund is? That's one of the reasons I still put up with their absolute trash-tier support. Just go to Investing > Allocation.

The top level is % by asset type instead of by fund (which seems generally more useful anyway), but if you click in to an asset type you can see the breakdown of what % of your Large Cap Growth US Stock or whatever is in what fund.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so i suddenly ended up a large amount of money i wasnt planning on getting. i currently have two bank accounts and i need to divvy up the money so that its FDIC insured while i look out for a house. whats the safest way of doing this? just open more banking accounts?? is this the right thread to ask. idk.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

anime was right posted:

so i suddenly ended up a large amount of money i wasnt planning on getting. i currently have two bank accounts and i need to divvy up the money so that its FDIC insured while i look out for a house. whats the safest way of doing this? just open more banking accounts??

FDIC insurance works per depositor per bank. So having two $250k accounts at the same bank leaves you only half covered. This can get complicated pretty quick if you have a large amount of money that you want to have covered. Most brokers offer cash management accounts that automatically spread your money across multiple banks in such a way that it will all be FDIC insured.

If you are willing to forgo FDIC insurance you can look into government money market funds like SPAXX or VMFXX. SGOV is also a popular ETF to park cash in for the purposes of emergency funds and general savings. Although these options forgo FDIC coverage they are generally considered to be very safe and highly liquid. They also tend to pay as much or more than a high yield savings account.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 6, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah my current accounts are in two different banks. ill look into a cash management option with fidelity or something. thanks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, while it makes sense to talk to a tax preparer or accountant, please beware that you are now a target of financial advisors, many of whom are charlantans and the large majority of whom charge what might sound innocuous like 1% AUM but are in the long run completely exorbitant fees, and their main job is not to pick safe secure investments for you, it's to extract fees from you.

Please come back here with detailed questions if you decide you need advice about how to reasonably safely invest your money for the long term. The OP is a good place to start.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

anime was right posted:

yeah my current accounts are in two different banks. ill look into a cash management option with fidelity or something. thanks.

Fidelity should also auto-roll treasuries for you for free, which is nice. Its currently a very good time for risk-free returns on an all cash portfolio.

If you think you need the money in less than a month or so, maybe not

caluki
Nov 12, 2000
I have a rollover IRA with Fidelity from an old 401k. I want to move that to my current employer 401k to clear the way for making a backdoor Roth IRA contribution. My current employer 401k allows this. I am almost positive this is the case, but there's nothing taxable about this transaction, since it's just one pre-tax account to another, correct? It will just require requesting a check from Fidelity and then sending it on to my current 401k provider?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

caluki posted:

I have a rollover IRA with Fidelity from an old 401k. I want to move that to my current employer 401k to clear the way for making a backdoor Roth IRA contribution. My current employer 401k allows this. I am almost positive this is the case, but there's nothing taxable about this transaction, since it's just one pre-tax account to another, correct? It will just require requesting a check from Fidelity and then sending it on to my current 401k provider?
Correct, rollovers aren't taxable events. Just moving money from one administrator to another, not reclassifying it. It will generate a 1099-R form for your taxes as a distribution event, but it won't be taxable.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
Someone remind me what a good/bad expense ratio is on retirement funds? I checked on an old 401k from a previous job and the gross/net expense ratios on the biggest investments are in the 0.4-0.6% range. Meanwhile my current job's Fidelity target date fund is at 0.38% while the individual Fidelity index funds (after I started building my own blend) are all below 0.06%. I feel like I should just rollover unless there's a reason to have a 401k you're no longer contributing to? I remember trying to rollover when I left that job and the company rep talked me out of it with some blurb, but they were probably just trying to keep the money

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

caluki posted:

It's best if you can arrange a custodian to custodian transfer where Fidelity sends the check directly to your 401k rather than to you. Less chance of making a costly mistake and owing taxes and penalties that way.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Vesna posted:

Someone remind me what a good/bad expense ratio is on retirement funds? I checked on an old 401k from a previous job and the gross/net expense ratios on the biggest investments are in the 0.4-0.6% range. Meanwhile my current job's Fidelity target date fund is at 0.38% while the individual Fidelity index funds (after I started building my own blend) are all below 0.06%. I feel like I should just rollover unless there's a reason to have a 401k you're no longer contributing to? I remember trying to rollover when I left that job and the company rep talked me out of it with some blurb, but they were probably just trying to keep the money

0.4% is definitely bad for the kind of simple index funds that this thread recommends - that 0.06% is more what you want - but 401k options aren't always great, so they might be the best you can do with that account. (This would be a reason to rollover, but there are reasons not to, as well.)

