Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah and the car manufacturer can save $0.02 by removing the headlight control switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Looking for car shipment advice for some friends. They’re moving from Oakland to San Diego, and have a restored 1970 GTO she recently inherited from her father. They’re not terribly car savvy (initially she thought she would just rent a trailer and tow it herself with their Model Y…)

Fortunately it seems they’ve thought better of that and are looking for better options for shipping the car. They knew I’d had a car shipped across the country and asked me; I used Amerifreight and had no problems and it was affordable ($1300 for a much longer trip), but I figured I’d ask if anyone had particular advice for moving a significantly more special car than what I’d had shipped. I’d like to encourage them not to skimp here and do what they can to make sure it makes the trip unscathed: new employer down there is covering a pretty high number of dollars of moving costs and I imagine it’s likely that any extra money spent on the car shipping won’t come out of their pockets.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

help, i have a gorgeous old car and i need to get it through some of the most gorgeous scenery on earth, who can i pay to make this problem go away

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

help, i have a gorgeous old car and i need to get it through some of the most gorgeous scenery on earth, who can i pay to make this problem go away

They’ve got other cars and also a whole house load of poo poo to move also. They’re gonna either have to pay someone to ship one of the cars or fly back and make multiple trips. I’d certainly be tempted to drive it down myself if I were in their situation and take the scenic route, but even that would mean either one of them enjoys that solo, or they ship two cars, or they make two trips back, etc. IMO not an unreasonable ask.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Flights are like $40.
Ship the toaster oven, drive the GTO.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Steve French posted:

IMO not an unreasonable ask.

it's not unreasonable at all, i just thought it was funny

e: regardless of what they decide to do, drive it or ship it, i'd make REAL sure they've got the GTO insured properly. having bad stuff happen to a $40-100k family heirloom would be greatly eased by having someone else take care of the forty to hundred k part

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 3, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Twerk from Home posted:

Altima

Anyway, dude just kept on driving and never turned on his lights,

There's the problem.

But give the dude a break. Guy was probably too busy looking at his phone to bother noticing that his lights were off or all were just completely burnt out.

Late to headlight chat
I have opinions on this and get irrationally pissed when I see some oblivious fucker driving at night with no tail lights but regulators should have put a stop to that poo poo as soon as it started becoming widespread. They should also have made manufacturers implement a fix and recall every car that that would have affected. I'm not an electrical engineer but it seems like not making the dash lights come on when you take the car out of park or release the parking brake would be an easy fix.

I'm particularly mad at Toyota for that since my 15 year old Corolla has the full system cone on when the parking brake comes off if the light outside is below a certain level but apparently this is not so on subsequent generations

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A thing on both the mazda and toyota I got is that the dash lights up more strongly if you run with the half beams off. I dunno why that is. And when I say half beams "off" I mean as in the switch is in the off position, the lights still come on. Both front and rear.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

A thing on both the mazda and toyota I got is that the dash lights up more strongly if you run with the half beams off. I dunno why that is. And when I say half beams "off" I mean as in the switch is in the off position, the lights still come on. Both front and rear.

Because in the daytime the brighter lights aren't blinding and at nighttime you want them dimmer so it's not glaring light on your dash I expect.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

His Divine Shadow posted:

Depends on the model and how you have the dash dimmer set, I would think? Or maybe they just decided to sear your eyebulbs if you don't make a conscious decision to flip the switch, despite them always being on?

My SO insists on driving her Toyota with the cluster set to "sear thy retinas", so the only indication that the lights are on (vs DRL) is a green beam indicator on the dash - the DRLs are almost as bright as the regular headlights (it runs the low beams at slightly reduced power for DRLs). Conversely, the car itself, despite being a barebones 2005 with only one option (aircon, and I'm not even sure that was optional on US market models), has fully automatic lights and DRLs. The only way you can keep any lights from coming on is by keeping the parking brake set engaged slightly. You can't turn them off once they're on; you have to shut off the engine. The switch can turn on the lights during the day, but overall it's mainly there to keep the lights on without the engine running. We don't have any DRL requirements here either.

