Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

Good work OP on the bike and wearing all that stuff.

I never wear elbow protection in any sport and mostly I get the most poo poo about it in Hockey. I haven't had a brutal elbow injury yet!

Thank you, and happy trails! I also copped a gopro and will probably be returning but before then I will take some vids of me doing bad runs down some trails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

n8r posted:

I have used a shockwiz to tune both my dvo onyx fork and fox factory 36. Having a really hard time distinguishing the forks. The fox feels a bit better on braking bumps and small repeated hits. The dvo feels a bit better in the middle of the travel. The plan is to unload the 36. Anyone interested in a goon price of $425? It’s a ‘22 model with half a seasons worth of riding.

What color/got any pics? any interest in trading for an xbox series X?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
They also made a bit much of this drop

It is kindof just big enough that you have to pull up a little to not hit the bottom bracket.

But boy howdy am I out of shape. going uphill im stopping to huff and puff on the regular

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
....are your brakes pointed straight down?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

That's his truth

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

All cops are good.

(Except the falls. And the police.)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ought ten posted:

All cops are good.

(Except the falls. And the police.)

I developed a tick reading those posts.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Not quite op that’s a bit of an illusion though perhaps they could stand to be more up

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Welp, in the time I’ve been probed the freshly copped Ripmo AF came in from Jenson.

Highly recommend using a rear fender / mud guard on this bike. Occasionally your rear tire is going to toss a rock into the upper link, and occasionally that rock is going wedge between the link and the frame as the suspension compresses. I have a few paint chips in that area on my Ripley AF. Will help keep some of the dirt out of the bearings in the upper link, as well.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

afflictionwisp posted:

Highly recommend using a rear fender / mud guard on this bike. Occasionally your rear tire is going to toss a rock into the upper link, and occasionally that rock is going wedge between the link and the frame as the suspension compresses. I have a few paint chips in that area on my Ripley AF. Will help keep some of the dirt out of the bearings in the upper link, as well.

Cheers. They have apparently added a little rubber flap on this version not sure if it was there previously. I don’t much like the look of mudguards which would you recommend?

MuadDib Atreides fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 31, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

VelociBacon posted:

Good work OP on the bike and wearing all that stuff.

I never wear elbow protection in any sport and mostly I get the most poo poo about it in Hockey. I haven't had a brutal elbow injury yet!

my elbows would be destroyed if I didn't wear elbow pads to hockey. I used to have little dinky ones and I fell on my elbow once and the pad had moved out of place and it hurt like hell. i guess if you don't mind pain and only want to avoid actual injury then yeah. for me i can have more fun if i'm not worried about falling

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

for me i can have more fun if i'm not worried about falling

I would argue that MTB is much the same OP. Pads inspire confidence

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I have a muckynutz rear fender on my Ripley AF, though I still caught a rock in the upper linkage that was crushed and made some nice gouges. I added a bit of electrical tape across the upper linkage to fix this issue.

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 31, 2023

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I have a muckynutz rear fender on my Ripley AF, though I still caught a rock in the upper linkage that was crushed and made some nice gouges. I added a bit of electrical tape across the upper linkage to fix this issue.

Interesting OP though I don’t think I can make a mess of the bike aesthetics with a number like this. Does yours have the little rubber flap by the linkages?

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
If the rubber flap you mentioned is what I think it is, that was primarily meant to protect the lower link (and mine eventually fell off). The upper link is the nutcracker. I ended up with an RRP Proguard on mine, but i had to cut a hole in it to stop the back of the upper link from rubbing on the mudguard itself :D

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

MuadDib Atreides posted:

I would argue that MTB is much the same OP. Pads inspire confidence

maybe i should just save some money and wear my hockey equipment on my bike

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

prom candy posted:

my elbows would be destroyed if I didn't wear elbow pads to hockey. I used to have little dinky ones and I fell on my elbow once and the pad had moved out of place and it hurt like hell. i guess if you don't mind pain and only want to avoid actual injury then yeah. for me i can have more fun if i'm not worried about falling

For whatever reason I just don't fall on my elbows I guess. Also it's nice to have my elbows nice and pointy in case someone wants to test them in the corners or in front of the net!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I like the ground keeper fenders for the front. Plus you can make a custom one for fairly cheap.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Down to three bikes: Riley and Tallboy and the dark horse known as the Ripley AF. Tallboy only comes in carbon now but has the closest shop to me. Riley is it’s direct competition but everyone appears to life the AF. Will try to ride them all before throwing my money away.

