Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty sure that was all a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
I mean, it's Dave "I Have a Comedy Special Named After My Belligerent Personality and Will Never Fix My Audio Levels" Anthony responding to a troll mocking his voice.

C'mon, dudes, two and two here.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Ah welp guess it was too early in the morning for me to catch that Dave was doing a bit.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
drat, I really thought he stored water in his brain like a camel :(

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
This is a couple steps removed from The Dollop, but I started listening to The Movies That Made Me with Josh Olson (and Joe Dante). I've only gotten through the first few episodes (The Dollop guys are on in a few more), but it's a neat concept - get movie people to talk about movies that inspired them, not movies they've made. Josh mentions how he wants to get Bobcat Goldthwait in the Dana Gould episode and Dana goes "oh, I can hook you up, I know Bob very well." Two episodes later, the guest is Bobcat Goldthwait.

I also burned through the Audit recently, and I wish there was more of that, and more Wyatt Cenac. He's a good third wheel to Josh and Dave.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/brandonperna/status/1691164840210108418?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

J-Town is the best too-long-running bit they’ve had in a hot minute

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

J-Town is the best too-long-running bit they’ve had in a hot minute
It really is

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The sub plot of this episode with dude falling asleep in the front row is loving hilarious

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Thomas H Jones episode is really good. I had not heard that story before but I've heard of similar stories where slaves just had to deal with so much unimaginable horror.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Thomas H Jones episode is really good. I had not heard that story before but I've heard of similar stories where slaves just had to deal with so much unimaginable horror.

It was one of the “hey this history is really good” episodes and definitely not one of the “this is hilarious” episodes.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really enjoyed (in a history lesson way because it was also horrific) this episode, I had heard of Thomas before but didn't know a lot about him besides that he made reading his #1 goal in spite of his own very real chance of dying due to it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SalTheBard posted:

The sub plot of this episode with dude falling asleep in the front row is loving hilarious

no idea how you fall asleep with dave screaming like that lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mr E posted:

I really enjoyed (in a history lesson way because it was also horrific) this episode, I had heard of Thomas before but didn't know a lot about him besides that he made reading his #1 goal in spite of his own very real chance of dying due to it.
The fact that he dared his crazed owner to kill him for wanting to go pray was certainly something else. The guy had balls the size of Earth itself.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

FlamingLiberal posted:

The fact that he dared his crazed owner to kill him for wanting to go pray was certainly something else. The guy had balls the size of Earth itself.

I think his life was just so goddamn terrible that death wasn’t that much of a threat. Particularly if he was swept up in that converted Christian “I’m going to heaven after this and all my worries will be over” bliss.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I think his life was just so goddamn terrible that death wasn’t that much of a threat. Particularly if he was swept up in that converted Christian “I’m going to heaven after this and all my worries will be over” bliss.
It sure sounds like it was, yeah

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

that one was good, but the william clark one was very boring

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that one was good, but the william clark one was very boring

I see the snorer has outed themselves.

I don't know if it's that they're delving into more and more obscure topics or Dave has just gotten worse, but I find it really hard to concentrate on episodes. I listen to a lot of "explain a thing" type podcasts and most of them are extremely easy to pause partway through and pickup, or begin at another part if they're multiple episodes, but I can completely lose the plot of a Dollop 15 minutes in and spend 10 minutes trying to figure out who the characters are and what they're doing. I'm mostly only listening to the live episodes at this point because I figure they have to choose a subject that's particularly interesting, but even then it's not all hits. Once the William Clark episode revealed that it was going to be about this guy becoming a congressperson by hook or by crook it was pretty good.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Rochallor posted:

I don't know if it's that they're delving into more and more obscure topics or Dave has just gotten worse, but I find it really hard to concentrate on episodes. I listen to a lot of "explain a thing" type podcasts and most of them are extremely easy to pause partway through and pickup, or begin at another part if they're multiple episodes, but I can completely lose the plot of a Dollop 15 minutes in and spend 10 minutes trying to figure out who the characters are and what they're doing. I'm mostly only listening to the live episodes at this point because I figure they have to choose a subject that's particularly interesting, but even then it's not all hits. Once the William Clark episode revealed that it was going to be about this guy becoming a congressperson by hook or by crook it was pretty good.

i actually nodded off at a live show of theirs because i was too drunk once.

but yeah, i've had the same issue, where i'll get lost 15 mins in. if that happens, i just consider the ep a loss and skip it. plenty of other podcasts to listen to in the meanwhile.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rochallor posted:

Any time I lose the plot it's because Gareth has gone whole hog on a bit that is, at best, tangentially related to the actual story.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Rochallor posted:

I’m leaning toward it being the topics that get chosen because it really hasn’t been a problem for me on more interesting ones.