I'm not sure why Toyota did away with fully automatic lights on newer Corollas that have full time, full brightness low beams. I see so many driving with only the headlamps.. and a retina searing cluster. On higher end models with an auto position on the stalk I can kind of understand (I managed to drive my Lexus once with the switch set to off at sunset, with only DRLs leading the way, until someone flashed their lights at me :doh:), but there's no way to disable the auto lights on that generation Corolla. (... or take the odometer past 299,999...)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 4, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

randomidiot posted:

Depends on the model and how you have the dash dimmer set, I would think? Or maybe they just decided to sear your eyebulbs if you don't make a conscious decision to flip the switch, despite them always being on?

My SO insists on driving her Toyota with the cluster set to "sear thy retinas", so the only indication that the lights are on (vs DRL) is a green beam indicator on the dash - the DRLs are almost as bright as the regular headlights (it runs the low beams at slightly reduced power for DRLs). Conversely, the car itself, despite being a barebones 2005 with only one option (aircon, and I'm not even sure that was optional on US market models), has fully automatic lights and DRLs. The only way you can keep any lights from coming on is by keeping the parking brake set engaged slightly. You can't turn them off once they're on; you have to shut off the engine. The switch can turn on the lights during the day, but overall it's mainly there to keep the lights on without the engine running. We don't have any DRL requirements here either.

I'm not sure why Toyota did away with fully automatic lights on newer Corollas that have full time, full brightness low beams. I see so many driving with only the headlamps.. and a retina searing cluster. On higher end models with an auto position on the stalk I can kind of understand (I managed to drive my Lexus once with the switch set to off at sunset, with only DRLs leading the way, until someone flashed their lights at me :doh:), but there's no way to disable the auto lights on that generation Corolla. (... or take the odometer past 299,999...)

running your headlights during the day is “retina searing”?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

running your headlights during the day is “retina searing”?

Op is talking about the instruments not the headlights!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Op is talking about the instruments not the headlights!

that’s what I thought too, but then OP is like “I see so many people driving around with eye searing cluster” and I’m like “you can tell?”

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh you can tell, when there's a distinct blue glow in the cabin from the cluster it's definitely on the retina searing end of things.

Few people understand how night vision works.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Few people understand how loving headlights work, gently caress those people

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

randomidiot posted:

My SO insists on driving her Toyota with the cluster set to "sear thy retinas", so the only indication that the lights are on (vs DRL) is a green beam indicator on the dash - the DRLs are almost as bright as the regular headlights (it runs the low beams at slightly reduced power for DRLs).

The Vibe has the same cluster and I have no idea how she can drive like that at night. I occasionally bring the cluster up to full brightness if the lights come on during the day and it's a little dim, and if I forget to knock it back down before the next time I drive at night it nearly blinds me.

I do love the auto headlight functionality in this thing though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Steve French posted:

They’ve got other cars and also a whole house load of poo poo to move also. They’re gonna either have to pay someone to ship one of the cars or fly back and make multiple trips. I’d certainly be tempted to drive it down myself if I were in their situation and take the scenic route, but even that would mean either one of them enjoys that solo, or they ship two cars, or they make two trips back, etc. IMO not an unreasonable ask.

Car shippers have both covered and uncovered services and go everywhere. Probably $1k or less for covered, which is what they'd want.

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
This thread helped me out last year so im giving it another go.

Car is 1996 chevrolet blazer lt

REcently when i use the brakes it feels soft and a whooshing noise is heard, while braking the engine stumbles sometimes especially when im sitting on the brakes at like stoplights. Suspecting vacuum leak or bad brake booster? The booster looks to be old with rust and paint peeling? Does this sound right on potential problems or is there somethign else i should be looking at?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sounds like vacuum, yeah. You’re on the right track for sure, also check the master cylinder.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
I currently have a 1998 Toyota Camry on which I have Liability coverage (Bodily Injury Limits: $250k per person, $500k per accident, Property Damage Limit: $100k per accident) and Uninsured Motorist coverage with the same coverage limits.