I always wear knee and elbow pads but I’m older than many here and heal much slower than I used to. If we are off pavement my wife is almost always in her full face helmet and full pads.

Ropes4u posted:

Down to three bikes: Riley and Tallboy and the dark horse known as the Ripley AF. Tallboy only comes in carbon now but has the closest shop to me. Riley is it’s direct competition but everyone appears to love the AF. Will try to ride them all before throwing my money away.

I always wear knee and elbow pads but I’m older than many here and heal much slower than I used to. If we are off pavement my wife is almost always in her full face helmet and full pads.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 1, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I am having a hell of a time getting my front wheel up more than an inch or two, either for manuals, wheelies, getting up on curbs, etc. I'm not trying to be a manual superstar or anything but there are lots of situations where I'm walking my bike because I need to get up and over fairly low obstacles and I can't do it. I went up to a field this morning with the intention of just hurling myself backwards and trying to loop out and my wheel pops like 2 inches off the ground and then slams back down. I'm pretty drat small (barely 5'5") and my bike feels like a bit of a monster to me. I tried just standing over the rear axel and pulling the handlebars up and back but I can barely reach them and with 29" wheels I can also barely stand over the tire. I know it comes down to technique but am I fighting an uphill battle here?

Edit: the bike is a Trek Roscoe 7 size S which according to the size guide is good for 5'1" to 5'5"

prom candy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 1, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

prom candy posted:

I am having a hell of a time getting my front wheel up more than an inch or two, either for manuals, wheelies, getting up on curbs, etc. I'm not trying to be a manual superstar or anything but there are lots of situations where I'm walking my bike because I need to get up and over fairly low obstacles and I can't do it. I went up to a field this morning with the intention of just hurling myself backwards and trying to loop out and my wheel pops like 2 inches off the ground and then slams back down. I'm pretty drat small (barely 5'5") and my bike feels like a bit of a monster to me. I tried just standing over the rear axel and pulling the handlebars up and back but I can barely reach them and with 29" wheels I can also barely stand over the tire. I know it comes down to technique but am I fighting an uphill battle here?

It's hard to describe but you need to get back over the rear of the bike enough that the bike doesn't want to slam down on the front again. I hear what you're saying but it's not impossible for shorter riders on big bikes to do this. You really need to get back and let the front rise up.

The other thing is that if you're trying to get the front wheel up on something, normally you also use a pedal kick to further help lift the front wheel. You kinda need the pedal kick to help bring the front wheel up regardless of why you want it up.

This kind of thing is really difficult to help with online but hopefully watching YouTube videos etc will help.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
If I'm popping over something on a trail, I'll press into the front of the bike first as well. The rebound on the suspension can help get some initial pop.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

prom candy posted:

Edit: the bike is a Trek Roscoe 7 size S which according to the size guide is good for 5'1" to 5'5"

Prop your phone up somewhere and record yourself trying to lift the wheel. I found that there was a huge disconnect between what I *thought* I was doing and what my body was actually doing.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

prom candy posted:

This helped me https://youtu.be/Q7reWhxakUQ?si=4dtFCxvqui0su8P2

I often don’t get my butt back far enough, or I don’t keep my arms straight.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Use your suspension to your advantage. Push down and time the rebound to pull back as it comes back up. Eventually you'll do it enough that you don't think about the timing.

Trying to always get your front wheel up with a pedal stroke isn't always possible.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

I haven't had time for my mountain bike in a while but I was camping with my family at some trails I've done before this weekend so took my bike in the hope I'd get a chance to ride. In the end it was about 30 minutes before sunset before I got away and I'm very glad I took the last minute decision to fit my front light. I got to the top of the trails in good light but by the time I was back in the trees it was properly dark and I ended up walking a bunch of features that I'd ridden fine last time, partly because I'm out of practice but also because riding in the dark was really intense. That said the closest I came to coming off was on the new swooping blue trail back down to the campsite when I got overconfident.

