Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I love him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Randy McStine attended camp and Sean Lennon showed up at the post-camp concert. :2monocle:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Steven Wilson gearing up for the new album release at the end of the month. Pretty epic, a lot like the early Porcupine Tree stuff when it was just him pretending to be a lost 70s prog band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbGkZ31Fmp8

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jedit posted:

Steven Wilson gearing up for the new album release at the end of the month. Pretty epic, a lot like the early Porcupine Tree stuff when it was just him pretending to be a lost 70s prog band.

yesssssss shoot this poo poo straight into my veins

pop-rock SW is fun but i miss proggy SW so much

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

After the somewhat middling first single I am now fucken hype as hell for this album

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jedit posted:

Oh hell yeah, this is wonderful

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tote up a bags posted:

After the somewhat middling first single I am now fucken hype as hell for this album

I don't want to rag on him trying new things but there was an interview a while back where he was like "I'm thinking the next album might not have guitars at all" and I really don't want an entire album of Walk the Plank, I got enough of that with Radiohead tyvm

So I'm really glad for this new single especially after the first one

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I guess this is the best thread for Kayo Dot. They're doing two Choirs of the Eye 20th anniversary shows this weekend and I am loving hype. Their output has varied in quality a ton but Choirs holds up, tremendous album and probably the high point of Toby Driver's music. Going to be wild to see live with most of the original lineup.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Another cut from The Harmony Codex. It's not strictly prog, but it's pretty decent. Apparently it was written in a way that while it's principally a duet, either artist can perform it solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRaspkaqR8o

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Had a blast at Big Big Train's gig at Cadogan Hall tonight. The new members have really bedded in and the band was on form. Really loved Maria Barbieri on guitar, who rocked, and Clare Lindley on violin, who played fantastically and had a lovely singing voice in some of the harmony sections. Alberto Bravin doesn't equal the sadly departed David Longdon as a singer, but Longdon was special in my opinion, and Bravin does a creditable job, though he has to replicate Longdon's flute parts on his keyboard. I saw them about a year ago, and he feels like he's gained in confidence, both in stage presence and audience interaction.

It's great to see the band finding their feet again after Covid and some of the departures that resulted from that, as well as Longdon's tragic death.

I didn't see 'em, but apparently spotted at the gig were Steve Hackett, as well as Pete Trewavas and Ian Mosely from Marillion.

Prog demographic stuff (at least in the UK) that made us smile:

Before going in, my wife and I were sitting outside a nearby bar indulging in some people watching, including spotting the people going to the gig; it wasn't hard, basically all the middle-aged white guys in t-shirts. I'm in my early 40s and my wife late 30s; with about 1 or 2 exceptions, we were the youngest people we could see.

At the end of the main section there was a predictable (and deserved) standing ovation. When the band came back out again for the encore, Bravin remarked that we had all sat back down. One guy shouted out "we're old!". Rather tickled me.

Also it's notable at prog gigs, compared to almost any other event, how the queue for the men's toilets is far more pronounced than the one for the women's. :v:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
An Evening with Haken tour coming to NA Feb/March 2024. One set Fauna, one set of other selections from their works. Finally a US gig worth driving the 3 hours for!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Probably the last fresh cut from Harmony Codex before it releases next Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCrACQP4AtI

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I didn't enjoy Harmony Codex. I forced myself to listen all the way through and thought it was pretty bland. I did like the guitar solo in the last song.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 2, 2023

Countzer
May 27, 2022
I enjoyed it well enough, though I think it's a "vibe" album. You need to be in the headspace to jive with it or it will likely fall flat. Only song that felt out of place was Actual Brutal Facts, personal highlight would be Beautiful Scarecrow

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Steven Wilson just isn't good enough at vibes to pull that off. His skill is in taking off-the-wall art-rock tropes and making their excesses accessible. I thought half the album was excellent, but the other half felt like B-sides from Storm Corrosion and The Incident.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've been on a classic prog rock buying kick and came across a band called Aardvark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1rXQuPx3wc

This overdriven organ riff is one of the coolest loving sounds I've ever heard. The rest of the album doesn't live up to it but... I wanted to share this somewhere and this seemed like the only place that'd appreciate it.