I am renting a minivan for a week (from the website it will be a Chrysler Pacifica or similar) and it will be worth significantly more than the Camry. My understanding is that my insurance covers the car I am in, even if it is a rental car, but do I need to
1. Call my insurance company and try and get my coverage updated for the week, or
2. Purchase the Damage Waiver and/or Supplemental Liability Protection from Enterprise (the company I am renting from, https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/faqs/car-rental-insurance-us.html)?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jose Cuervo posted:

I currently have a 1998 Toyota Camry on which I have Liability coverage (Bodily Injury Limits: $250k per person, $500k per accident, Property Damage Limit: $100k per accident) and Uninsured Motorist coverage with the same coverage limits.

I am renting a minivan for a week (from the website it will be a Chrysler Pacifica or similar) and it will be worth significantly more than the Camry. My understanding is that my insurance covers the car I am in, even if it is a rental car, but do I need to
1. Call my insurance company and try and get my coverage updated for the week, or
2. Purchase the Damage Waiver and/or Supplemental Liability Protection from Enterprise (the company I am renting from, https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/faqs/car-rental-insurance-us.html)?

1. No, if you are sure your liability coverage transfers to the rental, this is typically the case with no action needed on your end.
2. This is optional if you want more coverage. For many people their auto insurance + credit card gives enough coverage, so they decline these options. However other folks don’t realize that so they purchase the options which might end up being redundant coverage.

If your understanding is you will be covered for damage you cause to the rental car through your personal auto insurance, that is not correct, since you do not have comprehensive on your personal you would need to purchase coverage through the rental carrier. If you want that coverage.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 5, 2023

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

Inner Light posted:

1. No, if you are sure your LIABILITY coverage transfers to the rental, this is typically the case with no action needed on your end. Non-liability (damage to the rental car itself) is typically not covered by your personal auto insurance.
2. This is optional if you want more coverage. For many people their auto insurance + credit card gives enough coverage, so they decline these options. However other folks don’t realize that so they purchase the options which might end up being redundant coverage.

As far as I can tell the credit card my wife used to rent the car does NOT provide any coverage.

So it sounds like I need to contact my insurance company and make sure my liability coverage transfers to the rental car. But you are saying that as far as liability goes, the limits would not need to be changed because the rental car is a more expensive car than the one I currently own, right?

If I do get into an accident, if I am at fault my insurance will cover the damages to the rental car, correct? And if the other person is at fault their insurance (or my uninsured coverage) will cover the damages to the rental car, correct?

But I might consider getting the Damage Waiver to cover (for instance) a rock being kicked up and damaging the windshield of the rental car because that would not be covered by my current insurance, right?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jose Cuervo posted:

If I do get into an accident, if I am at fault my insurance will cover the damages to the rental car, correct? And if the other person is at fault their insurance (or my uninsured coverage) will cover the damages to the rental car, correct?

But I might consider getting the Damage Waiver to cover (for instance) a rock being kicked up and damaging the windshield of the rental car because that would not be covered by my current insurance, right?

Your liability insurance will not cover damages to your own rental car, but your credit card will, up to a limit that may start to become an issue. It looks like the Amex Blue Cash Preferred that I have only covers rental cars up to $50k in damages, and higher trim Chrysler Pacificas are more than $50k now.

Get photos of the car from every angle at the time you pick it up, and close-up photos of any scratches or damages of any kind. I had a loving miserable experience with Avis when they recorded pre-existing damage to a car on the wrong side and then tried to go after me for it. The form I signed when picking up the car before I had seen the car said that it had damage to the driver's side rear door, the car actually had significant damage to the passenger side rear door and none to the driver's side and they claimed that I had caused it. Huge headache.

Edit: If your credit card doesn't cover rental cars, then you won't have coverage.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As a dirty foreigner, none of my insurance or cards covers rental vehicles so I have a lot of experience with this.

Generally all rentals that I've ever seen include liability coverage. So if you crash the rental into someone else, it'll pay for the damage to the other vehicle. If somehow your insurance transfers to the rental (big if) it'd do the same thing. But just call them to be sure.