I'd probably try night riding again some time, but not after a 4 month break and ideally not on my own.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

When I trail ride at night I usually pick easier trails. I also recommend two lights. Bar light shows the trail in front of you, helmet light let's you look around and still see.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

As soon as you're in a turn, the handlebar light becomes mostly useless.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Depends on the light, some have a pretty good pattern with a wider spread closer to the front wheel. With my light and motion taz 1200 I can basically ride trails without a second light on my helmet (but I do have a helmet light- an outbound hangover that's pretty good but could be brighter).

Annoyingly, the battery on that isn't holding a good charge after 2-3 years and l+m wanted more than I paid for the light to repair it. Plus the mounting strap could be better. My bontrager ion pro doesn't have as good of a beam pattern and is not as bright despite having a higher listed lumen rating so I'm shopping for something new. Maybe an outbound, but I have to pay retail for those. Been looking at exposure lights as some of them are on a pretty good sale through distributors right now but it's hard to find much specific info about how the work or beam patterns and such. The reflex adaptive brightness thing seems neat though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

the mount on exposure lights is pretty garbage. it’ll start rattling and they’ll tell you to gently caress off.

i like my lupine for street riding but it’s beaucoup bucks.

maybe that new lezyne e2000, but you’d need a pack to feed it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My niterider 4200 is plenty on its own, no need for a second light. I am not a fan of the connector or the mount or the lens and I keep thinking about replacing it. But, it throws a ton of light everywhere. Including up into the sky :(

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Redvenom posted:

Went OTB at the weekend over a drop I should've managed. Tweaked myself a bit, quite annoyed.

Ordered a Brand-X Ascend II dropper post this morning. Unfortunately the range of options available in my seatpost diameter are limited and best I can get is a 105mm drop which is less than half my seatpost height. Oh well, better than nothing. If I like the dropper experience then I can always start saving towards a newer bike instead.

Thread follow up: I fitted this at the weekend and despite a few teething issues (post dropping without pressing the lever, etc) it turned out really well. The lever is a bit janky but I'm running a triple up front so I will just have to wait until I replace that to get something better. The post/seat fitment and external cable routing was fine, the barrel connector to the lever doesn't feel great - it doesn't seem to have anywhere to fit into the lever itself, so it sits a bit proud and would easily let dirt into the cable housing.

I took it for a shakedown on some super local footpaths (didn't want to ride 20 mins to trails and find it failed). Initial impressions are that dropper posts are truly game changing. Rode a flight of stairs that usually ends up with me needing a colostomy bag for a week, made a breeze of roots and rocks, and even managed to pop the front up onto a huge step up that I've never made before. Once I got going the dropper and lever itself were absolutely satisfactory, the biggest challenge was needing to dial my brain into doing something more than changing gears as I approached obstacles.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Dubbing up for images (gently caress typing on a phone)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My outbound lights are significantly nicer than the MagicShine setup I had before it. Helmet light with no battery pack is awesome. The lights seem to preserve shadows so you don’t lose all depth perception. If you do decent amounts of night riding and can afford it I say go for it.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Redvenom posted:

Dubbing up for images (gently caress typing on a phone)

Beautiful. Was my dream bike when I first started riding.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm part of a night riding group who go out twice a week in the evenings so having decent lights is pretty essential especially when winter comes around. I finally splurged this year and invested in some exposure head and bar lights (got them quite a bit cheaper from their outlet store) and wow, they are insanely bright lol.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
Yeah, it was never supposed to be a night ride and I only made a last minute decision to take the light because I had it on hand (It's usually my commuting light so lives in my bike stuff bag). I wasn't really prepared for how fast it would get dark in the trees.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Has anyone purchased from N+1 bikes? That 25% off the Ripley with free upgrade to XT is enticing..

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Ropes4u posted:

Has anyone purchased from N+1 bikes? That 25% off the Ripley with free upgrade to XT is enticing..

I did this to Denver. Free shipping and no tax. A+. I went Ripmo AF NGX for $2700 all in. They set it before shipping, so putting it together was just a matter of fitting the bars. Surprised me, they repackaged the whole thing very well. The shipping took longer than I expected, but it was over 4th of July weekend. I think it took them 2 weeks to actually send it out, only a week to arrive from then. I sent an email to ask about it and they responded quickly.

I had 2 other friends go through them, which convinced me to pull the trigger, and their bikes arrived faster than my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ropes4u posted:

I'd jump on the XT upgrade if it applied to the Ripley AF SLX. At 3k, it's still a good deal. The Deore is no joke at 2600, but a BikeYoke dropper is really tempting.