Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We cruised on the Wish in April, and yeah, I thought World of Marvel was garbage. Story makes no sense, terrible character interaction, etc. I wish they would have gone with Coco/Moana/1923 for the three rotational dinner venues. I also very much wish they could have done something to address the adult "pool" section, but I get that that's impractical at this point.

Gonna cruise on the Fantasy to see what the others are like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, World of Marvel is unbelievably bad especially when I think of how great Animators Palate is. Crush calling me out on the spot to tell my wife "I love you" in whale is seared into my head. It's just such a fun and simple theming concept that pays off very well.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

barclayed posted:

Went to the Moana cast preview today. I think it fits perfectly with EPCOT’s theme of environmental sustainability

All they did was put some signs up that talk about it. It is otherwise just an IP attraction meant to further the synergy between the parks and the Disney brand, something the parks were not meant to be and weren't for most of their existence. The signs are only there so they can technically justify putting it in Epcot, just like how Guardians only "fits" with Epcot because they kind of, sort of, made the queue like an Epcot pavilion.

Moana: Journey of Water exists so people take pictures and selfies with Te Fiti and post them to social media, which generates more interest and profit for the Moana IP.

Uh, I mean, I'm glad you enjoyed it and all...

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 6, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also didn’t want Jews to go. It’s fine.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

All they did was put some signs up that talk about it. It is otherwise just an IP attraction meant to further the synergy between the parks and the Disney brand, something the parks were not meant to be and weren't for most of their existence.
?????

Of the 9 attractions open on July 17th, 1955, 5 were IP rides. 7, if you count the Mark Twain and the Storybook Land Canal Boats.

Aphrodite posted:

Goddammit that's such an obnoxious zombie lie. Walt Disney wasn't remotely anti-semitic. If anything, by the standards of his day, he was more tolerant than average. Bust the dude for his many real flaws, there's no need to keep making that one up.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 6, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Well no, Walt Disney died before ground broke for WDW.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dude literally founded the MPA.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ip attractions own

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

?????

Of the 9 attractions open on July 17th, 1955, 5 were IP rides. 7, if you count the Mark Twain and the Storybook Land Canal Boats.

For Disneyland and Magic Kingdom there was always a pretty equal balance of IP and non IP, and the IP they put in fit appropriately with the park and lands it was put in. Epcot originally had no IP. The myth that Disney has perpetuated that the park wasn't popular or successful without Disney IP in it is false - Epcot has never had an attendance problem. Today, they just slap IP and only IP wherever, and make superficial surface level attempts to make it fit like putting up signs about water conservation in the pretty splash pad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They should call it Moana: Journey of Water Presented by Nestle. It'll fit right in the original Epcot vision then.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

They should call it Moana: Journey of Water Presented by Nestle. It'll fit right in the original Epcot vision then.

The attraction that Nestle sponsored (The Land pavilion) wasn't about Nestle or their products though. None of the OG Epcot sponsored pavilions were about how great the company is (outside of CommuniCore/Innoventions), and rather were sometimes just a sponsor (rides outside of Epcot used to often be sponsored too), or "we're a company adjacent to the topic of this ride". Like, AT&T sponsored Spaceship Earth when it was about communication specifically, but the ride wasn't about how great AT&T is.

This, however, is using the pretense of "water conservation" to place a pretty Moana advertisement in Epcot.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 6, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The implication was that the original corporate sponsored Epcot was trashy, and that this is better actually.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

The implication was that the original corporate sponsored Epcot was trashy, and that this is better actually.

Tell me you never saw OG Epcot without telling me.

I know dwelling on its loss is a waste of time, but c'monnn.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I do love the Epcot purity arguments whenever they come up. They are just a loving blast.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Feels real weird to argue about the commercialization of walt disney world.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don’t like attractions sponsored by other companies, just because it’s asking for eventual trouble when the sponsor stops wanting to write checks. That poo poo flew when Walt was scraping up every dollar to open an unproven amusement park concept, but you’re a $148 billion company now, Disney. Pay for your own poo poo.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Bottom Liner posted:

don’t feel like arguing, this is basically what i think.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
had the ribs at Morimoto’s tonight. gently caress they were good.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Jose Oquendo posted:

had the ribs at Morimoto’s tonight. gently caress they were good.

Too sweet for me, but that’s my problem. My wife loves them.

I’m all about the shumai and fried rice. 🤤

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeaahh but the thing is, it felt a lot less corporate when they weren't shoving characters and branding at you at every single step. They viewed it as a place that could stand on its own merits instead of something that exists only to strengthen the synergy of the brand between all the divisions. This is how it was until at least the late 00's. They've just done a very good job at making everyone forget that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Riding the movies kicks rear end

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Riding the movies kicks rear end

It does, when it's implemented correctly and done well. Not "here's The Incredibles slapped on a classic looking roller coaster" or whatever they were thinking with Spider-Man: Webslingers rider.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Not "here's The Incredibles slapped on a classic looking roller coaster"
okay but at the end there's a jack jack that's real big. did you consider that at all

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeaahh but the thing is, it felt a lot less corporate when they weren't shoving characters and branding at you at every single step.
Counterpoint:

That's Sleeping Beauty's castle. Not Snow White's. Not Cinderella's. Because their movies had already come out. Sleeping Beauty was in production when Disneyland opened, and Walt Disney wanted people to go see it. Literally the first thing you see when you enter the park is cross-promotional branding designed to get you into a movie theater.

quote:

They viewed it as a place that could stand on its own merits instead of something that exists only to strengthen the synergy of the brand between all the divisions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_1xsPytKJw

quote:

This is how it was until at least the late 00's. They've just done a very good job at making everyone forget that.