In any case, you'll be on the hook for the damage to the rental vehicle. Most rentals also seem to include some collision insurance, which covers damage to the rental vehicle, but there's often a pretty high deductible, like $2000 or something. Which is pretty bad because on a modern car you could scrape the bumper and a light and be out of two grand. You can get supplemental insurance to get that to 0, so even if you total it, you pay nothing. The problem is that this is usually pretty expensive, like as much as the rental fee in the first place.

I generally don't get this and YOLO it instead, and despite sometimes returning with some minor damage (like a rock chip in Iceland) never had to pay anything. That said it's a risk you're taking on.

There are companies providing third-party insurance, I've tried https://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-hire-insurance.htm but (thankfully) don't know if they'll actually pay out or it's just a scam.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Not related to your question but 250/500 is a good amount of car insurance to have I very much wish I’d had that much underinsured motorist coverage in the crash I was in I only had 100/300.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Huh I think I have 10 million CHF cover and I think that's the minimum the companies are allowed to provide.

e: lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Huh I think I have 10 million CHF cover and I think that's the minimum the companies are allowed to provide.

e: lol

Legal minimums in Tennessee remain $15,000 property damage and $25,000 bodily injury to one person.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Legal minimums in Tennessee remain $15,000 property damage and $25,000 bodily injury to one person.

In PA it's $5k property and $15k bodily injury, it's a complete joke.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

opengl posted:

That's insane, you can do $5k in damage to a modern car with an empty shopping cart at 5mph.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

Inner Light posted:

If your understanding is you will be covered for damage you cause to the rental car through your personal auto insurance, that is not correct, since you do not have comprehensive on your personal you would need to purchase coverage through the rental carrier. If you want that coverage.

Twerk from Home posted:

Your liability insurance will not cover damages to your own rental car, but your credit card will, up to a limit that may start to become an issue. It looks like the Amex Blue Cash Preferred that I have only covers rental cars up to $50k in damages, and higher trim Chrysler Pacificas are more than $50k now.

Get photos of the car from every angle at the time you pick it up, and close-up photos of any scratches or damages of any kind. I had a loving miserable experience with Avis when they recorded pre-existing damage to a car on the wrong side and then tried to go after me for it. The form I signed when picking up the car before I had seen the car said that it had damage to the driver's side rear door, the car actually had significant damage to the passenger side rear door and none to the driver's side and they claimed that I had caused it. Huge headache.

Edit: If your credit card doesn't cover rental cars, then you won't have coverage.

mobby_6kl posted:

As a dirty foreigner, none of my insurance or cards covers rental vehicles so I have a lot of experience with this.

Generally all rentals that I've ever seen include liability coverage. So if you crash the rental into someone else, it'll pay for the damage to the other vehicle. If somehow your insurance transfers to the rental (big if) it'd do the same thing. But just call them to be sure.

In any case, you'll be on the hook for the damage to the rental vehicle. Most rentals also seem to include some collision insurance, which covers damage to the rental vehicle, but there's often a pretty high deductible, like $2000 or something. Which is pretty bad because on a modern car you could scrape the bumper and a light and be out of two grand. You can get supplemental insurance to get that to 0, so even if you total it, you pay nothing. The problem is that this is usually pretty expensive, like as much as the rental fee in the first place.

I generally don't get this and YOLO it instead, and despite sometimes returning with some minor damage (like a rock chip in Iceland) never had to pay anything. That said it's a risk you're taking on.

There are companies providing third-party insurance, I've tried https://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-hire-insurance.htm but (thankfully) don't know if they'll actually pay out or it's just a scam.

OK, it sounds like I need to get some form of coverage in case I am at fault for an accident with another car, or if the windshield is hit by a rock or I hit a deer. Thanks for the help.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

opengl posted:

That’s because they haven’t updated the state minimums since I started working in insurance claims.
In 1985

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

That’s because they haven’t updated the state minimums since I started working in insurance claims.
In 1985

Jurassic Dork

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jose Cuervo posted:

OK, it sounds like I need to get some form of coverage in case I am at fault for an accident with another car, or if the windshield is hit by a rock or I hit a deer. Thanks for the help.