As for the Fidelity TDF: what's the symbol? Fidelity has cheap index TDFs and expensive active TDFs but the former have ERs around 0.12% and the latter have ERs around 0.75% so I'm not sure what you've got.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer

raminasi posted:

0.4% is definitely bad for the kind of simple index funds that this thread recommends - that 0.06% is more what you want - but 401k options aren't always great, so they might be the best you can do with that account. (This would be a reason to rollover, but there are reasons not to, as well.)

As for the Fidelity TDF: what's the symbol? Fidelity has cheap index TDFs and expensive active TDFs but the former have ERs around 0.12% and the latter have ERs around 0.75% so I'm not sure what you've got.

The 401k for my current job is with Fidelity, and almost all the money is in a mix of FXAIX/FSGGX/FSMAX/FXNAX. I have about 2% of my total Fidelity investment in RFITX just because that was the default setting when I got hired and it took me a couple months to build my own mix. So my investments in my current employer's Fidelity plan are already almost all in the 0.015-0.06% gross/net ratio.

It's the investments in my former employer's (non-Fidelity) 401k that are all sitting at the 0.4-0.6% range, so I feel like it'd make sense to roll them over to my current employer's Fidelity plan and shove them into the same mix?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Vesna posted:

The 401k for my current job is with Fidelity, and almost all the money is in a mix of FXAIX/FSGGX/FSMAX/FXNAX. I have about 2% of my total Fidelity investment in RFITX just because that was the default setting when I got hired and it took me a couple months to build my own mix. So my investments in my current employer's Fidelity plan are already almost all in the 0.015-0.06% gross/net ratio.

It's the investments in my former employer's (non-Fidelity) 401k that are all sitting at the 0.4-0.6% range, so I feel like it'd make sense to roll them over to my current employer's Fidelity plan and shove them into the same mix?

Most likely. One other thing you can compare, if you're willing to shovel through the minutiae of plan documents, is the record-keeping fee charged by each manager to run the plan. It's mathematically possible for your current plan's record-keeping fee to be high enough that overall you're paying more even with the cheaper funds, although I'd be very surprised if it were the case. But you can double-check if you want to be maximally diligent.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

raminasi posted:

record-keeping fee

this is actually a thing, isnt it

401ks seem to be a deal where you get a higher contribution limit in exchange for the financial industry getting to grift you and or your employer a little. Or a lot.

None of these weird fees exist with the Simple IRA I have, but for reasons, these plans are only available to employers with 100 employees or less.

Looking at Vanguard's page, a couple nice things coming next year:

john c bogle posted:

Beginning with tax year 2024, SECURE 2.0 allows an employer to make additional contributions to each employee of the plan in a uniform manner, provided that the contribution may not exceed the lesser of up to 10% of compensation or $5,000 (indexed for inflation). Employers are also permitted to treat student loan payments as elective deferrals for purposes of matching contributions.

SECURE 2.0 also allows employers of SIMPLE IRAs to offer the ability to make Roth contributions.

If I read that right it sounds like you can get an additional $5k year in employer contributions "in a uniform manner" (i read this as a bonus payment), which is a huge increase.