I will say I think the vibe is different (worse) on live shows, and while there are good and even great live shows overall I like normal ones more.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
There are also a lot of "filler" episodes that don't have as much of a hook as the standouts, especially in the last few years. The show's been around for quite a while at this point, and it's probably getting harder to find stories that are interesting enough to fill a whole episode, and light enough to make jokes without it being weird - in episodes like Enron, Wells Fargo, or the Iraq War, Gareth's contribution is a lot of "what the gently caress? how do they keep getting away with this poo poo." (they do also preface some of those by saying "hey, this probably won't be very funny").

I think that the live episodes tend to be a bit more fun/interesting (notable exception: Macquarrie Island), because they want to keep the crowd interested (though the last live ep proved that isn't always the case). I like live episodes with a guest more than without. It is a different energy, but I don't think it's worse. Just different.

Reverse Dollops (or Pollods, as they're known) have mostly been good, but I want another "guest reads a story to Dave and Gareth" episode like Ari Shaffir did with the history of Levis. Patton Oswalt would be an obvious choice, and he's probably got some obscure political poo poo that Dave would love to dig into. I also think Josh Olson (Dave's cohost for West Wing Thing and The Audit) would be good - he gets along with both of them (though he and Gareth have one big issue), and I bet he could find a good Old Hollywood story to do.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 2, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I want Mike Duncan to come on the show and tell weird history stories to them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Dollop: Revolutions?!?!?! :getin:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
This oyster episode is some good dollop

Never had one nor do I ever want to. Disgusting

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’ve got podcast dread from how Dave told Gareth that they haven’t seen oyster mania yet, combined with the fact that we got the nutshell history of a relatively prosperous settlement of Black people on Staten Island, whose white neighbors are more or less fine with them and then jumped away.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Digital Jedi posted:

This oyster episode is some good dollop

Never had one nor do I ever want to. Disgusting

Went to an oyster bar once with some friends, and have had no desire to have any since.

Really good episode, and also incredibly depressing

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oysters are what happens when you snort a tablespoon of salt then hock a loogie.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

There’s a place in the touristy area of a harbor town close-ish to me, and their fried oysters are really good. I get ‘em in a plate which is fish and chips with fried oysters, there’s two really big ones plus the regular seafood-shack fare and that’s as much as I’ll ever need.

Raw loving oysters, what the gently caress.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
a friend used to steam oysters every year for her birthday, we would stand around an outside table covered in steaming oysters with our oyster knives literally shucking and jiving. oysters rule

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Steamed vs raw is the big difference

Cooking clams, littlenecks, steamers, oysters, sure

Raw….. ehhhh

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Steamed vs raw is the big difference

Cooking clams, littlenecks, steamers, oysters, sure

Raw….. ehhhh

i guess my main point of comparison is that, like the raw oysters in the episode, our steamed oysters were giant clusters of shell and stone taken directly from the marsh by our own hands and steamed in that state. so i have a really good mental image of the dutch and the natives standing around a giant pile of oysters, stabbing at each other with their oyster knives between shucks

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Raw oysters are hella nice y'all. Most are meticulously farmed these days which works for all seasons, but even wild ones are good in the winter if the water is nice.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
My brother's friend owns an oyster farm, he'd usually have a bunch whenever I went to his place. I love those slimy fucks

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 7, 2023

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
the easiest way to get information out of me would be to threaten to force me to eat raw oysters, I'll tell you loving anything man just don't do it please god

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh boy

https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/1702341603040661649?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Oh man, my wife and I were speculating on what 600 was going to be about.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mental organism designed only for bad tweets

MODOBT

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the oyster two-parter owned

ever since moving to NYC a decade ago i have never understood the concept of "oyster bars" (I have a ton of vegetarian friends who react basically like Gareth did, so i've never actually been to one). i've had oysters a couple times and thought they were a strange novelty that only made sense in the context of spending way too much money on very fancy, but not very good, food. the idea of people going for dollar oysters at happy hour always baffled me

after listening to the history of oysters in this city... gently caress, man, i am honestly still no closer to understanding any of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

1) lmao that’s going to be great

2) deeply relieved to have finished Oysters without having revisited that Staten Island community for an oyster-related race riot