Some of those are more likely than others over a several day time period depending on activities, and you may or may not assign $x value to that vs. self insuring. I personally might opt to be a cheapskate for the dirty thrill of risk taking, if the cost for coverage is as much as the rental itself or near it. But maybe not in deep deer country, that’s a pretty good point.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure most states havent updated minimums in forever. even in california it's 15k/30k and has been for decades

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cross-posting from the Subaru thread because I am stumped.

Part II of the neighbor's daughter's Forester from hell:

'09 Forester, 2.5, no turbo, not a CA car (we're in New Jersey).

It ran like crap when she bought it because it had 160K on it (the timing belt was done by the PO, who was the only owner) and it seems as though it had never had the plugs or wires replaced. I replaced them with NGKs; the wires were also replaced with NGKs.

The car ran great after that...until the boots started popping out.

I assured her that this was probably more maintenance debt. Cue a 10-day journey through hell removing the valve covers (upthread)...also damaged the injectors and the fuel rail.

BUT I got the gaskets replaced. The plug galley seals were hard as rocks. I cleaned out the tubes, but they weren't bad. Surprisingly little oil. The new plugs were torqued to spec as I am paranoid about aluminum heads.

So, imagine my surprise when I finally got a fuel rail & buttoned it all up today...and it's still popping the boots off - but so far, only on the driver's side. I checked, and the galley seals are all in place, so I didn't screw that up.

After extensive research, I smeared the boot internal ends with dielectric grease because the boots weren't able to be pushed all the way in. Eventually got all 4 to *snap* on, and sit tight...but the driver's side ones are still under pressure:

https://i.imgur.com/Zl1FPz1.mp4
(has sound)

and that's at idle!

The #2 will >pop< like a cork from a wine bottle, if I pull it free. The #4 will keep pushing itself out until it misfires.

Numbers 1&3 are holding tight on the passenger side, so far.

My options seem to be:

- Drive a turkey basting syringe needle through the boot to create a Farmer Bob pressure relief;
- Buy Subaru factory plug wires and hope that they grab the plug terminal a lot tighter.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 6, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Can you push the wires into the boot a little further?

urzaserra256 posted:

REcently when i use the brakes it feels soft and a whooshing noise is heard, while braking the engine stumbles sometimes especially when im sitting on the brakes at like stoplights.

Definitely the brake booster.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

george washington or some poo poo :911: posted:

Making people carry more insurance is communism.

If THE PEOPLE want more than the minimum they will opt for it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm slapping a hitch on my Vibe to drag my bike to track days.

Working on finding as light a trailer as possible, ideally no more than 200-300lbs.

Current track bike is around 350lbs.

It's an auto. Adding a trans cooler- necessary for this little weight for infrequent towing?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
1997 Nissan D21 (Hardbody) 4x4 with the sickly KA24E and 5-speed manual. The truck has a little oomph from 2k-3k RPM then kinda falls flat on its face until 3,500 RPM, and really struggles to build revs beyond that. I did a vacuum check on the manifold to see if the exhaust is choked up at the cat or muffler, but it's oddly perfectly fine.

Reading the Nissan D21 forums (dear mother of God I don't suggest that to anyone) most are saying to just do some regular maintenance on it, replacing spark plugs, cap and rotor, fuel filter, clean the injectors, etc. I'm going to do that, but I wanted to know if anyone else had any other ideas. Injectors and spark issues would make sense if the motor had hard starts or ran like garbage, but it actually starts within a second of cranking and idles just fine. Then at higher RPM it's relatively smooth, just gutless as hell. Air filter looks brand new as well, so I'm sort of stumped.

Also, going to borrow a fuel pressure gauge and see what's up with the fuel pump - again, I would expect some pinging and lean running symptoms if the fuel pump was crapping out at higher RPMs, but the motor seems to be running okay and not throwing any CELs. Unless the CEL was unplugged by the PO, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

opengl posted:

I'm slapping a hitch on my Vibe to drag my bike to track days.

Working on finding as light a trailer as possible, ideally no more than 200-300lbs.

Current track bike is around 350lbs.

It's an auto. Adding a trans cooler- necessary for this little weight for infrequent towing?

It’s all guesswork right, since the Vibe has no factory tow capability? I would say trans cooler not needed unless you’re really hauling rear end, 500 lbs is two quite large passengers?