Roth also nice to have.

edit:

A non-elective contribution made in a uniform manner is very clear, senator

the senate posted:

Section 116, Allow additional nonelective contributions to SIMPLE plans. Current law requires employers with SIMPLE plans to make employer contributions to employees of either 2
percent of compensation or 3 percent of employee elective deferral contributions. Section 116 permits an employer to make additional contributions to each employee of the plan in a uniform
manner, provided that the contribution may not exceed the lesser of up to 10 percent of compensation or $5,000 (indexed).

drk fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 6, 2023

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Actually a lot of interesting stuff in Secure 2.0: https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Secure%202.0_Section%20by%20Section%20Summary%2012-19-22%20FINAL.pdf

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Roth emergency savings account? One more for tax advantaged account collectors

secure two posted:

Section 127 provides employers the option to offer to their non-highly compensated employees pension-linked emergency savings accounts. Employers may automatically opt employees into these accounts at no more than 3 percent of their salary, and the portion of an account attributable to the employee’s contribution is capped at $2,500 (or lower as set by the employer). Once the cap is reached, the additional contributions can be directed to the employee’s Roth defined contribution plan (if they have one) or stopped until the balance attributable to contributions falls below the cap. Contributions are made on a Roth-like basis and are treated as elective deferrals for purposes of retirement matching contributions with an annual matching cap set at the maximum account balance – i.e., $2,500 or lower as set by the plan sponsor. The first four withdrawals from the account each plan year may not be subject to any fees or charges solely on the basis of such withdrawals. At separation from service, employees may take their emergency savings accounts as cash or roll it into their Roth defined contribution plan (if they have one) or IRA.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

drk posted:

Roth emergency savings account? One more for tax advantaged account collectors

Sounds like they're trying really hard to get employees contributing something/anything to retirement plans. From another site:

quote:

The savings contributions by the employee count for the purposes of any employer match in the plan, up to the same dollar amount as the account balance limit ($2,500 or less as set by the plan sponsor). These matching dollars must be directed to the retirement account within the plan, not the savings account.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

SamDabbers posted:

It's best if you can arrange a custodian to custodian transfer where Fidelity sends the check directly to your 401k rather than to you. Less chance of making a costly mistake and owing taxes and penalties that way.

it's a pain in the rear end dealing with checks and of course my old 401k sent two of them directly to my house. rip

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

drk posted:

this is actually a thing, isnt it

401ks seem to be a deal where you get a higher contribution limit in exchange for the financial industry getting to grift you and or your employer a little. Or a lot.

None of these weird fees exist with the Simple IRA I have, but for reasons, these plans are only available to employers with 100 employees or less.

Yeah basically because employees don't have a choice in their 401k provider. Employers can shop around, but maybe the HR person in charge of that doesn't give a poo poo or is easily persuaded by a nice dinner and sports tickets from the 401k sales rep.

My last employer did give a poo poo and negotiated insanely low fees: $18 a year and access to all the ultra ultra low fee vanguard admiral funds that you normally gotta have a million aum to buy. My current employer, eh not so much. It's not awful but it's still objectively worse fee wise.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Vesna posted:

We have a 401k with Fidelity now and most of their fund options' fees are in this range. :(

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

We have a 401k with Fidelity now and most of their fund options' fees are in this range. :(
As long as you have a couple cheap index funds available whatever other fluff options are also available don't matter.

My own workplace has like 30 options through Fidelity, but I only use 4 index funds that are all in the <0.05% ER range

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Subvisual Haze posted:

As long as you have a couple cheap index funds available whatever other fluff options are also available don't matter.

My own workplace has like 30 options through Fidelity, but I only use 4 index funds that are all in the <0.05% ER range

Same here. It’s a bummer though that of course it is setup where you can’t easily tell what the expense ratios are when picking which funds you want.

All the target date funds in my work 401k (managed by Fidelity) are 0.6% ish.

There are two each of small cap, large cap and international. The managed one is 0.6%. The index is 0.05%.

The expense ratios you can only see when clicking each individual mutual fund to see more info.

So yeah, a lot of people go “oh target date funds, that makes sense , it’ll do it for me” and end up accidentally paying more than needed with a higher expense ratio.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Based on my previous question about choosing my 401k funds, it seems like the best option available for me for my HSA is VFIAX. The Vanguard page for that fund says the minimum investment is $3000. Does this apply to me or is that the price minimum for “retail” investors? Just wondering cause IIRC the maximum HSA contribution for 2023 is $3800 and my HSA will only allow me to invest the excess of $1000. I started the job late this year so I won’t max out the HSA, but even if I could I’d still be short of the $3000 minimum.