Some others I'd shout out: Jane (self-titled album), Nektar, and Fruupp

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Harmony Codex is his weakest thus far. "Impossible Tightrope" and "Staircase" were the only two things I could really latch onto.

Shame this experiment came out so bland being I actually really enjoyed The Future Bites.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've been on a classic prog rock buying kick and came across a band called Aardvark:

This overdriven organ riff is one of the coolest loving sounds I've ever heard. The rest of the album doesn't live up to it but... I wanted to share this somewhere and this seemed like the only place that'd appreciate it.

This rips.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Future Bites had a couple bangers but overall didn't really do it for me.

Also I dunno if it's satire or self-mockery or what but that stupid monologue interlude in Personal Shopper uuuuuggh

The live session videos for that album are great though, always love hearing Voyage 34 and Drown With Me

e: The Raven That Refused To Sing is his magnum opus and as much as I do like the rest of his solo work, nothing else comes close

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Insurgentes is the only solo Steven Wilson album I enjoy listening to start to finish. Raven has some great stuff on it but everything since has been boring in my opinion

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Had a blast at Big Big Train's gig at Cadogan Hall tonight.

Is Dave Gregory still in the band?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Anybody going to see TMV at Red Rocks?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Noise Machine posted:

Is Dave Gregory still in the band?

He did some session work with them this year I believe but he's no longer a regular, no.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Heath posted:

Ugh god that sounds ascendant.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

This sounds like something that would have been a banger track on the original Doom soundtrack.

Heath posted:

No, but I saw them in Baltimore a few weeks ago (second time seeing since the reunion). They definitely still got it and put on an awesome show, but they removed Eriatarka from the setlist and boooo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Ugh god that sounds ascendant.

It is

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

You know what actually kicks rear end for this kind of slammin' organ?

Resonance of Fate's soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJXLN_6jtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9jZmPUFOLk

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

If you wanted one and missed out, the official Steven Wilson website store has a few of the 3 disc boxset again.

https://store.stevenwilsonhq.com/product/120567

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Listened to Lightbulb Sun for the 1st time all the way through yesterday.

Brit-pop adjacent PT isn't exactly my favorite, but it's WONDERFUL Sunday afternoon drive music.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I got into Porcupine Tree after hearing Four Chords, which is hilarious considering how much Wilson dislikes it.

On a related note: there's a 5CD box set of the first two No-Man albums up for pre-order. The second album would be of particular interest as it's practically a prototype for later PT albums - Richard Barbieri, Colin Unwin and Chris Maitland all appear on it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jedit posted:

I got into Porcupine Tree after hearing Four Chords, which is hilarious considering how much Wilson dislikes it.

On a related note: there's a 5CD box set of the first two No-Man albums up for pre-order. The second album would be of particular interest as it's practically a prototype for later PT albums - Richard Barbieri, Colin Unwin and Chris Maitland all appear on it.

That transition from Shesmovedon to Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lmao, what a dramatic turn of events...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lmaooo what

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A funny bit would be having him only contribute lyrics and vocals.

Barkhawk
Dec 23, 2006

A dramatic return of events: A dramatic turn of events part 2: how the turntables have turned

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Henchman of Santa posted:

A funny bit would be having him only contribute lyrics and vocals.

Nope. Mangini's gone:

https://twitter.com/JPetrucci/status/1717195298538246237

gently caress me I'm actually excited for a DT album again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Portnoy's been in so many things since his departure, I don't know if he's still got that Dream Theater spark in him. It's definitely going to be an interesting album, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Paladinus posted:

It's definitely going to be an interesting album, though.

Is it, though?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BigFactory posted:

Is it, though?

The band will probably feel bad about trying to reign in any creative input from Portnoy, so I expect it to be interesting but not necessarily good.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Paladinus posted:

I expect it to be interesting but not necessarily good.
this would be a big step up from their last decade and a half of material, which is neither good nor interesting

something that occurred to me the other day is how Dream Theater were lambasted into the mid-2000s for their music just being pastiches of recent bands, while the problem is really that their fanbase was too young to recognize the previous decade of pastiches of stuff that came out before they got into Dream Theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Metropolis part 3, when?