This is a nice thread and I don't want to be mean to anybody, but dude, c'mon.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I never said that the parks were mostly devoid of IP, obviously it's always been a major component. But until the last ~ten years or so they had a balance. Many, if not the slight majority of the classic E-ticket attractions at WDW were not IP based, for instance. I hate that this goes in circles. "There's too much IP now" --> "There's always been IP! Look at these cherry-picked examples!" --> "Yes, but it wasn't ALL IP.", etc.

I also don't really understand demanding only IP when so many of the classic attractions everyone loves were not IP. Or the argument that kids won't enjoy original attractions or IP they aren't familiar with. Kids have no clue what The Twilight Zone is, but they love Tower of Terror. A good ride is a good ride and kids will always like a good ride.

If Pirates of the Caribbean, the rides, debuted today (meaning the films were never made), would the Disney Adults bitch about it being an unfamiliar story?

To put it another way, before there was a greater emphasis on "something for everyone." If you wanted your WDW vacation to be largely devoid of Disney brand-centric experiences, it could be that. If you wanted a mix, you could do that. If wanted your huge fix of Disney things, you could. But increasingly they are only targeting people who want the latter.

Sivart13 posted:

okay but at the end there's a jack jack that's real big. did you consider that at all

Ehh. I want Neil Patrick Harris announcing the launches back.

Anyways, sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with negativity. The Moana thing's probably fine... but should really have gone in Adventureland or DAK. Especially considering DAK's probably gonna get it's own Moana area too anyway. (sigh...)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nanigans posted:

Too sweet for me, but that’s my problem. My wife loves them.

I’m all about the shumai and fried rice. 🤤

I had those too my friend

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Jose Oquendo posted:

I had those too my friend

:hellyeah:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
CNBC just released a huge article on the Iger/Chapek era.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/06/disney-succession-mess-iger-chapek.html

Zero One fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 6, 2023

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I literally was so confused why there wasn’t more IP during my first WDW. And why nothing was really a recent movie.

Bring it all to me. Let me love it all.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm just bummed Dinosaur is almost definitely going away

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
After actually watching the Treasure reveal, a few thoughts...

- I appreciate they held back some announcements because it's roughly 16-months before this thing sails. I was actually surprised they dropped as many hints and reveals as they did.

- I downloaded a hi-res scan of the map that was sent to media, and there's certainly a few clues on there that weren't addressed. Notably, the cricket from Mulan is on there, but no mention Mulan. There's also an X-Wing hidden in there, but my guess is that it's a reference to the Oceaneer's Club since that was called out specifically in the video.

- One thing that isn't on the map anywhere is Haunted Mansion. The Hitchhiking Ghosts were seen on the promo video (D23?), but nowhere on the map. I don't think this map is gospel or anything, but it is interesting there's no reference to it. I still suspect the Hyperspace Lounge area is going to be HM themed this time.

- Other interesting inclusion on the map, Olaf and Frozen. But where? I don't even have a good guess on that one.

- I think I already love the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea bar. That looks awesome. I was also very excited about the Coco restaurant.

- On top of being disappointing to hear, the video confused me on World of Marvel. For one, they made it sound like it's just going to be a clone of the Wish. But at the very end, they make an off-hand reference to not revealing more about the show... so is it going to be new or not? I hope they change it because it's so drat loud in there while the video plays, only to have a "show" that isn't entertaining or especially engaging. Plus, Spider-Man appears, so I hope that wasn't just a fun "because we had the costume handy" throw-in, and he's actually the star of this version. Or literally any other Avenger besides Ant-Man/Wasp.

- Based on the map, video and what's already on the Wish, I'm assuming Pixar will mostly be adorning play areas for kids and the sports area again.

- Glad Beauty and the Beast is one of the stage shows, but I'm really anxious to hear what new show(s) will be introduced.

- All the spa stuff appears to be staying the same. No surprises there.

- I also assumed from the shots they went with in the video that it was an indication the pool decks, including Quiet Cove, won't be changing. Which is a real bummer on Quiet Cove because of how cramped and unaccommodating it is on the Wish.

- I was underwhelmed with the atrium (grand ballroom? whatever it's called) on the Wish because it looks very plastic. However, the richer, darker color pallette they're using this time seems like it'll go a long way to making the atrium space feel more timeless and similar to the older ships.

- I didn't understand why they chose to theme a cruise suite to an entire theme park, but those Epcot funnel suite renderings look really cool. Too bad I will literally never be able to afford that thing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm just bummed Dinosaur is almost definitely going away

I would say they had better use the AAs to upgrade Primeval World at DL. But they didn't with UoE either so I doubt it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Anya posted:

I literally was so confused why there wasn’t more IP during my first WDW. And why nothing was really a recent movie.

When was your first visit? Mine was 1994, so pretty much the tail end of OG Epcot.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tron Light cycle is fuckin dope. Had to do it twice in one day I loved it so much.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I still have to ride that at night, but because of the crowds for the fireworks, we usually leave MK pretty early and parkhop anywhere else.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nanigans posted:

I still have to ride that at night, but because of the crowds for the fireworks, we usually leave MK pretty early and parkhop anywhere else.

I’m doing the the Halloween party next week and I’m planning on doing the VQ for Tron.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

When was your first visit? Mine was 1994, so pretty much the tail end of OG Epcot.

The first entire visit I can remember really clearly was cake castle at wdw and there was plenty of IP then.

If my dog (not the service dog, one of the livestock guardian dogs) comes through surgery safely and isn't full of cancer and heals up, I'm considering running down to MNSSHP. At best I'm looking at what, 82F for a low even if I go last weekend of October?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm a little late for the Epcot purity conversation but I'm still not passing up an excuse to post the Epcot Opening Special being riffed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz09MZY5UcE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only non ip Disney ride I like is space mountain. Everything else i just don’t get.

But I’ve always been a universal guy