E: Also, is the only way to get pre-taxed money from my payroll into an HSA is to use the HSA my company offers? Like if I opened an HSA with idk Fidelity for example, I’d only be able to put in post-tax money?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 7, 2023

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: Also, is the only way to get pre-taxed money from my payroll into an HSA is to use the HSA my company offers? Like if I opened an HSA with idk Fidelity for example, I’d only be able to put in post-tax money?
I believe so. Contributing to HSA directly from payroll lets you avoid Fed/State and SS/Medicare taxes on those contributions immediately. You are restricted to your workplace's chosen HSA provider though.

I'm pretty sure if you directly fund a different HSA with your own post-tax dollars, you would be able to claim those contributions as deductions from your end of year Federal and potentially State taxes. So you would get those taxes refunded, just with a delay until tax filing. The SS/Medicare taxes are lost though.

Bogleheads wiki does have this interesting note though:

quote:

You are able to move money between HSA custodians through direct rollovers and trustee to trustee transfers - see IRS Pub. 969 page 6. The rules are exactly the same as IRA Rollovers and Transfers. You may want to do this annually if you contribute to a plan through your employer's payroll deduction to gain the social security and medicare payroll tax exemption, but you don't want to leave the funds there long-term if the investment options are not good. The HSA custodian(s) may charge a fee for a trustee-to-trustee transfer; direct rollovers can usually be done without a fee.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Subvisual Haze posted:

Yeah I’ve done this, but be warned that the source company is incentivized to make the process as painful as possible. One pitfall to be aware of is that if you zero the account balance they might close the account which could cause problems the next time a payroll deduction contribution comes in.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I do a transfer from my employer HSA to Fidelity quarterly, initiating it on the Fidelity website. Fidelity just handles everything and a week or two later the funds are available to trade. The employer account charges a fee to do a full transfer and close the account so I leave $10 in there and they haven't charged me any fees. YMMV depending on the custodian though.

caluki
Nov 12, 2000

Lazy_Liberal posted:

it's a pain in the rear end dealing with checks and of course my old 401k sent two of them directly to my house. rip

Yeah unfortunately it looks like I have to deal with a check, which seems odd since both providers are huge (Fidelity->ADP). And I have to receive it directly and then mail it on...

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Subvisual Haze posted:

I believe so. Contributing to HSA directly from payroll lets you avoid Fed/State and SS/Medicare taxes on those contributions immediately. You are restricted to your workplace's chosen HSA provider though.

I'm pretty sure if you directly fund a different HSA with your own post-tax dollars, you would be able to claim those contributions as deductions from your end of year Federal and potentially State taxes. So you would get those taxes refunded, just with a delay until tax filing. The SS/Medicare taxes are lost though.

My work has it set up where I just give them the routing info for my personal HSA and they make the contributions directly. It works out great, they even make the contributions work out so it hits the limit at the end of the year.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Subvisual Haze posted:

The SS/Medicare taxes are lost though.

Don't you get something for those dollars though? So not entirely lost. Depending on inflection points or whatever

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The only reason I kinda considered opening my own HSA account is purely because the website for the account my employer opened is absolute dogshit. But I mean, I shouldn’t ever have to poke around it much so I guess it’s whatever and not worth the hassle. I’ll revisit this in the future if/when I change jobs and have another employer sponsored HSA account.

I’d still like the answer to this though:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Based on my previous question about choosing my 401k funds, it seems like the best option available for me for my HSA is VFIAX. The Vanguard page for that fund says the minimum investment is $3000. Does this apply to me or is that the price minimum for “retail” investors? Just wondering cause IIRC the maximum HSA contribution for 2023 is $3800 and my HSA will only allow me to invest the excess of $1000. I started the job late this year so I won’t max out the HSA, but even if I could I’d still be short of the $3000 minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

No one can tell you the answer to that, the answer to that is within your HSA and whatever they allow you to invest in. If they have VFIAX available and you can buy it, it doesn't matter what Vanguard's website says.